Xiaoxi
Registered Luser
170 IQ
A guitar player plays scales/modes

A musician plays music

A TS plays with his wiener

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
rockingamer2
Larmarky Remark
10 IQ
Guitarists are musicians.
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
chronowarp
10 IQ
Quote by HoneyboyHart
My point is that some "guitarists" are so busy playing with their guitar, they don't listen and play parts that make the song better. The best guitarists are musician's first.

Ya, but that could be said of any instrumentalist...ever.

It's more like what's the difference between being a technician and a musician?
rjaylaf
I dunno :(
10 IQ
A guitarist must learn to play guitar before he plays "music"...
This sig will self-destruct in 5 seconds.

Hot e-cousin of girlgerms007

I love Tracie.

Soundcloud
Haydenr25
110 IQ
I think the OP is referring to "lead guitarist syndrome". People who play fast just for attention/the sake of it and don't think of it as music.
Quintex
Still Learning
20 IQ
This thread again?

Really?
If I miss one day of practice, I notice it.
If I miss two days, the critics notice it.
If I miss three days, the audience notices it.

Ingacy Jan Paderewski (1860 - 1941)
satchfan9
30 IQ
"Guitarists tend to focus on playing skills, musicians tend to focus on playing and music skills(theory/reading/aural and artists use these skills to create their music..."-GW's 100 tips to make you a better player, tip 90 "Know who you are"
celitus
Baroque and roll
70 IQ
I think the TS actually has a point depspite the reponses here so far.

The bare bones of it I think is a guitarist thinks about his instrument, the musican thinks about all instruments, for example, someone who is a guitarist could sit at a piano and try to play it and get nowhere because "I dont know piano" but someone who is a musician might be able to sit down and play something, maybe not something complex, but at least a melody.

I know people on a music course I did, who when they were told to record an electronic track, didnt know what to do, because they couldnt use guitar to do it, they were alright guitarists, they could write songs on guitar, but as soon as they didnt have one, they couldnt write songs anymore. That is a guitarist, the musicians in the class sat at the keyboard and managed to do a composition, to varying degrees of sucess of course and of course they came from different backgrounds etc, but I believe the concept is true of anybody who plays an instrument.
Mister A.J.
Ker-Blang-a-Woggle
62 IQ
I feel like this is necessary.

Join the 7 String Legion!

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.

Official Approval
This message has been approved by:

Mister A.J.
Head of the Department of Redundancy Department
Mister A.J.
AlanHB
Godin's Resident Groupie
200 IQ
Just to add to this:

A musician writes the best part for the song.

A guitar player writes the best part for jerking himself off.

Perhaps the terminology is incorrect, it's more me encountering a lot of persons who fall into the latter category on various instruments lately. I can see the attraction but it often causes rifts in the band and the music suffers from a lack of consistency/coherency.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
HoneyboyHart
60 IQ
Again not to be so obvious... but I know lots of people who can play guitar from a technical point of view, but they are clueless when it comes to coming up with parts that make the song better. Of course if you like shredding you may not think this way. And you may be right.

But in my old age I appreciate people like B.B. King, Anson Funderburg, Ronnie Earl and Robben Ford who can play their instruments but also know how to play within the context of the song and make it better.

I guess I was just trying to start an argument. Sorry...
Hail
i'm a mean bully
60 IQ
Quote by TV-Casualty
guitar is for idiots

finally some sense in this forum
Quote by theogonia777
Hail killed MT

Quote by jongtr
I want to be Hail when I grow up.
20Tigers
50 IQ
All guitarists are musicians. Not all musicians are guitarists.

i.e. one is simply a subset of the other.

Denial of this simple logic is nothing more than hi-jacking a word to create a sort of musical elitism based on personal taste.
Si
chatterbox272
100 IQ
Quote by 20Tigers

I would have to disagree with that statement. I've met 'guitarists' who I could ask to play quavers on an E power chord and they just look at me like I'm stupid. This one in particular I then asked to play an E note and he said he didn't know notes. I had to tell him to play 0 on the first string and 2 on the second string, and tap the speed for him before he could play it. Never read music, only ever read text tab. That is not a musician.

IMO to be a 'musician' you have to have at least a simplistic understanding of the theory that applies to your instrument. So if I ask a guitarist to play a power chord s/he bloody well better be able to play it, and if I asked a pianist to read sheet music s/he better be able to read it (at least slowly).
macashmack
Maskcashmack
170 IQ
Quote by 20Tigers

i.e. one is simply a subset of the other.

