Page 1 of 3
I took in 3 strays that should have been put to pasture. Both Blue Voodoos were dead or almost dead and the Mesa was shredded by a dog.

First off- the Black tolex BV I have had for over a year now. It's been modified multiple times and is finally were it needs to be sound wise. Not to mention put back together for the last time. Big thanks to ECistheBest- "shot" gave some great suggestions that worked beautifully.

I bought a Mesa 4x12 cab for fairly cheap as guys dog tore it up pretty badly. V30's were intact.

Shredded up:

Next up- another dead BV. This was a blue tolex model. It's torn apart waiting in a new volume potentiometer. Its basically stock but will be modified more as it sucks and is WAY too bright with V30s. Horribly shrill. :shudder:

I found a 5150 that needed a little help. Power tubes were shit and making noise. Kid was going to college so I snatched it. New 6L6 and 2 power tube retainer clips later (plus some rivets, as the KT88s that were fitted necessitated their removal) its perfect. Mean as hell. Very loud, not a neighbor friendly amp. I love the sounds its capable of. I like the gain around noon, if you turn it up it just compresses, which can be good if thats what you are after. With the gain around noon its just brutal.

Pedulz-

First the Malekko Ekko 616- I think its the mark I version but I don't know or care. I am not a pedal *****. Its a nice echo that can be nearly transparent with a wide range of adjustability. I like it.

Boss BS-2- I have the threshold and decay all the way up with no tone loss. I haven't even ran it in the X pattern yet as it hasn't been needed. It kills all ambient hiss just going to the input of the amp. Sometimes I feel there is a slight delay before the noise drops off right after playing along with a slight delay of sound after you have been stopped. I am sure that can be tweaked with the threshold and delay but for the time being it doesn't bother me.

I am happy I purchased both pedals. I have used an ISP in the past and like it, the NS-2 was a better value for me when it came to purchase.

Group shot

EDIT: so no one thinks I am hiding the work the dog performed.

Any questions ask away.

Update: Blue Tolex one complete

Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
Last edited by R45VT at Jan 18, 2013,
Sick haul dude I'm quite fond the 616 as well, really liked it when I've used it.
Quote by telemetal
Sick haul dude I'm quite fond the 616 as well, really liked it when I've used it.

Chip46 gave the suggestion. Glad he did otherwise I would have ended up with the MXR.

Thanks Chip

And thanks Mmolterx - technical conversations let to a bad coupling capacitor diagnosis in e blue tolex BV.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
Chip (Dustin) is quite fond the 616 indeed I do like the MXR too, just depends on the purpose of the delay.
sounds like good day, a lot better than mine.

who ever owned that mesa should have bought their cat one of those carpeted scratcher things lol.

HNGD.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
HNCD, HNAD, HNAD, H high gain NAD, HNPD, HNPD!!

That Mesa cab came out looking great!
Quote by Dunning~Kruger
Yes I was rude, and I was aggressive and I was offending a large group of people. But I was civlized about it.

Taylor 414CE
Did you fix the grille cloth on the Mesa or just hide it behind that table?
Quote by Roc8995

Die troll

Dean VMNTX (EMG set)
Peavey 6505+ 112
+ a buncha teh pedlulz
and HNGD
Die troll

Dean VMNTX (EMG set)
Peavey 6505+ 112
+ a buncha teh pedlulz
Quote by Roc8995

Bad placement for that photo. It's my OT load for testing the amps.

Glory shot.

Quote by DeathByDestroyr
Nice!
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
Wow that's a great haul. So you repaired the Mesa then? Looks good as new!
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
Quote by R45VT
Bad placement for that photo. It's my OT load for testing the amps.

Glory shot.

nice work
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
I fought with the Tolex and almost blew the condo complex apart as well. Damn fumes from the contact cement were horrible, not to mention flammable. Water heater was in the garage were I did the work- which was done outside but after airing it out for 2 hours I had brought it in. A bit later I went downstairs and got a whiff of the fumes.... Had to get 2 fans out and ended leaving the cab on the balcony for 2 days.

The Tolex had bubbles in it when I was laying it down and glueing. Looked freaking horrible. I was super pissed and decided to walk away before I did anything rash. Came back and hour later and all the bubbles were gone. Tolex was flat as can be with no wrinkles. It was as if an elf had come down and repaired it. Seriously.

My regret was not making the seem at the upper corners. I would have looked a ton better. For whatever reason I didn't want to pull the corners off. Live and learn.

Bubbles and wrinkles right about the time I wanted to burn it.

