Page 5 of 412
The only thing that made it a hard repair was he had lost some of the black veneer, you wouldn't even know it had broken if you were to play it now

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by Charvel1995
I'll find out for you. Stay away from the bolt on?

i probably would. there's no shortage of decent set neck models.

Quote by Tom 1.0
The only thing that made it a hard repair was he had lost some of the black veneer, you wouldn't even know it had broken if you were to play it now

yeah i've seen some good repairs locally. my local guy is good, but he's not cheap, $300 before matching the finish. but it's fixed very well.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Last edited by gregs1020 at Jan 12, 2013,
Quote by Tom 1.0

The only broken LP I ever encountered. The kid had to throw it against the wall to break it.

They really aren't that delicate if you just get on with it. Its just something people always bitch about. Its bollocks.

They arent made of unicorn spunk. Its also an easy repair, just play them and if your one of the very very very small minority of owners who suffers a break, repair it.

B. l. A. S. P. H. E. M. Y! Take it away!

What's the cost of a crazy repair like that?

I know it most likely won't happen, but I'd rather not risk it. Not because it's my favourite, I don't which one is but it's the one that will be the most ****ed up if it happened.

I just think it's too expensive to take risks with. Not very rock & roll but whatever.

I've only had it a few months, In 10 years I'll probably use it to shovel snow or something else that's equally careless.
Quote by Shredwizard445
Go ahead and spend your money, I don't care. It won't make you sound better.

Quote by Shredwizard445
Sure upgrading your gear will make you sound better.

Last edited by Mephaphil at Jan 12, 2013,
i kicked over a studio and snapped the headstock off the last time i worked in a shop.

that's probably why it was the last time i worked in the shop.
Quote by gregs1020
i kicked over a studio and snapped the headstock off the last time i worked in a shop.

that's probably why it was the last time i worked in the shop.

'YOU'LL NEVER BE AS NICE AS A STANDARD, DOG!' And you booted it.

Like that?

(Don't shout at me, I like Studios, it's Greg who kicked one. I'm just trying to work out why, from his perspective )
Quote by Shredwizard445

Quote by Shredwizard445

Maybe that's how he picked that white studio up for $350 a while back.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb

no i just didn't see it.

i got a lot of leg into it.
Quote by Mephaphil
B. l. A. S. P. H. E. M. Y! Take it away!

What's the cost of a crazy repair like that?

I know it most likely won't happen, but I'd rather not risk it. Not because it's my favourite, I don't which one is but it's the one that will be the most ****ed up if it happened.

I just think it's too expensive to take risks with. Not very rock & roll but whatever.

I've only had it a few months, In 10 years I'll probably use it to shovel snow or something else that's equally careless.

Amen! That Broken-neck LP will never be the same.
“You’re always learning about this thing every time you pick it up.” Keith Richards
Quote by Tom 1.0
Maybe that's how he picked that white studio up for $350 a while back.

Yea he said 'picked up' but really it was 'docked from pay'
Quote by Shredwizard445

Quote by Shredwizard445

Greg: Awesome work. I feel we are a step below or fellow forumites when comes to out merry abuse of guitars

Quote by LP1951
Amen! That Broken-neck LP will never be the same.

Um yeah it was... Or we wouldn't have accepted it back

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb

at least it was a cheap one.

a well repaired headstock is stronger after the repair folks, glue = stronger than wood.
That's one expensive, broken headstock, man.
Quote by Shredwizard445

Quote by Shredwizard445

Good spot

Though i did see an original template for a 58 Explorer up for sale St £5k

Quote by gregs1020

at least it was a cheap one.

a well repaired headstock is stronger after the repair folks, glue = stronger than wood.

Yeah.... You have more expensive fakes

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
I got my lp standard Faded, posted in the first page, for £890 cuz the neck had a repair. But it's just the greatest guitar. They did an amazing fix and you wouldn't even know unless told
Hey Greg, the owner replied and told me that the Univox was indeed a bolt on neck
Main Rig:

Epiphone MKH Les Paul Custom 7 - Ronda
Ibanez RG8 "Scarlet" - AKA The Rambanez
Fender Strat "Danielle"/"Dani"
Line 6 POD HD Pro
Randall XL 4x12

Come join us...

Purchase list: Jim Root Tele, Jim Root Jazzmaster, MTM20
A man Colin might know named Greg Ginter owns a vintage shop in Madison. I bought my first Les Paul from him. It was a limited run, the Epiphone 70's Custom. I had talked to him a few times before and he knew I was a Strat guy. He told me when I bought that LP that, "Be careful. When you drop a Strat, you pick it up. When you drop a Les Paul, you fix it."
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
I'm a little confused....... Is everything with the "Les Paul" shape considered a Les Paul?
From the first page, I was under the impression we were talking about Gibson Les Pauls'.
Quote by TVeye
I'm a little confused....... Is everything with the "Les Paul" shape considered a Les Paul?
From the first page, I was under the impression we were talking about Gibson Les Pauls'.

