Page 1 of 402
gregs1020
Hi mom!
10,786 IQ
I don't think it's possible to really list every company that has made a version of the Les Paul.

Okay - maybe it's possible, but i'm not going to try to do it.

Gibson alone has made so many different versions of the guitar it's almost impossible to list every single model they've produced since 1952, let alone all of the versions made since by other companies.

So let's break it down into historical years and some basic changes.

I'll use Les Paul Standards for example, but Juniors and Customs were made over many of these years as well.

YEAR ONE - THE 1952 LP

1953 - bridge changed from '52.

1956 - bridge changed to the tune o matic

1957 brings us the humbuckers. This one was Duanne Allmans

1958 brings us the burst.
(Invalid img)

the 1959 brings a thinner neck than the previous models and slightly taller frets

the 1960 brings still a thinner neck.

and that was the end of the single cut maple top until 1968.

the 1961 Les Paul
(Invalid img)

between '61 and '68, during the hard rock "explosion" if anyone wanted the "old style" les paul with buckers they had to get a '57 - '60 which in part made them so desirable and growing demand eventually helped persuade gibson bring them back in '68.

so in a way, any les paul made after '60 was a "reissue".

But anyway in this thread we can, as a community, answer questions about different models, changes, pros, cons, values, favorites, etc.

This is not a "my guitar is better than your guitar" thread, what may be overpriced to you may not be to someone else. So let's just say some guitars may or may not be a better "value" and leave it at that.

This thread is not exclusive to Gibsons. Plenty of guitar manufacturers make Les Paul type guitars. Gibson, IMO, does a fine job of it. So do plenty of others, Tokai, Navigator, Burny, Orville, Epiphone, Agile, ESP/LTD, Edwards, on and on and on...

We can basically try to stay within the scope of single cut guitars (although Yamaha does a fine job at having two cutaways) with two humbuckers is close enough.

Questions about anything pertaining to the LP guitar is welcome, flaming or any other asinine behavior will be met with a backhand by a wet glove.

Let's help each other discover, learn, appreciate, and find good LP type guitars.

Maybe even spam a little.

At last count I've had 9 gibson LPs ranging from studios to custom shop built models, and 7 non-gibson LPs. (still have a couple of the non-gibsons, some of my gibsons are floating around this site and others).

we can get into the urgent matter of pickguard on or off, and the benefits of topwrapping at some point.
Quote by Roc8995
I don't think I've ever played anything in black walnut. It's a great ice cream flavor, so I assume it works well for a strat too.

Quote by JustRooster
The slugs in the pickups for telecasters are from old winchester rifles, which is why they sound so country.
Last edited by gregs1020 at Jan 8, 2013,
gregs1020
Hi mom!
10,786 IQ
While this post will be primarily about modern made Gibson Les Pauls..

There are two locations/plants making "Gibson Les Paul" guitars. They are Gibson USA and Gibson Custom Shop.

*Partially borrowed from a sticky over at MLP but modified to add in some additional information.
Gibson USA
Weight-relief started around 1982/1983. Every Gibson USA Les Paul between 1982 - 2007 is weight-relieved. They do not have solid-body construction. Weight-relief is also known as "swiss cheese holes" and refers to the nine holes drilled out of the body in order to reduce the weight of the guitar.

Chambering officially began for 2007 but the late 2006s are also chambered. Any Les Paul made after October 2006 maybe or likely is chambered. Every 2007 and newer Gibson USA Les Paul is chambered, except for the Les Paul Traditional. The Les Paul Traditional has swiss cheese holes up until the 2013 models which are now solid construction. Chambering is essentially hollowing out the body. Again, this is in order to reduce the weight of the guitar.

Gibson Custom Shop
Gibson's Custom Shop makes regular production guitars and historic reissues. The regular production guitars, such as the Les Paul Custom, are also weight-relieved. They do not have solid-bodies.

The historic reissues are solid. All historic reissues, be it Standards or Customs, are solid. The exception being the chambered reissues. Chambered reissues are often referred to as Cloud 9 guitars. They are identified by their serial number, which begins with CR. chambered-reissue.org

So,

A 2003 Les Paul Classic is weight-relieved
A 2008 '57 reissue is solid
A 1995 Les Paul Standard is weight-relieved
A 2009 Chambered '58 reissue is chambered
A 2008 Les Paul Studio is chambered
A 1987 Les Paul Custom is weight-relieved
etc.

If you put on your x-ray goggles, this is what a chambered Les Paul would look like:

This is what a weight-relieved Les Paul would look like:

The 2012 chambering looks like this.

Neck tenons

Some Les Pauls have long neck tenon, while others do not.

Short: Standards (before the 2008 "new" Standard), Customs, Studios Classics.
Long: Historic reissues, 2008 Standards.

Norlin
Gibson guitars made between 1968 - 1986.
Some common features of the Norlin era guitar are the larger headstocks, pancake type body construction and neck volute.

Norlin era headstocks are a bit wider like this one.

neck volutes, both large and small.

Pancake body example.

Historic Reissues
R2 = reissue of the 1952 Gibson Les Paul
R9 = reissue of the 1959 Gibson Les Paul
CR8 = chambered reissue of the '58 Gibson Les Paul
There is no R3 or R5.

Historic Customs are often referred to as B4, B7, R4BB or R7BB. BB meaning Black Beauty.

Gibson's VOS - Vintage Original Spec line. The terms VOS, historic, reissue & historic reissue all refer to the same guitar. There is only one difference, VOS refers to the aged finish on the top and hardware. The ones that do not have the VOS finish are referred to as "gloss" or "high gloss" reissues because (obviously) they have a high gloss finish. Websites like Guitar Center list the two guitars as VOS and "reissue." Reissue refers to the high gloss. I think this has caused some confusion with some people but rest assured, they are all the same guitar. Again, one looks brand new and the other does not look brand new - that's the only difference. VOS costs $300 less.

Historic Customs
Standards have mahogany bodies and maple tops. Historic Customs have mahogany bodies and mahogany tops (while modern/regular Customs have maple tops). The Custom will likely weight around a pound heavier but that's about it for differences.

1968 Reissue
Another reissue that never seems to be on gibson.com is the '68RI. These are the same as the B7s, only difference is they have maple tops, different pickups and Gibson USA electronics.

R8 vs. R9
This question gets asked a lot !!
They are the same guitar. All reissues are essentially the same guitar with minor differences. These differences are neck thicknesses, weight of each individual guitar & tops. R8 guitars are typically plain tops and R9s are typically flamed tops, but flamed top R8s do exist. The best way to get an understanding of the neck sizes is to actually play them. Me explaining that R8s have thicker necks than R9s and R7s have thicker necks than R8s doesn't mean jack unless you sit down with the guitar and see for yourself.

R9s list for $1,500 - $2,000 more than R8s. Why? The answer is because R9s have flame maple tops and the R9 should weigh less than the R8. That's it.
Here's a great pic taken from inside Gibson's Custom Shop
Quote by Roc8995
I don't think I've ever played anything in black walnut. It's a great ice cream flavor, so I assume it works well for a strat too.

Quote by JustRooster
The slugs in the pickups for telecasters are from old winchester rifles, which is why they sound so country.
Last edited by gregs1020 at Jan 10, 2013,
gregs1020
Hi mom!
10,786 IQ
oh we do love ebony les pauls.

fun fact - gibson never made a black guitar - only "ebony".

my burny FLG70 during the refin.

the finished product.

Quote by Roc8995

Quote by JustRooster
dannyalcatraz
Black Cherry Jello
3,265 IQ
OK...I have a question regarding an LP style guitar:

I have a Dean Special Select EVO- arched maple top (quilted tiger's eye finish) with a mahogany body- from about 2003. Everything about this guitar is good except the pickups, which, compared to my better guitars, are muddy. So I'm upgrading them in 2013.

I'm planning on a Bareknuckle Steve Stevens Rebel Yell in the bridge and their Mississippi Queen HB-sized P90 in the neck- fell in love with them listening to samples.

The question: will those pickups work well with that body & top wood combo?

(For the record: amp is a 40w Fender HRD Combo.)
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

alhaq369
It is very impotent to success a business.
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Jan 8, 2013,
HenryB
581 IQ
Les Paul Standard Faded (and my Les Paul Junior, too):

Close up of the Standard:
My Current Gear
Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded (Cherry Burst) || Gibson Les Paul Junior (Vintage Sunburst)
Marshall 1987X and 1960AX || Weber Mass 100
Fulltone OCD pedal || Ibanez TS-9 tube screamer || Big Muff Pi with Tone Wicker || Boss AC2
Tom 1.0
Hot For Teacher
6,308 IQ

Got to have a Gold Top on page one.
Quote by Lemoninfluence
I'm not familiar with police procedures.

1977 Burny FLG70
gregs1020
Hi mom!
10,786 IQ
^ hell yeah.
Quote by dannyalcatraz
I'm planning on a Bareknuckle Steve Stevens Rebel Yell in the bridge and their Mississippi Queen HB-sized P90 in the neck- fell in love with them listening to samples.

The question: will those pickups work well with that body & top wood combo?

(For the record: amp is a 40w Fender HRD Combo.)

the rebel yell works for steve stevens in his gibsons so i can't see why it wouldn't.

and a p-90 in the neck of a LP is a always a good match.

Quote by Roc8995

Quote by JustRooster
Tom 1.0
Hot For Teacher
6,308 IQ
Didn't work too great in mine.
Quote by Lemoninfluence

1977 Burny FLG70
JKHC
918 IQ
Slash fanboys....
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
randomguy2000
<3's ToppScore
903 IQ
Quote by JKHC
Slash fanboys....

this
(and sexy standard Henry)
Quote by kangaxxter
Tone is in the fingers.

What you really need is a new amp.

(Anything I missed?)

Quote by Robbgnarly
I have been hearing about MG amps lately. I have heard good about them, but only a few times have they been talked about here.

LP1951
346 IQ
Quote by JKHC
Slash fan...

And Page & Bloomfield & Clapton & Richards & Rhodes & almost every other guitar player who has played LPs in the past 60 years.
“You’re always learning about this thing every time you pick it up.” Keith Richards
Mephaphil
No empty frets.
1,956 IQ
Slash is awesome. I see no problem in being a fan of his.
Quote by Shredwizard445
Go ahead and spend your money, I don't care. It won't make you sound better.

Quote by Shredwizard445
Sure upgrading your gear will make you sound better.

dannyalcatraz
Black Cherry Jello
3,265 IQ
Without naming names, I'll just say that a LOT of great R&R of the past was played on LPs, and the future doesn't look all that different.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

alhaq369
gregs1020
Hi mom!
10,786 IQ
i'm probably more of a page fanboi, but i'm not a fan of cherry burst LPs.

just a preference thing, to each their own.

Quote by Tom 1.0
Didn't work too great in mine.

care to elaborate oh mister of so few words?
Quote by Roc8995

Quote by JustRooster
dannyalcatraz
Black Cherry Jello
3,265 IQ
Yeah!

Between Tom & Greg, I've gotten answers, but no wiser!

alhaq369
WholeLottaIzzy
UGs Only Rhythm Guitarist
6,023 IQ
My favourite thing in the whole world... My Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded in Honeyburst. Had someone offer me an R8 in exchange for my faded but I refused. I am never getting rid of that LP. I couldn't. It was also made on my bday too, which is a nice bonus.

And I have another very special Les Paul on the way. Gunna have to wait a while for that one though...

Sweet, didn't even notice the other faded up there! Don't see them too often on this site.
Last edited by WholeLottaIzzy at Jan 9, 2013,
Mephaphil
No empty frets.
1,956 IQ
It's messy cos I am a man! Arrrr!

Complete with left hand truss rod cover!!!

Nice guitars guys!
Quote by Shredwizard445

Quote by Shredwizard445

Last edited by Mephaphil at Jan 8, 2013,
JKHC
918 IQ
Anyway, I guess it'll please you LP lovers to know that PRS seems to be re-introducing the SC 245:
http://www.prsguitars.com/sc245/

And the links to the SC 58 and Stripped 58 have been removed under the current production models.

If this is old news, I'll go and cry in my corner
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
Last edited by JKHC at Jan 8, 2013,
Tom 1.0
Hot For Teacher
6,308 IQ
Quote by WholeLottaIzzy
Reserved

Muddy, too much low end, loss of that nice mid range definition and just generally bleh. The 57s were a better all round rock and roll pickup. When we AB'd two the standard set were by far the nicer pickups.

Oh and nice LANEY up there, glad you listened to me?
Quote by Lemoninfluence

1977 Burny FLG70
Mephaphil
No empty frets.
1,956 IQ
Ya man its pretty cool.

The clean isn't as good as the Fender (haven't heard one as good yet anywhere though, I really lucked out with the Super 60), but the overdrive is a lot better, very Marshall and from the ones I played recently to compare they are more like the old DSLs than the new ones are!

I may well get an ABY switch at some point to use them both at the same time. I did send you a PM when I got it .

Thanks again.
Quote by Shredwizard445

Quote by Shredwizard445

Last edited by Mephaphil at Jan 8, 2013,
gregs1020
Hi mom!
10,786 IQ
ok i updated the OP with some decent pics and info.

here's the one i never should have let get away.

2003 Les Paul Standard.

Quote by Roc8995

Quote by JustRooster
Mephaphil
No empty frets.
1,956 IQ
Shit man. That is nice. I nearly chose that colour on the Traditional over mine but I had just got rid of the Studio Faded in that colour so I think it would have just felt like a betrayal or something.
Quote by Shredwizard445

Quote by Shredwizard445

dannyalcatraz
Black Cherry Jello
3,265 IQ
Quote by Tom 1.0
Originally Posted by WholeLottaIzzy
Reserved

Muddy, too much low end, loss of that nice mid range definition and just generally bleh. The 57s were a better all round rock and roll pickup. When we AB'd two the standard set were by far the nicer pickups.

Um...was that actually regarding the Rebel Yells? It was a tad unclear, given what you quoted.

alhaq369
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Jan 8, 2013,
gregs1020
Hi mom!
10,786 IQ
Quote by Mephaphil
Shit man. That is nice. I nearly chose that colour on the Traditional over mine but I had just got rid of the Studio Faded in that colour so I think it would have just felt like a betrayal or something.

yeah i have a soft spot for wine red.

the late 1999 and early 2000 standards came with some stupidly good looking tops in my opinion.

oh well, i was on a quest for a custom shop 1960 reissue and i got one. after a while, i decided to move on to something else and sold it to a guy that sold it to mmoltertx. he now has my old 1960 RI prototype.

i have two MIJ les pauls now, a 1979 Tokai Les Paul Reborn and a 1977 Burny FLG70 that i had refinished in ebony.

i'm very happy with the MIJ guitars but i'm sure if i find the right early 2000s gibson i'll find a way to pull the trigger again.

here's the tokai before i swapped out the pups and saddles.
Quote by Roc8995

Quote by JustRooster
Last edited by gregs1020 at Jan 8, 2013,
Tom 1.0
Hot For Teacher
6,308 IQ
Quote by dannyalcatraz
Um...was that actually regarding the Rebel Yells? It was a tad unclear, given what you quoted.

Yes sorry. Poxy iPhone.
Quote by Lemoninfluence

1977 Burny FLG70
SteveHOC
Used Register
1,051 IQ

Such a lovely instrument.
...and such a crappy photo of it. Apologies for that.
dannyalcatraz
Black Cherry Jello
3,265 IQ
Quote by Tom 1.0
Yes sorry. Poxy iPhone.

No problemo- It happens to us all.

Thanks for the input. Perhaps I'll shoot Bsreknuckle s direct question, framed by your experiences.

alhaq369
Quintex
Still Learning
140 IQ

Gibson Les Paul 1960 Traditional Zebra (Satin Finish Goldtop). Model LPTDSZGTCH3

Epiphone Les Paul Custom Silverburst. Apparently "Limited Edition" but they have been on sale forever.
If I miss one day of practice, I notice it.
If I miss two days, the critics notice it.
If I miss three days, the audience notices it.

Ingacy Jan Paderewski (1860 - 1941)
SteveHOC
Used Register
1,051 IQ
I love that Silverburst finish. Almost snagged an RD in that finish, those are gone, now I'm looking at a Silverbust Firebird.
TNfootballfan62
Mr. Blue
1,943 IQ
You missed an important Les Paul.

Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
gregs1020
Hi mom!
10,786 IQ
Quote by TNfootballfan62
You missed an important Les Paul.

nope, got it in the op.

the '61 is as much a part of the legacy as any of them.
Quote by Roc8995

Quote by JustRooster
JustRooster
Internet Bully
7,164 IQ
I want a gold top with the soapbars so bad.

Quote by EyeNon15
Thats too bad, I was under the impression I was arguing something profound

gregs1020
Hi mom!
10,786 IQ
Quote by JustRooster
http://appleton.craigslist.org/msg/3512271808.html

What do you guys think about the 60's tributes?

i like them a lot. i had one but kept trading up.

the stock pups were a lot better than i expected honestly.

i think he's high at $700 though. I think the ones that are left in stores are like $599? i could be wrong about that but i'm almost certain you can score a new one for about that.

call my buddy Eli at 847-253-3151. make sure you ask for Eli please. see what he says.
Quote by Roc8995

Quote by JustRooster