Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old Today, 12:12 PM   #1
HarleyDC

Question Are my pickups acting normal?

First of all I believe they are EMG 81/89's. They sound held back in a very noticeable volume and distortion kind of way compared to my uncle's carvin guitar on the same amp with the same settings and chord. I pulled the jack out and looked at the connection and soldering along with the soldering of the pots and switch. Everything looked nice and tight. Now I'm not sure if its normal but my neck volume knob controls the volume to my rhythm position of the switch I believe and ALSO the middle position of the switch but yet the lead part of the switch is controlled by ONLY the bridge volume knob. Why does the neck volume control 2 switch positions but yet the bridge is only controlled by one switch position? And it does have the push/pull knobs for "coil-tapping" or whatever you want to call it. It's in a Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR btw.
HarleyDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:08 PM   #2
oneblackened
Futile Bread Machine

Okay, time for some knowledge.
Quote:
First of all I believe they are EMG 81/89's. They sound held back in a very noticeable volume and distortion kind of way compared to my uncle's carvin guitar on the same amp with the same settings and chord.
Yeah, that's the EMG sound honestly. Very contained. Did you try swapping the battery for a new one?
Quote:
Now I'm not sure if its normal but my neck volume knob controls the volume to my rhythm position of the switch I believe and ALSO the middle position of the switch but yet the lead part of the switch is controlled by ONLY the bridge volume knob. Why does the neck volume control 2 switch positions but yet the bridge is only controlled by one switch position?

The way these guitars (and almost all guitars with 2 volume controls and a 3 way switch) are wired, turning 1 volume control down (either one) will mute the output in the middle position, because a path to ground is created.
Quote:
And it does have the push/pull knobs for "coil-tapping" or whatever you want to call it. It's in a Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR btw.
Pull on the knobs. Do they pop up? If yes, yes. If no, no. You won't hurt anything.
ESP Horizon NT-7 (SD Full Shreds)
UA Apollo Twin Duo
Peavey Revalver 4

I'm a recording engineer. If you have questions or you want some work done, message me.
oneblackened is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: