Lancaster_783
21 IQ
Hello!

I'm a self taught guitarist and I'm mastering each step at a time but I'm stuck on one thing. It's with a certain type of power chord that I'm having a lot of trouble with like the one below.

E ------------------------------------------------------------------|
B ------------------------------------------------------------------|
G --19-19-19-19-19-19-19--14-14-14-14-14-14-14-----|
D --x---x---x---x---x---x--x----x---x---x---x--x---x---x------|
A --17-17-17-17-17-17-17--12-12-12-12-12-12-12-----|
D ------------------------------------------------------------------|

I'm having problems on how to play those chords with I'm wondering if anyone can help me with either explaining it, a video, picture, anything!

Many Thanks
Last edited by Lancaster_783 at Jan 5, 2013,
StrykVladzimsky
ESP through Potato
2,585 IQ
Those are octaves, I play them with my 1st finger on the root note and leave it over the rest so it deadens them and play the higher with my third finger. You can also touch the low E string with the tip of your first finger to deaden all but those two notes so you can strum 'em as hard as you want!
Quote by luxeion
i keep asking my dad for wood. but he keeps getting annoyed (he's working on a house). and i'm too young to go outside.

Andalus
Bànned
617 IQ
What exactly are you having problems with regarding these power chords?

The trick is to fret the 17 on the A with your index and mute the rest of them in a barre shape, like you would with a normal power chord.
Lancaster_783
21 IQ
Quote by Andalus
What exactly are you having problems with regarding these power chords?

Muting all the strings
Andalus
Bànned
617 IQ
Quote by Lancaster_783
Muting all the strings

Strings below the index finger - use your index finger to lay across them.
Strings above the index finger - either use the tip of your index finger, a free finger on the fretting hand or your picking hand to mute them.
steven seagull
not really a seagull
1,064 IQ
Quote by Lancaster_783
Muting all the strings

You don't really need to mute all the strings, only the one in between the two fretted ones - you shouldn't be hitting the other strings
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
StrykVladzimsky
ESP through Potato
2,585 IQ
So it's bad to mute everything except the two, by say using the method I described?
Quote by luxeion
i keep asking my dad for wood. but he keeps getting annoyed (he's working on a house). and i'm too young to go outside.

steven seagull
not really a seagull
1,064 IQ
There's nothing wrong with muting them but it's not essential, although to be honest if you're fretting those kind of octaves in the most comfortable way you pretty much end up muting the other strings by default.

Muting isn't a replacement for good technique though, it'll stop sympathetic vibrations ad the odd stray touch but you still shouldn't be hitting the other strings when playing octaves, or powerchords for that matter.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com