Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 02-05-2016, 08:45 PM   #1
cowboy_jones

help me w/my warmoth jazzmaster

I ordered a warmoth body yesterday along with the electronics/hardware I need and all I need to do is order a neck. I bought a squier vintage modified jm tremolo/bridge so do I need a neck with the same radius? I'm looking at Warmoth necks and all the in-stock ones are 10-16" compound but the squiers are 9.5". Should I get one of those or should I just make a custom one with a 9.5" radius? Is there anything else I should do while building it? I've never made a guitar before or even seen anyone do it but I think all I really need to do is solder the pickups and drill the holes for the pickguard/bridge/tremolo and the tuners.

Thanks for any help!
cowboy_jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 09:40 PM   #2
monwobobbo

ok the first ? i have is why did you cheap out on your bridge like that? as far as i know the bridge will work regardless of radius it just a matter of saddle height adjustment to fit the radius.
monwobobbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 09:41 PM   #3
ThunderPunk

Get a different bridge. That Squier JM bridge is usually the first thing to get replaced on those instruments.
Gear: Gibson Les Paul Studio, Gibson SG Special, Fender Stratocaster, Fender Telecaster, Fender Jazzmaster HH, Gretsch Pro Jet, Carvin C350. Peavey 6505, Sovtek MIG-100, Vox AC30cch, Peavey Classic 50 212.
ThunderPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 09:54 PM   #4
cowboy_jones

I got it cus it was the cheapest one that came with a tremolo and bridge. Will the tremolo be fine or should I get a different one too?
Old 02-05-2016, 10:07 PM   #5
cowboy_jones

????

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mustang-Bri...AAOSwL7VWmpb I

not sure if i should get something like this or a fender bridge
Old 02-05-2016, 11:21 PM   #6
monwobobbo

well the rest of your guitar will be made of qualtity parts so i'm confused as to why you decided to cheap out on your trem/bridge. not very knowledgeable on jazzmasters but i'm sure you can find better qualty parts than a squier. perhaps some one that knows more will chime in.
monwobobbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 11:55 PM   #7
cowboy_jones

thats kinda what i was thinking but i figured a squier bridge/trem wouldnt be the best thing but it wouldnt be the worst

I got it on ebay and I'm trying to cancel the order, if it goes through I'll get fender gear. As for pickups I can't decide between fenders and lollars if anyone knows how they compare to each other? I know the lollars are better but they're a little over double the price of the Fender pickups
Old 02-06-2016, 02:28 PM   #8
ThunderPunk

The bridge on a Jazzmaster is probably the most temperamental bridge in existence haha. Cheaping out on that is a recipe for disaster. If this is a guitar that you intend to keep for a very long time and use it as a work horse.. save your coin and get a mastery bridge.

As far as pickups go... are you planning on popping in Jazzmaster pickups or are you looking for P-90 pickups? What genre(s) of music do you play? What amp do you primarily use? Fill us in on the additional factors and we can better help you pick out a good set of pickups.
Gear: Gibson Les Paul Studio, Gibson SG Special, Fender Stratocaster, Fender Telecaster, Fender Jazzmaster HH, Gretsch Pro Jet, Carvin C350. Peavey 6505, Sovtek MIG-100, Vox AC30cch, Peavey Classic 50 212.
Old 02-06-2016, 02:37 PM   #9
cowboy_jones

I went with the lollar jazzmaster style. I've had P90s before and they weren't really my thing. I play shoegaze/dream pop mostly so I'll be using a lot of effects anyway but I like the clean JM style sounds better than the P90s.

So I should get a Fender bridge then haha but what about the tremolo? I thought the only difference would be that the Squier trem doesn't have the locking system?
Old 02-06-2016, 02:59 PM   #10
ThunderPunk

Lollars should work nice for you then. Good choice.

You'll want to invest in a higher quality bridge and trem system. The Fender brand replacement parts are fine, but there are even better options if this is going to be your primary instrument. If you cheap out on the bridge/trem on a Jazzmaster, you'll be dealing with tuning issues, lack of sustain/dullness, and cheaper quality materials/metals that will wear out more quickly.
Old 02-06-2016, 03:17 PM   #11
cowboy_jones

Thanks I really didn't think it'd matter. I found a few that seem like they'd be better. Some of these seem pretty overpriced, especially the few lefties I've found. Are there any sites other than reverb and ebay that might have them?
Old 02-06-2016, 04:24 PM   #12
dannyalcatraz
Black Cherry Jello

I remember posting 2 links about lefty bridges in your earlier threads- possibly the first one- in your ongoing saga. Check there.

Found it:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyalcatraz

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Last edited by dannyalcatraz : 02-06-2016 at 04:28 PM.
dannyalcatraz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 04:35 PM   #13
cowboy_jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyalcatraz
I remember posting 2 links about lefty bridges in your earlier threads- possibly the first one- in your ongoing saga. Check there.

Found it:

Thanks man I totally forgot about those!
Old 02-06-2016, 04:38 PM   #14
cowboy_jones

the body wont get here for a few months anyway so I guess I still have time to sort out everything else
Old 02-06-2016, 11:43 PM   #15
Zhaezzy

http://www.rosepickups.com/apps/web...ts/show/3862797
they make Jazzmaster pickups. Reasonable too. Jazzmaster pickups are quite a different animal then a P-90 more of a scooped growl to them than the midrange brash sound of a P-90. Both have their place. do you need a Jazzmaster style trem if not you might be better off with a Wilkenson or strat trem.

https://soundcloud.com/dresden-conspiracy
Zhaezzy is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: