Page 1 of 2
ch1ng_chung
2,038 IQ
Don't trust anyone who says that "guitar cables don't matter" or that "all cables are the same, Monsters are just as good as the $5/20 feet off-brand ones". I used to believe this statement until just today.

I used to think that my amp had muffled tone. That it took in all the guitar frequencies and mushed them together in its preamp.

Then, I bought a new cable, a VOX 9m coil, to replace my old Livewire 10 ft.

The new cable has opened up my amp in so many ways, my tone alone, just strumming the open strings, became 2 times better, literally within 5 seconds of plugging the cable in. My clean channel suddenly became full, and my OD, which before I thought was useless trying to make sound nice, started to growl like a Marshall and a Bassman.

Now, I do use a MG100HDFX on its respective MG412 cab, but I also have played lots of expensive amps as well (mostly in GC), so I can testify that it sounded pretty damn good.

Unexpected thing was that the new cable was 3 times as long as the old one, but had much more effective transfer of tone.

Moral of this story: Cables matter!
cdr_salamander
or simply Nick
1,335 IQ
inb4 lock:

If you've played a bunch of expensive tube amps and still think your MG sounds good, you need to get your ears checked.
Quote by Dunning~Kruger
Yes I was rude, and I was aggressive and I was offending a large group of people. But I was civlized about it.

Taylor 414CE
JKHC
918 IQ
TS, I think you're in the wrong forum.

Try this one instead:
http://www.thegearpage.net
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
ch1ng_chung
2,038 IQ
Quote by cdr_salamander
inb4 lock:

If you've played a bunch of expensive tube amps and still think your MG sounds good, you need to get your ears checked.

well Jeff Healey plays a Squier Strat, sometimes it takes a blind man to recognize that tone is above brand and model

All inspirational statements aside, it doesn't exactly sound as good as a tube amp when you play it without adding "flavor" through methods of vibrato or this other thing that I can't quite explain but I do all the time when playing thru my amp. Then it sounds as good as a tube.
Robbgnarly
Tab Contributor
1,177 IQ
Quote by ch1ng_chung
well Jeff Healey plays a Squier Strat, sometimes it takes a blind man to recognize that tone is above brand and model

All inspirational statements aside, it doesn't exactly sound as good as a tube amp when you play it without adding "flavor" through methods of vibrato or this other thing that I can't quite explain but I do all the time when playing thru my amp. Then it sounds as good as a tube.

You do realize that most artist that play cheap guitars like squier's are really playing custom shop guitars with "Squier"on the headstock.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
AxSilentxLine
Artist In The Ambulance
1,216 IQ
Quote by Robbgnarly

You do realize that most artist that play cheap guitars like squier's are really playing custom shop guitars with "Squier"on the headstock.

Even so, I would take a Squier Strat into JCM800 over a Gibson Les Paul Custom into MG100 any day
gregs1020
Hi mom!
10,786 IQ
Quote by ch1ng_chung

i use a $100 power cable to plug my amp into the wall.

tell me more about how important cables are.

Quote by Roc8995
I don't think I've ever played anything in black walnut. It's a great ice cream flavor, so I assume it works well for a strat too.

Quote by JustRooster
The slugs in the pickups for telecasters are from old winchester rifles, which is why they sound so country.
|Long|
String Theory
183 IQ
Cables do matter.

Low capacitance, shielding, ruggedness.

... But almost all cables in the 20$ (for 10 ft) range accomplish this. Going over and paying hundreds of dollars is only going to affect your placebo, not your guitars sound.

What's next? We need directional cables for teh most best t0nez?

The fact that your 9m coiled cable (30 ft) sounds better than your 10ft cable tells me one of few things:

1) You prefer less high end, so the frequency roll off is actually more suited for you. There is nothing wrong with that. Many players use coiled or long cables for the reason

2) Your 10ft cable was poorly constructed, but to have 3x the capacitance as the other cable? Doubt it.
Hydroxic acid, kills thousands of people every year. Studies have shown lakes and rivers all over North America contain high levels hydroxic acid. Currently governments have taken no action against this life threatening chemical.
Last edited by |Long| at Jan 8, 2013,
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech
2,565 IQ
And did you clean the plugs on the old cables properly before comparing them? Were the old cables still in as good a condition as when they were new or had they been stomped all over?
I smell unknown variables.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
R45VT
Doesn't speak guitar
1,110 IQ
Wow so if I replace the cables in my pinto it will turn into a corvette? Sweet!
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
jetwash69
889 IQ
As most people here know, I actually prefer my Squier Strat over my MIA. Of course, it is heavily modded with parts made for Deluxe MIA Strats and Seymour Duncan humbuckers, while the MIA is bone stock with SSS pups.

I also have a variety of instrument cables:
- 5, 10, 20, 30' lengths of Livewire Cable
- Coiled 20' Bullet Cable
- Several Coiled 20' Fender Cables
- Straight 20' Monster Cable (which I bought with my initial set-up of an MIA Strat & Marshall MG30DFX [])
- Straight 20' Planet Waves Cable

Guess what? When used connecting the same guitars and amps, they all sound...
You guessed it...they all sound the same.

Now obviously I prefer my tube half-stack over the MG. The MG sounds like it's submerged in a mud puddle no matter which of the 6 guitars I play thru it. Unless I disconnect the speaker and hook it up to the tube head; then it's good enough for small venues as an unpowered cab.

TS, you're not going to impress anyone here with an MG series amp regardless of the wattage or the configuration.
mmolteratx
UG God
3,786 IQ
Quote by |Long|
Cables do matter.

... But almost all cables in the 20$ (for 10 ft) range accomplish this. Going over and paying hundreds of dollars is only going to affect your placebo, not your guitars sound.

The fact that your 9m coiled cable (30 ft) sounds better than your 10ft cable tells me one of few things:

1) You prefer less high end, so the frequency roll off is actually more suited for you. There is nothing wrong with that. Many players use coiled or long cables for the reason

2) Your 10ft cable was poorly constructed, but to have 3x the capacitance as the other cable? Doubt it.

Along with all of the inductance added by a coily cable. My guess is it's rolling off all of his high end, making the bees quieter.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Arby911
Finding the Pattern
831 IQ
Quote by ch1ng_chung

No he doesn't, he's dead.

And when he was alive he damn sure didn't use an MG...
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl
2,967 IQ
Quote by |Long|
Cables do matter.

+1

like with most guitar related stuff, there's quality kit and cheap tat. And (like with most other guitar-related kit) it's definitely worth paying for the quality kit and avoiding the cheap tat. But once you get into the quality bracket (which with cables, if you know what you're doing, isn't actually that expensive), those diminishing returns kick in pretty darn rapidly.

Quote by Cathbard
And did you clean the plugs on the old cables properly before comparing them? Were the old cables still in as good a condition as when they were new or had they been stomped all over?

+1
Quote by classicrocker01
Only on UG would I say I got engaged and bought a jet city and get congratulated on the amp

gregs1020
Hi mom!
10,786 IQ

Quote by Roc8995
I don't think I've ever played anything in black walnut. It's a great ice cream flavor, so I assume it works well for a strat too.

Quote by JustRooster
The slugs in the pickups for telecasters are from old winchester rifles, which is why they sound so country.
gregs1020
Hi mom!
10,786 IQ
Quote by Ippon
Greg UG!

TGP is the other tab old man.

i won't lie i do have it bookmarked.

but it's the classifieds.
Quote by Roc8995

Quote by JustRooster
AxSilentxLine
Artist In The Ambulance
1,216 IQ
Quote by gregs1020

-solder not triple heat shrink sealed

-no gold plating

-blue is proven to suck tone

2/10 would not use
gregs1020
Hi mom!
10,786 IQ
^ no i couldn't register there because i use gmail and their reg system denies all gmail addys. or something.
Quote by AxSilentxLine

-no gold plating

2/10 would not use

blue actually improves tone.

it's a proven fact that having a blue gem light on your amp will make your fragile harmonics last longer.

and please, do not buy one, that way there will be more on clearance for me.
Quote by Roc8995

Quote by JustRooster
Arby911
Finding the Pattern
831 IQ
Quote by AxSilentxLine

-no gold plating

2/10 would not use

But each one comes with this free, because the manufacturers know....

