Page 2 of 412
Yeah, I've seen quite a few of these new at the $600 price point. It's always nice to see people aiming high though
You're saying there are Gibson USA gold top Les Pauls with p90s, new, for $600? Where have those been all my life? Time to go down to GC.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
I have an absolutely huge GAS for a Gibson Classic Custom. Such nice guitars for such little money.
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
Quote by TNfootballfan62
You're saying there are Gibson USA gold top Les Pauls with p90s, new, for $600? Where have those been all my life? Time to go down to GC.

Sam ash price dropped them I believe, not too sure about gc.

311 - thanks!
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
I have an absolutely huge GAS for a Gibson Classic Custom. Such nice guitars for such little money.

Those price dropped too. Gc had them for $1200, sam ash had them for $1400. They still may im not sure.
Quote by gregs1020
Those price dropped too. Gc had them for $1200, sam ash had them for $1400. They still may im not sure.

Why the hell did i buy a Gibson V 8 months before the prices dropped to nothing?
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
Quote by gregs1020
Sam ash price dropped them I believe, not too sure about gc.

311 - thanks!

I called my guitar center, and they didn't have any in. They had an ebony one in their used database that they wanted $649 for.

Too bad there's no Sam Ash really local for me to try one out.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
Looks like the Sam Ash website lists the 50s and 60s tributes at $999, or $1,149 for the gold top.

Quote by ibz_bucket

Quote by tubetime86
Quote by WholeLottaIzzy

That guitar :O

Those boobs
My Current Gear
Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded (Cherry Burst) || Gibson Les Paul Junior (Vintage Sunburst)
Marshall 1987X and 1960AX || Weber Mass 100
Fulltone OCD pedal || Ibanez TS-9 tube screamer || Big Muff Pi with Tone Wicker || Boss AC2
Quote by TNfootballfan62
Looks like the Sam Ash website lists the 50s and 60s tributes at $999, or $1,149 for the gold top.

they were $849 at their most expensive point.

wtf are you looking at?

do i need to buy one and send it to you? because if i do, there will be a fee.

lemme text my bud.

see this is the important thing everybody misses. there's this thing called MAP. MAP is the lowest price that a retailer can advertise a given product at. so when you look online, you will only see MAP.

when you call the store like i tell you to then you talk to someone who can read the tag on the guitar. that tag, doesn't have to say MAP. because it's not an advertisement, it's a price tag. the retailer can drop the price to whatever they want in the store, they just can't advertise it because that would violate their agreement with the mfg.

so when i say call the store, call the ****ing store!!

even if you buy over the phone with the guy in the store, you still have 30 days to return it for full price if you don't like it.

i swear, ****ing engineers...
Last edited by gregs1020 at Jan 9, 2013,
Quote by gregs1020

when you call the store like i tell you to then you talk to someone who can read the tag on the guitar. that tag, doesn't have to say MAP. because it's not an advertisement, it's a price tag. the retailer can drop the price to whatever they want in the store, they just can't advertise it because that would violate their agreement with the mfg.

Correct! Always talk to somebody.
kyle my guy just texted me back.

they're $679.

Quote by Darkflame
Quickie: the new chambered are fully solid =)
LPs for the win!

chambereds are solid?

are you drinking?
Quote by gregs1020
they were $849 at their most expensive point.

wtf are you looking at?

do i need to buy one and send it to you? because if i do, there will be a fee.

lemme text my bud.

see this is the important thing everybody misses. there's this thing called MAP. MAP is the lowest price that a retailer can advertise a given product at. so when you look online, you will only see MAP.

even if you buy over the phone with the guy in the store, you still have 30 days to return it for full price if you don't like it.

i swear, ****ing engineers...

Christ, man, when I get ready to buy one, I promise I'll call your boyfriend. I was just looking around online.

I was looking at these:

http://www.samash.com/p/Gibson__2099937

http://www.samash.com/p/Gibson__2099957

Please correct me if those are wrong.

Quote by ibz_bucket

Quote by tubetime86
^ darkflame i do believe that the 2013 traditionals will in fact be solid. the traditionals up until 2013 were weight relieved just like every LP made from 1982-2012 with the exception of the historics.
Quote by TNfootballfan62
Christ, man, when I get ready to buy one, I promise I'll call your boyfriend. I was just looking around online.

I was looking at these:

http://www.samash.com/p/Gibson__2099937

http://www.samash.com/p/Gibson__2099957

Please correct me if those are wrong.

those are new models that are just coming out. while they don't have the specs listed yet, because they are new models, i'm guessing they have the full gloss finish and are the full body thickness of a usual "studio".

it's the usual same name different guitar thing that gibson is infamous for.

i'm sorry if i came across as condescending, most of my post wasn't really directed at you as much as a get it off my chest rant. because it's just aggravating as hell when you constantly tell people to call a store and speak with someone and they reply with, "look the online ad says this".

yeah no derp the ad says that, that's why i said call the store and not check out the ad online.
Quote by gregs1020
^ darkflame i do believe that the 2013 traditionals will in fact be solid. the traditionals up until 2013 were weight relieved just like every LP made from 1982-2012 with the exception of the historics.

those are new models that are just coming out. while they don't have the specs listed yet, because they are new models, i'm guessing they have the full gloss finish and are the full body thickness of a usual "studio".

it's the usual same name different guitar thing that gibson is infamous for.

i'm sorry if i came across as condescending, most of my post wasn't really directed at you as much as a get it off my chest rant. because it's just aggravating as hell when you constantly tell people to call a store and speak with someone and they reply with, "look the online ad says this".

yeah no derp the ad says that, that's why i said call the store and not check out the ad online.

You know I'm just busting your balls.

I know exactly what you mean, and when I'm actually seriously guitar shopping, you're extremely helpful, and I always call the guys you tell me to call.

Quote by ibz_bucket

Quote by tubetime86
i know you are.

but seriously, buy now, while supplies last!
So the standard 60s tributes that are 649, those are low gloss and thinner bodies? That seemed to be the implication up above.

Quote by ibz_bucket

Quote by tubetime86
Quote by TNfootballfan62

Those are the new ones,SA blew out the old 1's and are more than likely gone. I just sold my ebony 60's for $650 w/HC. I know some people wanna crack on dude but now you have to go find them I did get in on the SA blow out,had Music 123 price match and got it for $506 and they are selling for $600-$750 on the bay and $900 @ MF so if you can still find the blowouts jump on them.
16' Gibson SG Std.
15' Ibanez JEM Jr.
OD9 Pro+>CM-2>BC-2>Wylde Phase>Gravy>Flashback
Marshall JCM800>V212(Vet.30/ET-65)
Ibanez TSA15H>1x12 (G12n-65)
Randall RVC5>1x12 (G12n-65)
Last edited by twisty571 at Jan 10, 2013,
Man, I'd really love to have one, but I can't justify that purchase at least for a couple of months.

It's not like I need it anyway.

Quote by ibz_bucket

Quote by tubetime86
the older 60s tribute studios have a satin finish and slightly thinner bodies, yes. not much thinner, maybe a 1/8-1/4 of an inch. those are price dropped to $679. but they ran specials during the holidays and were less for a while like twisty posted. the store by me still has some.

i'm speculating that the new $999 will be gloss with full body thickness like most typical studios. the gibby site prolly has the new specs, but the ad you posted didn't.
Last edited by gregs1020 at Jan 10, 2013,
Gibson has way too many models and changes them way too much. It's confusing.

Quote by ibz_bucket

Quote by tubetime86
As far as I know they are still Satin and truthfully weren't any thinner than any other studio model? I had a faded studio also. The only thing I think they changed is the baked maple fretboard to rosewood and put humbuckers in the new 60's.
16' Gibson SG Std.
15' Ibanez JEM Jr.
OD9 Pro+>CM-2>BC-2>Wylde Phase>Gravy>Flashback
Marshall JCM800>V212(Vet.30/ET-65)
Ibanez TSA15H>1x12 (G12n-65)
Randall RVC5>1x12 (G12n-65)
Still technically a Gibson Les Paul, 1961 Gibson Les Paul Custom :

And she's all mine
Caution:
This post may contain my opinion and/or inaccurate information.

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
TC Electronics Corona & Hall of Fame
Last edited by AWACS at Jan 10, 2013,
Just ordered my dream guitar. Yes, it's a Les Paul. But I'm not telling you which one. You guys are gunna cream yourselves when you see it. I've got a raging hard on just thinking about it...
^^ nice custom!

^ looking forward to it izzy - not a supreme by chance?

Quote by twisty571
As far as I know they are still Satin and truthfully weren't any thinner than any other studio model? I had a faded studio also. The only thing I think they changed is the baked maple fretboard to rosewood and put humbuckers in the new 60's.

the 60's tribute models were a little thinner. i compared the one i had to my standard at the time.

this version is the one i'm talking about.
I bet it's a 68ri.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Anyone use Schaller strap locks? I installed mine a couple of weeks ago and they took some paint off the rear when I screwed it in.

It's isolated to a small circle around the screw hole and it's complete hidden by the strap holder but it's very annoying.

People seem to have taken them off after a few years and noticed the damage. Mainly on LPs because Fenders have them little foamy washer things.

I read on mylespaul that they came to the conclusion that people should put similar things on their LPs when putting the strap locks on now.

I'm annoyed, but it's okay because it's hidden. And my LP is the one that I really want to keep perfect because it was a one in a lifetime purchase and really isn't the workhorse that my Strat is. I wouldn't bring it to a gig or a practice really, I'd bring my Strat or Tele. Also, it's not a proper knock with a story, it's just shitty design from Schaller.
Quote by Shredwizard445
Go ahead and spend your money, I don't care. It won't make you sound better.

Quote by Shredwizard445
Sure upgrading your gear will make you sound better.

Last edited by Mephaphil at Jan 10, 2013,
Quote by Mephaphil
Anyone use Schaller strap locks? I installed mine a couple of weeks ago and they took some paint off the rear when I screwed it in.

It's isolated to a small circle around the screw hole and it's complete hidden by the strap holder but it's very annoying.

People seem to have taken them off after a few years and noticed the damage. Mainly on LPs because Fenders have them little foamy washer things.

I read on mylespaul that they came to the conclusion that people should put similar things on their LPs when putting the strap locks on now.

I'm annoyed, but it's okay because it's hidden. And my LP is the one that I really want to keep perfect because it was a one in a lifetime purchase and really isn't the workhorse that my Strat is. I wouldn't bring it to a gig or a practice really, I'd bring my Strat or Tele. Also, it's not a proper knock with a story, it's just shitty design from Schaller.

I used to use Schaller but I switched to Dunlop because
1- I don't trust the Schaller ones, I'm always scared of it loosening
2- The Schaller price inflated a lot recently around here, they used to be sold for 12 bucks a few years ago and now they're over 20 bucks, whereas the Dunlop are around 10 bucks.

I still have schallers on two of my LPs (the tribute 60s and the Ibanez lawsuit)
But yeah, that really sucks man =( Never noticed any of my guitars suffering from the screws though
tom - i'm with you on the 68RI guess. or he found a R7 since he doesn't have a goldie yet.
Quote by Darkflame
you got rid of your '60 Greg? I was all happy knowing I had the same guitar you did =(

don't worry the law of averages says that will happen again.

in my flurry of buying and selling lesters i went through quite a bunch.

i may grab another of the 60's tribs in ebony at some point, just to have a P-90 guitar.

Quote by Mephaphil

i'm guessing you went too tight with it. I tighten them until they are snug, then back them out a little until the peg spins slightly. a lot of folks put a little felt pad in there like PRS guitars come with.

i think the dunlops rattle a bit, which i found annoying as hell.
I have to get another Lester one day.

Maybe when I get another stable full time job. Maybe nab a R9 or R0.

A proper one to last me forever.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Well, it's not a big deal. It's hidden so I can forget about it. In fact I think that I used the shorter of the screws you get with it and it just spun on the finish, but the one on the top didn't do that.

What do you mean about them coming loose? It seems quite tight to me. They do rattle a bit but that's unavoidable.
Quote by Shredwizard445

Quote by Shredwizard445

I have a question about what Greg said in the OP

R8 vs. R9
This question gets asked a lot !!
They are the same guitar. All reissues are essentially the same guitar with minor differences. These differences are neck thicknesses, pickups, weight of each individual guitar, finishes & tops.

So basically, you're saying the R8 and R9 are the same guitar, except for the neck thickness, the pickups, the weight, the finish and the top.
Can you really say it's the same guitar when all that's left is the tuning pegs and the bridge..?

Quote by Mephaphil
Well, it's not a big deal. It's hidden so I can forget about it. In fact I think that I used the shorter of the screws you get with it and it just spun on the finish, but the one on the top didn't do that.

What do you mean about them coming loose? It seems quite tight to me. They do rattle a bit but that's unavoidable.

By coming loose, I mean the bolt loosening with time, just like the screws do in the wood. I mean, the strap is forcing against it, so my guess is that eventually it will loosen up a bit, right..?
Also, most of the straps I have are too thick to actually fit between the lock and the washer, and I cannot bolt them in, which is annoying as hell. so I end up putting the strap on the screw and the lock over it. It works, but it's annoying and looks bad.
Last edited by Darkflame at Jan 10, 2013,
Quote by Mephaphil

the dunlops rattle if i'm remembering correctly. the shallers didn't.

i have shallers on all my guitars, never had a problem with them loosening. the nut on the part that goes on the strap can loosen over time, i use a dab of locktight on them when i install them.
Quote by Darkflame
I have a question about what Greg said in the OP

So basically, you're saying the R8 and R9 are the same guitar, except for the neck thickness, the pickups, the weight, the finish and the top.
Can you really say it's the same guitar when all that's left is the tuning pegs and the bridge..?

i'll check the op, i borrowed part of it (and admitted to doing so) from another LP site.

the only differences i'm aware of on an R8-R9 is the flamed top on the R9 (though flamed top R8 guitars exist) and the neck thickness (although they all vary a bit anyway).

i believe the pups are BB1&BB2 typically in both, and both use the same tuners. the finishes and bridge are the same, though both finish and bridges of those have varied over the years of production for the R8 & R9s.
That's clearer, thanks :-)

Speaking of the tuners, is it just me or are these kluson type tuners on Gibbies absolute crap? Everytime I play on my Trad, it feels like the strings are ALWAYS moving around. They change while I play, and one second the chord sounds good, the other it sounds bad.
Though I probably should change the factory strings, but the same thing happens (although to a bit of a lesser extent) on my tribute 60.
My schallers definitely rattle. It's the actual bit on the strap as opposed to the bit on the guitar.

It's not a big deal, I think it's normal. When they slot into together and move there's a bit of rattle. I think that if I were to take it anywhere I'd tighten it a bit.
Quote by Shredwizard445

Quote by Shredwizard445

Thomas - no problem, i edited the original posted info as i'm fairly certain that the pups in both are the BB1&BB2. at least they were in the ones at the store when i worked there, and they were new completely stock guitars.

the tuners on my 2010 R0 were fine but a lot of people beef about them. i suspect the tuning issue may be due to the nut not being filed to your liking. gibson doesn't file the nuts to players specs and every new gibson i've had needed some attention at the nut.

my tokai has a new nut and i still have to file the low E slot a little even though that was part of the set up i paid for at the shop. every time i go from D to E and play a bit on that string it binds etc. i just need to work a string through there a bit next time i restring so it's got ample room, then hit it with some graphite.

phil - mine are snug, but i use thick straps. maybe your strap is pretty thin there? the dunlops were all loose on the outer side of the strap once locked in place and it bugged the crap out of me.
Last edited by gregs1020 at Jan 10, 2013,