Do you feel less inclined to check out someone's music if it's just one person making music in their bedroom, compared to a touring band of professional musicians?

Or, on the contrary, do you listen to a lot of music made by amateur musicians, or even prefer it to professionals?
When I say "amateur" I mean that music is not their primary source of income, as opposed to a "professional".

I don't really expect anything good from amateur musicians. A band needs to achieve some standard of quality in order to be able to make a living from playing music. An amateur can do whatever, with no standards of quality. Maybe I'm just [insert descriminatory term here].

What about you, Pit?
You mean like midgets, no.
Quote by EpiExplorer
I swear this guy in particular writes for the telegraph or some shit.

Quote by Fat Lard
My name can actually be traced back to as early as the 1990s, it means "fuck off data miner"
I feel less inclined if I haven't heard anything about it but if I've heard good things I don't care. I actually prefer amateur if anything because I feel like I'm helping them out and it makes me feel all unique and indie.
Quote by Sliide90027
But as a bigoted lemming, you have so cry an Alinslyite slur revealing you lack of reason and sense.

Quote by MusicLord16
BOB 1. ur 20 and two u like evil things and idk if u worship the devil
Pretty much, yeah. I hardly listen to anything that's even close to underground.
Not a fan of bedroom heroes that make everything, I prefer a band, but there are some really good dudes out there that can do a lot with a little.

As far as "professional" musicians, no. I'll go with the unsigned/smaller label band any day.
Quote by blake1221

As far as "professional" musicians, no. I'll go with the unsigned/smaller label band any day.

Even if they're unsigned, they're still professionals if they make a living from making music.
Quote by sashki
But how will you know before hearing it? You'll have to discover it for yourself somehow.

...isn't that how everyone finds out about music? Either through the internet, through gigs or word of mouth.

I won't know whether I'll like something or not if I haven't heard it.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
...isn't that how everyone finds out about music? Either through the internet, through gigs or word of mouth.

I won't know whether I'll like something or not if I haven't heard it.

Well, that's kind of the entire point of this thread.
Do you feel any more or less inclined to check out an amateur musician than you do a professional one? Do you click links to people's Soundcloud pages in their signatures, or skip right over them? Do you have lower expectations for a guy in his bedroom than from a band that's on tour?
Quote by sashki
Even if they're unsigned, they're still professionals if they make a living from making music.

Most of the bands I listen to have other jobs outside of being in a band.
Quote by gabcd86
Pretty much, yeah. I hardly listen to anything that's even close to underground.

Yea, I don't think anything I listen to really counts as underground at all
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Snowing's pretty low key. I mean, they blew up on the emo scene, but they weren't huge or anything like that.
I'm more inclined to buy an album of a band if they're smaller than just listening to them on spotify. Most of the bands I listen to have made it big already. I do try being open minded, though I discover a lot of music by word of mouth, so I'm more likely to hear about them if they already have a decent number of fans.
Quote by sashki
Well, that's kind of the entire point of this thread.
Do you feel any more or less inclined to check out an amateur musician than you do a professional one? Do you click links to people's Soundcloud pages in their signatures, or skip right over them? Do you have lower expectations for a guy in his bedroom than from a band that's on tour?

Nope, not really. Music is music.

No, I don't click any SC links in the pit, because I'm not into metal and other similar stuff (unless I know the genre, I won't click). I listen to a lot of stuff on SC, though. There are some people there whose music I absolutely love more than "professional" musicians.

No, I don't. You can make a professional quality album from your bedroom if you have a little to invest in equipment.
No.

If they write good quality, well mixed, well written songs, whether they're amateur or professional, I'll listen.

If they suck, then they suck. I won't listen.

Though generally, yes, amateur musicians really don't put a whole lot of effort into their stuff and often times are doing it just "for the fun of it" and have horrendous mixing skills. I'm no engineer, but seriously: it's not astronomically difficult to make things sound at least half decent, even on the weakest of equipment.

I've also come to find a lot of non-pro musicians tend to rip off well known songs when creating their own. Some non-pros have great songwriting skills but I've heard far too many who just blatantly steal from others.
Last edited by Ian_the_fox at Jan 5, 2013,
Quote by Ian_the_fox

I've also come to find a lot of non-pro musicians tend to rip off well known songs when creating their own. Some non-pros have great songwriting skills but I've heard far too many who just blatantly steal from others.

