Page 1 of 4
The Madcap
Classical Guitarist
9,780 IQ
There's this store opening up in my hometown called "Aldi." Upon looking at Wikipedia, apparently they're based in Germany, and most of the locations are in Europe.

I really have never seen or heard of one until now. It looks like a grocery store which is fine and dandy. But what confused me was before the structure was built, and it was just an open field, some people in my town actually protested out there, holding up signs saying to "Stop Aldi" and has a web address to petition and shit to prevent it from being built there.

Anyways, since so many of you guys are from Europe, I figured I'd ask you guys if you know anything about the stores or if you've been to one. And if so, what's so special about them? Or what would cause people to protest them? I looked online and didn't really see anything "protestable."

Or maybe you're from the US and are around one of their US locations. I don't know how many are in the US, but I've never heard or seen one.
devourke
Banned
843 IQ
Is Aldi the one where the checkout operators are fast as hell?
Horsedick.MPEG
Dot MPEG
770 IQ
I've seen a few around where I live, I've never actually been inside one, so I don't exactly have an opinion on the store.
2013 #5 Uger
2012 #7 Uger

Quote by jetfuel495
Jesus, Horsedick, you are my hero

Quote by JayT44
don't worry guys his girlfriend is black, she said it was okay for him to say that.

Stalk Me

Shitty Covers

Original Music

Lastfm
TunerAddict
Real Ass Nigga
1,184 IQ
I cannot imagine how far back in time the south is if this is the first Aldi store you've seen. It must really be the 1950s down there.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers

If women can be annoyed there arent any women incongress I should be allowed to be pissed off there are no members of pink floyd or the beatles in congress.
davrockist
UG's Spitfire
112 IQ
They're actually pretty good if you don't mind trying non-label brands. You can get some pretty decent stuff for cheap, from food to the random shit you always want to have but probably won't use.

I wouldn't say there's anything exceedingly special about it, but it's a decent store. Its main competitor is Lidl, if you've heard of them. They're both pretty much the same, although personally I think Aldi is slightly better for deals on things that could be useful.
e-married to the most fabulous Fashionista ever, Rarity
e-mom to Scootaloo, somehow
Quote by dawgeth321
Let's warm our wings, fly through the clouds, and dance in the sky, mon capitaine.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Spit is a milf

UG 8-BIT ALBUM
SoundCloud
So-Cal
Banned
264 IQ
Quote by devourke
Is Aldi the one where the checkout operators are fast as hell?

Yeah, I think the checkout staff have competitions to see who can get the fastest times, which is good for efficiency of course.
Horsedick.MPEG
Dot MPEG
770 IQ
Quote by TunerAddict
I cannot imagine how far back in time the south is if this is the first Aldi store you've seen. It must really be the 1950s down there.

You live in Maryland which is a southern state
2013 #5 Uger
2012 #7 Uger

Quote by jetfuel495

Quote by JayT44
don't worry guys his girlfriend is black, she said it was okay for him to say that.

Stalk Me

Shitty Covers

Original Music

Lastfm
jambi_mantra
Is actually English
740 IQ
It's a standard supermarket, it's just dirt cheap. They're good for buying stuff like toiletries etc
No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
TunerAddict
Real Ass Nigga
1,184 IQ
Quote by Horsedick.MPEG

I'm a NYer.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers

If women can be annoyed there arent any women incongress I should be allowed to be pissed off there are no members of pink floyd or the beatles in congress.
Gibson_SG_uzr55
DJ SNAAAAKKEEE
4,022 IQ
I wish there was an Aldi closer to me, their food is so cheap.
Quote by beadhangingOne
What happened to Snake?

Snake?

Snake?

SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE?!

Quote by TunerAddict
you can take my mouse and keyboard from my cold, slightly orange from cheetos, dead fingers

Quote by Baby Joel
Isis is amazing
sashki
6,579 IQ
Aldi and Lidl are really common in Europe. They sell mostly generic products so it ends up being pretty affordable. My dad loves them.

Are the folks protesting specifically against the Aldi chain, or generally against building a store on that piece of land?
RetroGunslinger
1,060 IQ
Probably just complaining about another big corporation taking away business from the locals. If it's anything like lidl you are in for a treat, amusingly named German brand rip offs for half the price, every item ever produced by JML, and a ever changing selection of items you don't usually find at the supermarket, such as £30 electric guitars, ski's, bags of cement or flavoured dildos.
My Gear:
BC Rich Gunslinger Retro Blade
Vintage V100 Paradise + SD Alnico Pro Slash APH-2's
1963 Burns Short Scale Jazz Guitar
Dean Performer Florentine
Bugera 6260
Orange Micro Terror + cab
Digitech Bad Monkey
Zoom G2G
Hydra150
cutebutt mcsexyface
1,793 IQ
They're like Lidl except there isn't an Aldi two minutes from my house.

I was there earlier and it was £1.89 for four pink lady apples. I could probably get a metric tonne of chocolate from that place for £1.89. So shopping there isn't advised if yer on a diet.

I've applied for a job there in the past, I understand they don't treat their workers well and overwork them though (this is lidl I'm talking about, I kinda think of them as the same thing).
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
Last edited by Hydra150 at Jan 11, 2013,
jthm_guitarist
"funny" but "unmemorable"
1,474 IQ
Never heard of it.

Edit: seems to be an Eastern thing.

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
Last edited by jthm_guitarist at Jan 11, 2013,
Sonny_sam
But just call me Sam!
645 IQ
They used to sell chocolate made with 80% cocoa, which you'd think would make it really rich, but it was actually the nicest chocolate I've ever tasted, and it was cheap!
From what I understand their staff get paid a fair bit more than the average supermarket staff and the company offer decent incentives for speed through checkouts and stuff like that.
I don't have any idea why people would be protesting over it though, unless it's just the general reduction of green space?
Quote by griffRG7321
become a circumsizer, you get like £60,000 a year + tips.

Quote by Flying Couch
Because I'm not aerodynamic. All the other airborne furniture laugh at me.

LIKE PORTISHEAD?
jambi_mantra
Is actually English
740 IQ
Quote by Weaponized
Tired of these nazi supermarkets taking jobs away from AMERICANS.

you make it sound as if they import a load of German teenagers to work the tills as well
No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
sashki
6,579 IQ
Quote by jambi_mantra
you make it sound as if they import a load of German teenagers to work the tills as well

Every Aldi I've ever been to is full of everyone but Germans. Seriously, everyone there is foreign. It makes me feel better about being a filthy immigrant myself.
CoreysMonster
Banned
8,557 IQ
Quote by jambi_mantra

Yes, and each Aldi store comes with it's very own trio of these guys:

wyldething
Is A Good Thing
12 IQ
Aldi is owned by the same people that own Trader Joe's. Its' a similar concept; lots of frozen foods, boxed stuff, pre-packaged things.

It's where all the Somalians in Minneapolis shop. It's like Little Mogadishu.
Quote by jimmy hendrix 2
Don't argue with my new deity.
Angus_Junior35
Is a Girl?
2,618 IQ
Aldi is ****ing awesome. 99c Arizona tea for 79c. Mostly generic brands, but it's so ****ing cheap and awesome.
Quote by silhouettica
Oh, DON'T use a knife. It cuts through your strings. I did that once, thinking, its the Low E, its invincible. Turns out, its not...

Quote by Kensai
Awesome
TunerAddict
Real Ass Nigga
1,184 IQ
Quote by Horsedick.MPEG
Even worse

If you mean worse, as in, have better education, more money, and are just flat out better people than you which makes you jealous and suicidal, then yes, we are worse.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers

wyldething
Is A Good Thing
12 IQ
Quote by TunerAddict
If you mean worse, as in, have better education, more money, and are just flat out better people than you which makes you jealous and suicidal, then yes, we are worse.

You guys also have that whole defensivism thing going for you.

So...there's that.
Quote by jimmy hendrix 2
sebastian_96
Spared no expense
1,209 IQ

Sorry, I know different parts of the world have different things going on, but Aldi is a household name here. It's strange to hear someone who has no idea what it is.

It's a store that stocks awesomely cheap generic brands. Whenever I move out and have to do groceries, you damn well know it will be at Aldi. Buy in bulk and save money. Win win!

Anyone who protests it are dumbasses. Yeah, go ahead, pay more for your junk.
Some people like cupcakes exclusively, while myself, I say there is naught nor ought there be nothing so exalted on the face of God's grey Earth as that prince of foods:

the muffin!
tukk04
UG's Neil Young
1,076 IQ
Quote by Angus_Junior35
Aldi is ****ing awesome. 99c Arizona tea for 79c. Mostly generic brands, but it's so ****ing cheap and awesome.

as he ^ said, Aldi's are awesome; good generic food for cheap.

Sadly, US ones don't have the goofy German named products.

And if you go, bring a quarter, you'll need one for the shopping cart lock. You get it back after the cart is put back though.
TunerAddict
Real Ass Nigga
1,184 IQ
Quote by wyldething

So...there's that.

Quote by jrcsgtpeppers

wyldething
Is A Good Thing
12 IQ
Quote by TunerAddict

Quote by jimmy hendrix 2
So-Cal
Banned
264 IQ
Quote by wyldething

So...there's that.

If you insult a persons hometown you're probably going to get some kind of backlash.
TunerAddict
Real Ass Nigga
1,184 IQ
I was being facetious.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers

Horsedick.MPEG
Dot MPEG
770 IQ
Quote by TunerAddict

Is tr00 jelly man
2013 #5 Uger
2012 #7 Uger

Quote by jetfuel495

Quote by JayT44

Stalk Me

Shitty Covers

Original Music

Lastfm
wyldething
Is A Good Thing
12 IQ
Neat.
Quote by jimmy hendrix 2
devourke
Banned
843 IQ
Quote by Skullivan
They sell shopping carts for 25 cents.

Do they actually? I would buy so many shopping carts if I lived there.
Mr.-Bungle
Mr. Bungle
242 IQ
It's pretty good, I like how they don't pack your items into plastic bags. They just scan them through and slide them down the moving ramp and you have to pack them into your trolley or your own plastic bags yourself.
institutions
TUNNEL SNAKES RULE
95 IQ
Is store with cheap, decent tasting off-brand foods.
I like.

They don't do bags or anything though.
You've gotta bring your own boxes or smth to keep the items in.
You can also use the empty ones you find on shelves.

It feels really lower class, but
Eastwinn
through being cool
3,131 IQ
Quote by Horsedick.MPEG

why don't you say that to my face
Hydra150
cutebutt mcsexyface
1,793 IQ
Quote by institutions

They don't do bags or anything though.
You've gotta bring your own boxes or smth to keep the items in.

They have bags over here, but we're a first world country.
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do