Page 3 of 412
Quote by Tom 1.0
I have to get another Lester one day.

Maybe when I get another stable full time job. Maybe nab a R9 or R0.

A proper one to last me forever.

i spit coffee when i read that last line.

you have to prove you can keep something longer than the attention span of a gnat before i'm believing you.

I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Greg - yea maybe. I think it's perfectly safe and secure though.

Here's a question. If I wanted to sell this LP in say 10 years, would that small circular blemish on the finish affect the resale? Do they come out of the factory with that kind of issue? I've seen it on Epiphones and other cheaper mass produced guitars.

Should I get it fixed or as it's not noticeable leave it? I would declare it but I can't see it being an issue.

Is it possible to get just that small area fixed and would it be perfect?

Tom - you still got that awesome Carvin?
Quote by Shredwizard445
Go ahead and spend your money, I don't care. It won't make you sound better.

Quote by Shredwizard445
Sure upgrading your gear will make you sound better.

Last edited by Mephaphil at Jan 10, 2013,
No mate.

Got rid of that quicker than it took Carvin to mate it. 7s just aren't for me.

Great guitar though.

Quote by gregs1020
i spit coffee when i read that last line.

you have to prove you can keep something longer than the attention span of a gnat before i'm believing you.

still got my Suhr... And it's only guitars I have this problem with. Been the luckiest guy in the world for the past 6 and a half years.

Though I have promised somebody a ring before I spend £3k on a guitar and I know I would prefer to buy the house and rings first!

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by Tom 1.0
No mate.

Got rid of that quicker than it took Carvin to mate it. 7s just aren't for me.

Great guitar though.

still got my Suhr... And it's only guitars I have this problem with. Been the luckiest guy in the world for the past 6 and a half years.

Though I have promised somebody a ring before I spend £3k on a guitar and I know I would prefer to buy the house and rings first!

Oh, it was a 7 string? I didn't realise. Was nice though.

There's a really nice Suhr at my local store. I haven't played it yet, but it's really cool.

You still work at the chain you worked at? I'm round your way next week, was gonna come have a look at your pedal selection .
Quote by Shredwizard445

Quote by Shredwizard445

Yeah.

No they fired me. I wouldn't bother. They have **** all apart from shit boss ones.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Fired? Shit...Sorry man.

Did you play Stairway? Smoke on the Water? Some other forbidden riff? Did you tell someone not to buy a Spider?

I can't find a RMC wah anywhere in this silly country. I was hoping maybe they had one there.
Quote by Shredwizard445

Quote by Shredwizard445

No. Some **** customer made life incredible difficult for Me. I basicslly knocked £200 off the cost of his can and threw in free deliery to match the deal Thomann were doing. He then demanded to be allowed to pay via paypal which we did. He then wanted the cab delivered to his third floor flat after 6pm. The courier agreed to carry the 55kg Mesa cab up to his flat but it was before 6pm. He got pissed refussed to collect it himself demanding we do it. So as tbis happened on my day off i didnt know this was happening. So somebody else drove to London to collect it and deliver it to the prick.

This on too of our worst business week in months, a shit store review around the company in general The boss got pissed off and wanted to make an example of somebody. My mates shoved that under his nose. So the example wasMe.

It's a long story but basically I worked with a bunch of dicks I wasn't a big enough dick back and go ****ed.

I wouldn't bother. PMT don't bother with exotica. Not enough margin in it.

Same reason the boss won't allow the to stock ENGL, Diezel, JCA, Egnater, EVH, Suhr, EBMM and pretty much anything decent.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Last edited by Tom 1.0 at Jan 10, 2013,
That sucks Tom...
Quote by Pan-Tallica
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
But theres no reason why i cant be free like a raspberry stuck to the back of a horny elephants ass.

This is maybe the worst comparison in the history of comparisons.
Quote by Tom 1.0
No. Some **** customer made life incredible difficult for Me. I basicslly knocked £200 off the cost of his can and threw in free deliery to match the deal Thomann were doing. He then demanded to be allowed to pay via paypal which we did. He then wanted the cab delivered to his third floor flat after 6pm. The courier agreed to carry the 55kg Mesa cab up to his flat but it was before 6pm. He got pissed refussed to collect it himself demanding we do it. So as tbis happened on my day off i didnt know this was happening. So somebody else drove to London to collect it and deliver it to the prick.

