Poll: What's your favorite genre of music?
Poll Options
View poll results: What's your favorite genre of music?
Classic Rock/ Pop
11 6%
Acoustic/ Singer-Songwriter/ Folk
8 4%
Electronic Dance / Pop
5 3%
80's rock/ pop/ shred/ "hair" metal
6 3%
Indie/ Emo/ Grunge/ Alternative
35 18%
Punk/ Hardcore/ Screamo/ the other type of Emo... you know what I mean
13 7%
Metal
58 30%
Pop Punk
4 2%
Hip Hop/ Rap
10 5%
Other
43 22%
Voters: 193.
Page 4 of 5
Quote by Burgery

lol

lol
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
Quote by Hydra150
lol

lawl
Quote by korinaflyingv
On the come up we were listening to Grateful Dead and the music started passing through my bowel and out my arsehole as this violet stream of light. I shat music. It was beautiful.
Quote by Burgery
lawl

pffft
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
I put 'other' because I don't really have a favourite 'genre'

I like a lot of blues and rock 'n' roll (both of which were missing from the survey) classic rock, metal, punk, indie, etc. pretty much anything with a distorted guitar really, but I also like a lot of acoustic 'folk' music too.
Shred. I am the 2%.
455 75 34 88

(´・ω・`)

Quote by strait jacket
Do you like being sigged or, like me do you feel strangely violated?
Quote by whywefight
Shoulda made it a public poll so we can discriminate.

I had a bitch of a time choosing between metal and punk.

It's funny because bitches choose metal or punk

Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
I couldn't pick one, so alphabetically (I'm going with subgenres too): bluegrass, dark ambient, drone, folk metal, funeral doom, outlaw country, and trance.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Jazz... Jazz~Fusion... Progressive Rock/Metal... Classic Rock...
Gear:-
ESP LTD M-50.
Roland Cube20XL.
Warwick Rockbass Corvette Classic 5-String.
Warwick BC-40 Bass Amp.
Morley Power Wah.
EHX Big Muff.
A mix of these four honestly

Indie/ Emo/ Grunge/ Alternative
Punk/ Hardcore/ Screamo/ the other type of Emo... you know what I mean
Metal
Pop Punk

I couldn't pick between them since I listen to bands from all of them almost daily
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Would've gone with anything "Progressive" but I picked metal, because most of it is and some of the music I quite like (e.g. Death//Doom) isn't strictly progressive.
Guitars & Gear:
Parker Nitefly M
Sumer Metal Driver
Ibanez RGD2120Z
AMT SS-11B
Two Notes Torpedo CAB
Post-Rock isn't there, which is a genre I really like. I still really like Metal though, so I picked that. (Would've picked that anyway, but I would've clicked Post-Rock, if it was on there and there were multiple choices allowed.)

Quote by Emperor's Child
Would've gone with anything "Progressive" but I picked metal, because most of it is and some of the music I quite like (e.g. Death//Doom) isn't strictly progressive.

But progressive is more of a descriptor, in the same way that "indie" is a descriptor. It covers multiple genres. Still, as someone who also listens to a lot of progressive, I can see your point.
Last edited by crazysam23_Atax at Jan 7, 2013,
Quote by crazysam23_Atax

But progressive is more of a descriptor, in the same way that "indie" is a descriptor. It covers multiple genres. Still, as someone who also listens to a lot of progressive, I can see your point.

In the UK at least, Indie is actually quite a well defined genre in and of itself. Bands like Bombay Bicycle Club, early Foals and (try to think of an example an American will know) Arcade Fire are what we call Indie.

EDIT: Actually, Arcade Fire is an awful example. Vampire Weekend would be a much better one.
Last edited by willT08 at Jan 7, 2013,
Quote by willT08
In the UK at least, Indie is actually quite a well defined genre in and of itself. Bands like Bombay Bicycle Club, early Foals and (try to think of an example an American will know) Arcade Fire are what we call Indie.

It's really the same in the US with indie. I have no clue where he got that from. And I should also make a note that progressive rock (when talking about bands like King Crimson, Yes, ELP, etc) is as an equally well defined genre in it's own right.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by willT08

EDIT: Actually, Arcade Fire is an awful example. Vampire Weekend would be a much better one.

That's what I would call indie as well
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Quote by WCPhils
That's what I would call indie as well

Do you know Bombay Bicycle Club and Foals in America?

:3
Quote by willT08
Do you know Bombay Bicycle Club and Foals in America?

:3

BBC is pretty good

Never heard of FiA though. And they don't seem to be on Spotify :/
___

Quote by The_Blode
Quote by WCPhils
BBC is pretty good

He meant do Americans know Foal.
Quote by WCPhils
BBC is pretty good

Noooo, just Foals. Like, do you know Foals in the US?

And you're damn right BBC are good. Equal best show of my life was them at Alexandra Palace.
Oh,

Never listened to them though. I'll check em out
___

Quote by The_Blode
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
I guess that's my point. I don't care too much whether the music is acoustic, metal or both! I guess I think the 'descriptor' is the more important part of the genre name. After all, you might get a lot of people who assosciate themselves with jazz but don't care for smooth jazz etc...
Guitars & Gear:
Parker Nitefly M
Sumer Metal Driver
Ibanez RGD2120Z
AMT SS-11B
Two Notes Torpedo CAB
Quote by LostLegion
See sig.

An irishman who likes Reggae...

Are you Maverick Sabre?

If you're not, can you tell that guy to stop singing in Patwa, it takes the piss and like, it's kind of faintly racist.
Quote by willT08
An irishman who likes Reggae...

Are you Maverick Sabre?

If you're not, can you tell that guy to stop singing in Patwa, it takes the piss and like, it's kind of faintly racist.

*Patois.

Yeah I hate it when they do that. But sometimes it's just kinda instinctive.
Quote by LostLegion
*Patois.

Yeah I hate it when they do that. But sometimes it's just kinda instinctive.

Dammit, went with the wrong patois, stupid Indian Patwa.

Fair enough, just like, have a word at the next meeting and I'm sure everything will sort itself out.
I voted "metal", but don't actually like most of it subgenres. I can't stand "brutal" genres like black, death and metalcore (they do have fun riffs to play though). I like more melodic stuffs like classic, hair, gothic and power. Also hard rock, classic rock, AOR and bit of punk and grunge. Very few thrash and progressive songs.

I also like classic music and some acoustic stuffs.
Quote by jetfuel495
I was mostly into west coast. And no.

I'd give you a 5/10 on the nasty n8 coolness scale.
Picking East coast would have given you an extra 2 points, listening to Big Pun would give you 3 more, and saying Southern Hip Hop would've given you 4.
you're a stone fox
lol, I didn't even know there was east and west coast rap
___

Quote by The_Blode
Quote by WCPhils
lol, I didn't even know there was east and west coast rap

srs
Quote by korinaflyingv
On the come up we were listening to Grateful Dead and the music started passing through my bowel and out my arsehole as this violet stream of light. I shat music. It was beautiful.
Quote by Burgery
srs

I had heard it in a few rap songs but didn't think it was a real thing

I listen to almost no rap whatsoever though, so
___

Quote by The_Blode
Quote by WCPhils
I had heard it in a few rap songs but didn't think it was a real thing

I listen to almost no rap whatsoever though, so

You should start
you're a stone fox
Quote by Saint78
You should start

I've tried to listen

Death Grips new album is the only rap album (I'm not even sure it's rap honestly. Just saying that before someone makes fun of me. ) I've heard in a few years that I've liked.

It just rarely ever appeals to me. I have nothing against it though.
___

Quote by The_Blode
Last edited by WCPhils at Jan 7, 2013,