amitm9s6
324 IQ
Im trying to choose betwen 2 guitars :

1) Epiphone Les Paul Standard
2) Fender Standard Strotocaster

I can only take one of these 2 guitars..
I usually play Rock (no metal, and if so, very few)...

Which guitar you think fits better.. ? I'm really in a hard desicion rigth now...

by the way, if it metters, it will be my first electric guitar...

Thanks for the help!
Carl6661
UG Freak
2,096 IQ
They're both pretty common instruments, I would say play them both and just figure out what feels and sounds best to you. That's assuming you live somewhere where guitars are easy to come by, obviously.
I deeply regret the 6661 in my username. Siiiigh. Damn you, 14 year old me, you edgy little bastard.
Mephaphil
No empty frets.
1,956 IQ
The Strat.

More consistent quality. Plus, it's a Strat!
Quote by Shredwizard445
Go ahead and spend your money, I don't care. It won't make you sound better.

Quote by Shredwizard445
Sure upgrading your gear will make you sound better.

MaggaraMarine
Slapping the bass.
3,411 IQ
The Les Paul has pretty weak pickups (it was my first guitar) and if I had to choose another of those, I would take the Strat because I would like to have a guitar with single coils.

Still, I think both will do it pretty well. The Les Paul is a decent guitar, I don't have any experiences with the Strat. You would maybe need to swap the pickups, it would do good to the sound of the Les Paul.

Also, the Strat is more "real". It has the Fender logo on it. The Les Paul is only an Epiphone, not a real Gibson. Well, it doesn't really matter, just saying.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Charvel So Cal
Ibanez Blazer
Yamaha FG720S-12
Tokai TB48
Laney VC30
Hartke HyDrive 210c
T00DEEPBLUE
Boba FRETT
2,245 IQ
The two guitars could not be more different. How am i supposed to tell you what is right for you because you're comparing chalk to cheese.
Quote by MaggaraMarine
The Les Paul has pretty weak pickups (it was my first guitar) and if I had to choose another of those, I would take the Strat because I would like to have a guitar with single coils.

Still, I think both will do it pretty well. The Les Paul is a decent guitar, I don't have any experiences with the Strat. You would maybe need to swap the pickups, it would do good to the sound of the Les Paul.

Also, the Strat is more "real". It has the Fender logo on it. The Les Paul is only an Epiphone, not a real Gibson. Well, it doesn't really matter, just saying.

All of this post.
Regarding the furry fandom from the man himself:
Quote by Axelfox
Please understand how little we as a community care
WholeLottaIzzy
UGs Only Rhythm Guitarist
6,023 IQ
They are both good guitars but both very different. We cannot tell you which is best. It's all opinion.
Carl6661
UG Freak
2,096 IQ
Quote by MaggaraMarine
Also, the Strat is more "real". It has the Fender logo on it. The Les Paul is only an Epiphone, not a real Gibson.

Wow, can you really tell the difference between two guitars that have different names on the headstock? Why hadn't I thought of that when trying to tell the difference between two companies or two guitars!?

Sorry if that came across as harsh or cruel by the way, I'm just joking with you On a more serious note, that means nothing anyway - I've played brilliant Squiers/Epiphones, and I've played awful Fenders/Gibsons. The branding doesn't stand for, or mean anything unless you're a brand-snob.

If anything, and I'll probably be unpopular for saying this, but I would say that a lot of the Squiers and Epiphones are a lot more consistent than a decent amount of the more expensive models from the ''real'' companies, as you call them.

EDIT -
Quote by TuningGamer
If you usually play rock, you could look for an HSS strat, that's pretty versatile and makes for a good beginner guitar.

That's what I was thinking. HSS it by far one of the most versatile pickup combinatons, in my opinion.
I deeply regret the 6661 in my username. Siiiigh. Damn you, 14 year old me, you edgy little bastard.
Last edited by Carl6661 at Jan 8, 2013,
amitm9s6
324 IQ
Thanks for your comments guys!
but I ment that you think the strat is good for Rock? I dont play a lot of metal if at all, mostly rock.. Will it fit me well.. ? Because I know the Epiphone fits metal pretty well...
Last edited by amitm9s6 at Jan 8, 2013,
TuningGamer
2 years and going strong
430 IQ
If you usually play rock, you could look for an HSS strat, that's pretty versatile and makes for a good beginner guitar.

