User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 05-23-2016, 06:46 AM   #1
tcrono
Tab Contributor

Twisted Neck

Hello,

I bought this barely played 2 year old guitar: the VGS Stage One Pro with Evertune. Now the Evertune needs some getting used to, but thatís not a problem for me.

I picked up the guitar from the previous owner with some 10-52 Ernie Ball strings on it and tuned in D-standard. Since I already once had that setup myself for a short while I didnít bother and just put on my Standard 10-46 DíAddarios and tuned it to Eb-standard. When trying to set it up I noticed some odd buzzing. And when looking down on the neck towards the body I noticed that it is twisted counter-clockwise. My theory is that this happened due to the former owner putting these heavy bottom strings on the guitar and leaving it in the corner for about 2 years. I also think so because it was set up terribly with high action and out of tune when I got it.

Right now the fretboard basically has 2 Zones. First the wound strings on the low frets together with the unwound strings from the 12th fret upwards which buzz when picked hard. And then the wound strings on higher frets together with the unwound strings on lower frets which now have pretty high action.

I have read about possible ways to twist the neck back, but also about it being impossible and cheaper to get a new neck sometimes. Also I don't mind the twist (feels comfortable for rhythm playing), but having to compromise the action is inacceptable.

Do you think itís worth trying to fix the neck or should I get in contact with the former owner and try to return it? Thanks in advance.

tldr: Neck is twisted. Try to fix or return?

Last edited by tcrono : 05-23-2016 at 06:50 AM.
tcrono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 08:01 AM   #2
JackovSlayer
Registered Abuser

Its not very strange for neck to twist in those conditions. But im not sure if i totally understood your post. Could you post some photos?
JackovSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 08:37 AM   #3
NHRoccodog
A Really Good Guitarist

Wood is a bitch man. Guitars still think they're trees and they still have sap in them and they will constantly move. Except for old guitars, since the wood has dried out. But that's not your issue. I would take it to a local guitar shop and have them look at it. If they say it's unfixable, demand a refund and return the guitar. The guitar should have been set up anyways. He knew it was in bad condition. Could you post some photos too?

Last edited by NHRoccodog : 05-23-2016 at 08:38 AM.
NHRoccodog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 08:57 AM   #4
dspellman

If the neck is truly twisted, I'd return the guitar. It's not worth the time and effort to attempt a twisted neck fix at that level of guitar. But I'd have a really good tech look at it first and confirm your fears.

If you're not in love with the Evertune bridge, add that to the factors pushing you toward returning the guitar.

Last edited by dspellman : 05-23-2016 at 09:02 AM.
dspellman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 09:37 AM   #5
tcrono
Tab Contributor

Thank you for the replies so far. I'll be taking pictures in 4 to 5 hours when I'm home again.

Also funny thing is that my local guitar shop got exactly that guitar for more than twice the price. After trying I told them I was interested in it too. I hope he doesn't hate me for getting it somewhere else and will give me a honest opinion haha.
Old 05-23-2016, 02:18 PM   #6
tcrono
Tab Contributor

Here are the photos that I promised. Btw it seemed like the fretboard got a bit dry and the frets were sticking out a tiny bit. Now that it has rained today and the humidity is high again it seems that things got a bit better. I'll probably try to loosen the rod a bit. If I can't fix this until Saturday I'll bring it back.

[view from headstock high]

[view from headstock low]

[view from body high]

[view from body low]
Old 05-24-2016, 02:41 PM   #7
tcrono
Tab Contributor

Any opinions on the pictures? Please, I really don't want to send it back if this is probably fixable...
Old 05-24-2016, 03:19 PM   #8
T00DEEPBLUE
Boba FRETT

An easier and more accurate way to tell if a neck is twisted is to simply measure the neck relief (like you would if you were adjusting the truss rod) on the bass side of the neck with a feeler gauge and compare that amount of gap to the treble side. It's not going to be incredibly accurate as fret wear might affect the amount of gap ever so slightly, but it's accurate enough that any significant twist will become obvious and you'll be able to put a number to how badly twisted the neck is, if at all.

Looking down a neck isn't always a good way to tell because the way the nut slots are typically cut creates an illusion that the neck is twisted.
Please understand how little we as a community care

Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE : 05-24-2016 at 03:25 PM.
T00DEEPBLUE is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: