Page 2 of 3
Quote by JustRooster
This community is just a very small fraction of the Bassists out there in the world. The vast majority of everyone in my area still plays Fender.

Yeah pretty much. Outside of a few metal guys playing Schecters, a random spector or two and some custom builds almost everyone plays a fender or a knock off of it. They have classic styles which will probably never go away.
I like this thread, let's keep it nice and easy! I'll post my opnion tomorrow, now i can't!
Quote by FatalGear41
When you break a bass string, that snapping sound is the sound of six dollars going down the crapper.

Sterling Ray 35
Hartke Ha3500 head - Gallien Krueger 212MBE cab
Tech 21 VT Bass
Zoom b2
Thanks Spaz91.

Thanks for helping me see what is going on.

You proved that it was not just me.

I am going back to the Front alone, all by my myself, and looking at David King, Status, and Ken Smith Bolt-on Pin-ups while I wear out my BTB's.

Yes, the hardware in the 400 series have something left to be desired, but I will deal with that as I can. Will cost more than the Basses, but they are mine.
Ibanez BTB 1006 Fretless and 405 (no Barts)
456 & 455(w/Barts)
Genz Benz NeoX400 112T & NeoX 112T cab.
Digitech BP-8 (x2)
Yamaha PB-1
Boss: SYB-5, PS-2, OD-20, EQ-20, PH-3,BF-3, CE-20, DD-20
Morely A/B
I'm not a fan of the Fender price tag, but there are just some tones that just can't be nailed without a Fender. Fender has it's niche in the market, and were it a recent upstart it would have died in a hole by now, but unless you know another instrument that sounds exactly like an MiA Fender P Bass then it has it's place.
Quote by JustRooster
This community is just a very small fraction of the Bassists out there in the world. The vast majority of everyone in my area still plays Fender.

I sometimes get a feeling that everyone has a Fender simply because everyone has a Fender, especially in the bass guitar world.

Like was discussed before, some of us have felt pressure to use Fenders out of familiarity.
Quote by Spaz91
I sometimes get a feeling that everyone has a Fender simply because everyone has a Fender, especially in the bass guitar world.

Like was discussed before, some of us have felt pressure to use Fenders out of
familiarity.

Fender being in the business to make money naturally so the earning potential of budget priced instruments, many shops stock lower end Fenders but very few the top end of the market so it is very difficult to asses the quality/value for money compared to many other up market brands.
I have yet to come across a UK store that stocks G&L L2500s, I acquired mine by accident.
Stingray 5s are equally rarely on display.
Having played and liked a Line 6 4 string bass I was interested in the 5 string version but no store would get one in for me to try.
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
I am lucky that I do have a shop that sells the gamut on Fender and interestingly enough, Spector. Another shop in town is the Gibson authorized reseller. However, if you go over the hill to SJ, Guitar Center seems to have an odd mash up of Musicmen, lower end Ibbys and Fenders in stock. Since most first time buyers end up a place like GC, I imagine that Fender and Ibanez may have a bit of a foot in the door with beginning players.

I do agree that most shops carry the lower end Fenders and such. I'd have to go a bit out of the way to get someplace to try out say a Warwick. But as I've said previously, I think the options for intermediate to advanced players who are knowledgeable are better now. I also think with the evolution of music from the 60s - 90s, the music itself has pushed bass innovations and desire to move beyond the traditional Fender bass sound.

Fender still has a name, but like Ben said, its because they started it all. Still relevant, yes. Still has a place in music yes. Top of the heap? Up for debate.
Hi Tams Happy New Year to you and yours from Me & Val.

We've just had a quite large music store open in Sheffield (whilst others have closed down).
The bass department is still quite low profile with few decent basses

BTW You want to look up Little Richard on You Tube 'Long Tall Sally' circa 1956, you'll see his Bassist using a Gibson Violin Bass that McCartney's Hofner was modelled on.
G&L L2500
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
300 watt 15" powered cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
Last edited by John Swift at Jan 7, 2013,
They're all tools.
Yes, some boarder on works of art, but unless you're hanging it on the wall for display, it's still a tool. If it feels right, sounds right, then it's relevant.
As much as I enjoy Fender basses, it would be nice to see some new options such as ebony, 24 frets and EQs on the intermediate levels. I know not everyone likes ESP ltd basses and I've said this a lot but it's hard for me to want buy an expensive Fender when my ltd has a lot more to offer, in my opinion, for the same price of a MIM.
Quote by Spaz91

Like was discussed before, some of us have felt pressure to use Fenders out of familiarity.

I own my Fender P bass (which I now have to sell) cuz nothing else quite gets that P bass growl and tone, least not what I paid for it. The only others I've heard that match the growl and tone cost as much as a mid level used car. Sure others come close, in the case of Squier, damn close, but still not perfect.
Quote by Black Ox
As much as I enjoy Fender basses, it would be nice to see some new options such as ebony, 24 frets and EQs on the intermediate levels. I know not everyone likes ESP ltd basses and I've said this a lot but it's hard for me to want buy an expensive Fender when my ltd has a lot more to offer, in my opinion, for the same price of a MIM.

Fender did offer a 24 fret jazz bass (jazz bass 24) with active EQ. They discontinued it due to poor sales.
Quote by FatalGear41
In the end, the only question is: what bass would Jesus play?

I think he's a Fender Jazz guy.
Just a fun fact about Fender in Japan.

Fender P-basses make up 50% of the total bass sales. While the J-bass is slightly lower 45% with Mustang and Jaguar making a meager 5%.

Why?

Fender just markets them at the right price and doesn't throw lawsuits around like Gibson or EBMM.

Fender is switching to a 60/40 split in the country of manufacture of the Artist and Standard models.

Ensenada is getting the bulk of work in the manufacture of the artist signature that are Jazz based. While the Precision based models are being manufactured in Japan and the US.
Damn it! Disable can't use disable to disable Disable's disable because disable's disable has already been disabled by Disable's disable!
Quote by Alucard817
Fender did offer a 24 fret jazz bass (jazz bass 24) with active EQ. They discontinued it due to poor sales.

This was a real shame, it was arguably the best bass they ever made. I think the problem was it was either jet black or some sort of boutiquey flamed maple. If someone is looking at a classic Fender shape then I doubt they want either of those things, the Select series will be next.

Speaking of ebony, why do Fender fretlesses come with an unfinished rosewood board? I think I'd rather have the ebanol board of a Squier! I think that goes from personal preference and is certainly a design flaw.
Last edited by Spaz91 at Jan 7, 2013,
Quote by Spaz91
This was a real shame, it was arguably the best bass they ever made. I think the problem was it was either jet black or some sort of boutiquey flamed maple. If someone is looking at a classic Fender shape then I doubt they want either of those things, the American Deluxe series will be next.

Speaking of ebony, why do Fender fretlesses come with an unfinished rosewood board? I think I'd rather have the ebanol board of a Squier! I think that goes from personal preference and is certainly a design flaw.

Three things.

1.They don't want their standard line instruments getting "exotic" woods.
2.Avoiding federal criminal investigations and seizure.
3.Tradition
Damn it! Disable can't use disable to disable Disable's disable because disable's disable has already been disabled by Disable's disable!
Quote by Spaz91
This was a real shame, it was arguably the best bass they ever made. I think the problem was it was either jet black or some sort of boutiquey flamed maple. If someone is looking at a classic Fender shape then I doubt they want either of those things, the Select series will be next.

IIRC they were only figured maple tops in either tobacco burst or cherry burst finish. Great basses, even if some people had issues with the preamps. I believe they weren't selling particularly well and something about Fender deciding not to continue with Korean manufacturing. Fun fact, there was an MIA version, the FMT Jazz with a blocked neck.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
Quote by Spaz91

The Jazz 24 came in tobacco and cherry. There was also some issues with pickup hum when you soloed on one pickup or the other. Everyone I knew who had one ended up replacing the pups.
Quote by Spaz91

A Fender representative addressed the use of rosewood fretboards on their fretless basses: "Just like Jaco!" It also alleviates the problems associated with ebony fretboards - namely, the wood costs on average 12 times what rosewood costs, and even without fretting it, it is a bitch to work.

I wish Fender would offer ebony fretboards as an option on all of their standard bass designs, but that just ain't going to happen.

Also, my Jazz 24 CSB is stock. I've never had a problem with the pickups, but I almost always run them both wide open.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Last edited by FatalGear41 at Jan 7, 2013,
Quote by Tostitos
IIRC they were only figured maple tops in either tobacco burst or cherry burst finish. Great basses, even if some people had issues with the preamps. I believe they weren't selling particularly well and something about Fender deciding not to continue with Korean manufacturing. Fun fact, there was an MIA version, the FMT Jazz with a blocked neck.

They lost a lot of good stuff with that factory, I always wanted a Big Block Precision.
Quote by anarkee
The Jazz 24 came in tobacco and cherry. There was also some issues with pickup hum when you soloed on one pickup or the other. Everyone I knew who had one ended up replacing the pups.

This is the one I played:

But I suppose neither of those two finished were exactly out of the box either.
I've never played a Fender lower than MIA Deluxe that had a decent preamp, sadly. Even whatever it is they put in the Miller jazz instead of an Aguilar is shit.
Quote by FatalGear41
A Fender representative addressed the use of rosewood fretboards on their fretless basses: "Just like Jaco!" It also alleviates the problems associated with ebony fretboards - namely, the wood costs on average 12 times what rosewood costs, and even without fretting it, it is a bitch to work.

I wish Fender would offer ebony fretboards as an option on all of their standard bass designs, but that just ain't going to happen.

I knew it'd be something like that. Did they also know that Jaco lacquered the fingerboard and still refused to use it aside from recording and gigs? Honestly the ebanol board does a much better job.

To be fair, they shouldn't be using rosewood or ebony, they're both endangered. They should move onto Pau Ferro, especially for fretlesses.
Quote by OtamotPuhctek
They're all tools.
Yes, some boarder on works of art, but unless you're hanging it on the wall for display, it's still a tool. If it feels right, sounds right, then it's relevant.

I have a workshop where I build cabs, rack units etc.

I tend to buy cheap use and abuse battery drills etc for general woodworking because the expensive power tools I own are not cost effective.
The same applies to my Basses.
I use the Squier Affinity 5 most of the time in my band that plays everything from Eagles soft rock to their Rocky Mountain Way and Fleetwood Macs Loved Another Woman, Dreams and the much heavier Go Your Own Way.

The Squier Affinity 5 at £210 GBP cuts it on all of them to the point where my G&L L2500 stays in its gig bag most of the time (forgot to mention I did fit a spare J-retro kit on the Affinity).

I use my home build 1x15 which cost me less than £100GBP to put together and I'm usually asked to turn it down.
G&L L2500
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
300 watt 15" powered cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
Last edited by John Swift at Jan 8, 2013,
Quote by Spaz91
To be fair, they shouldn't be using rosewood or ebony, they're both endangered. They should move onto Pau Ferro, especially for fretlesses.

Actually only Brazilian rosewood is endangered. Theres quite a few different species, some that aren't even true rosewoods.

To Fenders credit, and quite a few other companies. More and more of them are using farmed trees rather than cutting down 100 year old forests.
Quote by FatalGear41

Yeah I was just reading up on Indian rosewood. Was it Gibson who got intro trouble about the Brazilian rosewood or was it something else?

I still think Pao Ferro should be the standard for fretless Fenders, it looks similar enough to rosewood but its a lot harder.

Edit: The Jaco sig uses pau ferro while the "Just like Jaco!" standards use rosewood.
Last edited by Spaz91 at Jan 8, 2013,
Quote by Spaz91
I still think Pao Ferro should be the standard for fretless Fenders, it looks similar enough to rosewood but its a lot harder.

Interestingly enough Fender does use pau ferro, but not on fretless. The MIM Deluxe Active Jazz 5's have Pau Ferro fretboards.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
My Fender Standard Jazz V, the one with the in line tuners and shite pickups was Pau Ferro.

It looks just a shade lighter than rosewood, maybe that's why they don't use it more often?

