Page 1 of 2
Hey UGers,

I've got a no name brand V. The Humbuckers in it are alright, but I feel I could make it sound a lot better by replacing them (I don't really have much experience with humbucker sounds since I've only ever owned a S/S/S Strat before this). I'm not even sure what brand my humbuckers are.

I'm looking for cheap PASSIVE pickups that'll get the job done. I'd like to keep the price under $150 too.

The kind of stuff I play is melodic death metal, sludge metal, and black metal:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AA6LqVfjMcg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MdsSjXHahao

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EaytIdLYtPc

Also, here's a video of me playing a doom metal song with this guitar so you know what it sounds like:
http://youtu.be/hfRGJY_DOqw
Cassie likes to swallow
Bleeding will not stop
I left Cassie hollow
Cut you with my cock
What kind of amp do you have?

The amp is going to change tone more than pickups.

but, if you're dead set on pups, D Activator would be my choice.
Main Rig:

Epiphone MKH Les Paul Custom 7 - Ronda
Ibanez RG8 "Scarlet" - AKA The Rambanez
Fender Strat "Danielle"/"Dani"
Line 6 POD HD Pro
Randall XL 4x12

Come join us...

Purchase list: Jim Root Tele, Jim Root Jazzmaster, MTM20
Quote by Charvel1995
What kind of amp do you have?

The amp is going to change tone more than pickups.

I have a Fender frontman 25r amp.
Cassie likes to swallow
Bleeding will not stop
I left Cassie hollow
Cut you with my cock
as mentioned already, your amp is going to be a much more important part of the equation here. based on the video, your sound is a bit muddy and lacking in highs, so adjusting your amp properly could make a huge difference
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things...
Changing your amp is a much better solution

It simply affects you tone more than the pickup in your guitar
What amp do you suggest?
Cassie likes to swallow
Bleeding will not stop
I left Cassie hollow
Cut you with my cock
I'm just gonna go ahead and recommend the Vyper.

Until we get a budget. until then, Vyper.
Main Rig:

Line 6 POD HD Pro
Randall XL 4x12

Come join us...

Quote by GS LEAD 5
^Budget? new or used? Any preference for tube/modelling? Any pedals? Location?

$200
Either new or used, doesn't matter
Solid state
No pedals
Lebanon, PA
Cassie likes to swallow
Bleeding will not stop
I left Cassie hollow
Cut you with my cock
I've read many threads where people keep praising the Vypyr as the ultimate amplifier for a guitarist on a budget. I see such recommendations so often that I'm starting to think that most people in here are somehow affiliated with Peavey (btw 5150/6505 are also frequently recommended even when the person asking for advice is not looking for ultra high-gain tones). To me, Peavey Vypyrs are the same bunches of digital crap as any other modeling amp. People always bash such amps as blackstar ht series and say that there is solid state crap going on here, but FFS there is still more "tube power" there than in any modeling amp out there. I am personally not a fan of these blackstar amps as I think they sound pretty thin, but I also think that so frequently recommended Peavey Vypyr is not so much better.

Just my 2c
Never once have I seen it be referred to as the ultimate amp. It's a damn good one though. Peavey is highly regarded as having some of the best metal amplifiers on the market. The Vyper happens to be a good amp and can be had for relatively low prices on the used market.

The 6505/6505+/5150 gets recommended so much because it can cover a lot of genres. It won't have Fender or Vox style cleans, but for thrash, black, death, whatever type of metal you want to play it can handle it, I had one, it can do more than ultra high gain. It's marketed as such an amp, but isn't limited to ultra high gain. If people here are/were affiliated with Peavey, they wouldn't recommend Orange or Marshall, that's just poor business. Have you ever played a 6505 long enough to tinker with the tones you can get from it? Judging from your statement I'd guess not.

On topic: Not sure about used prices, but look into Randall stuff. They make some quality solid state amps. Although tube would suit you better in the long run. Personally, tube distortion sounds better than ss distortion.
Main Rig:

Line 6 POD HD Pro
Randall XL 4x12

Come join us...

I'll look into that, thanks.
Cassie likes to swallow
Bleeding will not stop
I left Cassie hollow
Cut you with my cock
Quote by terribleguitar
I've read many threads where people keep praising the Vypyr as the ultimate amplifier for a guitarist on a budget. I see such recommendations so often that I'm starting to think that most people in here are somehow affiliated with Peavey (btw 5150/6505 are also frequently recommended even when the person asking for advice is not looking for ultra high-gain tones). To me, Peavey Vypyrs are the same bunches of digital crap as any other modeling amp. People always bash such amps as blackstar ht series and say that there is solid state crap going on here, but FFS there is still more "tube power" there than in any modeling amp out there. I am personally not a fan of these blackstar amps as I think they sound pretty thin, but I also think that so frequently recommended Peavey Vypyr is not so much better.

Just my 2c

Peavey Vypyrs are suggested because they are one of the best modeling amps around. If someone is on a budget and wants a lot of effects people will suggest the Vypyr or the Mustang. No one here has ever claimed it's the ultimate amp.

I also don't see how you can call Vypyrs digital crap considering they're analog.
Quote by FatalGear41
In the end, the only question is: what bass would Jesus play?

I think he's a Fender Jazz guy.
If you want cheap, check out dragonfire pickups. I have an old set of screamers and they are really really good for the money. I was playing some maiden and Greatful Dead with my beater Bich that has those in it today. I also use that guitar tuned down to B and they work good for that also. I.E. Prong,fear factory

Duncan Invaders would be good too.

Both will be better than whats in the guitar and will make a difference with any amp.
What the hell!!!
Last edited by danvwman at Jan 1, 2013,
Quote by terribleguitar

Just my 2c

Sounds to me like you're the biased one here.

Suggest a tube amp that matches the Vypyr(for high gain) for under $200.
Peavey Bandit 112
EDIT: Oh, you want a tube amp. No, no such thing, I must admit.
Last edited by terribleguitar at Jan 2, 2013,
It's Death Metal. Just use the raunchiest distortion you can find through a Bass Cab.

Quote by EyeNon15
Thats too bad, I was under the impression I was arguing something profound

Quote by StewieSwan
my eyes are rolling harder than fred durst

You might be able to score a crate blue voodoo combo for that price, valve king or a vypyrtube not including shipping, Also you can grab Randall combos as well. Check out tx, eBay, pawn shops, cl you might find something cool.
Quote by joshua garcia
I was incredibly drunk and only really remember writing a fanfic where ESP was getting porked by a pony.

Quote by guitar0player
I'd honestly fap to anything with a set of genitals as long as I find it aesthetically appealing.
Quote by terribleguitar
Peavey Bandit 112
EDIT: Oh, you want a tube amp. No, no such thing, I must admit.

Just kidding
Quote by Shredwizard445
Go ahead and spend your money, I don't care. It won't make you sound better.

Quote by Shredwizard445
Sure upgrading your gear will make you sound better.

Last edited by Mephaphil at Jan 2, 2013,
Seymour Duncan Distortion or Gibson 500T should do well for that old school DM. Maybe a DiMarzio Super Distoriton.

That sound is honestly really mellow. Not what I think of when I think of DM at all. It's almost PAFy (may even be!). So yeah... definitely give those 3 a look.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Last edited by Offworld92 at Jan 2, 2013,
Quote by terribleguitar

Just my 2c

The reason the Vypyr is so highly recommended is for precisely the reason that you're wrong - it's not digital crap. The rest of the modelers all are. The Vypyr is the only one that has a true analog design. Real analog distortion. It sounds amazing compared to the other entry levelers.

People bash Blackstar mostly because they're a shitty company who thrive on false advertising. I and I think others don't want to see them supported because of their practices. On top of that their low end amps just kind of suck. These are the guys who brought out the masterpiece that was the JCM900 after all.

"tube power" doesn't really necessarily mean anything anyway. Look at the Vox modelers. They have a 12AX7 in it, but it doesn't do shit. The Blackstars have tubes, but pretty much all of the dirt is coming from opamps.

The Vypyr doesn't need a tube gimmick to sound great, it's just designed well in the first place.

If you really can't tell the difference between it and the other digital shit out... well get your ears checked.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
These are the guys who brought out the masterpiece that was the JCM900 after all.

Hold on! You mean the engineers of Blackstar once worked for Marshall and developed the JCM900 Dual Reverb? Wow
Quote by Offworld92
The reason the Vypyr is so highly recommended is for precisely the reason that you're wrong - it's not digital crap. The rest of the modelers all are. The Vypyr is the only one that has a true analog design. Real analog distortion. It sounds amazing compared to the other entry levelers.

The Vypyr doesn't need a tube gimmick to sound great, it's just designed well in the first place.

WAAAIIT!!!! I always thought Vypyr was a digital modeler, just a good one. The reason why a beginner like me went for real tube amp like Valveking because I use my Behringer pedal (boss hm2 clone) for having fun with Swedish death metal sound for time to time, and didnt even give Vypyrs a second thought because its quite known fact that pedals and digital modelers do not match. But if Vypyr is all analog, that should mean the pedal should work just fine!?

These are the guys who brought out the masterpiece that was the JCM900 after all.

Implying that JCM900 is poor. But then again this is coming from person who loves old Valvestates, so...

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
If bugs me when people talk about the Vypyr as a one trick pony. I have the 75w witha sanpera 2 and its been a godsend for me. I use if for 3 different cover bands and my originals. I use if for classic rock, soul, blues and modern rock. If you can tweak and EQ you can dial in great tones. I got mine for $200 used.
try to save up for the used peavey vypyr tube 60
Ibanez VBT700
Randall Diavlo RD5H
Peavey Vypyr 112 (WGS Veteran 30)
Boss SD1
Zoom G1on

Squier Chris Aiken Precision Bass (EMG GZR)
Ampeg 108B
Quote by MaaZeus
WAAAIIT!!!! I always thought Vypyr was a digital modeler, just a good one. The reason why a beginner like me went for real tube amp like Valveking because I use my Behringer pedal (boss hm2 clone) for having fun with Swedish death metal sound for time to time, and didnt even give Vypyrs a second thought because its quite known fact that pedals and digital modelers do not match. But if Vypyr is all analog, that should mean the pedal should work just fine!?

Implying that JCM900 is poor. But then again this is coming from person who loves old Valvestates, so...

Nope. Vypyrs are analog. All the circuitry is analog, hell even the SHarc (Super Harvard Architecture) processor is used exclusively for analog equipment. For all intents and purposes it is an analog processor.

This is one of the reasons Vypyrs are so highly praised. The signal going in from the guitar does NOT need to be converted to digital so there is no signal degradation/loss like you find in the spiders.

Heres a test. Grab a Fender MIM Strat and a Gibson Les Paul. Play both through a spider. You will notice that they sound almost identical. The reason for this is because the analog guitar signal must be converted to digital so the onboard processor knows what to do with it. The spider then has circuitry to compensate for the original analog signal loss (which sucks) which is another reason the two above guitars sound nearly the same.

This is not the case however for the Fender Mustang, I don't know much about it's circuitry so I don't know how they got around the conversion problem.

Back to the Vypyr. Since the Vypyr is analog there is no conversion, no signal degradation, so you hear a more natural tone from the amp.

Okay I'm done.
Quote by FatalGear41

I put a Rockfield Mafia in the bridge of my no-brand japanese guitar and I favor it for metalcore over my Gibson SG Standard. It picks up well if you down-tune, and has a gritty but clear sound. In case you're wondering what bands use it - I know Red Chord does, but there's a full list of sponsored artists on Rockfield's website.
It's all about feel
Death metal, solid state, cheap. Sounds like you need a Crate.
Quote by Charvel1995
I'm just gonna go ahead and recommend the Vyper.

Until we get a budget. until then, Vyper.

seriously? the peavy vypyr? they suck, i had one for a few years and even got the foot controller foe it. ok it sounds OK but its too complicated and there are pletty of amps out there that have X100 better sound, look around and find one you like, dont make the mistake i did and go for what people say are good.
Hmmm...

I'd consider:

1) Lace Pickups- Alumitone Deathbuckers or Matt Pike Dirty Heshers
3) Tesla pickups- maybe OPUS-1
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

alhaq369
It is very impotent to success a business.
Quote by ilikekfc
seriously? the peavy vypyr? they suck, i had one for a few years and even got the foot controller foe it. ok it sounds OK but its too complicated and there are pletty of amps out there that have X100 better sound, look around and find one you like, dont make the mistake i did and go for what people say are good.

Really? Really? It was too hard to figure out? First I've heard of this.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Alucard817
Really? Really? It was too hard to figure out? First I've heard of this.

I mean, it's so hard! There's stuff like... Rec... and DZL... like wtf is that. And Tubescreamer? What? Low mid high EQ? Post and pre gain, what's the difference?

