2013-2013 NHL Season Thread! Teemu or whatevs. Bryzgalov. Rangers suck. JVR = Beaut.

Page 5 of 196
Quote by marc137
Maybe it's because of the disappointing playoffs performance by the sharks year after year

As a sens fan I know a few things about that

at least I have hope
cat
This is the year
Without a good harmonic knowledge, one cannot expect to become a great jazz soloist ~ Horace Silver

Quote by dietermoreno
Is it possible for 6 string guitar to tune lower than drop C and scales still work?
Quote by Unourrit01
looking for wild playoff clips but am having a tough time finding any

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXWQUUsSpzI

And yes, Granlund baby Jesus is going to play this year for the Wild. Supposedly as our second line center.
There's no death, no end of time when I'm facing it with you...
Quote by wizards?
They used to play a defense minded system like five years ago and nobody has noticed that they've since changed. Granlund is probably in the lineup unless someone beats him out which is unlikely.

It wasn't purely defensive minded, no, but it was still boring as hell.

They're also represented online with one of the most annoying fanbases in existence (you guys are ok in here tho, you listen to reason) lead by Whiner In Chief Bryan Reynolds, who in general refuse to acknowledge the existence of luck, probability, and stats. The Adjectives in late fall/early winter lead the NHL, and by the end of the year were in the basement, because as everyone knew (but their fans refused to even consider) they were the luckiest team in the league. That fanbase is almost as paranoid as Vancouver in thinking the league is out to get it too.

They Wild also employ noted shitstain Cal Clutterbuck and have probably the worst rivalry in pro sports with the Avs. It's not like the Avs/Wings in their heyday, or the Leafs with the Sens or Habs or Bruins, where you look forward to the chance to beat up on each other. We see the Wild on our schedule and go "aw, man... Them?" because Avs-Wild games are always always terrible.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

Quote by Unourrit01
worst nhl season thread ever.

Without a good harmonic knowledge, one cannot expect to become a great jazz soloist ~ Horace Silver

Quote by dietermoreno
Is it possible for 6 string guitar to tune lower than drop C and scales still work?
Wait, there's a rivalry with the Avs?

I still stand by my previous comments last year, where yeah, the probability of the Wild making the playoff wasn't in their favor, but injuries really stopped whatever momentum they had going on in the first months of the season. I think I figured that if they played .500 the rest of the season they would have gotten in the playoffs just fine.
There's no death, no end of time when I'm facing it with you...
Quote by JackWhiteIsButts
We don't 'preciate your type round here.

I was hoping Thrash would be the one to kick me out!
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Quote by SteveHouse
It wasn't purely defensive minded, no, but it was still boring as hell.

They're also represented online with one of the most annoying fanbases in existence (you guys are ok in here tho, you listen to reason) lead by Whiner In Chief Bryan Reynolds, who in general refuse to acknowledge the existence of luck, probability, and stats. The Adjectives in late fall/early winter lead the NHL, and by the end of the year were in the basement, because as everyone knew (but their fans refused to even consider) they were the luckiest team in the league. That fanbase is almost as paranoid as Vancouver in thinking the league is out to get it too.

They Wild also employ noted shitstain Cal Clutterbuck and have probably the worst rivalry in pro sports with the Avs. It's not like the Avs/Wings in their heyday, or the Leafs with the Sens or Habs or Bruins, where you look forward to the chance to beat up on each other. We see the Wild on our schedule and go "aw, man... Them?" because Avs-Wild games are always always terrible.

1. Didn't Reynolds bash the Wild after they plummeted with the two day injury nightmare?
2. You can say that about just about any fanbase. Honestly I knew they were going to drop last year, most people did. I just liked enjoying it while they were winning and hoped for a playoff spot. Same thing I'm hoping for this year, just a trip to the playoffs, maybe a Division if they get super lucky.
3. Cal Buttercup is a shitstain and will probably be traded at the deadline for a veteran Dman. Also, dissing Clutterbuck while the Avs employ McLeod is a bit of a double standard.

Also, I like the Avs. They're a team I'd probably want to see succeed if they weren't in the same division as the Wild. Landeskog is a beast, and Varlomov is surprising the hell out of most people.
Quote by wizards?
1. Didn't Reynolds bash the Wild after they plummeted with the two day injury nightmare?

No. Reynolds kept going with posts about how the NHL wouldn't notice if a Wild player was decapitated.
2. You can say that about just about any fanbase. Honestly I knew they were going to drop last year, most people did. I just liked enjoying it while they were winning and hoped for a playoff spot. Same thing I'm hoping for this year, just a trip to the playoffs, maybe a Division if they get super lucky.