“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Last edited by Arby911 at Sep 4, 2013,
tubetime86
I don't even play guitar.
1,633 IQ
Quote by Cathbard

+1

Ice cream causes drowning too. Just look at the stats.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl
2,967 IQ
Quote by Arby911
But each one comes with this free, because the manufacturers know....

i don't wanna know what you googled to find that
Quote by classicrocker01
Only on UG would I say I got engaged and bought a jet city and get congratulated on the amp

Ian_the_fox
Banned
2,990 IQ
Quote by ch1ng_chung
Don't trust anyone who says that "guitar cables don't matter" or that "all cables are the same, Monsters are just as good as the $5/20 feet off-brand ones". I used to believe this statement until just today.

I used to think that my amp had muffled tone. That it took in all the guitar frequencies and mushed them together in its preamp.

Then, I bought a new cable, a VOX 9m coil, to replace my old Livewire 10 ft.

The new cable has opened up my amp in so many ways, my tone alone, just strumming the open strings, became 2 times better, literally within 5 seconds of plugging the cable in. My clean channel suddenly became full, and my OD, which before I thought was useless trying to make sound nice, started to growl like a Marshall and a Bassman.

Now, I do use a MG100HDFX on its respective MG412 cab, but I also have played lots of expensive amps as well (mostly in GC), so I can testify that it sounded pretty damn good.

Unexpected thing was that the new cable was 3 times as long as the old one, but had much more effective transfer of tone.

I was agreeing with you until the bolded sentence.

The quality of the cables you use absolutely does matter and a piece of shit cable can ruin the tone of an entire rig using a tube amp, yes.

But if you are using a really shitty SS amp like an MG or running your signal through 200 pedals, the difference in cable quality is negligible and you are wasting your time. If shitty amps like Spiders and MG's can't accentuate the unique qualites of different pickups and tone woods, how the hell are cables going to make any difference?
tubetime86
I don't even play guitar.
1,633 IQ
Quote by Ian_the_fox
I was agreeing with you until the bolded sentence.

The quality of the cables you use absolutely does matter and a piece of shit cable can ruin the tone of an entire rig using a tube amp, yes.

But if you are using a really shitty SS amp like an MG or running your signal through 200 pedals, the difference in cable quality is negligible and you are wasting your time. If shitty amps like Spiders and MG's can't accentuate the unique qualites of different pickups and tone woods, how the hell are cables going to make any difference?

I was agreeing with you until the bolded phrase. The more pedals you have the more important your cables are, because there is simply more cable.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
mmolteratx
UG God
3,786 IQ
Quote by ihartfood
but live wire cables aren't really shit.

They kind of are, tone wise. Very high capacitance compared to something like Mogami even. Though I'd be willing to bet that capacitance is a lot lower than his coily cable (especially since it's 1/3 the length), and it doesn't have the inductance that the coily cable has, so it should let more highs pass in comparison.

Quote by tubetime86
I was agreeing with you until the bolded phrase. The more pedals you have the more important your cables are, because there is simply more cable.

Well, to some extent. After a certain point, you're gonna be getting pretty significant signal loss regardless of your cables. But if you're running that many pedals, you should have a buffer to eliminate the difference.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Ian_the_fox
Banned
2,990 IQ
Quote by mmolteratx
Well, to some extent. After a certain point, you're gonna be getting pretty significant signal loss regardless of your cables. But if you're running that many pedals, you should have a buffer to eliminate the difference.
This, plus with more patch cables veing thrown out in the mix one is likely to be a dud/tone sucker, unless they are all of top quality and have a slim rate of failure.
mmolteratx
UG God
3,786 IQ
Quote by ihartfood
i meant they hold up extremely well. whatever.

I had 3 and they all fell apart within 6 months. Not terrible since they've got a lifetime warranty, but I'd never buy one again. Especially when I can build considerably nicer cables cheaper.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

cdr_salamander
or simply Nick
1,335 IQ
Quote by mmolteratx
I had 3 and they all fell apart within 6 months. Not terrible since they've got a lifetime warranty, but I'd never buy one again. Especially when I can build considerably nicer cables cheaper.

Build me sum...

I use live wire, but I never from from my bedroom, so if something falls apart, it is truly. truly shit.

I will eventually upgrade to better ones, but cables are always last on my priority list.
Quote by Dunning~Kruger
Yes I was rude, and I was aggressive and I was offending a large group of people. But I was civlized about it.

