Page 1 of 3
devourke
Banned
843 IQ
I just realised a few minutes ago that although I've seen a lot of American TV shows and movies which involve people driving in cars and whatnot, I've not once seen a roundabout. I knew most states don't have learner plates and I thought that was weird as shit (maybe a little dangerous), but I can't believe I never noticed the lack of roundabouts in American media. Do you guys actually have no roundabouts?

For reference these are roundabouts:

ali.guitarkid7
Gets Easier
2,302 IQ
Haven't you ever seen a humorous montage of someone being chased around a roundabout for minutes?

You've seen nothing.
Quote by Aeolian Harmony
Ali priori / Ali posteriori
Quote by GuitarGod_92
Jesus christ Ali is a nutcase

I actually feel sorry for him, like seriously, get help
angusfan16
butts
578 IQ
I don't around where i live, and thank god for it. We'd be car wreck city.
Sail upon the open skies
Dirge Humani
Tyler
282 IQ
There's a small one in front of the train station in my town.

American cities generally don't need these, since they were usually planned out and have almost all the streets laid out in a grid.
Quote by Hydra150
I tried to open the kitchen door and accidentally turned the light off instead

now googling "how to pasta"
Junglie
134 IQ
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
Haven't you ever seen a humorous montage of someone being chased around a roundabout for minutes?

You've seen nothing.

I can't find it, but there's that scene on The Simpsons where they visit England and drive into a roundabout
Quote by thePTOD
I love you.
SilentOverseer
Overseer of Vault 101
149 IQ
There are a ton of them in NC...
We are Eternal, All this Pain is just Illusion
devourke
Banned
843 IQ
Quote by bradulator
wtf is that gay shit

You give way to the left (I'm assuming you guys give way the opposite way to NZ) and people to your right give way to you. You go around the circle until your exit and then you exit and drive away. When you're only driving in urban areas, it's way more convenient than traffic lights.
FireFromTheVoid
Strange Juice
96 IQ
I`ve seen some, they`re usually annoying though.
One of the third friendliest users
Stratkat's pet

Quote by FireFromTheVoid
I'll come out 3 years after the end of the world

snipelfritz
Senior Fun Correspondent
1,554 IQ
My county became obsessed with roundabouts in the last half decade or so. Now, they're everywhere. Naturally, people are pissed off and confused despite the fact that they are actually incredibly simple.

Is there someone coming at you on your left?
Yes: Don't go.
No: Go.

It's actually that easy. And just follow the lines on the lanes.

Side note, one guy was drunk and rammed straight into the hideous statue in the middle of the roundabout near our downtown.
http://www.livinglakecountry.com/oconomowocfocus/policeandcourts/drunken-driver-takes-out-roundabout-sculpture-sp708fk-171390951.html
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
Todd Hart
Do Sadists go to Hell?
153 IQ
inb4 Americans say that roundabouts are shit/stupid and that they are superior because they don't have them.

Oh wait.
...Stapling helium to penguins since 1949.
Saint78
julian wells
1,760 IQ
Quote by bradulator
wtf is that gay shit

this
you're a stone fox
stonyman65
Unregistered User
809 IQ
We have them here, but not many. We tend to just stick to the classic 4-way street.
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
thrashdeth
Metal Elitist
374 IQ
We have them, but they are extremely uncommon.
Quote by Diamond Dave

Things that restored my faith in humanity this year: 26
Things that removed all faith in humanity this year: 1,563,745,234 (estimated)

so that's a result of -1,563,745,208 faith points in humanity lost, which is actually up from last year!
PsykoFlounder
45 IQ
My town installed one about six months ago, and then removed it about three months ago. Pointless waste of ****ing tax money.
Bushinarin
UG Senior Member
808 IQ
There are virtually none in Pennsylvania, but they're all over the place in New Jersey. I think they're kind of inconvenient.
I've decided that my signature is terrible. I'm open to suggestions.

Click me, or I'll die.

# Un-nominated in UG Top 100,
devourke
Banned
843 IQ
Quote by Bushinarin
There are virtually none in Pennsylvania, but they're all over the place in New Jersey. I think they're kind of inconvenient.

Isn't having traffic lights at every intersection more inconvenient? That seems like such a pain in the ass.
coman664
66 IQ
I only know of one that's nearby, and you have to look for the freakin' thing.
Dirge Humani
Tyler
282 IQ
Quote by devourke
Isn't having traffic lights at every intersection more inconvenient? That seems like such a pain in the ass.

There's generally only lights at very busy intersections, everywhere else is stop signs.
Quote by Hydra150
I tried to open the kitchen door and accidentally turned the light off instead

now googling "how to pasta"
captainsnazz
~
578 IQ
American roads are all grid like, it's really weird to look at on google maps for someone from England.
I thought our roundabouts were bad, but in France they're even more retarded. Most ridiculous example:
Arc de Triomphe in Paris

Holy shit it is so dangerous. There aren't any lanes or anything, and the French drive like they don't want to live anyway.

