TJWhonley
978 IQ
hi guys.
im after a head that i can get everything out of (i know, but i play in both a jazz band and a lamb of god/killswitch tribute act)
i was looking at the marshall jvm 410h as a starting point.
needs at least 50 watts.
i already have a cab (marshall 1960a) and a les paul standard, as well as a decent pedalboard.
im upgrading from a vht lead 20 (not enough power, too heavy, not enough gain, and generally sounds crap)
won't go used for insurance purposes.
any suggestions welcome
Last edited by TJWhonley at Jan 14, 2013,
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl
2,967 IQ
how heavy is too heavy?
Quote by classicrocker01
Only on UG would I say I got engaged and bought a jet city and get congratulated on the amp

Tremolo Bum
Addicted to FR
1,607 IQ
Sounds like a mesa mark iv might be your best option.

Jackson RR3 Rhoads and DK2M Dinky
Peavey 6505+ w/ Avatar 212 cab
Ibanez TS9, ISP Decimator, MXR 10 Band EQ
-Digitech RP1000
loki_lulamen
UG's Sound Guy
862 IQ
well if your current head is too heavy, the JVM is nigh on 30 kilos.

its very british sounding for the metal you are playing but with the right EQ it will get heavy enough.

Carvin V3M would be worth a look at. Lunchbox size, nuff gain, 3 channels, 50w
My Rig:
Maverick F-1, Ibanez RG1527, Schecter Omen 8
Marshall JVM 410H,
Hand built 4x12 w/ V30s
Current board:
PXL LIVE
TU2
WHAMMY IV
MXR M132
MXR M101
TIMMY
NS2
MXR M108
XOTIC EP
TC DREAMSCAPE
DL8
TJWhonley
978 IQ
as in weight; it was back breaking, the fact it has no carry handles make it so arkward on your posture, meaning yourback was constantly slumped whenever you carry it. and im not weak, ive played rugby since i was 5, and this is like the same area in concrete! it must have been at least 40kg!(wtf)
as in music; NEVER TOO HEAVY!!!
Last edited by TJWhonley at Jan 14, 2013,
TJWhonley
978 IQ
Quote by Tremolo Bum
Sounds like a mesa mark iv might be your best option.

mesa's are gold dust and stupidly expensive in the uk, as are carvins and (to a lesser extent) peaveys
FatalGear41
War Mastiff!!!
1,381 IQ
Since you are in the U.K., take a look at Laney's new Ironheart. It got great reviews in Premier Guitar, and Laney makes good stuff.
"Drinking is a skill and should be recognized as such!"

Quote by gregs1020
FatalGear41 knows the ways of the obscure. I hear it's just not with Gibsons. Beware, Halloween approaches...

Quote by Spaz91
DAMNIT FATALGEAR YOU RUINED MUH FLOW!
Robbgnarly
Tab Contributor
1,177 IQ
Krank 1980/1980Jr50watt
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
TJWhonley
978 IQ
Quote by FatalGear41
Since you are in the U.K., take a look at Laney's new Ironheart. It got great reviews in Premier Guitar, and Laney makes good stuff.
theyre only about £500 over here, give or take. i was wanting to get something a little more high end. thanks tho
loki_lulamen
UG's Sound Guy
862 IQ
the V3M goes for about £700 new dude. with a £1200 budget you are laughing.

but then again, you wont go used...
My Rig:
Marshall JVM 410H,
Hand built 4x12 w/ V30s
Current board:
PXL LIVE
TU2
WHAMMY IV
MXR M132
MXR M101
TIMMY
NS2
MXR M108
XOTIC EP
TC DREAMSCAPE
DL8
FatalGear41
War Mastiff!!!
1,381 IQ
In that case, how much would a Hiwatt Hi-Gain set you back? They're truly fantastic amplifiers.
"Drinking is a skill and should be recognized as such!"

Quote by gregs1020
FatalGear41 knows the ways of the obscure. I hear it's just not with Gibsons. Beware, Halloween approaches...

Quote by Spaz91
DAMNIT FATALGEAR YOU RUINED MUH FLOW!
TJWhonley
978 IQ
what do you guys think to either;
the jvm 410
or
the blackstar series one 6l6
both 4 channel 100 watt heads
cheers=D
loki_lulamen
UG's Sound Guy
862 IQ
Jvm
My Rig:
Marshall JVM 410H,
Hand built 4x12 w/ V30s
Current board:
PXL LIVE
TU2
WHAMMY IV
MXR M132
MXR M101
TIMMY
NS2
MXR M108
XOTIC EP
TC DREAMSCAPE
DL8
Tom 1.0
Hot For Teacher
6,308 IQ
Why can't you go used?
Quote by Lemoninfluence
I'm not familiar with police procedures.

1977 Burny FLG70
TJWhonley
978 IQ
Quote by Tom 1.0
Why can't you go used?

insuring the gear in the uk goes through the roof if its used and not under warranty etc.
Tom 1.0
Hot For Teacher
6,308 IQ
How would they know?
Quote by Lemoninfluence

1977 Burny FLG70
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl
2,967 IQ
to be fair, i'm guessing he doesn't want to get done for insurance fraud. which is fair enough. there's not much point in saving money by going used only to spend it on more insurance (assuming what he says is correct... i haven't looked into insurance, but i'm sure what he's saying is correct).

how heavy is too heavy? weight-wise, i mean. that vht lead 20 seemed to be 26kg if i remember correctly (i looked it up earlier). some of the higher end/more featured valve amp heads are pushing that kind of weight, so it is worth bearing in mind.
Quote by classicrocker01
Only on UG would I say I got engaged and bought a jet city and get congratulated on the amp

Tom 1.0
Hot For Teacher
6,308 IQ
Oh yeah I know, was just curious as to how they could check.

I know some brands have transferable warranties, such as peavey.

I would say maybe look into ENGL but with 1200 you wont get a decent one new.
Quote by Lemoninfluence

1977 Burny FLG70
TJWhonley
978 IQ
like i say, with the weight, its more the poor design that makes it more of a chore than it accouaaly is. I lug PA and cabs fine, but they have proper built in carry handles. besides, im not too fussed. i bench 100kg its just the inconvinience of that particular amp that made it not nesceceralily difficult, but a chore.
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl
2,967 IQ
^^ i'm guessing they could just ask for your receipt etc. Yeah the transferable warranty thing is a good point.

you can get a retro tube (no idea what that one's like) or blackmore for under his budget (on thomann). but yeah teh savage and things like that are more like £1500+.

EDIT: ^ ah ok
Quote by classicrocker01

jimbob78
887 IQ
Last year, I insured my Tyler, DGT, Luke, Les Paul Standard, 5153, Boogie MK2, 3k JBL system, acoustic and more for £52 extra on my home insurance. This included use at gigs too. Most of that I got used.

5153 would be a great option for you as it goes too.
Quote by Skraeling86
That's a lot of booze. Frankly, I'm impressed. You're of a stronger timber than the average man, jimbob! Hail you.

Quote by Bubban
Yes you should go to a doctor, fucking moron. We can't do anything about your hemorrhoid.

Blktiger0
The Name's Devon! ;)
3,630 IQ
I'm not sure on prices over there, but the two amps I recommend for "do-it-all" amps in that price bracket are:

EVH 5150 III Mini (50w version)
Egnater Vengeance

Those both go for around $1100 new in the US, so with your currency being worth more, that SHOULD account for price differences, but that doesn't mean it will.

IMO, those are the two best amps in that price range, with the difference coming down to preference. I'm not a big fan of the JVM, though, FWIW. I think the Vengeance will be closer to what you want in this case, but if not, the 5153 should cover anything you dislike about the Vengeance.
TJWhonley
978 IQ
Can anyone in the uk reccomend a good shop for amps?
yorkshire would help
(bit off tangent I know)
btw the vengence doesnt really have the in between sounds i need ie. jimmy page, to earlier sabbath, thanks for the suggestion though. it sounds great though, just not what I want. Im struggling to find anywhere in the UK thats stocking the peavey at the moment
Tom 1.0
Hot For Teacher
6,308 IQ
Its not a peavey amp.

Its built by EVH.
Quote by Lemoninfluence

1977 Burny FLG70
TJWhonley
978 IQ
sorry, didnt even realise *duh*
I suppose it was just a subconcious connection I made.
Tom 1.0
Hot For Teacher
6,308 IQ
Easy mistake mate.

Its probably your safest bet.
Quote by Lemoninfluence

1977 Burny FLG70
Blktiger0
The Name's Devon! ;)
3,630 IQ
Quote by TJWhonley
yorkshire would help
(bit off tangent I know)
btw the vengence doesnt really have the in between sounds i need ie. jimmy page, to earlier sabbath, thanks for the suggestion though. it sounds great though, just not what I want. Im struggling to find anywhere in the UK thats stocking the peavey at the moment

If it was you dialing in the Egnater, then you're doing it wrong. If it was videos, then you obviously weren't watching videos of people showing you all that it can do. The Vengeance can easily do lower gain stuff like that. In fact, Sabbath is incredibly easy to nail on it, and I've got plenty of good Zeppelin sounds from it.

Although the 5153 is EVH, I believe it's made by Fender, although I don't what that would affect for you.
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl
2,967 IQ
thomann might have the 5153 mini cheaper than shops in the UK. You'd need a uk kettle lead, though. EDIT: i haven't tried it, though, that's not a recommendation on my part.
Quote by classicrocker01

jimbob78
887 IQ
I'd go for the 100 watt, as the shared controls on the first 2 channels would really bug me. It's not that heavy an amp. I use it for everything, from quiet cheesy duo gigs to loud rock gigs.
Quote by Skraeling86
That's a lot of booze. Frankly, I'm impressed. You're of a stronger timber than the average man, jimbob! Hail you.

Quote by Bubban
Yes you should go to a doctor, fucking moron. We can't do anything about your hemorrhoid.

AndyGray
UG Addict
1,267 IQ
I'd really consider looking at the Hayden Mofo 100. Well within your budget and produces from fantastic jazz sounds. Can cope with heavy music too.
Tom 1.0
Hot For Teacher
6,308 IQ
What the fu...?
Quote by Lemoninfluence

1977 Burny FLG70
bobrich74
122 IQ
Quote by TJWhonley
yorkshire would help
(bit off tangent I know)

If you are after something Hiwatt style I (know they did the JP model) this guy Elektrik Amps has just started making custom built amps. Not a shop but a great amp maker. Might be worth checking him out
shredftw
Back from the dead
1,679 IQ
5153 50 watt rapes pretty much everything, however the Blackstar s1 200 is also very good. Its the only blackstar i've ever liked.

JVM is nice too, it hits the versatile button very well. Either one of those three will be great if you're going for brand new rather than used.
Tom Anderson Guitarworks

Mayones Guitars

Suhr Guitars

Mesa Boogie

Friedman Amplification

Fractal Audio Systems

Quote by Bladed-Vaults
*Bane voice* ahhh yes. The br00tz, I was born with it. Molded by it. I didnt know of the light until I was already a man.