ilikekfc
Tab Contributor
923 IQ
hello, i have a squier 60's classic vibe tele and i replaced the saddles for fender brass ones, but i was thinking about changing the nut aswell? would brass ones be suitable for that proper tele sound or should i put a bone one on? or any others that people can suggest. any help would be well appreciated, thanks
Sunshine86
Mustang Fanboy
315 IQ
I'd go with bone.
#48 of the Fender Armada
#2 Omar Alfredo Rodriguez-Lopez fan club

Gibson SG Standard
Fender American Standard Telecaster
Fender Mustang
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
kangaxxter
tune up turn on rock out
1,360 IQ
I'd go with bone or graphite. Brass nuts can be problematic with the amount of stress the strings put on them. Brass is much softer than steel (and nickel), and metal on metal contact (and there is much more of that on a metal nut than metal saddles) increases adhesion and will cause strings to "stick," so both the strings and the nut will wear faster.

BTW, the same problem happens with zero frets as well, but that's what happens when they take the easy way out on fretting a neck.
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Fender Rumble 100 V3
Eric Johnson Fuzz Face
NYC Big Muff Pi
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.
2,847 IQ
Quote by ilikekfc
hello, i have a squier 60's classic vibe tele and i replaced the saddles for fender brass ones, but i was thinking about changing the nut aswell? would brass ones be suitable for that proper tele sound or should i put a bone one on? or any others that people can suggest. any help would be well appreciated, thanks

I could be wrong, but I don't think the standard for teles is a brass nut. I'd go with bone if you're looking for a traditional sound.
FatalGear41
War Mastiff!!!
1,381 IQ
A brass nut won't change the sound appreciably. Brass nuts on guitars were all the rage in the late 1970s, as they were thought to increase sustain. But if they have any effect, it would be on open strings. Traditionally, Fender guitars usually use bone or plastic nuts, so if you want to stay true to form, go with a bone nut.
"Drinking is a skill and should be recognized as such!"

Quote by gregs1020
FatalGear41 knows the ways of the obscure. I hear it's just not with Gibsons. Beware, Halloween approaches...

Quote by Spaz91
DAMNIT FATALGEAR YOU RUINED MUH FLOW!