Also, devourke I thought you were murican?
bradulator
normcore
2,448 IQ
Quote by devourke
You give way to the left (I'm assuming you guys give way the opposite way to NZ) and people to your right give way to you. You go around the circle until your exit and then you exit and drive away. When you're only driving in urban areas, it's way more convenient than traffic lights.

Seems confusing.

Good thing I live in America, land of the free and home of the non-confusing.
slipknot5678
UG Monkey
670 IQ
There were a few where I used to live but I haven't seen any in Arizona.
devourke
Banned
843 IQ
Quote by Dirge Humani
There's generally only lights at very busy intersections, everywhere else is stop signs.

So you just have an open intersection with four stop signs? Fuck that man, I know how many people there are that think they're too good to indicate, that shit sounds dangerous as hell.
devourke
Banned
843 IQ
Quote by bradulator
Seems confusing.

Good thing I live in America, land of the free and home of the non-confusing.

Like the other dude said, if someone's coming at you, you just stay put. Anything else and it's go time.
Quote by captainsnazz

Also, devourke I thought you were murican?

I talk shit about how awesome America is, but no I'm actually a New Zealander.
scorpion618^
477 IQ
They did improvements to the mall where I live, and put in a roundabout. It has two lanes, though. Which apparently is confusing for everyone, as I've yet to see someone use it correctly.
JackWhiteIsButts
Hard Boyled
278 IQ
Quote by devourke
So you just have an open intersection with four stop signs? Fuck that man, I know how many people there are that think they're too good to indicate, that shit sounds dangerous as hell.

Most medium-large intersections have traffic lights, usually only small roads and residential areas have four-way stop signs.

Quote by captainsnazz

Arc de Triomphe in Paris
That is absolutely nuts.
ali.guitarkid7
Gets Easier
2,302 IQ
Quote by devourke

Lots of roundabouts have traffic lights too.
Quote by Aeolian Harmony
Ali priori / Ali posteriori
Quote by GuitarGod_92
Jesus christ Ali is a nutcase

I actually feel sorry for him, like seriously, get help
Flying Couch
∀ Gundam?!
1,041 IQ
There's a few around here. For larger roads with heavy traffic, they're absolutely insane and complete deathtraps. With lighter traffic they're alright.

But for smaller roads, especially ones with heavy traffic, they're a fucking godsend. Like, they need to be at all smaller road intersections. Four-way stop signs are horrible and roundabouts render them obsolete.
slipknot5678
UG Monkey
670 IQ
Quote by devourke

Roundabouts make sense to me (although I've never had to deal with anything like the Arc de Triomphe) but four way intersections are only dangerous because of speeding people. Other than they make as much sense.
palm mute
Reserved User
280 IQ
I've seen some, just not very common around here. A town in my general area put one in ~5 years ago and I've had to drive through it recently. No one seemed to actually understand what to do and I got flipped off for doing it correctly.

Then again there is a 3 way stop at a semi-busy intersection in my town and I usually get flipped off when I'm coming from the side that doesn't have a stop sign.

Here's a diagram because I am bored.

Stop

Stop
Stop

No Stop
In my heart I'm with you

every night
Last edited by palm mute at Jan 3, 2013,
Todd Hart
Do Sadists go to Hell?
153 IQ
Quote by Nelsean
They're death traps and very uncommon.

How are they death traps? You can't enter a roundabout with any force unless you're utterly incompetent, so jack-knifing someone with the kind of force at a crossroads is impossible, and everyone travels around the center at the same speed and in the same direction, so accidents have very little force behind them.

Edit: Jesus, do you have really bad driving schools in America or something? Roundabouts are the easiest thing, siriusly guyz.
...Stapling helium to penguins since 1949.
Last edited by Todd Hart at Jan 3, 2013,
ChrisBW
171 IQ
There's a couple extremely busy freeway exits like 40 miles from where I live and the on ramps go straight into round abouts. Driving through that is the scariest thing I've ever done.

I have a huge fear if rays.
Last edited by ChrisBW at Jan 3, 2013,
devourke
Banned
843 IQ
BETTER QUESTION?:

did you have these
?

[IMAEG]http://images.canadianlisted.com/nlarge/toy-car-mat_4886881.jpg
Everyone had one of these. Even the poor kids.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
Lots of roundabouts have traffic lights too.

In America? Because I've only ever seen one roundabout with traffic lights in NZ, and it's less of a roundabout and more of a giant circle road.
Last edited by devourke at Jan 3, 2013,