The jazz felt nice to play and looked great but I just couldn't get any sound I wanted out of it.
I actually like how it looks more than rosewood in most cases.

There are other good alternatives too like chechen and granadillo. I think chechen would make a pretty fretless board.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
Quote by Tostitos
There are other good alternatives too like chechen and granadillo. I think chechen would make a pretty fretless board.

Chechen looks pretty cool, quite red; granadillo looks indistinguishable from rosewood, you might be onto something.

The least Fender could do is supply their rosewood fretlesses with flatwound strings.
Quote by Spaz91

It looks just a shade lighter than rosewood, maybe that's why they don't use it more often?

Pau ferro causes allergic reaction in eyes and skin. It's also a sensitizer meaning the more you use it the more you react to it.

I hate working with the stuff since I break out in hives and rashes on hands and neck.
Quote by dark Mass
Pau ferro causes allergic reaction in eyes and skin. It's also a sensitizer meaning the more you use it the more you react to it.

I hate working with the stuff since I break out in hives and rashes on hands and neck.

Damn, that sucks. What do you think of Tostitos' suggestions?
Quote by Spaz91
Damn, that sucks. What do you think of Tostitos' suggestions?

Out of the two Granadillo since it's a much nicer wood to work with and doesn't have the issues of Chechen.

Chechen ages better and but it does like to split when it gets below 15% humidity.
Quote by dark Mass

Try carving a set of gun grips out of Sneezewood. There's a reason they call it that. If you don't wear a respirator during sanding (and like an idiot, I didn't), it will absolutely wreck you. The sawdust from it also irritates the hell out of your skin. Not to mention the fact that it is as hard as a rock, so your expensive carving blades go dull in about five minutes.

Never again!
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Quote by FatalGear41
Try carving a set of gun grips out of Sneezewood. There's a reason they call it that. If you don't wear a respirator during sanding (and like an idiot, I didn't), it will absolutely wreck you. The sawdust from it also irritates the hell out of your skin. Not to mention the fact that it is as hard as a rock, so your expensive carving blades go dull in about five minutes.

Never again!

I have work with it before it's plain nasty to work with.

Also try working cocobolo it can cause upper respiratory and eye infections even with respirator and goggles on. It also hates glues and likes to spread it's orangish-brown color to lighter colored woods. This is the reason I hate the Dalbergia genus of woods.

Anyways maple gives you rashes and ash decreases lung capacity.
Quote by Spaz91
What about Wenge?

Wenge looks nice but I wouldn't want to work with it everyday.

It sands unevenly, splinters like nothing, and has a nasty trait of making wounds go septic.

It also blunts cutting tools and has a faint bitter scent when sanding.
Quote by Spaz91
That would explain the strange pattern Warwick use on their fingerboards. They use massive CNC routers for everything anyway.

It would explain why they use bell brass instead of the standard nickel silver or stainless steel frets.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Hickory has always seemed an interesting and possibly useful wood for guitar building.

What are its properties?

Quote by dark Mass
It would explain why they use bell brass instead of the standard nickel silver or stainless steel frets.

How come?

I'd like to see more basswood basses, the stigma needs to go. Personally I like the idea of a guitar or bass that sounds like my playing and the pickups I choose rather than a piece of wood.
Quote by Spaz91
Yeah I was just reading up on Indian rosewood. Was it Gibson who got intro trouble about the Brazilian rosewood or was it something else?

It was Gibson for Indian rosewood. The wood isn't endangered, actually it had nothing to do with environmental concerns at all. It was all about bureaucratic bullshit. Gibson had something like 500 grand of materials seized, and as far as I know they have never been charged with anything, nor have they gotten any of it back.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Spaz91
What are its properties?

How come?

I'd like to see more basswood basses, the stigma needs to go. Personally I like the idea of a guitar or bass that sounds like my playing and the pickups I choose rather than a piece of wood.

It scores 1820 on the Janka scale, so it's harder than the rosewoods. It can splinter whilst being worked and wears down tools, but will take finishes quite well. They make baseball bats from hickory, so should work well as a neck wood, but also be hard enough to work as an unfinished fingerboard wood.