This on too of our worst business week in months, a shit store review around the company in general The boss got pissed off and wanted to make an example of somebody. My mates shoved that under his nose. So the example wasMe.

It's a long story but basically I worked with a bunch of dicks I wasn't a big enough dick back and go ****ed.

I wouldn't bother. PMT don't bother with exotica. Not enough margin in it.

Same reason the boss won't allow the to stock ENGL, Diezel, JCA, Egnater, EVH, Suhr, EBMM and pretty much anything decent.

Sounds harsh man. Well, I hope you found something else.

I guess they have to make a profit, but by investing in other companies they could become a dealer that everyone goes to for that product which could increase their profit. Too many businesses are short sighted, sometimes a few grand on a few guitars outweighs the risk. Not to mention the fact that if no one stocks awesome guitars like Suhr they'll go out of business

Thank god for the Internet
Quote by Shredwizard445

Quote by Shredwizard445

I did. But that contract experies on Saturday so I'm unemployed again

Meh as far as I see it, they fired me for something that was out if my control after I had taken all reasonable steps to do what I could and had been told to do and because my 'mates' didn't have the balls to defend me in my absence

The managing director of the company is a prick. That's all there is to it salt he sits at the end of the Southend stores counter so it not like that customer induced debacle would have gone unnoticed like it would have at any of the other 9 stores in the company.

As it stands I was one of their best customers, both before and during my employment. As it stands I won't ever spend money in there again. Even to the extreme of buying strings and plectrums off the net.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Damn, Tom 1.0- if only HALF of that story is true, you got royally dicked. Here's hoping you wind up on the sunny side again, and soon.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Sadly it's all true

Thanks mate

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
^ oh this thread isn't going anywhere.

tom that sucks - i don't think i ever heard the whole story. you're better off. i was out of work except a couple here and there jobs for about a year and a half. i'm back at the grind now full time but it was a tough stretch. you get through it.

buying a ring is probably a good thing, rach sounds like a great gal.
Quote by Mephaphil
Greg - yea maybe. I think it's perfectly safe and secure though.

Here's a question. If I wanted to sell this LP in say 10 years, would that small circular blemish on the finish affect the resale? Do they come out of the factory with that kind of issue? I've seen it on Epiphones and other cheaper mass produced guitars.

Should I get it fixed or as it's not noticeable leave it? I would declare it but I can't see it being an issue.

Is it possible to get just that small area fixed and would it be perfect?

Tom - you still got that awesome Carvin?

in 10 years it's bound to have a few dings and signs of use. that's a pretty common thing so i wouldn't sweat it. it would probably cost a couple hundred to get fixed and even then there may be a sign it was repaired. i wouldn't worry about it. that little circle is it's birthmark now, embrace it. that's one of the things that makes it yours.

basically i don't see that small mark really being an issue, every used LP i've bought had some sign of use, some blemish.
Mega: that sort of damage won't devalue it any more than the fact its a 10 year old second hand Led Paul. If it were a Rx then it could harm resale more, but its not so you should be OK.

What do you guys think about some of the new 2013 Lesters?

Some old shots I have lying around.

Not that I miss my old Gold Top. Too many bad associations, but it was a classy guitar.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Last edited by Tom 1.0 at Jan 11, 2013,
Hey Tom - I'll ask you this as you've played and owned a shit load of guitars.

How does the Gibson compare to the ec1000?

I like the ec1000 but find the edges a bit square so not as comfortable as say a strat. Does the Gibson have more rounded edges? How do the neck compare (60s)?

Thx
Ah waiting on this new Les Paul sucks. It's not gonna be here until at least Tuesday. I was hoping for it to get delivered tomorrow. I am awfully impatient waiting for guitars
I don't know about their quality nowadays but Edwards did some pretty amazing Les Pauls. Manufactured parts in China and quality checked assembling in Japan. Great stuff.
G͔͓̅e͎͉̟̽ͬ͐̎̃͐ͨͅå͈͖͕̹̤̟̐̏͋ͅr̩͕̫̰̗s̹̳̼ͥ̒̍̄̅ͥ̚:

ESP Standard Eclipse I CTM VW
ESP LTD Deluxe H-1001
ESP LTD Deluxe Viper-1000 STBC
ESP Edwards E-EX-100STD
Warmoth Paulcaster "Tiger"
Tanglewood TW170 AS
Vox Tonelab ST
Blackstar HT-1R

I just saw a nice looking edwards on my CL the other day. They wanted $600 for it, but I don't know much about them.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
Quote by -Ed-
Hey Tom - I'll ask you this as you've played and owned a shit load of guitars.

How does the Gibson compare to the ec1000?

I like the ec1000 but find the edges a bit square so not as comfortable as say a strat. Does the Gibson have more rounded edges? How do the neck compare (60s)?

Thx

Forgot I'd owned an Eclipse

To be fair they are completely different animals. The ESP plays like a superstrat with a single cut body. It's slimmer, more ergonomic and with the tummy cut more comfortable. It's also lighter and slighter better balanced.

The Les Paul, is fat, heavier (though the guys who say they are too heavy need to man the **** up) and depending on what neck you get, it's fatter (50's) or pretty similar (60's) though they are also slightly nicer to play with the smaller radius.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by Tom 1.0

Forgot I'd owned an Eclipse

To be fair they are completely different animals. The ESP plays like a superstrat with a single cut body. It's slimmer, more ergonomic and with the tummy cut more comfortable. It's also lighter and slighter better balanced.

The Les Paul, is fat, heavier (though the guys who say they are too heavy need to man the **** up) and depending on what neck you get, it's fatter (50's) or pretty similar (60's) though they are also slightly nicer to play with the smaller radius.

2 Volume/2Tone?

Is that a pre-lawsuit Eclipse?

I can't say why but I've been GASing for an LP for the past few months. I have something else I need to get first (what I need is a new amp) but after I'm done with that project I imagine I'll be in the market for some kind of LP guitar soon.

I've been eyeballing the LP Studios, but mostly because they are much cheaper and I don't really know how well the difference in price scales with the difference in quality. I don't know what features would justify it for me. But much of that is because I have a hard time going through the different models. There's so many
No its just a European Eclipse ii. Gibson never sued ESP, they just threatened too unless they made changes to certain models in different markets.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by zilant

I've been eyeballing the LP Studios, but mostly because they are much cheaper and I don't really know how well the difference in price scales with the difference in quality. I don't know what features would justify it for me. But much of that is because I have a hard time going through the different models. There's so many

Studios are same quality as standards. The only difference is binding and finish. You can get just as good LP tone with a studio.
“You’re always learning about this thing every time you pick it up.” Keith Richards
Thanks Tom

Quote by LP1951
Studios are same quality as standards. The only difference is binding and finish. You can get just as good LP tone with a studio.

Interesting. Does this still hold true for 2012/13 les Paul's ? Over here they're £1k v 2 k for studio v standard.

I probably shouldn't even be looking at this thread as I have a hard on for another Jackson ATM too.....
No, that was never true. It was closer to the truth 10 years ago, but the Studios have always had different pickups and no headstock veneer in addition to the binding and finish differences. Depending on the year, there have also been inlay, hardware, wood, and I think a few other differences as well. So it's never just been the binding and paint.

Assuming we're talking about the regular Studio vs. a regular Standard (no Mahogany/Tribute/Traditional/Plus modifiers) then the big current differences are mostly cosmetic. The binding, finish, headstock veneer, inlays (headstock and neck), Maple grade (on trans finishes) are the cosmetic differences. Functional differences are the pickups and PLEK level (Studios just get the nut, Standards get nut and fret level PLEK). Edit - as Greg mentions below, the Standards also use a better grade of wood than the Studios.

Once you get into the different models things get even weirder. There's all sorts of variation, even a few among the same model - for instance the White LP Studio is painted in the custom shop and uses an ebony board instead of rosewood. Only that color, only that model. It's because the white finish needs to be done in a special paint booth that they only have at the custom shop.

It's been my experience that the Standards are more consistent in quality than the Studios. I can't back that up with anything concrete, but having played dozens of each model it wouldn't surprise me if they were a bit more picky about what left the factory with the Standard badge on it. It certainly makes sense given the price difference.

All that said, if you're able to play lots of each model you're probably going to find a Studio that sounds great. On average the Standard is the better guitar, but Gibsons vary wildly so there's plenty of great guitars from both lines.
Quote by LP1951

I used to say that when I had a Studio. Then I played a Traditional and I was blown away, the tone was smoother, the whole guitar felt complete with its carved top etc.

Your opinion is subjective in any case, and you should remember that. It's fine that you find them similar but I wouldn't agree that the Studio felt or played as nice as my Traditional.
Quote by Shredwizard445

Quote by Shredwizard445

Last edited by Mephaphil at Jan 11, 2013,
Quote by hminh87
I don't know about their quality nowadays but Edwards did some pretty amazing Les Pauls. Manufactured parts in China and quality checked assembling in Japan. Great stuff.

partially assembled in china under japanese mgt and final assembly in japan iirc. that one looks nice!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
I just saw a nice looking edwards on my CL the other day. They wanted $600 for it, but I don't know much about them.

the next time that happens i'd like a PM please.

OK then, the only differences are cosmetic (binding, headstock inlay and finish). You can get just as good LP tone with a studio.
“You’re always learning about this thing every time you pick it up.” Keith Richards
Quote by LP1951
OK then, the only differences are cosmetic (binding, headstock inlay and finish). You can get just as good LP tone with a studio.

i'd say so, it just depends on the individual guitar.

if the core build is good and of good wood you can make any of them sound great with the right hardware/electronics.

i've swapped out pups/hardware/electronics on both my MIJ lp's and they sound as good or better than a lot of more expensive guitars.

imo - a good LP is a solid build of good core woods, electronics and hardware can be changed to the highest quality stuff or whatever the individual player prefers.

as far as the technical differences between a normal studio and standard, the studios get what's called "C" grade wood. standards do get a bit better raw wood iirc. plus the headstock veneer, binding, finishes etc.
Last edited by gregs1020 at Jan 11, 2013,
LP's are arguably the best guitar to El Kabong someone with.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Quote by LP1951

Not big on reading comprehension, are we?
Quote by JustRooster
LP's are arguably the best guitar to El Kabong someone with.

I'm sorry, and I know this is the LP thread, but...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dv1bM0pp_o4

There's only one champion.

Quote by Roc8995
Not big on reading comprehension, are we?

+1
Quote by Shredwizard445

Quote by Shredwizard445

Quote by Mephaphil

Does thare get counted as a solo hit for Keef, or is that a hit for the Rolling Stones?
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by dannyalcatraz
Does thare get counted as a solo hit for Keef, or is that a hit for the Rolling Stones?

It's all Keefs.

Mick would have tried to hit the guy with his ****ing knighthood.
Quote by Shredwizard445

Quote by Shredwizard445

Cosmetics (binding, inlay and finish) do nothing to enhance the sound of a guitar.

Cosmetics may enhance value as in the case of a nice flamed top or the beautiful double binding on a Vegas Tele, but cosmetics have no effect on sound.

I can see paying extra for a guitar that is cosmetically beautiful, but no way binding and inlays are worth $500 to $1000 extra.
Yeah but the better quality woods and attention to detail do.

But they still ain't no Kramer

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by Mephaphil

+1

That's one thing I love about Teles. Bloomfield used to carry his Tele to the studio without a case in the snow when he was doing the Hwy 61 sessions. When he got inside he slamme the Tele on the floor to knock the snow off.
Quote by LP1951
Cosmetics (binding, inlay and finish) do nothing to enhance the sound of a guitar.

Cosmetics may enhance value as in the case of a nice flamed top or the beautiful double binding on a Vegas Tele, but cosmetics have no effect on sound.

I can see paying extra for a guitar that is cosmetically beautiful, but no way binding and inlays are worth $500 to $1000 extra.

I was referring to the parts you ignored where the wood and pickups are different, and there's a different PLEK setup. Those are sound and playability things.

I didn't say anything about value. Just listing the differences for people who asked. You're wrong to say that the differences are only cosmetic.
Quote by Roc8995
I was referring to the parts you ignored where the wood and pickups are different, and there's a different PLEK setup. Those are sound and playability things.

I didn't say anything about value. Just listing the differences for people who asked. You're wrong to say that the differences are only cosmetic.

Pickups certainly make a difference, wood does not make much difference in a solid body electric. I'd rather have a luthier hand finish my frets than have a PLEK.
That's a legitimate opinion, but don't just ignore those differences. They exist.