What do you think would be a good all rounder rig for metal, rock, post-rock, ambient, etc.? I also want the amp to be able to djent, and the clean channel has to be very clean.

What I was planning on doing was getting a Mesa Dual/Triple Rec (triple might be way too loud for me) and maybe a TC G-Major or some other rackmount effects processor.

Would it be a better idea to get individual pedals instead of a multi effects processor? Would a different amp suit me better?

In case anyone wants to know, I'd be running a Fender Tele/Strat for the post-rock/ambient stuff, and an ESP Viper with EMG 81/85 for the metal stuff, but possibly some of the ambient stuff.

Any suggestions are welcome, but I don't want it to be too expensive.
Guitars:
LTD Viper 300FM
Jackson DX10D
MIM Tele
MIM Strat
Amps:
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe - Stock Eminence Legend
Peavey Ultra Plus 120 Watt Head
Rivera R412T - Loaded with Celestion V30s
Pedals:
Boss NS-2
TC Flashback X4
TC Trinity Reverb
"Don't want it to be too expensive".

Yet you're looking at Mesa and high-end TC. What the hell is too expensive?
By too expensive I mean obscure amps that cost upwards of $3k. I'd be buying almost everything used anyways.
Guitars:
LTD Viper 300FM
Jackson DX10D
MIM Tele
MIM Strat
Amps:
Pedals:
Boss NS-2
TC Flashback X4
TC Trinity Reverb
The EVH 5150iii 50w is a Bad MoFo!!
Road King II.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
5153...add Line 6 M13 with Mission Engineering pedal and you're done.
Ibanez RGT6 EXFX
Fender American Stratocaster
Epiphone Slash Goldtop Les Paul
Carvin DC-135
Washburn G-5V
Taylor 214CEG

EVH 5150 III
Peavey 6505+
Line 6 Flextone III
50s Valco Supro
+1 to everything suggested.

TS, you're literally spoiled for choice. Get out and try some stuff out.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
With that many different sounds, you actually might want to consider a rack pre/power amp setup. I know nothing about those in any way, shape, or form (barebones guitar ->pedulz -> AC30 guy), but I do know that with the proper setup you can have a rig that gives virtually endless tonal possibilities that can be entirely MIDI controlled. Which is freaking awesome.
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Last edited by Natrone at Jan 14, 2013,
I was also thinking along the lines of an AXE-FX 2, but I don't think $3k in total with the MFC is plausible for me. I'm kind of weary of the 5150 III because the 5150s were known to have shit cleans, has it changed on this new one? Mark V's are out because I can't find any used, I'm hoping to try and get everything I buy used.
Guitars:
LTD Viper 300FM
Jackson DX10D
MIM Tele
MIM Strat
Amps:
Pedals:
Boss NS-2
TC Flashback X4
TC Trinity Reverb
The 5150 III is a completely different amp. To the point that I actually wished EVH just gave it a new name. All of the channels are excellent. Perhaps not voiced right for everyone, but there's nothing "bad" about it.

I thought about recommending the Axe FX II, but didn't for the same reason, it + a poweramp + a controller would almost certainly go over $3K. But if you don't mind stretching, it might be a better option than a traditional amp. It's certainly a king of true versatility.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by emerald876
I was also thinking along the lines of an AXE-FX 2, but I don't think $3k in total with the MFC is plausible for me. I'm kind of weary of the 5150 III because the 5150s were known to have shit cleans, has it changed on this new one? Mark V's are out because I can't find any used, I'm hoping to try and get everything I buy used.

The 5150 is a Fender amp now.....Very Good clean channel!
Quote by emerald876

The 5150 III has some pretty nice cleans. It's not made by Peavey, but by Fender. If you doubt that it has good high gain sounds, both guys in Unearth use it for the newer stuff. With all of that said, I recommend the Mesa Boogie Tremoverb if you want to go Mesa for not so much. It has a nice clean channel and that nice growly sound that you expect out of a Dual Rec, but it's a bit more articulate. If you can afford it the Roadking or Roadster suggestions would be nice. You might like the Orange Rockerverb 50/100 mkII, because you can audition different tubes to stiffen or soften the tone up. It's a different flavor of gain though. Good cleans, but it needs to be cranked to get the crunch really going tonewise.
Fender Telecaster
DeArmond M series
Vox Night Train 15 head w/Weber loaded 1x12
Ernie Ball Volume Jr
Joyo Sweet Baby OD
Fulltone Fulldrive 2 MOSFET
TC Electronic Nova Delay
Line 6 M5
Keep in mind that if you're planning on using a lot of FX, you're going to have to mod any old (pre-2010 I think) Mesas, because they have parallel loops that don't play nice with FX.

The new Rectifier "Reborn", Roadster and Road King II are all fair game for plug and play.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by emerald876
I was also thinking along the lines of an AXE-FX 2, but I don't think $3k in total with the MFC is plausible for me.

Look at it's competitor, the Kemper KPA? Could do the KPA + midi controller + powered cab/wedge/whatever for $3k. Or a used AxeFX Ultra + goodies.

As for effects, you'll get better quality effects with good pedals, but the trade off is the foot tap dancing to turn on/off the right ones :P I'm not huge into effects, so I'd choose ease of use :P I'm using a POD HD500 as a midi controller for my KPA. At least until Kemper comes out with their foot controller.
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs
For post-rock/hard rock/metal I use a Mesa F-50 (discontinued) and a pedalboard. Great cleans, great drive. I also use a Laney GH50L when I'm feelin' a little bit British. I've also got an Ampeg V2 in the shop getting fixed up. So for ambient stuff...you can use anything really. I get great tones out all of those and they are all very different amps.

If you can try and nail the tone of 3 bands, what bands would they be?
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Quote by Cathbard
So this is out of the running?

http://www.cecamps.com/main/amplifiers/brigand/

If you can afford that ^, buy it.

you beat me to it.

it should be in the running. that thing is redic. unfortunately he won't find one used unless he kills an owner.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Quote by LaidBack
For post-rock/hard rock/metal I use a Mesa F-50 (discontinued) and a pedalboard. Great cleans, great drive. I also use a Laney GH50L when I'm feelin' a little bit British. I've also got an Ampeg V2 in the shop getting fixed up. So for ambient stuff...you can use anything really. I get great tones out all of those and they are all very different amps.

If you can try and nail the tone of 3 bands, what bands would they be?

For the different genres,

Post-Rock - Explosions in the Sky/Godspeed You! Black Emperor
Djent - Periphery
Metal - Parkway Drive or Killswitch Engage
Guitars:
LTD Viper 300FM
Jackson DX10D
MIM Tele
MIM Strat
Amps:
Pedals:
Boss NS-2
TC Flashback X4
TC Trinity Reverb
The 5150 III would be great for all of that.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Hunt your used market for a good deal on either a Mesa Boogie Roadster or a Road King. I feel like you should be be able to get those range of sounds. Maybe put a tubescreamer in front and back the amp gain down a bit for the djenty stuff. Or again...you can go with the ever faithfully suggested 5150 III. The cleans can do post/rock and you have enough gain and clarity to play djent or metal/core stuff.
Fender Telecaster
DeArmond M series
Ernie Ball Volume Jr
Joyo Sweet Baby OD
TC Electronic Nova Delay
Line 6 M5
Last edited by sg4ever at Jan 16, 2013,
Mesa Boogie Roadster, if you've got that kind of money to blow. Mine was 2 years old, got it for $1600, but it was a combo (2x12). As mentioned, grab a tubescreamer, and a good EQ pedal.
I'd go for a 5150 III as well...maybe even an ENGL Savage (I think that's the one I'm thinking of). A Mesa Boogie Road King wouldn't be a bad choice either...just get the second version with the Lonestar's clean channel...
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Anyone know how the Carvin V3 is? I'm looking at one on my local craigslist.
Guitars:
LTD Viper 300FM
Jackson DX10D
MIM Tele
MIM Strat
Amps:
Pedals:
Boss NS-2
TC Flashback X4
TC Trinity Reverb
Quote by emerald876
Anyone know how the Carvin V3 is? I'm looking at one on my local craigslist.

IMO, good for general prog, not good for modern prog (djent) or modern metal (core) in general. Kinda like the JSX... lacks the proper low end charactersitics.

You can make it work with a boost and an EQ, like most things, but I'd rather have a 5150 III by far for what you want to do.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I just don't have any way to test out the 5150 III. No local stores carry it around here. Otherwise I'd try one out.

EDIT : And speaking of the JSX, I was considering getting one. There's something about it that's making me think twice about picking one up though. Probably because it doesn't have a gritty enough gain for me.
Guitars:
LTD Viper 300FM
Jackson DX10D
MIM Tele
MIM Strat
Amps:
Pedals:
Boss NS-2
TC Flashback X4
TC Trinity Reverb
Last edited by emerald876 at Jan 26, 2013,
The deeper you fall down the gear hole, the less and less you'll be able to try out. It's just a simple fact we all deal with.

Get one used - if you don't like it, sell it for what you bought it for, break even.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
That's the thing, I haven't seen any on my local craigslist.

Can anyone chime in on what they think of the Egnater Vengeance?
Guitars:
LTD Viper 300FM
Jackson DX10D
MIM Tele
MIM Strat
Amps:
Pedals:
Boss NS-2
TC Flashback X4
TC Trinity Reverb
It's a nice amp. You won't necessarily have your live versatility with two channels, unless you set your lead channel backed off a bit and boost it for the heavier stuff. I'd go for the Armageddon, which is essentially the same amp (similar), but with 3 channels and a couple more options.
Fender Telecaster
DeArmond M series
Ernie Ball Volume Jr
Joyo Sweet Baby OD
TC Electronic Nova Delay
Line 6 M5
I found a Peavey Ultra Plus on craigslist for about $250, but it needs to be retubed. Is this a good amp? Most importantly, can it djent?
Guitars:
LTD Viper 300FM
Jackson DX10D
MIM Tele
MIM Strat
Amps:
Pedals:
Boss NS-2
TC Flashback X4
TC Trinity Reverb
It lights up. Who cares what it sounds like.

But honestly, I like it a bit, it's kind of fizzy. At least what I've heard from it - might be cured with good tubes?

It's the predecessor of the XXX - meaning it's pretty bright, really excels at classic metal tones, not much of a modern metal machine. I'm not an expert on djent tone by any means, but it could probably do a good job if you hit it with really hot pickups and you EQ it right.

For straight up modern metal tones I'd keep looking though...

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
From videos that I've seen, it nails modern metal pretty well. Does it have an active EQ like the XXX? Plus, the clean channel sounds better than a 6505, or a XXX.
Guitars:
LTD Viper 300FM
Jackson DX10D
MIM Tele
MIM Strat
Amps:
Pedals:
Boss NS-2
TC Flashback X4
TC Trinity Reverb
Of course those are my opinions and observations - you liking it is the bottom line.

With an amp like that, we already know it's amazing quality (Peavey MIA), so I'd say it's worth just taking a chance on. You're not going to lose any resale value if you want to flip it later.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I really don't know now. I'm considering going the modeler route through a poweramp and a cab, or maybe an ENGL e530 preamp into a poweramp, but I just can't decide.
Guitars:
LTD Viper 300FM
Jackson DX10D
MIM Tele
MIM Strat
Amps:
Pedals:
Boss NS-2
TC Flashback X4
TC Trinity Reverb
Bump. I think I'm not trying to go for a "universal" amp anymore. I have my Hot Rod Deluxe that can do amazing cleans, so I'm trying to go for an acceptable clean channel, with a beastly distortion channel. I'm considering any amp still, I was thinking a Peavey XXX.

I really don't know what I want anymore. Just rattle off suggestions and I'll check them out. I'd be pretty much just running whatever amp I get through a cab with Celestion V30s.
Guitars:
LTD Viper 300FM
Jackson DX10D
MIM Tele
MIM Strat
Amps:
Pedals:
Boss NS-2
TC Flashback X4
TC Trinity Reverb
Egnater Vengeance, Egnater Armageddon, Mesa Boogie Tremoverb, Mesa Boogie Roadster, Mesa Boogie Mark V, Orange Rockerverb 50/100, Orange TH30, Peavey JSX, EVH 5150 III and 5150 III mini (not Peavey 5150), ENGL Fireball, ENGL Power Ball II, ENGL Savage, Peavey 6534 (better cleans than 6505), Jet City JCA50 and 100, Krank Rev Jr Pro 50, Krank Chadwick 2 channel, etc. Search used. Some of these have only an acceptable clean, but some of these have a killer clean sound that will be a nice contrast to your Fender Hot Rod Deluxe.
Fender Telecaster
DeArmond M series
Ernie Ball Volume Jr
Joyo Sweet Baby OD
TC Electronic Nova Delay
Line 6 M5
^ IMO the 6505+ can get better cleans than the 6534+. Might just be taste though.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X