Yeah, kinda how Peavey Raptors, G&L Legacies, and Godin Session are all "Strats."
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Here's my Les Paul:

Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
Such a cool guitar.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
What year LP SG is that?
Quote by Shredwizard445

Quote by Shredwizard445

Its 61 Les Paul.

Not an SG.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by Tom 1.0
Its 61 Les Paul.

Not an SG.

Sorry. I did know that. Ain't that beaut worth like £10,000 +?
Quote by Shredwizard445

Quote by Shredwizard445

Last edited by Mephaphil at Jan 13, 2013,
I'm just being a prat.

A real one would be. Colin's is Custom Shop RI. Beautiful guitar though.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
I know it's technically a Les Paul but I can never get on with SG's. But that one, I would do bad things with that thing...
Quote by WholeLottaIzzy
I know it's technically a Les Paul but I can never get on with SG's. But that one, I would do bad things with that thing...

The Les Paul Book refers to that 61 model as the SG/Les Paul. Of course, Les Paul let them put his name on it for the royalties, but I don't think Les Paul played that model.

The SG is great for slide, but for everything else, the original design is better.
“You’re always learning about this thing every time you pick it up.” Keith Richards
^ lol you be trollin'.
Quote by Charvel1995
Hey Greg, the owner replied and told me that the Univox was indeed a bolt on neck

i'm not a huge fan of the bolt on versions myself. but if it plays well you have to decide for yourself. i cant imagine a repaired bolt on being worth much if you decided to sell it at a later point. so i'd be careful. what is your budget? location? other options?
Quote by TVeye

i just ran through some of the history of gibsons briefly.

any brand is fine though, we aren't limiting it to gibsons.
Quote by gregs1020
^ lol you be trollin'.

i'm not a huge fan of the bolt on versions myself. but if it plays well you have to decide for yourself. i cant imagine a repaired bolt on being worth much if you decided to sell it at a later point. so i'd be careful. what is your budget? location? other options?

Don't really have a set budget, as I don't know my paycheck for next week. It won't be a hell of a lot, and this caught my eye. Im really looking for a LP or a guitar with a Floyd Rose, and I found a Cort with a floyd and emgs for $150 on my local kijiji, and it looks really good, so I might pick it up next week if I can.

Main Rig:

Epiphone MKH Les Paul Custom 7 - Ronda
Ibanez RG8 "Scarlet" - AKA The Rambanez
Fender Strat "Danielle"/"Dani"
Line 6 POD HD Pro
Randall XL 4x12

Come join us...

Purchase list: Jim Root Tele, Jim Root Jazzmaster, MTM20
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gibson_SG

n 1961, Gibson Les Paul sales were significantly lower than in previous years. The following year, the Les Paul was given a thinner, flat-topped mahogany body, and had a double cutaway which made the upper frets more accessible... Although the new guitar was popular, Les Paul himself did not care for the new design, and requested the removal of his name from the new model. He remained under contract to Gibson, however, and he was photographed with the new model several times.

Gibson honored Les Paul's request, and the new model was renamed "SG", which stood for 'Solid Guitar'. Les Paul's name was officially deleted in 1961, but the SG continued to feature Les Paul nameplates and truss rod covers until the end of 1963.
Quote by WholeLottaIzzy

I always thought this, thanks to an old band mate who worshiped Angus Young I always dismissed them, then I bought my Derek Trucks, which incidentally is what made Kyle buy that SG.

They are seriously nice guitars and they just sound so raw and aggressive. I would probably take Colins (or my old Trucks) over any Non RI Les Paul now.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Last edited by Tom 1.0 at Jan 13, 2013,
It's a really beautiful LP in any case. Reissues are great things
Quote by Shredwizard445

Quote by Shredwizard445

Yeah definitely, they are making some amazing guitars, though I haven't played many from 2011/12 yet.

My favourite Les Paul I have played was the VOS Kossof they did. Incredible thing.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by Mephaphil
What year LP SG is that?

It's a '61 Reissue, but I think I determined it's from 2006.

Quote by LP1951
The Les Paul Book refers to that 61 model as the SG/Les Paul. Of course, Les Paul let them put his name on it for the royalties, but I don't think Les Paul played that model.

The SG is great for slide, but for everything else, the original design is better.

I'd like to hear the rationale for this.

Quote by Tom 1.0
I always thought this, thanks to an old band mate who worshiped Angus Young I always dismissed them, then I bought my Derek Trucks, which incidentally is what made Colin buy that SG.

They are seriously nice guitars and they just sound so raw and aggressive. I would probably take Colins (or my old Trucks) over any Non RI Les Paul now.

You mean Kyle.

Quote by Mephaphil
It's a really beautiful LP in any case. Reissues are great things

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
Shit sorry mate, wasn't paying attention *embarrassed smiley*

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Colin wishes he had my guitar.

No, but your post was true. I hold you primarily responsible for me buying that guitar.

Quote by ibz_bucket

Quote by tubetime86
Quote by TNfootballfan62

I'd like to hear the rationale for this.

Rationale for what? Les Paul's dislike for SG design or SG being good for slide?

Possibly, I think most of us do. Well I shall carry that burden of blame with pride haha

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb