dementiacaptain
Chiefin' Son
2,227 IQ
So a lot of you know that I got a Mark III recently, which is pretty dope. I was perusing craigslist as I do daily, and saw a Dual Rectifier (two channel, FJA modded for added tightness) for $800. I had just got some sholarship money, and all my school shit was covered, so I figured "what the hell?"

I won't bore you any longer, pictures:

Untitled by bllyfen8, on Flickr

I actually picked up the head about three weeks ago, but I figured I would wait until I got a new cab (shown, rectifier 112) to do a NAD seeing as the speakers in my Marshall are currently M70s, which suck a fatty.

This thing sounds as a rectifier should, huge as hell. I love the huge tone I get out of this bad boy, and it definitely does not suffer from the famous sag that plagues these amps, the bass is not overpowering at all. Whether FJA is responsible for this, I don't know, but in any case I would say it is easily as tight as my 6505+. Really there isn't a whole lot I can say about this amp that isn't already known, but I definitely prefer the vintage drive mode, less fizzy and has a lot more body. The clean channel isn't really clean, but with a little help from my modded DS-1 it can do a nice country twang.

I really thing single coils bring out the best in this beast, it is just compressed enough to keep everything smooth, but the spank from the single coils still smacks you right in the face.

As far as the cab goes, it has a black shadow in it, and sounds pretty good. I will probably DaveMC this one and try a billion different speakers to find the perfect one, but for now I am happy with it, plenty of midrange, not too abrasive or boomy. I mainly got this to take to jams and record at my buddies' places, carrying a 412 can be a bitch, and I really didn't want to spend 212 money right now (looking at picking up my first rifle soon )

Well that is pretty much it, any questions I will be happy to answer, though this is pretty standard stuff so I imagine you guys know the drill. I will leave you with this:

I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
R45VT
Doesn't speak guitar
1,110 IQ
F*** yeah!

Can never get enough Mesa!

Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
dementiacaptain
Chiefin' Son
2,227 IQ
How did I know you would be the first to post

R45VT
Doesn't speak guitar
1,110 IQ
I can smell a Mesa from a mile away....
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
dementiacaptain
Chiefin' Son
2,227 IQ
Yeah, there has been an absurd amount of mesa NADs lately, I am sure you have had to keep a fap rag handy.

I sure have
dementiacaptain
Chiefin' Son
2,227 IQ
Agreed. I think my next one needs to be a Blooz Machine.
DavmanRFC
Valvestate guy
444 IQ
Nice on mate, HNAD
Forever shouting 'IM THE DEVIL I CAN DO WHAT I WANT' at inappropriate times.

Soccerguy
Bloo
665 IQ
Ah, I too recently have gotten the satisfaction of getting a Mesa. Feels great!
HNGD!
red.guitar
Imagine All The People
3,037 IQ
HNGD!!

Who doesn't love a bitta Mesa??

I've been eyeing one of these babies at a far for a while now. Just gotta wait for the right deal to pop up!

Congrats again man!!
Guitars:
PRS Custom 24
Gibson Les Paul 60's Tribute
85' MIJ Strat
97' Snakepit Les Paul
LP Traditional 1960 Zebra
02' Dean TC Z

Amps:
EVH 5150iii
Peavey Ultra 112
Jet City JCA50H
Peavey VTM 60
Peavey XXX
dementiacaptain
Chiefin' Son
2,227 IQ
Thanks guys
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech
2,565 IQ
HNAD
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
FatalGear41
War Mastiff!!!
1,381 IQ
It sounds like a real keeper! HNAD! Enjoy it, and drive your neighbors crazy!
"Drinking is a skill and should be recognized as such!"

Quote by gregs1020
FatalGear41 knows the ways of the obscure. I hear it's just not with Gibsons. Beware, Halloween approaches...

Quote by Spaz91
DAMNIT FATALGEAR YOU RUINED MUH FLOW!
trashedlostfdup
diet coke fiend.
13,435 IQ
HNAD! i love dual recs. the 2ch's are getting harder and harder to find at a good price.

OT: what stripe on the mkiii? i am lusting for one.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.
dementiacaptain
Chiefin' Son
2,227 IQ
Thanks again!

Fatalgear: I would if I had any

Trashed: red stripe, the one with the most aggressive drive if I'm remembering correctly.
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl
2,967 IQ
sweet
Quote by classicrocker01
Only on UG would I say I got engaged and bought a jet city and get congratulated on the amp

dementiacaptain
Chiefin' Son
2,227 IQ
Thanks fellas I just got done a little while ago with a little jam and I cannot say how much I like this setup. I could see if I started doing shows again upgrading to a 412 to fill up the tone a bit, but this is pretty awesome right now.
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech
2,565 IQ
Quote by dementiacaptain
Agreed. I think my next one needs to be a Blooz Machine.
What you need is a Whiskey Tin Marshall.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
dementiacaptain
Chiefin' Son
2,227 IQ

I actually do want a JTM45 clone, how much did yours end up costing you everything said and done?
gregs1020
Hi mom!
10,786 IQ
Quote by dementiacaptain

what's the story on the purple ibby with no strings peeking around the corner?
Quote by Roc8995
I don't think I've ever played anything in black walnut. It's a great ice cream flavor, so I assume it works well for a strat too.

Quote by JustRooster
The slugs in the pickups for telecasters are from old winchester rifles, which is why they sound so country.
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech
2,565 IQ
Quote by dementiacaptain

I actually do want a JTM45 clone, how much did yours end up costing you everything said and done?
I don't actually know. Maybe about $700? I still haven't finished building the cabinet. I got it working properly and got lazy.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
dementiacaptain
Chiefin' Son
2,227 IQ
Quote by gregs1020
what's the story on the purple ibby with no strings peeking around the corner?

It's actually not purple, that was just the flash so you could actually see the inside of the amp. It is just an old DT200 or whatever the smaller scale destroyer was. Some guy had thrown an EMG set in there and offered it as a trade for a Randall I had picked up for shits and giggles. I needed a set of pickups at the time so I went ahead with it. In hindsight I wish I had kept the Randall

I'll get around to putting it back together eventually and selling it, it just seems like such a chore
dementiacaptain
Chiefin' Son
2,227 IQ
Quote by Cathbard
I don't actually know. Maybe about $700? I still haven't finished building the cabinet. I got it working properly and got lazy.

See, if I was going to have you build me an amp, it would be a one of those. The Jack Daniel's tin amps are cool, but I want something that I could take out and toss about. Wouldn't want to do that with amp art
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech
2,565 IQ
I didn't do a costing on the JTM45 because I had no intention of ever selling it. I acquired all the parts I needed over a fairly long period of time and just shoved them in a drawer until I had everything I needed. As a result I don't know how much it cost.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
dementiacaptain
Chiefin' Son
2,227 IQ
Oh I understand man, this was all hypothetical, I couldn't afford for a while anyway, I was just saying that I would rather have a full JTM45 over a 18 watter. I kept up with your building process, I know it was a lengthy endeavor

Curiously, would you do another one for the right price? I know that that's not really your "thing," but I would trust you with that sort of build over anyone else.
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech
2,565 IQ
Yeah I could but I don't have the money to buy the parts atm. I am concentrating on acquiring bits for the 18W combo I have on the drawing board atm. I have most of the bits apart from the chassis and timber. That would be cost prohibitive to send to the US though because I intend to use fairly heavy wood.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
dementiacaptain
Chiefin' Son
2,227 IQ
Oh sure, I would pay you up front for it anyway. I figured shipping would be a bitch, but I figure it would be worth it as you really put your heart into these things. All this is just shooting the shit anyways, but I will admit a Cathbard amp is high on my gas list.
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech
2,565 IQ
At some stage I'll do a proper costing on one for you. I'd assume that you'd want a normal sort of cabinet, no? Perhaps you could sort that side of things out yourself? That would cut shipping costs by quite a lot. The cabinet I'm making for mine is a little abnormal and is quite frankly a pita (and weighs a friggin ton).
If I were you I'd wait until I get my etching all setup and I get good at it. That way you'll get a nicely etched brass panel instead of a boring old plexi panel. I expect great things from etching because graphics is one of my things. You'll see what I'm up to in that regard in WTLT and PBT.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Jan 6, 2013,
MatrixClaw
UG God
10,723 IQ
Bitchin, I guess I've never seen a Mesa 1x12, cause I would've never guessed it'd fit perfectly under that head
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
dementiacaptain
Chiefin' Son
2,227 IQ
Cath: Thanks man, and yeah I could dig up my own headshell here, or make one. When I am looking at being able to pay for one I can talk more seriously with you.

Derek: Yeah I was pretty happy to find a rectifier 112, I don't think a regular mesa 112 would fit under it.