Whilst messing around with symmetrical patterns such as whole tone (which I love), I noticed that W-H-H on a single string, if shifted up by a semitone on the next string, stays symmetrical within its octave...


... but does it have a name, as in scale-wise? To my ears it's got some kinda harmonic minor thing going on (because of the W+H between iii and iv), but my theory is shit.
Last edited by DaFjory at Jan 2, 2013,
Looks like an ostinato to me.

As far as a scale name for this? I'm unaware of any, due to the step and a half jump between one string to the next.

Edit: Just looked through one of my scale books. While it does list some scales with WH and WW interval jumps, I did not find any that matched the one you put up. Maybe someone else can identify it.
Last edited by KG6_Steven at Jan 2, 2013,
Hmm, ostinato... I've heard that term before. Something about repeating motifs. I'm starting to like this pattern more and more, since its first mode is also symmetrical and has a phrygian dominant(?) flavour to it:


Haven't tried its other modes yet, but otherwise I just love symmetrical fingerings due to their 'off' sound. Nothing more fun than noodling around 3nps whole tone scales right across the neck.