Page 2 of 3
Quote by lfcagger
Not necessarily, in the same way that a guitarist is not necessarily a musician.

Please name me a guitarist who is not a musician.
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
Quote by Hydra150
Please name me a guitarist who is not a musician.

80% of UG
Quote by Kevätuhri
Hail isn't too edgy for posts, posts are not edgy enough for Hail.

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
Tangential, but I found this hilarious:

Quote by The Michael Angelo Batio Wikipedia Article
Batio has an advanced knowledge of music theory, having a deep understanding of complex scale combinations and time signatures which assist him in his compositions. Batio has cited F-sharp minor and F-sharp phrygian dominant as one of his favorite keys. He has described F sharp minor as a "demonic" key, giving a dark, evil sound.
why does that have to be too large to sig, oh man
Quote by Kevätuhri

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
Quote by AeonOptic
Aphex Twin is very real. Look up 'windowlicker' on whatever music player you use. Never heard of the other guy though.

Uses guitar forum, has never heard of MAB.

Quote by Wesbanez

this is a music theory forum get out this is our domain and most of us don't even play guitar
Quote by Kevätuhri

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
Quote by Wesbanez

Uses guitar forum, has been playing guitar for 28 years, has passed guitar exams, is studying composition. Has never heard of MAB.

I'm sure he's a nice guy and all that but he doesn't strike me as anything special.
Quote by Hail
oh shut up with that /mu/ bullshit. fidget house shouldn't even be a genre, why in the world would it deserve its own subgenres you twat
Quote by TVeye
On appearance, it doesn't seem that hard but, admittedly, I'm not even sure what's involved. I dunno, you tell me.

If he also writes any sort of electronic music then yes.
Quote by LiquidSkies
And an arranger is not a musician?

no? if he plays an instrument then he is a musician (too), if he doesnt, then he's a... BINGO! Arranger!

even Zimmer says in an interview 'i'm a terrible musician' if I remember correctly. that means he write music, doesnt perform. Why make it all complicated and put everyone who does various things in music and name them all musician?

wouldn't the following scenario be quite obvious then?
-I'm a musician
-oh cool what do you do though?
-well I arrange music.

you just say you're an arranger
Last edited by Vendetta V at Jan 14, 2013,
I'm fascinated by the fact that 80% of the people using a guitar tab web site named Ultimate Guitar don't play guitar!
Quote by TVeye
I'm fascinated by the fact that 80% of the people using a guitar tab web site named Ultimate Guitar don't play guitar!

i only post here to spite guitarists, tablature, and people

@zimmer: the reason he says that he's a terrible musician isn't because he doesn't play an instrument. he's just a terrible musician lol
Quote by Kevätuhri

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
this is MT, boy. learn your place and go back to GT with the other inferior instrumentalists
Quote by Kevätuhri

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
A musician is one who makes music. If you're just arranging the music, then you're not a musician. If you start manipulating the sounds of the music that other people made, you're not a musician, you're a ****** who spits in the face of real musicians and says "Oh look, what you made isn't as good as i could have made it, even though i don't know music theory, don't play an instrument, can't hear intervals, don't listen to anything outside of 4/4 time (and if there was a song that isn't 4/4 time than i think it sounds out of beat) and don't plan on doing so hehehe".

As you can see, i don't think DJ's are musicians.
A person who creates sounds on a computer is a musician. In fact, i would call them composers, they are creating their own melody lines and putting them together the way they want. Just because they are using a computer doesn't mean they aren't making music. But true Disc Jockeys are not making their own music, they are using other peoples music and scratching it or slowing it down or w.e. But it isn't theirs. They are stealing it.
Quote by Hail
i only post here to spite guitarists, tablature, and people

@zimmer: the reason he says that he's a terrible musician isn't because he doesn't play an instrument. he's just a terrible musician lol

but that doesnt make him a bad composer right? he just doesnt play well

you just proved my point
Quote by Vendetta V
but that doesnt make him a bad composer right? he just doesnt play well

you just proved my point

musicians make music. instrumentalists play instruments.

and zimmer needs to get draugr'd outta this hoe, that lil bitch aint got shit on the rap game, aint got shit about nothin

@mac: what about top 40 cover bands? you try and make 4+ hours of material that's all hits and crowd pleasers. just because he has a different method of delivery (that's arguably a lot more efficient than a sound engineer + several musicians) and doesn't need to employ traditional instruments to make sounds (even if they aren't his own, though most DJs now play their own material outside of regular club/party gigs, just like most cover bands) doesn't mean he's a fake or a liar.

i mean, have you even been homeless, bro?
Quote by Kevätuhri

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
Last edited by Hail at Jan 14, 2013,
Quote by macashmack
A musician is one who makes music. If you're just arranging the music, then you're not a musician. If you start manipulating the sounds of the music that other people made, you're not a musician, you're a ****** who spits in the face of real musicians and says "Oh look, what you made isn't as good as i could have made it, even though i don't know music theory, don't play an instrument, can't hear intervals, don't listen to anything outside of 4/4 time (and if there was a song that isn't 4/4 time than i think it sounds out of beat) and don't plan on doing so hehehe".

As you can see, i don't think DJ's are musicians.
A person who creates sounds on a computer is a musician. In fact, i would call them composers, they are creating their own melody lines and putting them together the way they want. Just because they are using a computer doesn't mean they aren't making music. But true Disc Jockeys are not making their own music, they are using other peoples music and scratching it or slowing it down or w.e. But it isn't theirs. They are stealing it.

You seem a bit insecure and personal about this matter.
Quote by KG6_Steven
Is someone who drives 5-miles to work every day a race car driver? Is the kid who sits in front of a computer monitor playing a $50 flight simulator program a pilot?

No.

Is a person who spins vinyl or CDs a musician? No. It makes them a DJ. By definition, a musician is one who plays a musical instrument. Playing a CD does not make one a composer, conductor or performer of music. If that's the case, then everyone who listens to music is a musician.

I eat bread. Does that make me a baker?

this is horrendous, all of it

like you started off bad and then just explored depths of inaccuracy previously uncharted by our humble species

think i'm gonna take another couple weeks hiatus from this place, that was just

~*~mY mInD iS tWiStInGgGgGg~*~
Last edited by :-D at Jan 15, 2013,
was gonna start commenting on your "is someone" statements and their impeccable logic, but is someone who posts on a forum really an orange?
but the DJ inputs a pattern to produce a melody(hopefully). I dont think it really matters if the computer repeats the pattern so long as the DJ is trying to make a melody with that pattern.(Invalid img)(Invalid img)(Invalid img)(Invalid img)(Invalid img)
Last edited by Trevor556 at Jan 15, 2013,
Quote by Hail
and zimmer needs to get draugr'd outta this hoe, that lil bitch aint got shit on the rap game, aint got shit about nothin

Hahaha. Zimmer.

Quote by macashmack
But true Disc Jockeys are not making their own music, they are using other peoples music and scratching it or slowing it down or w.e. But it isn't theirs. They are stealing it.

I doubt any DJ spinning some records would say it's his music to begin with
And, really, they pay a lot of money to buy their records so they have a right to use them. If you sample sounds from other records, you pay money to get permission to use them. It's all perfectly legal. And the result can very well be music.

Scratching records on turntables also qualifies as a percussion instrument.

I recommend listening to DJ Shadow (esp. "Endtroducing..."), and then maybe some DJ Krush?
Yes, even the "just-blend-the-songs-together" DJ

Even like mixing songs into each other in a cool way and keeping the vibe going yes. They use the music to evoke the emotion that makes people wanna dance. They blend songs together in a way that keeps the vibe going.

Just because it 'is not their music' does not make them non musicians. Am I not a musician If I'm in a cover band? It's the same thing. A DJ would 'cover' songs at a club or something. It's why the job exists at all instead of having an iPod on shuffle.

All y'all saying that "oh it's not an instrument hurr durr" anything that makes a sound can be an instrument.

And ther est of you saying "oh lol they dont know how to music theory hurr durr". You have no clue what goes into producing tracks. I dare you to even try, most of you will probably just give up at thinking of a good melody.

And even if it's the spin-the-vinyl guy, he has to match the tempos and pitches together in a way that doesn't sound terrible, which takes ear. "They still don't know theory and that makes them unmusician hurrrrrpp", you say as you listen to your Hendrix record. I scoff at you sir.

I mean, a musician by definition is someone that makes music yeah? Don't DJs and Producers and Arrangers etc whatever do exactly that?
Quote by Cheesepuff
Just because it 'is not their music' does not make them non musicians.

Andres Segovia.
Quote by Hail
oh shut up with that /mu/ bullshit. fidget house shouldn't even be a genre, why in the world would it deserve its own subgenres you twat
I guess you can call them musicians, cause they actually make music, whether they are remixing or not.
But what i'm sure of, is that a turntable or that mixing stuff is NOT an instrument, so you would not be a player of any instrument, you'd be a mixer, or engineer, dont know exactly.

I like instrument playing musicians.
Quote by gabipe15
I guess you can call them musicians, cause they actually make music, whether they are remixing or not.
But what i'm sure of, is that a turntable or that mixing stuff is NOT an instrument, so you would not be a player of any instrument, you'd be a mixer, or engineer, dont know exactly.

I like instrument playing musicians.

Instrument: from Old English "tool, implement, utensil".

Decks are a tool for making sounds, just like a hairdryer, plastic bottle and some water are instruments if used in the right way.

A musical instrument (= a musical tool*) is anything that's used to make music, a musician is someone who is skilled in making music, and music is an art that uses sound and silence as its media.

I like musicians who write or play complex music that bears repeated listening and reveals depth when considered in the abstract. That doesn't mean Whigfield's "Saturday Night" isn't music though, even if I think (as I do) it's tedious to listen to.

* Not to be confused with Simon Cowell, who is just a tool.
Quote by Hail
Quote by TheHydra
You seem a bit insecure and personal about this matter.

Maybe a DJ stole his girl
Ever seen John Williams in concert? It's exactly like listening to one of his recordings, with the addition people coughing.

Sometimes people who play covers (which is, essentially, what JW does) don't differ in many important audible aspects from just putting on a record.

So I move that the cover band / turntable analogy is not absurd and you, sir, are an impudent fool.
Quote by Hail
U missed the point but, thanks for the insult.
Never heard of John Williams BTW.
Quote by TVeye
U missed the point but, thanks for the insult.
Never heard of John Williams BTW.

You are welcome, Sir, and may I be the first to I assure you, Sir, that I have many more finely crafted and most hateful communications awaiting by dreadful bidding.

Also - on a slightly saner note - you've never heard of John Williams? Christ I'm getting old.
Quote by Hail
Quote by Hail
you linked the wrong guy dummy

Doh

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zD4mqYbVxIo
Quote by Hail
Last edited by Sleepy__Head at Jan 21, 2013,
Why does the question matter?
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
Quote by Sleepy__Head
Also - on a slightly saner note - you've never heard of John Williams? Christ I'm getting old.

Nah, you're not old. Most people simply lack culture.
if they scratch and slide and things, then maybe... but normally if they just play music and alter bass and suddenly think they're amazing musicians, they're most definitely not.
I would say yes (assuming they do live perfomances and don't play pre recorded sets...) but the skill level is nowhere near what it takes to play an instrument or compose quality music.