hey guys, so im still trying to get a wah but ive also been thinkin about my bridge pickup. while i do like it (duncan custom and i swaped the ceramic magnet with an alnico 5) i feel its not exactly what im after. im almost thinknig i want something with not as much output.but i want it to be crunchier sounding. is that making sense? i know what sound is in my head, its just hard to describe. i was amazed with this tone slash had considering he has a relativly low output pickup, but it sounds amazing! i also realize he prob had that marshal cranked. but still. anything out there that is as crunchy as this but not a signature product?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JuHC99JUw1E&list=UUmVo7smbyR2PuIgKLawjCTQ&index=54
yeah lower output normally does mean crunchier (as crunchier tends to mean less compressed), assuming it still has enough output to drive the amp into overdrive.

i'd have said the custom 5 was pretty crunchy- and open-sounding considering how hot it is, though. you might end up on a wild goose chase and not end up with anythign better.

what amp are you using? speakers? guitar?
Quote by crownegamers
I saw in a couple of pictures that on Bucketheads Les Paul (only some pictures) that his neck pickup is painted in white. Can anyone explain to me why he would do this, and if there are any pros and cons.

Quote by dspellman
The guy wears a KFC Bucket and a white mask during performances, and you're interested in the color of his pickup covers?

gibson explorer, mahogony, egnater vengance
budget id like to keep at around 120$
oh and speaker are 2 texas heats and 2 swamp thangs
ah right, yeah you have pretty modern-sounding american-voiced speakers there, and neither (especially the swamp thang) is really that crunchy-sounding (especially when you have 4 of them overall).

the speaker clips in my profile were recorded with a custom 5 (as far as i'm aware... i've never actually taken it out to look ) if you want to take a listen. they're terrible, but still. Speakers might be the problem more than the pickups.
Quote by crownegamers
I saw in a couple of pictures that on Bucketheads Les Paul (only some pictures) that his neck pickup is painted in white. Can anyone explain to me why he would do this, and if there are any pros and cons.

Quote by dspellman
The guy wears a KFC Bucket and a white mask during performances, and you're interested in the color of his pickup covers?

i refuse to buy v30's. to many people use them. i dont wanna sound like everyone else, plus i think they sound wayyyy to thin and harsh
Quote by Vicious_Turtle
i refuse to buy v30's. to many people use them. i dont wanna sound like everyone else, plus i think they sound wayyyy to thin and harsh

A lot of people usem for a reason, not because it's something fashionable.

But, if you have quarrels with the tone of them, then by all means look for something different. You might like the G12s or the Seventy80s.
Quote by Dunning~Kruger
Yes I was rude, and I was aggressive and I was offending a large group of people. But I was civlized about it.

Taylor 414CE
Honestly, try simply lowering your Custom 5 first. Lower = brighter, softer and less output, which will be what you get by sticking in anything like the FRED or other similar pickups. Then, if that doesn't do it for you, you know you need to go right down to a back-to-basics underwound A2 (as Slash and damn near everybody else uses); SD Seth Lover, Alnico II Pro, Gibson BurstBucker #1 and #2, etc. For something in the middle of the PAF-copies and more modern mid-output humbuckers, try a Pearly Gates. You may also want to experiment with A4 or A3 magnets, as these have more bite to them than A2s without the modern scoop of A5s.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by Vicious_Turtle

i never said you should buy v30s. for crunchy tones i'd be looking at greenbacks or g12h30s (or other manufacturers' variations on that theme).

Quote by MrFlibble
Honestly, try simply lowering your Custom 5 first. Lower = brighter, softer and less output, which will be what you get by sticking in anything like the FRED or other similar pickups.

that's also a good idea. always start with the easiest and cheapest fix first
Quote by crownegamers

Quote by dspellman