Denial of this simple logic is nothing more than hi-jacking a word to create a sort of musical elitism based on personal taste.

What's wrong with elitism?
Geldin
150 IQ
I think of myself as a guitarist and a musician, but they're separate entities.

The guitarist is the technical aspect of my playing. How good of a guitarist I am is dependent solely on my technique and how well I can execute a given passage.

The musician is the musical aspect. How good of a musician I am is dependent on how I and others perceive the music I produce.
Barricade_28
180 IQ
Quote by 20Tigers

Agreed. Thread over.
TheProtoTYPE
Banned
10 IQ
When I think of the word musician I think of a music-technician. So that being said I think that a musician deals with music writing and reading as it relates to all instruments. However a guitarist is someone who restricts themselves to guitar.

Question: Would someone be considered a musician if they could not read or write manuscript?
Last edited by TheProtoTYPE at Jan 9, 2013,
Hail
i'm a mean bully
60 IQ
Quote by Barricade_28
Agreed. Thread over.

wrong
Quote by theogonia777
Hail killed MT

Quote by jongtr
Scott Jones
Tab Contributor
90 IQ
I tell my students to first, see themselves as a creative expressionist. A creative expressionist that employs the language of music to bring about their vision. Then, to first consider themselves musicians. Musicians who just happen to have chosen guitar through which to express the language of music.

So, focus on fully realizing your creative expression as a musical communicator via guitar, and you're on the right track.

LiquidSkies
413 IQ
Quote by TheProtoTYPE
When I think of the word musician I think of a music-technician. So that being said I think that a musician deals with music writing and reading as it relates to all instruments. However a guitarist is someone who restricts themselves to guitar.

That reminds me a lot what I heard wayyy back at a class in university (music history)...
People honestly used to argue something like this (in the late medieval or was it already the Renaissance period...it's 10 years ago, so my memory is kinda fuzzy?):
Guy who plays instrument = performer.
Guy who writes music = composer.
Guy who analyzes music & writes about the stuff people compose = musician.
We really see the elitism of the people who wrote about music in this logic.

Personally, I'm not sure. All this calling names is just a matter of perspective, isn't it? Music is my hobby, I play three instruments, write music, etc. but I'd never introduce myself as "I'm a musician" to a stranger because I'm not making my living with music but with something else.
TheProtoTYPE
Banned
10 IQ
Quote by LiquidSkies
That reminds me a lot what I heard wayyy back at a class in university (music history)...
People honestly used to argue something like this (in the late medieval or was it already the Renaissance period...it's 10 years ago, so my memory is kinda fuzzy?):
Guy who plays instrument = performer.
Guy who writes music = composer.
Guy who analyzes music & writes about the stuff people compose = musician.
We really see the elitism of the people who wrote about music in this logic.

Personally, I'm not sure. All this calling names is just a matter of perspective, isn't it? Music is my hobby, I play three instruments, write music, etc. but I'd never introduce myself as "I'm a musician" to a stranger because I'm not making my living with music but with something else.

me neither. I don't buy into elitism any more. No matter how good I get or how successful my music career gets I will always think of myself as an amature.
Hail
i'm a mean bully
60 IQ
Quote by TheProtoTYPE
me neither. I don't buy into elitism any more. No matter how good I get or how successful my music career gets I will always think of myself as an amature.

until you reach this level

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ReMG-e562lg
Quote by theogonia777
Hail killed MT

Quote by jongtr
Hail
i'm a mean bully
60 IQ
go to the part where he switches the beat, he gets so serious

i got like 18 baby mamas, but they don't know that yet
Quote by theogonia777
Hail killed MT

Quote by jongtr
British_Steal
UG Member
80 IQ
Quote by chatterbox272
I would have to disagree with that statement. I've met 'guitarists' who I could ask to play quavers on an E power chord and they just look at me like I'm stupid. This one in particular I then asked to play an E note and he said he didn't know notes. I had to tell him to play 0 on the first string and 2 on the second string, and tap the speed for him before he could play it. Never read music, only ever read text tab. That is not a musician.

IMO to be a 'musician' you have to have at least a simplistic understanding of the theory that applies to your instrument. So if I ask a guitarist to play a power chord s/he bloody well better be able to play it, and if I asked a pianist or guitarist to read sheet music s/he better be able to read it (at least slowly).

fixed
Quote by The Spoon
Unless you're sure she likes you, telling her you like her has a 110% chance of failing.

But hey, at least you have a 10% chance of absolutely guaranteeing failure.