carlaleekirby
122 IQ
Hi All,

I joined this site to get some expert advice from other Guitar fanatics, as I am not one myself. My 18 year old nephew got a guitar for Xmas, and its his birthday coming up soon.

I thought of buying him a DVD showing him how to do some awesome guitar licks/riffs or maybe a book that someone else can recommend ????

He seems to be keen on Phoenix, Fall Out Boy, Biffy Clyro, Queen Kwong, Bakken, Roadkill Ghost Choir, Lost Prophets ....hope this gives a kinda taste of the kind of music he likes.

Any ideas you have got regarding birthday presents....dvd/books/etc will be gratefully received by me.

Thanks Folks XX
steven seagull
not really a seagull
1,064 IQ
If he has a console or PC f you hunt then Rocksmith would be a great present, and whilst it's no substitute for a teacher it's certainly something that can help him stay motivated. Don't get me wrong, it will NOT teach him how to play the guitar by any stretch of the imagination but it is fun and another way to get used to having the guitar in your hands.

http://www.play.com/Search.html?searchstring=rocksmith&searchsource=0&searchtype=allproducts
http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=rocksmith

I wouldn't really recommend getting an instructional DVD at this stage as in my experience they tend to be more use to intermediate/advanced players, I don't think there's an awful lot out there that's really going to have much real value.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
StrykVladzimsky
ESP through Potato
2,585 IQ
It's going to be pretty tricky because everything surrounding guitars is pretty personal. Did he get another guitar for Christmas or is this his first? In other words, did he just start playing?
Quote by luxeion
i keep asking my dad for wood. but he keeps getting annoyed (he's working on a house). and i'm too young to go outside.

carlaleekirby
122 IQ
Thanks folks, yes its his first guitar, but he knew how to tune it and play some basic chords so he wasn't a complete novice.
steven seagull
not really a seagull
1,064 IQ
Yeah I was just assuming you were in the UK like me but obviously I have no idea where you are!

These little multi-tools are a really handy thing for guitarists too, all the stuff you need to maintain it.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Farleys-JP-Deluxe-Guitar-Tool/dp/B0007KVLGA/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1357759324&sr=8-4

also moved to the gear forum as it's probably the best fit
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

steven seagull
not really a seagull
1,064 IQ
Quote by carlaleekirby
We are in London, if that helps you..

Then if you can stretch to around £30 he'd be made up with Rocksmith, assuming he has a console or PC he can play games on.

All depends on how much you like your nephew
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

thebestjoe
546 IQ
Pick punch maybe?
The most discouraging thing to practice is not being able to locate a pick.
Ibanez
Universe UV777 Signed by Steve Vai
Prestige RG2027X with Bare Knuckle Aftermaths
RG7621 swirled
Prestige RG1420
AEL207E
ihartfood
Potato Faced Blind Man
551 IQ
^ lmao

when i started out my family bought all these books and DVDs and such for me and nothing helped. theres no human interaction and it takes some serious discipline.

rocksmith seems pretty cool for a beginner.

the BEST present would be to get him at least one lesson with a teacher.
Fisheth24
I play Bass.
6,399 IQ
Everybody here is going to give you different advice, but you need to trust us, as I've been coming here for a good three or so years (Three in March) and the people here mean well and often enough talk sense.

The only thing about getting a lesson with a teacher is that it could either make or break a kid wanting to pick up an instrument. I know when my parents tried to get me lessons (Originally) I quit straight away because the teacher wasn't very good.

Good players don't always make the best teachers, but. If he's willing to put a bit of effort in, there's plenty of good Youtube teachers out there (Justinguitar being the one I always think of) but getting a lesson might be a good start.

I'm a +1 on the Rocksmith idea, but I've not touched it. So I can't say how good it is.
crabstampede
Slowest Metal Guitarist
56 IQ
Subscription to a guitar magazine. I loved Guitar World when I was 17.
:: Peavey JSX | XXX ::
:: LTD V | Viper | AX [EMG85] ::
:: Vader 2x12 | Krankenstein 4x12 ::
:: G50 | DecimatorG-String | 95Q ::
:: Polytune | Ditto | CarbonCopy ::
JKHC
918 IQ
Quote by crabstampede
Subscription to a guitar magazine.

Quote by steven seagull
Rocksmith

That is if you want to spend ~ 50/60 quid on his present. Most guitarists would like that but I don't know how appealing a guitar magazine such as Premier Guitar* would be to beginners.

*or whatever that famous UK one is. Guitarist?
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
StrykVladzimsky
ESP through Potato
2,585 IQ
Pfft get him a Metal Hammer
Quote by luxeion
i keep asking my dad for wood. but he keeps getting annoyed (he's working on a house). and i'm too young to go outside.

trashedlostfdup
diet coke fiend.
13,607 IQ
just to echo, i have only seen one book in the last 8 or so years worth buying for me. when i was new people would give me books, and i didn't find them overly useful. the book i have is geared to more advanced blues improv.

again to echo, i loved guitar world when i was 13-17 years old. it has always been a pretty good magazine, there is enough substance to learn something, plus a lot of pictures, and fun stuff in there.

i don't really know what rocksmith is exactly, but have heard positive things about it consistently, but i can't give you a solid opinion because i haven't tried one.

that multitool recommend further up would be handy too. whenever i need to make an adjustment and i search through a bag of probably 100 allen wrenches, and hate taking the time to the right size. but keep in mind i have both metric and standard because a majority of my guitars are US guitars, with most of the remainder being from japan.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.
Arab_Philosofer
35 IQ
Half ounce of bud and maybe a wah pedal. (If you reallly love him)
Last edited by Arab_Philosofer at Jan 10, 2013,
trashedlostfdup
diet coke fiend.
13,607 IQ
Quote by Arab_Philosofer
Half ounce of bud and maybe a wah pedal. (If you reallly love him)

seriously? that is not anywhere near appropriate in this thread.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7
Blktiger0
The Name's Devon! ;)
3,630 IQ
I'm going to give Rocksmith a +1 and give books/DVD's/Lessons a -1

The issue is that Lessons generally go over stuff like Theory and Technique, which are highly likely to bore him to death. Gratned, these are important things to know, but it's more important that he stay interested in his instrument. DVD's and Books are also pretty dry and unlikely to hold his attention.

Rocksmith on the other hand is going to be a solid investment. I've been playing guitar for 15 years now, my girlfriend has been playing for about 6 years, and her little brother and Step-Dad are new to guitar. Her Step-Dad bought Rocksmith for he and his son for Christmas as something to do together, and they both thoroughly enjoyed it as novices. Then, my girlfriend and I played it, and we both thoroughly enjoyed it as intermediate and advanced players.

I think that Steven Seagull is incorrect in saying that you can't learn guitar from it. You certainly won't learn theory or advanced technique, but there is plenty to learn from it. It has excercises for most basic techinques, exercises to build muscle memory, and plenty of learning tools built in to it. He'll be learning songs that he's probably heard on the radio, and you unlock gear that you can play with, which gives you a good idea of what different gear and the various controls they have do.

Personally, I was VERY skeptical about this game when it was released, and I had heard some mixed reviews, but after seeing it and playing it myself, I'm thoroughly impressed. There is absolutely no negativity in the game such as "failing" or "difficulty levels", etc. It scales its difficulty with you, and you can miss every note in the song and there will be no mention of failing or any indication that stresses you to stop sucking.

In fact, the difficulty scaling was one thing that impressed me. I was watching my girlfriend play, and she was doing well, so it was building up more and more each time she played a riff. As she did better, it added more notes. Well, then it came to a point where she missed one or two, and half of the upcoming notes immediately dissappeared.

I really would say you can't go wrong with this. The key with new players is to keep them interested and excited, and usually, theory and technique is NOT a good way to do that. Those are things that can be built up and focued on more later, when they become a concern for him. Even then, he can find plenty of online resources, even just on this site, for learning theory, exercises, and technique.
Last edited by Blktiger0 at Jan 10, 2013,
Arab_Philosofer
35 IQ
Quote by trashedlostfdup
seriously? that is not anywhere near appropriate in this thread.

Not quite, no. The statement was inteded to be fairly tongue-in-cheek. Though the wah pedal would be a fun device for the fella to play around with. Also something to consider would be a live DVD of one of his favorite groups, watching the bands play gives a better understanding of the songs are played.
Last edited by Arab_Philosofer at Jan 10, 2013,
trashedlostfdup
diet coke fiend.
13,607 IQ
Quote by Arab_Philosofer
Not quite, no. The statement was inteded to be fairly tongue-in-cheek. Though the wah pedal would be a fun device for the fella to play around with. Also something to consider would be a live DVD of one of his favorite groups, watching the bands play gives a better understanding of the songs are played.

it was pointless and in this case (not most) shows a lack of respect to the original poster. being that he isn't on here joking and presumally joined for gift ideas, and doesn't play guitar, he is just looking for something for his nephew.

if it were some other members, i wouldn't really care, but the OP has been nothing but respectful and friendly, and IMO should be respected.

you can bitch at me all you want but there is a time and place for everything, but IMO not in this thread.

and it has nothing to do with my opinions on drugs.

wah would be fun, but i think the money would probably be spent better on the rocksmith game thing, it seems cool (i did look into it). if i were staring out i think rocksmith would be a fun thing to have.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7
ihartfood
Potato Faced Blind Man
551 IQ
handled well, sir.

to the original poster:
two things:
1) OP and TS mean the same thing and refer to you (original poster and thread starter)
2) lots of great advice has been given thus far and I hope your nephew likes his present, and stays with the instrument!
crabstampede
Slowest Metal Guitarist
56 IQ
+1 to live DVD. I used to get all set up in the living room and play along with S&M back when I lived for 'tallica
trashedlostfdup
diet coke fiend.
13,607 IQ
Quote by crabstampede
+1 to live DVD. I used to get all set up in the living room and play along with S&M back when I lived for 'tallica

that is really one of the only things in this thread that is not good idea.

there is so much on youtube, if he wants videos, and i haven't known anybody personally to benefit for them. there is a guy on youtube (i am sure he has his own site too) by the name of justinguitar that he probably covers more than any set of live DVD's.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7
greenwgreg
Rhythm Guitarist
1,337 IQ
When I first started playing I could not get enough of books and DVD's, I bought lots of them. Very few helped, although there were a few gems. As someone stated earlier, most DVD's are geared towards imtermediate and above. There are a few DVD's that would be good, however. Guitar World puts out a large number of DVD's covering various styles, most taught by Andy Aledort. I know Andy personally and he is a wonderful teacher. One title that would be good for your nephew would be their "Play Rock Guitar!" as it is broken up into three levels of beginner, intermediate, and advanced. It also is long so it covers a lot of ground. It teaches the basic chords, strumming patterns, some basic scales, vibrato, etc. Very highly recommended. The price is right, too, I think around $15.

Good luck with your gift search, your nephew is lucky. Nobody has ever bought me anything guitar related...
Fender 60th Anniv MIM Strat (SD Little 59er Br)
Agile AL-2000 Rootbeer Flame (GFS Vtg '59)
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
GFS Chorus
DS-1
Last edited by greenwgreg at Jan 11, 2013,
steven seagull
not really a seagull
1,064 IQ
Quote by Blktiger0
I'm going to give Rocksmith a +1 and give books/DVD's/Lessons a -1

The issue is that Lessons generally go over stuff like Theory and Technique, which are highly likely to bore him to death. Gratned, these are important things to know, but it's more important that he stay interested in his instrument. DVD's and Books are also pretty dry and unlikely to hold his attention.

Rocksmith on the other hand is going to be a solid investment. I've been playing guitar for 15 years now, my girlfriend has been playing for about 6 years, and her little brother and Step-Dad are new to guitar. Her Step-Dad bought Rocksmith for he and his son for Christmas as something to do together, and they both thoroughly enjoyed it as novices. Then, my girlfriend and I played it, and we both thoroughly enjoyed it as intermediate and advanced players.

I think that Steven Seagull is incorrect in saying that you can't learn guitar from it. You certainly won't learn theory or advanced technique, but there is plenty to learn from it. It has excercises for most basic techinques, exercises to build muscle memory, and plenty of learning tools built in to it. He'll be learning songs that he's probably heard on the radio, and you unlock gear that you can play with, which gives you a good idea of what different gear and the various controls they have do.

Personally, I was VERY skeptical about this game when it was released, and I had heard some mixed reviews, but after seeing it and playing it myself, I'm thoroughly impressed. There is absolutely no negativity in the game such as "failing" or "difficulty levels", etc. It scales its difficulty with you, and you can miss every note in the song and there will be no mention of failing or any indication that stresses you to stop sucking.

In fact, the difficulty scaling was one thing that impressed me. I was watching my girlfriend play, and she was doing well, so it was building up more and more each time she played a riff. As she did better, it added more notes. Well, then it came to a point where she missed one or two, and half of the upcoming notes immediately dissappeared.

I really would say you can't go wrong with this. The key with new players is to keep them interested and excited, and usually, theory and technique is NOT a good way to do that. Those are things that can be built up and focued on more later, when they become a concern for him. Even then, he can find plenty of online resources, even just on this site, for learning theory, exercises, and technique.

I've been playing 20 years and I stand by my assessment of Rocksmith, it's fun but it will not teach you how to play the guitar. That's not to say it won't help you progress, but it only really teaches you how to play Rocksmith. My biggest bugbear is the emphasis on visual cues, I know that's unavoidable in a video game but there's next to nothing in rocksmith that helps you develop your aural skills...when you play guitar you listen to determine when to play the next note, you don't wait for a spinny piece of Lego to hit a line. Because its only showing you the notes it wants you to hit you cant even visually count along the notes to the right one, its all about waiting for that block to hit, it would have been so much better if they showed you the whole song from the outset but perhaps dimmed out the ones it didnt want you to hit yet so you would know what youre working towards from the outset.

That may seem nitpicky but that really is a fundamental of learning any musical instrument. Likewise the way it scales difficulty isn't that practical, the way it gradually adds in notes works ok for sequences of repeated notes but is pretty useless for anything more complex as it starts you off full speed but with the odd note to play that you have to determine by sight, if you get it right it'll add more notes in but that doesn't really make sense as you don't start learning the actual song until you've "earned" all the notes, but even then it's still throwing everything at you at the full tempo when everyone who's ever learned to play guitar knows that the best way to learn and practice something is to start slow.

None of those things stop it being fun though and i cant see any disadvantage to a new guitarist playing the game alongside regular lessons, some of the mini games would be fun technique drills, the baseball one is quite good as it plays you the note it wants you to hit as well as showing it which is good for note recognition.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

carlaleekirby
122 IQ
Hello All,

Well thanks to everyone for their own opinions, I have certainly got a lot of things to choose from and research more.

I knew there was a lot more accessories / gadgets etc out there which may help (or hinder) my nephew, but did not know where to start looking.

trashedlostfdup, thanks for sticking up for me, yes I only came on here to get some good advice from knowledgeble experts - which is you lot !

steven seagull - thanks for your many replies.

I am really pleased that I posted the question on here now, as your online community have learnt me a few things about the world of guitars and what a great bunch of people you all are.

I may come back again in a few weeks time, when the birthday has been and gone and the guitar playing has hopefully moved up a notch or two.

A million thanks and have a great weekend all !
crabstampede
Slowest Metal Guitarist
56 IQ
Quote by trashedlostfdup
that is really one of the only things in this thread that is not good idea.

there is so much on youtube, if he wants videos, and i haven't known anybody personally to benefit for them. there is a guy on youtube (i am sure he has his own site too) by the name of justinguitar that he probably covers more than any set of live DVD's.

just for entertainment man, you're too serious.
Arab_Philosofer
35 IQ
Quote by trashedlostfdup
it was pointless and in this case (not most) shows a lack of respect to the original poster. being that he isn't on here joking and presumally joined for gift ideas, and doesn't play guitar, he is just looking for something for his nephew.

if it were some other members, i wouldn't really care, but the OP has been nothing but respectful and friendly, and IMO should be respected.

you can bitch at me all you want but there is a time and place for everything, but IMO not in this thread.

and it has nothing to do with my opinions on drugs.

wah would be fun, but i think the money would probably be spent better on the rocksmith game thing, it seems cool (i did look into it). if i were staring out i think rocksmith would be a fun thing to have.

Now that statement is innaproptiate. You are entitled to your own opinion, if you believe my statement was inappropriate that is fine. But please don't try to twist the intention of my post into something not intended. The wah pedal and DVDs are completely legitimate suggestions, I'm not here to screw with the OP as you or they may think.
Quote by carlaleekirby

trashedlostfdup, thanks for sticking up for me, yes I only came on here to get some good advice from knowledgeble experts - which is you lot !

I can say in complete earnest that in no way i intended for that to be an attack.
Last edited by Arab_Philosofer at Jan 11, 2013,
carlaleekirby
122 IQ
Ok Arab_Philosofer, I understand your point.

In actual fact I looked up wah pedals today to find out what they were. I appreciate your idea's and your comment explaining what you meant today.

Thank you !
Blktiger0
The Name's Devon! ;)
3,630 IQ
Quote by 667
Get him a copy of guitar pro....
http://www.guitar-pro.com/en/index.php

I'll +1 this, too. I have GP6 and use it everytime I play, even if it's just to make sure I'm in tune.

It's great for learning songs, scales, gear (to a small extent), and how songs are built instrument-to-instrument.

I would say it's better off for later in his "career" considering he's just starting. I would say Rocksmith is the best option, with this being second place. Rosksmith will be nice for the short run while he's starting and until he learns all of the material on it, but even if he stops playing, this could be given to others, etc. With Guitar Pro, he'll be able to make use of that for much longer, but if he gives up guitar, you can't give it to a friend, sell it, etc.