Page 2 of 3
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
Lots of roundabouts have traffic lights too.

Probably about 10% of all roundabouts. And it's usually the huge ones, or ones with a stupid number of exits, and more often than not the ones that lead from a single carriageway to a main trunk road.
Quote by thePTOD
I love you.
We've got a bunch of roundabouts in a neighboring city and they're ****in awesome.

We have an entire highway that uses them. What used to take 15 minutes to drive through now takes 5.

This is why I don't like arguing on the internet.
Quote by damian_91
If only you could back that statement up.
Quote by Zombee
Wolfgang's Philadelphia Study. Look it up yourself.
Quote by damian_91
No need to, absurd generalizations aren't my thing.
Last edited by Zombee at Jan 3, 2013,
Quote by KiLLSWiTCH-KnoT
BETTER QUESTION?:

did you have these
?

+1
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
Quote by Zombee
We've got a bunch of roundabouts in a neighboring city and they're ****in awesome.

We have an entire highway that uses them. What used to take 15 minutes to drive through now takes 5.

I like jughandles.

Also, American road layouts tend to be very grid-like in their design.
That's probably where we got the term 'block' from.

But in England, it's very loosely laid out, more like a spider-web.
I think the round-abouts were a necessity because the web-like layout meant that sometimes 5 roads would meet at a junction, and it would be very difficult to go between these roads in a grid-like layout, like in America.
Just my hypothesis.
Breakfast, Breakfast, it's great for us
We eat, we eat, we eat
That frozen meat
Oh boy, oh boy, oh boy, it can't be beat
Quote by Crazyedd123
Also, American road layouts tend to be very grid-like in their design.
That's probably where we got the term 'block' from.

But in England, it's very loosely laid out, more like a spider-web.
I think the round-abouts were a necessity because the web-like layout meant that sometimes 5 roads would meet at a junction, and it would be very difficult to go between these roads in a grid-like layout, like in America.
Just my hypothesis.

Sociopedal vs. sociofugal spacial arrangements. Some cities are designed around major landmarks/economic or political hubs and in that way avoid a grid and tend to separate groups of people by keeping some further away from the "centers" (sociofugal). Other cities are built on a more consistent grid that tends to make connecting people across all parts of the city easier (sociopedal).

It's the same concept behind sitting at a round table vs. a rectangular one at a meeting. At a rectangular one, there is one person who is the focus and commands the meeting, so the further you are from that person, the less power you have (sociofugal). A circular table has no focal point and the control/involvement over discussion is evenly distributed (sociopedal).
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
There are 4 here. They help traffic but no one in America knows how to use them. Therefore I nearly die a lot.
There are a bunch where my friends live in Indiana and only one I know of where I live. I like them seeing as I understand the purpose of a yield sign and that they give me the option to not stop, which I think is great
Quote by smb
Freakish mammals bring the end times. It's not even 2012 yet and we're all on the path to extinction. Send cash now to God-TV!
Lol murcans r dumb

Roundabouts are easy, and make traffic flow so much more than traffic lights. Fucking hate how every junction here is controlled by lights, I spend a lifetime idling.
No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
There's a quaint little roundabout out in the countryside on the way to my cousin's house and it's never a problem because it's never busy. I've never had any problems with 4-way stops by the way.
Quote by element4433
Be subtle with it. Don't like molest him.

And cup his balls.

Quote by blake1221
If there's anything to take away from this thread, anything at all, it's to always cup the balls.
In my city\town we got a roundabout. There are a lot of crashes, like a ridiculous amount haha
(>•&bull> $$$$$ <(••<

Gear:
Jackson RR3
Jackson DK2
1991 Jackson Fusion Pro
Peavey Triple X Super 40
Very common in Maryland. I hate them. Pieces of shit.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
I just drove around one in Nashville, but I think that there is only like one in the QC, where I live.
"Pain or damage don't end the world nor despair, nor fuckin' beatings. The world ends when you're dead, until then you have more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, and give some back."
I haven't seen one yet.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
There shall be a stop to this madness. The battle is not over. My tasty licks aren't going anywhere.

Quote by The_Blode
^ I've just realised if you say Simple Plan's 2011 effort "Get Your Heart On!" really fast in a Southern American accent, it sounds gross. . .like sexual gross!

Quote by Necroheadbanger
Hello.
I'm looking for professional bongo-ists and triangle-ists to make a Progressive Technical Brutal Death Metal band
(will be called AxOxJxLxAxIxVxXxUxWxZxQxUxRxWxGxJxSxAxLxKxMxNxHxUxGxAxAxWxVxCxBxZxVx)
(Don't even ask what it means)

https://soundcloud.com/95dank

I only know of one roundabout with traffic lights but it's still a prime accident site due to shitty drivers. In fact, any stretch of paved road here is a prime accident site.
cat
Roundabouts are terrible things, and the few I've encountered are a few too many.
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
There are a small number of roundabouts to be found here. I experienced one, um, once (at the entrance of Austin Straubel Airport).
There are two in the city I live in. I have no problem with them but the Oriental people who come into town for college have a hard time with them. They do keep the flow of traffic up better than a four way stop. Though im that guy who treats a four way stop like "oh everyone else is gonna stop im gonna pretend that stop sign is a yeild and go right through".
My town just built one where they expanded this highway in my town. ****ing stupid. It's a 3-way intersection for f*cks sake. I could see if it was 5+, possibly 4, even though lights work just fine for 4, but 3? WHY?
Quote by MetalGS3SE
This is the best idea I have ever heard. Ever.

Naedauuf for president people.

Quote by devourke
I just realised a few minutes ago that although I've seen a lot of American TV shows and movies which involve people driving in cars and whatnot, I've not once seen a roundabout. I knew most states don't have learner plates and I thought that was weird as shit (maybe a little dangerous), but I can't believe I never noticed the lack of roundabouts in American media. Do you guys actually have no roundabouts?

For reference these are roundabouts:

We know what roundabouts are, you jerk!

There are several around my area. I hate 'em. They're just... useless. The areas that have them aren't high-traffic, and would benefit from a simple 4-way stop...
This ends now, eat the goddamn beans!
There's two roundabouts that I use every now and then.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Quote by Bushinarin
There are virtually none in Pennsylvania, but they're all over the place in New Jersey. I think they're kind of inconvenient.

Yea

New Jersey is retarded though so it makes sense
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Small roundabouts with just one or two lanes are nice and convenient. These seem like hell, though:
Quote by captainsnazz
American roads are all grid like, it's really weird to look at on google maps for someone from England.
I thought our roundabouts were bad, but in France they're even more retarded. Most ridiculous example:
Arc de Triomphe in Paris

Holy shit it is so dangerous. There aren't any lanes or anything, and the French drive like they don't want to live anyway.

Also, devourke I thought you were murican?
Quote by bradulator
wtf is that gay shit

eurofag shit, son

really though, roundabouts are scary as shit
~don't finkdinkle when ur supposed to be dimpdickin~
Quote by StewieSwan
We have them, but they're very uncommon.

They are all over in my area..I think we have maybe 40+
Quote by Pan-Tallica
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
But theres no reason why i cant be free like a raspberry stuck to the back of a horny elephants ass.

This is maybe the worst comparison in the history of comparisons.
I could take them or leave them. I feel they have their advantages at times, but a lot of times they're just ill-placed.
I can honestly say I have really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like.

I don't always post on UG, but when I do, I post in the Pit. Stay thirsty my friends.