Remember I excluded you and Pooks, so getting defensive is pointless. You just explained why you're an exclusion yourself too gj
3. Cal Buttercup is a shitstain and will probably be traded at the deadline for a veteran Dman. Also, dissing Clutterbuck while the Avs employ McLeod is a bit of a double standard.

lol implying the Wild will be buyers at the deadline

McLeod isn't any dirtier than any other not-very-good-at-hockey 4th line enforcer in the league. He's a grinder/fighter. Kevin Porter had more dirty hits while he was an Av than McLeod did ffs. (Patrick Bordeleau, in Lake Erie, is dirty, if you're looking for a bad guy in the Avs organization.) Clusterfuck is a cheap hitter/turtle. Totally brutal comparison.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa

^He'll drop, he just doesn't drop with heavyweights because he isn't one. I've always considered him an energy line 4th line guy who scores sometimes. Reynolds is kind of right though on that, the Wild really do fly under the radar for a team that's located in hockey central of the US.

If you want a slightly biased and pretty funny view on the Wild, read Michael Russo, he's their beat writer and he's one of the best in the game these days.
It wasn't about going under the radar. It was about the league (read: not media or fans) purposefully ignoring "suspendable" hits the Wild sustained when in reality there wasn't even anything illegal about most of them. That's paranoia.

(The wild are under the radar because Minny isn't a real huge media market and the team isn't contending for Cups.)

I quite like Russo, his blogs about the lockout were never anything but excellent and he spreads his energy around to the local cawlidge hawkey as well, which I'm always glad to see from NHL beat writers. Plus his occasional Twitter slapfights with Dater are hilarious because there's always the undertone of them being buddies having a go.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa

Raffi Torres is still suspended
DOESN'T REALLY CARE ABOUT RON WILSON
If you have multiple top-14 picks do you get more balls? CBJ has three first rounders in the next draft.
Henrique > Kovalchuk > Parise
I approve of this season's thread.

Yeh so fantasy league? Set it up.
Last edited by Reviewer Pete at Jan 7, 2013,
Really though, I'm decidedly not all doom and gloom when it comes to the Leafs future. The lockout was pretty shitty but there's some serious light at the end of the tunnel for the Leafs in my eyes. Laugh and call me an optimist who bought into the kool aid when the kool aid man offered it, but it is what it is.

One major aspect of the new cba that could potentially be reality after ratification that hasn't really been mentioned by many has to do with contracting rights. More importantly, aspects of contracting rights in regards to cap circumventing contracts that are albatross when it comes to their front loaded nature. The league wasn't just looking to eliminate these contracts moving forwards, they were looking to limit the advantages inherent to them by adding restrictions towards them in the new cba for the ones that already exist. These Parise, Suter, Luongo, Kovy, etc retirement contracts with the big bucks would be poised to become Ricky D contracts on steroids.

The media barely focused on the true ramifications and the momentum this had going into and during the negotiations even when it was leaked during coverage partially through the lockout debacle. It was discussed in a subtle and low-key manner, which is surprising. We'll see what happens with ratification, but if even parts of this makes it into the new cba the whole cap situations and trade landscape of many teams will be turned right on their heads.

That's the reason why Toronto never had a legitimate chance at any of the main big free agent signings in the last few years. Burke understood the future penalties, restrictions, and general headaches these contracts are going to cause moving forwards and didn't make any of the major splashes. What he did do, however, was set the Leafs up to be one of the most prepared and flexible franchises going into the new CBA. Last time we were set up to fail, this time we've been set up to thrive.

We have insane amounts of cap space right now and the way in which are contracts are structured this insane amount of cap space is going to become absolutely unreal after that. Go look up the realities of Toronto's cap situation and you'll understand how well set up we're going to be moving forwards. While many franchises that tend to be in on the bidding wars for the top players have set themselves up in pretty horrible contractual situations if my informed hunch on some contents of the new CBA are correct (and I'm not alone with these sentiments, I recently read an article by Siegal where he correctly hinted at this, albeit in a decidedly subtle manner).

When it comes to unrestricted free agency there's no longer really any legitimate reason to fear for a Leafs fan. What we get to observe right now are the fruits of prior frustrations due to Burke's self imposed limits which effectively ruled Toronto out of the bidding for the top flight guys under the old CBA's terms. The circumstances in which contracts can be drawn will be significantly altered in a manner that is kosher with the Leafs belief system when it comes to contracts. We can legitimately compete and table comparably attractive offers whereas under the old cba we couldn't due to the foresight and restraint being displayed.

The Leafs aren't the Blue jackets. Toronto is a very attractive destination for unrestricted free agents. They are now finally on equal footing when it comes to the contracts they can offer (equal footing with the top destinations), have ridiculous amounts of cap space and flexibility, are an incredibly lucrative market for top flight players to thrive and win in (Toronto is by far the biggest and most valuable franchise and located in the largest hockey market in the world. Money from a winning Toronto team, or even decent Toronto team in sponsorship's for a top guy is certainly enticing), and Toronto is an up and coming team. There are some holes, but we really will have much more options available to us when it comes to filling them under the landscape of the new CBA. There's a talented young core getting close to starting to make some noise in the big leagues and soon will come the time when the Leafs are legitimately expected to make the "next step" internally. Everything is structured cohesively, intelligently, and effectively moving forwards and is pretty clear to observe.