Budget is important here, because there are the Yamaha Pacifica which seem to get some good remarks, but a MIM Fender Strat HSS seems good too, albeit a bit more expensive.
Gear:

Guitars:
LTD Viper 100FM
Ibanez RG320PG P2 (For sale*)
Ibanez RGA32 (w/ IronGear pups)
Epiphone Pro-1

Amps:
Vox VT15
or
Vox Tonelab EX
- through -
Peavey KB-300

* = PM me for more details

Quote by Willowthewitch

The actual correct answer
Axe Murderer
1,428 IQ
Do some research. Strats are excellent for rock (and all other types of music). There really is no one guitar for "X" type of music.
MaggaraMarine
Slapping the bass.
3,411 IQ

It was a joke when I said the Fender is more real than Epiphone. That's why I used

Sorry. I should have been more clear that it was meant to be a joke.
Quote by AlanHB

Gear

Charvel So Cal
Ibanez Blazer
Yamaha FG720S-12
Tokai TB48
Laney VC30
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Offworld92
One among the fence.
7,563 IQ
I honestly don't even know what rock is.

TS, what bands are you going to be playing?

HSS Strat is a safe bet, that's my initial thought as well.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
JKHC
918 IQ
Quote by Offworld92
I honestly don't even know what rock is.

TS, what bands are you going to be playing?

This

If his "rock" is clapton/jeff beck etc, then a SSS would be a better choice.
If it's more of GnR/ACDC then the epiphone would suit.
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
unplugged89
43 IQ
Ok ok ok, I have an idea.

Imagine that you and your band are doing a gig, and you've decided with your bandmates that you are going to do a setlist comprised entirely of covers of bands whose sounds you would like to emulate. Could you list out the bands that would feature on this list?

That, or an HSS Strat. I have one and it's bloody lovely. Classic, pretty, mod-able, holds it's value and if you play it right it can sound a bit like a LP anyway. If you can find one with an S-1 switch then all the better.
amitm9s6
324 IQ
I'm playing bands like Nickelback, Green Day, 3 Doors Down, Oasis, RHCP , Paramore ,and after I'll get the electric guitar prob Bon Jovi,Skillet, Guns N' Roses and some other bands like this..

Also, I searched for Standard Stratocaster HSS, and found "Fender American Standard Stratocaster HSS", which is way above my budget.. even if Ill combine my guitar + amp budget together, I wont reach the budget to buy the guitar alone..
unless, there is a cheaper model of it and I dont know.. ?
MaggaraMarine
Slapping the bass.
3,411 IQ
^^ Yes, there's a Mexican version that costs the same as the SSS version.

The bands you listed are pretty much humbucker bands though there are some that play with single coils so HSS Strat would be the right guitar for you.
Quote by AlanHB

Gear

Charvel So Cal
Ibanez Blazer
Yamaha FG720S-12
Tokai TB48
Laney VC30
Hartke HyDrive 210c
dannyalcatraz
Black Cherry Jello
3,265 IQ
From that list of bands, I'd look for some kind of HSS guitar- Fender, Godin, Yamaha, Fernandes, Carvin, G&L, Ibanez and a host of makers make them.

What's your guitar budget, and what's your amp budget?
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

alhaq369
It is very impotent to success a business.
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Jan 8, 2013,
bigblockelectra
571 IQ
Although I do not own one, I would probably buy an HSS stratocaster if I had to do it over again. Not that you can't get good sounds out of the single coil bridge pickup, (I get very pleasing sounds from it when playing distorted), the trademark bridge pickup non-distorted sound is a little bright for my liking (but some really like it). The clean bridge pickup on my humbucker equipped Ibanez is one of my favorites....and overall it is a very bland sounding guitar, so I would imagine an HSS would be very nice.

I have only tried an Epiphone LP briefly and it was before I really started to play so I don't really remember. It looked really nice.
amitm9s6
324 IQ
Quote by MaggaraMarine
^^ Yes, there's a Mexican version that costs the same as the SSS version.

The bands you listed are pretty much humbucker bands though there are some that play with single coils so HSS Strat would be the right guitar for you.

Can you give me the full name of the Mexican version ?

for the one above : I live in Israel, so the budget is pretty problematic to compare to an american store or something like that.. The standard strato cost about 550$ here... Which is exactly my budget (maybe a bit more)...

I've found this guitar which is like 15$ more then the normal Strato strandard guitar :
'Fender FSR Standard HSS Stratocaster'

Which looks like this :
http://images.guitarcenter.com/products/optionLarge/Fender/DV016_Jpg_Large_H64304.001_black.jpg

Is this the HSS you ment ?
amitm9s6
324 IQ
Also, from the bands I've gave above, you think the Epiphone Les Paul would fit better then a Fender Standard Stratocaster?

Thanks!
woad_yurt
959 IQ
Humbuckers sound thicker, single coils, thinner. For the bands you mentioned, a humbucker guitar would be better.
Offworld92
One among the fence.
7,563 IQ
Quote by amitm9s6

I've found this guitar which is like 15$ more then the normal Strato strandard guitar :
'Fender FSR Standard HSS Stratocaster'

Which looks like this :
http://images.guitarcenter.com/products/optionLarge/Fender/DV016_Jpg_Large_H64304.001_black.jpg

Is this the HSS you ment ?

Probably.

Can you link us to the store you're shopping from? Would make it a lot easier for us to see what you're dealing with.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
LP1951
346 IQ
HSS or HSH SuperStrat is what you need. Kramer FR 422s or 424s are great guitars at great prices. You can buy them on ebay or CL for $250 or less.
“You’re always learning about this thing every time you pick it up.” Keith Richards
MaggaraMarine
Slapping the bass.
3,411 IQ
Can you try the guitars in a store? That's the only way to tell which one of them is the best. Some people prefer Les Paul, others Stratocaster. It's your decision. At least IMO a pickup upgrade would do good to the sound of the Les Paul. The stock pickups aren't that great. Can't say anything about the Strat. But first try them and find out if you like them stock (I would try to buy a guitar that I don't need to mod). You might like the stock pickups of the Les Paul. I didn't think they were bad at all before I got my Charvel that had a lot better pickups.
Quote by AlanHB

Gear

Charvel So Cal
Ibanez Blazer
Yamaha FG720S-12
Tokai TB48
Laney VC30
Hartke HyDrive 210c
amitm9s6
324 IQ
Quote by Offworld92
Probably.

Can you link us to the store you're shopping from? Would make it a lot easier for us to see what you're dealing with.

Purchasing from a store that is in hebrew...
gregs1020
Hi mom!
10,786 IQ
kosher HSS strat.

no seriously, you need to try a few and see what feels best to you. like others have said i'd agree with the fact that you want a humbucker pick up in the bridge position.

meaning this configuration, if you prefer the strat feel.

it's your first guitar, and if you stick with it you will wind up with a few before too long.

having a strat, les paul and a tele style guitar at some point is always a good thing.
(or several of each and a few prs doesn't hurt either).
Quote by Roc8995
I don't think I've ever played anything in black walnut. It's a great ice cream flavor, so I assume it works well for a strat too.

Quote by JustRooster
The slugs in the pickups for telecasters are from old winchester rifles, which is why they sound so country.
dannyalcatraz
Black Cherry Jello
3,265 IQ
Quote by amitm9s6

I bet it's a good place to find a guitar for playing some Black Shabbat, Godschmuck, Schmotörhead...
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

alhaq369
It is very impotent to success a business.
Offworld92
One among the fence.
7,563 IQ
Quote by amitm9s6

I'm sure I can stumble my way through, with the help of Google Translate.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
amitm9s6
324 IQ
Quote by Offworld92
I'm sure I can stumble my way through, with the help of Google Translate.

The guitar selection isnt that big..

In my range of the money, those are ALL the possebilites :
- Epiphone Les Paul Standard
- Yamaha Pacifica PAC112V
- Ibanez ARZ300
- Epiphone Les Paul Custom
- Fender Standard Stratocaster
- Fender FSR Standard Stratocaster Electric Guitar
- Fender FSR Standard HSS Stratocaster
- Fender Standard Telecaster - Brown Sunburst

maybe (pretty low chance) Ill be able to get Fender FSR Standard HH Stratocaster

Also, I've tried the standard stratocaster & epiphone les paul standard for about 5 minutes each (didnt had time at the moment, just went there to change my strings), and I liked the stratocaster better then les paul, though I did not touch any of the pickups or anything, just played on the same pickup I got it on... though your saying Ill have a pretty problem with the distortion.. (played Kryptonite by 3 doors down on distortion, and had a pretty good distortion sound!)
Last edited by amitm9s6 at Jan 10, 2013,
Offworld92
One among the fence.
7,563 IQ
Personally I'd go for the Yamaha out of that list. I'm very fond of Yamaha, in my experience their products are far better than their price tags would lead you to believe.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Offworld92
One among the fence.
7,563 IQ
Most distortion pedals don't sound that good, until you're dropping at least $200 on them. That video doesn't tell us anything - He's playing through a Mesa Rectifier, and he's probably using a noise gate for the 60 cycle hum. Do you have those things? Because if not you're not going to get that sound.

It's a common misconception to think that the guitar really shapes your sound, but it has very little impact on it overall - it's more like the guitar determines the nuances of your sound. A Les Paul or a Strat through a Rectifier are both going to sound like someone playing through a Rectifier - just a slightly different sound between the two.

The most important job of the guitar is to feel good in your hands - if you really like the way the Strat felt when you played it, then go for it.

As has been mentioned here, we say get humbuckers because they are much quieter when you're using high gain if you don't have a noise gate. If you like single coils, there's nothing wrong with going SSS - just be aware that you may get a lot of hum and noise.

An HSS setup is a good choice because it gives you both: humbuckers and single coils in the same guitar.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
MaggaraMarine
Slapping the bass.
3,411 IQ
Quote by amitm9s6
Guys check this out :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IM3g8YtHN4U

Sound pretty good, no ?

By the way, I can allways go for a distortion pedal that will make the strat sound better, right ?

I don't think that sounded really metal. It was too twangy and harsh for metal riffing. The sound would suit other styles much better.

I don't think you will get rid of the Strat sound if you are playing on a Strat. It will always sound like a Strat, even if you play through a distortion pedal. So if you want that humbucker sound, get humbuckers. There's no point in buying a cool looking guitar that sounds like crap and trying to fix its sound by investing on pedals.

I would buy the HSS Strat because you seem to want a Strat and a humbucker sound.

What kind of amp do you have/are going to buy? (Strange that nobody had asked it before.)

BTW, FSR stands for Fender Special Run. I'm not sure what that means feature-wise (it might have a cool finish or something) but I'm pretty sure it's pretty close to the Standard Strat.
Quote by AlanHB

Gear

Charvel So Cal
Ibanez Blazer
Yamaha FG720S-12
Tokai TB48
Laney VC30
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Last edited by MaggaraMarine at Jan 11, 2013,
amitm9s6
324 IQ
Quote by MaggaraMarine
I don't think that sounded really metal. It was too twangy and harsh for metal riffing. The sound would suit other styles much better.

I don't think you will get rid of the Strat sound if you are playing on a Strat. It will always sound like a Strat, even if you play through a distortion pedal. So if you want that humbucker sound, get humbuckers. There's no point in buying a cool looking guitar that sounds like crap and trying to fix its sound by investing on pedals.

I would buy the HSS Strat because you seem to want a Strat and a humbucker sound.

What kind of amp do you have/are going to buy? (Strange that nobody had asked it before.)

BTW, FSR stands for Fender Special Run. I'm not sure what that means feature-wise (it might have a cool finish or something) but I'm pretty sure it's pretty close to the Standard Strat.

To be honest, I liked the sound of the strat more then the sound of the epiphone les paul...

and Ill probablly will get Fender Mustang 1