Taylor 414CE
Blktiger0
The Name's Devon! ;)
3,630 IQ
Quote by ihartfood
well damn. I abuse mine (as in i flipped an amp over on one of mine) and it works fine.

I have the same experience with Monster Cable (well, not LITERALLY that experience, but I've had no issues with mine, despite use and abuse) and if I had a nickel for ever person that claims they're shit, I would be able to buy the company. I've only had one Monster Cable ever fail on me, and it was an XLR cable that was given to me by it's second owner, making me the third, so I'm not complaining.

Like I've always said, as long as you buy a cable that has a lifetime warranty, you'll be fine. It's going to be a quality cable and isn't likely to fail. Sure, you'll have lemons like with anything, and you'll have the people that swear up and down that every one they buy fails within an hour, but if that was actually the case, the company would go under with all of the returns.

Sure, each brand is going to have slightly different tone, but if you're that obssessed to the point of trying 12 different brands of cable to "get your tone" then you have too much time and need a lady friend that will spend naughty time with you.
jetwash69
889 IQ
So far (in about 5+ years), the only problems I've had cable-wise was with connectors.

That was with mic cable that Musician's Friend had sold under the Live Wire name, but clearly they weren't Live Wire. I cut the cheap XLRs off and replaced with Neutriks; no more problems. The customer support folks sent me a replacement and didn't want the old ones back. The replacement was just as bad as the original, so I replaced the connectors on it too and now it's fine. Guitar Center (same company) sells that same cable as a generic off the floor.

The only cables I've really hated were Hosas; which is kind of funny since that's just Neutrik's Made in China brand. The connectors were fine, but the cable itself was too thick and not pliable enough. It gets kinked easily.

Mogami is the same company as MXL microphones. They use the same Neutrik connectors that come on real Live Wires. Has anyone actually tested capacitance on Mogami cable? I'm not impressed with the parent company and wonder if Mogami isn't a little like Monster.
Last edited by jetwash69 at Jan 10, 2013,
mmolteratx
UG God
3,786 IQ
Quote by Blktiger0
I have the same experience with Monster Cable (well, not LITERALLY that experience, but I've had no issues with mine, despite use and abuse) and if I had a nickel for ever person that claims they're shit, I would be able to buy the company. I've only had one Monster Cable ever fail on me, and it was an XLR cable that was given to me by it's second owner, making me the third, so I'm not complaining.

Like I've always said, as long as you buy a cable that has a lifetime warranty, you'll be fine. It's going to be a quality cable and isn't likely to fail. Sure, you'll have lemons like with anything, and you'll have the people that swear up and down that every one they buy fails within an hour, but if that was actually the case, the company would go under with all of the returns.

Sure, each brand is going to have slightly different tone, but if you're that obssessed to the point of trying 12 different brands of cable to "get your tone" then you have too much time and need a lady friend that will spend naughty time with you.

I've had two Monsters break. One was completely my fault as I ran over it and destroyed the tip. The other just stopped working.

And I've only had different brands of cable because they kept breaking and I decided to try new brands. One break is too many if it's at a critical time. Would never buy a machine soldered cable again for that reason. They're all pretty shit in that regard. Longest lasting cable I had was a Mogami that lasted 2 years before it got stolen.

Quote by jetwash69
So far (in about 5+ years), the only problems I've had cable-wise was with connectors.

That was with mic cable that Musician's Friend had sold under the Live Wire name, but clearly they weren't Live Wire. I cut the cheap XLRs off and replaced with Neutriks; no more problems. The customer support folks sent me a replacement and didn't want the old ones back. The replacement was just as bad as the original, so I replaced the connectors on it too and now it's fine. Guitar Center (same company) sells that same cable as a generic off the floor.

The only cables I've really hated were Hosas; which is kind of funny since that's just Neutrik's Made in China brand. The connectors were fine, but the cable itself was too thick and not pliable enough. It gets kinked easily.

Mogamy is the same company as MXL microphones. They use the same Neutrik connectors that come on real Live Wires. Has anyone actually tested capacitance on Mogamy cable? I'm not impressed with the parent company and wonder if Mogamy isn't a little like Monster.

Mogamis measure around 33pF/ft on my LCR meter. The Live Wires I had were over 3 times that.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT