Page 4 of 15
Quote by Hydra150
So, does anyone have any advice on what to eat when trying to lose weight?

All my favourite foods seem to be deep fried or made/topped with fatty cream, finding stuff that's appetising and not too calorific isn't so easy. I read that it's better to have many smaller meals a day rather than one or two giant portions, and I'm trying to get used to only eating when I feel hungry, not just when I have the opportunity to eat.
Grilled chicken instead of fried. Look for healthy versions of the things you like to eat. Or healthy substitutes. Give me an example of a couple of dinners you'd cook at home and I'll see what I can do.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Hey, even KFC here have started doing grilled chicken instead of fried. Have they started that in the states?
Quote by thePTOD
I love you.
Quote by Hydra150

All my favourite foods seem to be deep fried or made/topped with fatty cream, finding stuff that's appetising and not too calorific isn't so easy. I read that it's better to have many smaller meals a day rather than one or two giant portions, and I'm trying to get used to only eating when I feel hungry, not just when I have the opportunity to eat.

Drink a ton of water.
More water=less hunger=less food=less weight.
Get more fiber. Cereal/eggs for breakfast. Cold cuts on whole wheat bread for lunch. Something grilled/baked for dinner.
Drink a large glass of water before each meal. wait 10 minutes. Eat half of the meal. wait 5 minutes. If you're still hungry. finish it. the end
FORZA CATANIA
Quote by Junglie
Hey, even KFC here have started doing grilled chicken instead of fried. Have they started that in the states?

But then it's not even KFC
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Quote by WCPhils
But then it's not even KFC

I know. Not something I'd ever try
Quote by thePTOD
I love you.
Quote by Junglie
Goals:
Quit smoking

Be realistic mate: that's never gonna happen
Quote by BlackLuster
Be realistic mate: that's never gonna happen

Bitch, please. I've only smoked a few today
Quote by thePTOD
I love you.
Hit me up for finally reaching that 100 pushups.
Quote by PsiGuy60
Banned because f*ck you Hebriqui.
I'd been going for a month or so.

Quote by Peres.T.Peanut
oh **** you
A good opportunity to kick myself back into a bit of shape I think.
I've been meaning to work out some for a little while, but could never be bothered with actually doing so.

Sign me up for:

100 Pushups
200 Situps

I also aspire to run a half marathon, but that is something for later, not going to do that now. I'll wait for spring to come around to start running on a regular basis.
Anyone got something like the 100 pushups thing for ass/hips/thighs area? I know this place is male-dominated but us poor women with a huge lower area need some different exercises

Also, count me in for 100 pushups.

And finally. How do you know what is the right amount to eat? If I put work into it I can eat moderately healthy, but I don't know how much/how often to eat. I feel like if I eat three proper meals and two snacks I'll never lose weight :/
Quote by suckersdream
Anyone got something like the 100 pushups thing for ass/hips/thighs area? I know this place is male-dominated but us poor women with a huge lower area need some different exercises

And finally. How do you know what is the right amount to eat? If I put work into it I can eat moderately healthy, but I don't know how much/how often to eat. I feel like if I eat three proper meals and two snacks I'll never lose weight :/
Question one: squats

Question two: http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm

Also check out the My Fitness App.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Sign me up. I stopped exercising diring exams and I've not got back into the swing yet. My main goal is to just gain more weight/muscle. I'm pretty toned as it is but I have a tiny frame.
Quote by ErikLensherr
Did you hear about the cockney Godfather?

He made them an offer they couldn't understand.
Damn, that natural high you get after an intense workout is amazing!
e-married to Jack (bladez)
Btw guys this is the best one of these threads we've ever had.

So let's keep it up.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano

I'm down, I kinda ****ed the dog in my first semester and gained back almost 20 pounds after spending quite a while losing nearly 80. If I can get down another 60 July, I'll be happy. So that's the goal I'm going in with.
Quote by Hydra150

Whole grain pastas work really well for me. I was eating those every day for 4 months one semester while I was working out quite regularly as well, and I got down to 8% body fat. They're cheap as hell, and keep you full for a good while. Chicken is good for protein, but I despise grilled chicken, so I usually end up eating lean beef. Not as good for you, but I really really hate chicken.
Quote by Hydra150

Personally, I think the benefits of meal timing, and supporters of intermittent fasting would agree, is really just up to personal preference. I prefer sparse meals because it gives me the flexibility to not waste time eating and really, there's only so much I can eat in one sitting. But then again, it is up to personal preference.

An advice, to tie in with what I just said, you need to find activities that distance you from food as much as possible like school, work, exercise, even gaming can work. I sometime drink coffee because I find that it suppresses hunger, or at least the bitter taste it leaves makes food less appealing.
I guess I'll do this... I got a shirt that was a little small...

But then if I get into that, all my other stuff will be slightly large. And I just bough a jacket! Ugh.
This ends now, eat the goddamn beans!
Sign me up.

Just hit 13lbs lost after switching to the Paleo diet back in November after being the same damn weight for two years. This thread might be good to get me exercising alongside that.

LET'S DO IT.
Check out my lyrics! (C4C)

Critical Condition
Tombstone

Quote by SteveHouse
That's actually the point of this. Tell your inner editor to shut the fock up and just write.
I personally don't like eating frequently. 3 meals a day is more than enough for me - I'm trying to avoid skipping breakfast though because if I eat breakfast I don't eat so much at lunch. I can do without snacks and once I start snacking it's very difficult for me to stop so I usually don't eat snacks between my meals, maybe tea/a glass of milk/fruit at the most.

Don't worry about what you think you should be eating at first! Just write down everything that goes in your mouth for a week and it'll be much easier to see where you could be making healthier choices or what you don't NEED to eat. A cookie here and there may not seem like much but if you overdo it, it definitely adds up (which is why I don't trust myself with snacks)

Quote by suckersdream

20 squats --> 30 lunges --> 40 calf raises --> 50 second wall sit --> 100 jumping jacks --> 50 second wall sit --> 40 sumo squats --> 30 leg raises --> 20 squats

- use weights if desired
- no resting
- increase frequency/duration as necessary

idk if this is a good program or what but you don't need to go to a gym or use any equipment for it, I do it when I'm traveling
cat
Started the 100 pushups thing almost a year ago... up to 45 now lol. Guess I'll keep doing that. Maybe some P90X down the line.

Gonna start drinking protein shakes regularly to get my weight up. I'm really skinny and lost 10 pounds that I didn't have to lose around exams and you could really see it in my face. Mostly got that weight back over the holidays though.
I ate 2 bananas earlier. I am so PUMPED.

Would the 100 push up challenge be condicive to gaining muscle/weight or is it more aimed at toning your body?
Quote by ErikLensherr
Did you hear about the cockney Godfather?

He made them an offer they couldn't understand.
Done 2 full body workouts since i signed up. Aching badly today. Got a football (soccer) match tmro and doing some sparring in the evening. Not been pissed in the last 3 days and only smoked about ten fags. ( Was drinking 6-10 pints roughly four nights a week for the past year and smoking 20-25 roll ups a day) Also not been stoned since new years eve and that was pretty much a daily habit for the past 7/8 years.
Noticed my skin is ****ed though and i've had the shakes occasionally, guess thats just part of the detox though lol
Are people going to be doing progress pictures?
Good luck to all those trying to improve their health!
Im also trying to put a stone on. Currently 11 st 2
Quote by steve_muse
I ate 2 bananas earlier. I am so PUMPED.

Would the 100 push up challenge be condicive to gaining muscle/weight or is it more aimed at toning your body?
you need to get in the gym
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano

Back to the gym soon, I think. Just finished the big essay I had to do for the first day of term, my flatmate (gym buddy) is back soon, university gym is open. It's all on.

TBH, what I always struggle with when it comes to fitness is the fear that it never ends. I wish it was like in video-games or something, where you could periodically "get fit" for like, a week, and then that'd last you a while and you could just live normally for a bit. The realisation that from now on I have to take care of my body is just depressing, tbh.
Got an 8 hour shift today, then I gotta go work legs. Ugh. Oh well. Gotta get rid of these chicken legs. It's getting ridiculous.
Quote by Gaiad
Sign me up.

Just hit 13lbs lost after switching to the Paleo diet back in November after being the same damn weight for two years. This thread might be good to get me exercising alongside that.

LET'S DO IT.

I was doing strict Paleo for a coupe months, but I decided I still needed bread. Plus bread is everywhere so it was a bit difficult to completely cut out. Regardless, it really helped me to start eating a lot more fruits and vegetables, and I still cut my bread intake down by a ton. Bread was basically my main source of food.

I don't know how much of it is from changing my diet, but once I started working out I got really lean. I am getting bigger, but it's all muscle. My diet now mainly consists of eggs, turkey, chicken, and a ton of vegetables. Still need to work on getting more fruit. I have been taking a fruit/vegetable supplement capsule for awhile now, I think it's working....?
I have a huge fear if rays.
I'll enter. Currently at 213. Want to get back to my football weight of 190. Goal: Get my 2 mile time back under 13:00.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Last edited by JustRooster at Jan 8, 2013,
Quote by gabcd86
Back to the gym soon, I think. Just finished the big essay I had to do for the first day of term, my flatmate (gym buddy) is back soon, university gym is open. It's all on.

TBH, what I always struggle with when it comes to fitness is the fear that it never ends. I wish it was like in video-games or something, where you could periodically "get fit" for like, a week, and then that'd last you a while and you could just live normally for a bit. The realisation that from now on I have to take care of my body is just depressing, tbh.
It has to be something you want to do; you've got to love it.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano

Quote by element4433
It has to be something you want to do; you've got to love it.

My hope is that once I get somewhere good with my body I won't want to lose it and that'll be the motivation. Because there's not much I enjoy about exercise or not eating biscuits.
Did the intial tests, going to start this program on monday.

I have a wooden floor though, which isn't too bad for pushups, but it's rather uncomfortable for situps and I don't think my bed will be very well suited for that either.

I intend to finish this in 6-7 weeks, as it is a 6-ish week program and I want to get into shape before summer gets here anyway.

I may sign up for fitness at my uni gym later this year.
Walked eight miles today, but then accidentally shared a pizza and chicken burger with my brother for dinner. Still, better than sitting on my arse all day then having an awesomely unhealthy dinner.

Also, had sushi for lunch, not sure if that's good or bad. Don't care, tasted good.
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
Last edited by Hydra150 at Jan 5, 2013,
Quote by ChrisBW
I was doing strict Paleo for a coupe months, but I decided I still needed bread. Plus bread is everywhere so it was a bit difficult to completely cut out. Regardless, it really helped me to start eating a lot more fruits and vegetables, and I still cut my bread intake down by a ton. Bread was basically my main source of food.

I don't know how much of it is from changing my diet, but once I started working out I got really lean. I am getting bigger, but it's all muscle. My diet now mainly consists of eggs, turkey, chicken, and a ton of vegetables. Still need to work on getting more fruit. I have been taking a fruit/vegetable supplement capsule for awhile now, I think it's working....?

That's great.

When I first started, I tried being very strict, which I found didn't work because I had no idea what to eat. Now that I know of more meals, it's not so bad, snacking still kills me though. I need to learn to eat more fruit too, I'm not great at eating it consistently.

And I actually found cutting grains to be pretty easy, other than I have no idea what to eat sliced turkey on anymore, I don't miss it too much. Especially since I have a substitute for spaghetti with spaghetti squash. The weird thing though, has been that ever since I started this diet, I've had the strongest cravings for pizza.

Paleo's been interesting, I didn't start it with any goal set in mind, it's just a diet that made sense to me, so I've tried living that way and it really works for me. Glad it seems to be working for you too.

Quote by guitarxo
I personally don't like eating frequently. 3 meals a day is more than enough for me - I'm trying to avoid skipping breakfast though because if I eat breakfast I don't eat so much at lunch. I can do without snacks and once I start snacking it's very difficult for me to stop so I usually don't eat snacks between my meals, maybe tea/a glass of milk/fruit at the most.

Don't worry about what you think you should be eating at first! Just write down everything that goes in your mouth for a week and it'll be much easier to see where you could be making healthier choices or what you don't NEED to eat. A cookie here and there may not seem like much but if you overdo it, it definitely adds up (which is why I don't trust myself with snacks)

I eat two meals a day with a little snacking inbetween. One meal in the afternoon, and one at night. My stomach can't really handle food before noon and I'm not usually hungry until at least one so I just start with lunch usually. Snacking can be dangerous for me too, that's usually where I cheat the most. >.>

I agree with not worrying too much about what you eat. You don't have completely switch your diet in one day, just start including more fruits and veg and you'll be doing wonders for your body with that alone.
Check out my lyrics! (C4C)

Critical Condition
Tombstone

Quote by SteveHouse
That's actually the point of this. Tell your inner editor to shut the fock up and just write.
The paleo diet seems really interesting but then I read that legumes are out, plus, you know, processed things. And as a vegetarian I kind of need those :/

For everyone here that's in to lose weight, do you want to post what we're eating? That way we can point out to each other things we could change, plus get some ideas/examples of good food when people are eating well. Plus, knowing we're "checking in" with what we're eating might help us think more about what we're eating. eg my day looked like this

breakfast: small bowl of cereal with honey
lunch: spinach and ricotta roll and a small fruit juice
snack: glass of milk and handful of pistachios
dinner: probably going to be alfredo pasta :/

so yeah not the best day. But, plus side, I did at least start making better choices - spinach roll instead of mcdonalds and a small fruit juice instead of a large coke or flavoured milk. woo.

also, expansion on my goals: complete 100 pushups, start my day with a walk/run as many times a week as possible, and lose 10kg. I want to lose it by March but maybe April is more realistic :/
Last edited by suckersdream at Jan 6, 2013,
I guess ill join this, Ive been complemented over this christmas break of being in really good shape but i have personal goals id like to meet over the year, and im on UG regularly, so why not

Currently im at 5foot8 165 lbs and can bench 225lbs with 5 reps in a set.

Id like to by the end of the year be at 175 lbs, bench 245lbs 7 reps, and squat 185lbs 7 times in a set.

Thats my workout goal.
Sell and Promote your music TuneHub!

wy is yer mad at muy gramhar fer?

Quote by jimmyled
jimmybanks youre a genius.

aparently i ar smrt?
Quote by dyingLeper
jimmybanks youre a genius

GO SENS GO
ran a 10k this morning. have a half marathon at the end of the month and a marathon at the beginning of may. hopefully I can keep my training where it needs to be this spring. need to have a more comprehensive plan for diet because my current eat whatever whenever mentality is really messing with my energy levels. good luck to all in this new year! may we all stay motivated and injury free!

^
Congrats!

Just did my leg workout. Goddamn chicken legs. I slept funky last night and my back was all out of whack, so I substituted leg press for squats. I can do I think... 4? reps at 225 for squats. Trying to move that up to 275. Also, I decided to run a mile before every lifting session because my cardio is crap. I was running 3 miles a day over the summer, but I stopped because I hate running and I haven't done cardio for about 3 months.