I could keep typing all day really.

Basically this post is about 80% pure Leafs talk. Watch ratification on contracting rights, specifically when it comes to restrictions on cap circumventing contracts. It's a major thing that has had lots of momentum coming into and during the negotiations yet has received very little fanfare in the media. There are some huge ramifications that will be seen if it even partially gets passed, and we'll all have so much hilarity towards the whole Luongo debacle if it does. Lots of teams that had shitty, shady practices are gonna have bad times and Toronto is going to come into the new CBA landscape sitting pretty with insane cap space amongst many other positive aspects of the franchise that have been structured around the reality of a new CBA.

It's not a new thread without a monster of a post like this.
I'm not so sure players consider Toronto to be as attractive as you make it out. Sure, if you wanna win a Cup there are few better cities should you pull it off, but the media, pressure, attention etc...not all players dig that.
Those "negative" aspects are perpetuated by dunderheads who lack any sort of real appreciable sense and understanding of the situation. The reason we've had no shot at the top flight guys is mostly because of the issues I outlined in my post. Professional athletes are expected and can easily deal with media, pressure and attention, even in the most hockey rabid market in the world. The fact of the matter is the root cause for these "negative" influences are also the root causes for far, far more appealing positive aspects of playing for Toronto (especially a playoff bound Toronto team, even a borderline one). There's a very long history of Toronto free agency that proves this theory wrong. Toronto is a top destination, and will be a top destination now that the Leafs are willing to properly break out the dumptrucks full of money.
Habs POWER TO PLAYOFFS lines

Galchenyuk-Plekanec-Cole
Pacioretty-Gomez-Gionta
Eller-Desharnais-Bourque
Prust-Armstrong-Moen

Gorges-Subban
Markov-Emelin
Kaberle-Frank The Tank Bouillon
Diaz

Price
Buddha

... this plan hinges on a few things such as Gomez remembering how to be awesome. He had 21 points in 19 games the last time he played with Pacioretty and Gio... before the former hit a stanchion. And fourth line doesn't have a natural center but hey, get in there bois

Gally Jesus playing with our best two-way forward and Cole who's a big man and fast as ****
Desharnais gets two big bodies in Eller and Bourque

Markov and Kaberle runs a PP unit each for a 70% PP ratin'

Price stops all shots

stanley cup get
Quote by Ichikurosaki
sloth is hacking away feebly at the grass because he is a sloth but he was trying so hard ;_; hes all "penguin im HERE i am here to help you penguin"
Last edited by Demon Wolf at Jan 7, 2013,
gally on the top line? lol hes not nhl ready yet forget top line dude missed all but two games last year let him get some seasoning
I have absolutely no idea what our lineup is going to be.

Ovechkin-Backstrom-Johansson/Brouwer/Wolski
???-Ribeiro-???
Chimera-Laich-Ward
Hendricks-Beagle-Crabb

Carlson-Alzner
Green-Schultz
Orlov-Hamrlik

Holtby
Neuvirth

...Maybe?

Adam Oates better not be an asshole.
Last edited by JackWhiteIsButts at Jan 7, 2013,
Kovalchuk-Zajac-Clarkson
Henrique-Elias-Zubrus
Tedenby-Josefson-Butler
CBGB

Greene-Fayne
Larsson-Tallinder
Zidlicky-Volchenkov

Legend
Moose
kessel kessel kessel
kessel kessel kessel
kessel kessel kessel
kessel kessel brown

kessel kessel
kessel kessel
ranger kessel

reimer
kessel
Quote by JackWhiteIsButts
Lol, You Left Parise Out Of The Lineup Dingus.

With that contract, I am exceptionally happy that he is not a Devil.
Kovy's contract will prove to be better than Parise's. When Kovy's legs are gone, he still has his shot. What does Parise have when his body can't handle his playing style anymore?

N
O
T
H
I
N
G
That's like thyroid cancer being better than testicular cancer. At the end of the day you still have cancer.
Quote by Thrashtastic15
gally on the top line? lol hes not nhl ready yet forget top line dude missed all but two games last year let him get some seasoning

It wasn't completely serious. And Gally will be at camp but unless he tears it up I have a hard time seeing Bergevin wanting to waste a year of his ELC.

Pacioretty-Desharnais-Cole
Bourque-Plekanec-Gionta
Eller-Gomez-Armstrong
Moen-White-Prust

Gorges-Subban
Markov-Emelin
Kaberle-Bouillon/Diaz

Price
Budaj

That's probably how it's going to look.
Quote by Ichikurosaki
sloth is hacking away feebly at the grass because he is a sloth but he was trying so hard ;_; hes all "penguin im HERE i am here to help you penguin"