seabear70
Lost in the Twilight Zone
490 IQ
Ok, I realize we are only talking about a $20 part, but I managed to pick up a cheap foot switch from an electronics store with a 1/4" mono plug on it for $5.

It works perfectly, which tells me that any simple SPST switch will do the same for this purpose.
james4
1,118 IQ
yep, lots of footswitches work that way. Ones with two switches are typically a stereo plug, with one switch grounding the tip and the other grounding the ring

yay for saving money by making things!
seabear70
490 IQ
Quote by james4
yep, lots of footswitches work that way. Ones with two switches are typically a stereo plug, with one switch grounding the tip and the other grounding the ring

yay for saving money by making things!

Let's face it, I do half of this for entertainment value.

I'd save money buying off the rack.
Way Cool JR.
1,504 IQ
Quote by seabear70
Ok, I realize we are only talking about a $20 part, but I managed to pick up a cheap foot switch from an electronics store with a 1/4" mono plug on it for $5.

It works perfectly, which tells me that any simple SPST switch will do the same for this purpose.

Would be great if you would supply the name of the electronics store and possibly a part #. That is if it's a big chain store (i.e Radio Shack) and a normally stocked item. I actually could use a nice cheap (already made) pedal for my Mustang I.
Last edited by Way Cool JR. at Jan 7, 2013,
seabear70
490 IQ
Quote by Way Cool JR.
Would be great if you would supply the name of the electronics store and possibly a part #. That is if it's a big chain store (i.e Radio Shack) and a normally stocked item. I actually could use a nice cheap (already made) pedal for my Mustang I.

Sorry, I got it off of a discount table at a local place.

However, any spst on/off button will work.
Mars Rover
Guitar Cannibal
612 IQ
Some fender amps require a 2-button footswitch with a mono ¼” plug. With only two conductors, they depend on switching diodes (in the pedal) to operate the two separate functions. Some amps don’t come with a footswitch and Fender charges about $40 for these – and the ones with channel/drive won’t work with their amps that require channel/effects. If you have an old 2-button switch around you may only need maybe five bucks worth of diodes and a mono plug to replace the stereo plug.

I found this diagram on the web and it works like a charm. I felt kind of bad about drilling holes for the LEDs in the old Musicman pedal but I have two of them and the other one isn’t missing the Musicman logo. I even re-used the old cord. The only new parts are 2 diodes, 2 LEDs and the plug.

EBMM JP6, EBMM Bongo Bass 5-string, Heritage H140CM, ESP Tele Copy, ESP P-Bass Copy, ESP Maverick, Fender HM Strat, Ibanez ST-55, Epiphone Broadway, Taylor 310, Seagull S-12, Musicman Sixty-Five Reverb, Fender HRD, Ampeg B-25B