I call those homages
More people are capable of playing, recording and mixing music than ever before. Though they usually know jack shit about anything other than playing their instrument and so the presentatin is shoddy. "Bedroom artists" also have to stretch themselves a lot more than artists with label support, so it usually results in less quality overall.
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
I personally don't have much interest in checking out artists that have don't play their work in public.

Like me, for instance.
Quote by Joshua Garcia
my chemical romance are a bunch of homos making love to a mic and you like that cuz your a huge gay wad. You should feel pathetic for being such a gaywad you gay mcr loving gaywad olllol.
I'll listen to anybody.

My friend's older brother was in a band who played local bars, but they wrote and recorded great original songs.
Quote by neidnarb11890
the chinese take-out place my family always ordered from gave you chopsticks, so as a kid it was fun to try & eat with chopsticks
now i just use a fork, 'cuz nothing is fun anymore & i just want to shovel food into my mouth to fill the void
It never really comes into my mind when searching out new music.
In my heart I'm with you

every night
Depends on the music and the information given. I do like tracking the progress of "unheard" bands/artists if they are good.
No, if it's good music, it's good music. I don't care if some "huge band" made it, or if some band I've never heard of made it. Frankly, recently, most of the bands I've started listening to come from bandcamp. (The "Free on Bandcamp" thread is awesome.)
Some of my favourite music comes from amateur artists I've chanced upon at the pub.

You've gotta start somewhere. Unless you're jbeebz or 1D or TSwiftz, who are essentially just models,crafted by corporations and thrust into the limelight at the apex of the industry right from their inception, you have to start at the bottom.
Quote by Butt Rayge
Some of my favourite music comes from amateur artists I've chanced upon at the pub.

You've gotta start somewhere. Unless you're jbeebz or 1D or TSwiftz, who are essentially just models,crafted by corporations and thrust into the limelight at the apex of the industry right from their inception, you have to start at the bottom.

Hey, the Bieb started out posting videos on Canadian Youtube.
Quote by EpiExplorer

Quote by Fat Lard
My name can actually be traced back to as early as the 1990s, it means "fuck off data miner"
Quote by ErikLensherr
Hey, the Bieb started out posting videos on Canadian Youtube.

So the story goes...
Just because he started out on Youtube doesn't mean what Butt Rayge said isn't true. They take these people and just craft them to make the most money humanely possible.
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Quote by WCPhils
Just because he started out on Youtube doesn't mean what Butt Rayge said isn't true. They take these people and just craft them to make the most money humanely possible.

Um...if you say so...
While searching for videos of a different singer, Scooter Braun, a former marketing executive of So So Def, clicked on one of Bieber's 2007 videos by accident. Impressed, Braun tracked down the theater Bieber was performing in, located Bieber's school, and finally contacted Mallette, who was reluctant because of Braun's Jewish religion; she remembered praying, "God, I gave him to you. You could send me a Christian man, a Christian label!... you don’t want this Jewish kid to be Justin’s man, do you?"

uh, wow.
Quote by EpiExplorer

Quote by Fat Lard
I like the guy's on youtube that make music. Here's a pretty low profile dude.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FStgkWtrl9Q&list=FLDlLXcNlgnwFwtjpAhhrG-Q&index=29
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
There shall be a stop to this madness. The battle is not over. My tasty licks aren't going anywhere.

Quote by The_Blode
^ I've just realised if you say Simple Plan's 2011 effort "Get Your Heart On!" really fast in a Southern American accent, it sounds gross. . .like sexual gross!

Quote by Necroheadbanger
Hello.
I'm looking for professional bongo-ists and triangle-ists to make a Progressive Technical Brutal Death Metal band
(will be called AxOxJxLxAxIxVxXxUxWxZxQxUxRxWxGxJxSxAxLxKxMxNxHxUxGxAxAxWxVxCxBxZxVx)
(Don't even ask what it means)

https://soundcloud.com/95dank

Quote by crazysam23_Atax

Did you even read that? It pretty much say what I just said. This bloke thought he was hot and then immediately turned him into a superstar.

Justin Bieber did not start at the bottom. A 12 year old getting picked up my a major record label while he's still living with his parents is not an emotional tale of an underdog struggling for success.