OT: The Vypyr is great man.
Legion!
Original 1969 Fender Jazzmaster
Ibanez RG8
Jackson JS32R Dinky "Curry"
Schecter KM7
83 Gibson Explorer "Kimmy"
MiM Fender Jazz Bass "Pancho"
Ibanez SR485
Peavey 6505+ 112
Line 6 POD HD500
^ Even though it is pretty funny, a beginner honestly wouldn't know what any of that is.

Not that that's an excuse.

I got a Vypyr before I ever discovered this forum. I played it and a Spider and a Vox VT, and I very simply just sat down, played some simple riffs, and listened very closely. Even to my undeveloped ear, I could tell the Vypyr was a little better than the rest. My dad wanted me to get the Spider.

So...

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
It could be worth looking into a RAT clone pedal. Check out some YT clips to see if they can get you where you need to be. Some of the clones have multiple clipping settings that can send you from hell and back.
Hydroxic acid, kills thousands of people every year. Studies have shown lakes and rivers all over North America contain high levels hydroxic acid. Currently governments have taken no action against this life threatening chemical.
Quote by Alucard817
Nope. Vypyrs are analog. All the circuitry is analog, hell even the SHarc (Super Harvard Architecture) processor is used exclusively for analog equipment. For all intents and purposes it is an analog processor.

This is one of the reasons Vypyrs are so highly praised. The signal going in from the guitar does NOT need to be converted to digital so there is no signal degradation/loss like you find in the spiders.

Heres a test. Grab a Fender MIM Strat and a Gibson Les Paul. Play both through a spider. You will notice that they sound almost identical. The reason for this is because the analog guitar signal must be converted to digital so the onboard processor knows what to do with it. The spider then has circuitry to compensate for the original analog signal loss (which sucks) which is another reason the two above guitars sound nearly the same.

This is not the case however for the Fender Mustang, I don't know much about it's circuitry so I don't know how they got around the conversion problem.

Back to the Vypyr. Since the Vypyr is analog there is no conversion, no signal degradation, so you hear a more natural tone from the amp.

Okay I'm done.

Well son of a... Despite my research I ended up making a mistake anyway. Not that Valveking is bad amp, infact I love it, but Vypyr is so versatile and if you are correct still can take pedals. God damnit.

Thanks for the information though.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Quote by Offworld92
^ Even though it is pretty funny, a beginner honestly wouldn't know what any of that is.

Not that that's an excuse.

Even when I started, I had a vague idea of what the EQ options did. Sometimes you just gotta sit down and play with things.
Legion!
Original 1969 Fender Jazzmaster
Ibanez RG8
Jackson JS32R Dinky "Curry"
Schecter KM7
83 Gibson Explorer "Kimmy"
MiM Fender Jazz Bass "Pancho"
Ibanez SR485
Peavey 6505+ 112
Line 6 POD HD500
doesent get more death metal than Boss HM-2 trough a clean tube amp!
Nothing wrong with your amp man. The 25r is not a bad amp for what it is... Id play with your knobs a bit more. I dont think theres anything wrong with your guitar or pups either and I doubt you would notice much of a difference if you were to switch them out.

whoever says you cant use pedals with a solid state amp is just wrong. Throwing a metal zone pedal infront of an isp decimator would be one way to go, but honestly I bet you could get the tone you want simply by putting a $90 digitech rp90 in line.
Quote by dropb81
Nothing wrong with your amp man. The 25r is not a bad amp for what it is... Id play with your knobs a bit more. I dont think theres anything wrong with your guitar or pups either and I doubt you would notice much of a difference if you were to switch them out.

whoever says you cant use pedals with a solid state amp is just wrong. Throwing a metal zone pedal infront of an isp decimator would be one way to go, but honestly I bet you could get the tone you want simply by putting a $90 digitech rp90 in line.

I've played with it a bit and it sounds a little better, but it still doesn't please me. I must've missed whoever said you can't use a pedal with a solid state...I mean, I use a BOSS DS-1 for Nirvana covers...

A friend of mine who's in a metal band uses a Crate cab and a peavey head, so I'll probably look into that. And I'll still look into pickups. Those DiMarzios people were talking about in the beginning don't sound half bad. All I have to do is have this stuff hold me off until I find a job and am able to buy a better guitar and amp.

Also, coincidentally, I was looking into buying a Metal Zone pedal a couple of months ago when I heard how it's got very high distortion. I was going to use it for an Acid Bath kind of sound.
Cassie likes to swallow
Bleeding will not stop
I left Cassie hollow
Cut you with my cock
Page 1 of 2