And looking directly at it you don't even notice it.

Quote by DeathByDestroyr
Last edited by R45VT at Jan 15, 2013,
It looks great. What a steal! You should buy that dog something to chew on now that his old toy is gone.
Quote by Roc8995
It looks great. What a steal! You should buy that dog something to chew on now that his old toy is gone.

Yeah hopefully he chews on the guys dual rec so I can get that off of him cheap.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
excellent work
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by R45VT
My regret was not making the seem at the upper corners. I would have looked a ton better. For whatever reason I didn't want to pull the corners off. Live and learn.

that's the lesson you were supposed to learn on this one. now you know.

great job with the tolex and grill. it's not easy.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by gregs1020
that's the lesson you were supposed to learn on this one. now you know.

great job with the tolex and grill. it's not easy.

2x12 build is getting there but I haven't worked on it for 2 weeks. It won't even need corners after the job I did on that Mesa. Good practice.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
Parts finally arrived from Crate. I was able to get 2 replacement knobs for the blue tolex and and an emblem for the black one.

Blue one will be finished tonight.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
Got it back together.

Quote by DeathByDestroyr
Wow! Excellent grabs! HNeverythingD!

Tons of new toys to play with

I've always kinda wanted one of the 300w Blue Voodoos, just because that's ridiculous headroom that nobody would ever need, and it would be an awesome Thrash/Groove amp, and probably not a bad Sludge amp with a Fuzz involved. It would certainly be a fun modding platform.

Nice job on the Cab, too. If you ever felt restless, you could always re-do that side up to the corner pieces, but I think it looks fine as is. Certainly an improvement from the post-dog version. Grill cloth looks perfect.
The 300 BVs have 6 6550 power tubes, talk about expensive to retube.

I am done messing with that cab. Someone will get a good deal on it. I can't stand V30s. To harsh on the high end. It will be on Craigslist soon as I don't need it for a speaker load anymore now that both the turds are done.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
Quote by R45VT
The 300 BVs have 6 6550 power tubes, talk about expensive to retube.

I am done messing with that cab. Someone will get a good deal on it. I can't stand V30s. To harsh on the high end. It will be on Craigslist soon as I don't need it for a speaker load anymore now that both the turds are done.

Honestly, as much as I would play it, it would probably only need a re-tube once every 3 - 5 years

It would mostly just be there as a backup and something for me to play with without having to worry about f***ing it up right before a gig, etc.

Just curious, but how much did you get that cab for, and how much are you gonna ask for it? No worries if you want to keep it to yourself, I was just wondering.
I paid 275 for it. V30s weren't damaged.

I will have to calculate the cost of the speaker grill. $50 bucks or so I think. I used tolex from a project. I shouldn't have to order anymore for that as it wasn't a lot of material.

I think anything above 350 I will take. I think I have it up in CL for 450 or 400. Wiggle room for negotiating. I want to sell it and an amp head in one shot if possible. Don't care which head.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
I paid 100 and 150 for the BVs if I remember correctly.

They go for 250-350. There are too many on CL right now to get $250. I will loose on one of them but make up for it on the other.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
Man, gear is hella expensive where I live or something. The pawn shop I'm a regular at is selling a BV head for $550 and the cab for $350. I should expect that of a pawnshop though. If you can sell yours that cheap and it actually sounds like an amp instead of ass through an IPod, gear's gotta be cheap for you or something.

Also R45VT, I finally got a video of my truck up on the GB&C chat if you wanna give it a look.
Quote by R45VT
Bastards.
Last edited by Viban at Jan 19, 2013,
I'll check te video once I am back at my computer.

I need to get a mic an interface. Night and day difference.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
Quote by R45VT
I'll check te video once I am back at my computer.

I need to get a mic an interface. Night and day difference.

I know your feel man, I'm feeling the want for some good recording gear too.
Quote by R45VT
Bastards.
Do I want a USB mic or a mic and an interface? Choices.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
Personally I'd do mic and an interface, in case I want to use the compensated output on my amp, that's just me though.
Quote by R45VT
Bastards.
Yeah but more money.... Hahahaha.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
having options isn't cheap. The nice part about a separate interface and microphone is that you get more options on which microphone to use.
Quote by R45VT
Bastards.
Get a full length of tolex and do that cab properly, you lazy ****.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
Get a full length of tolex and do that cab properly, you lazy ****.

I have full length tolex but I am not going through the emotional roller coaster again when the tolex bubbles.

Plus I don't want to buy anymore tolex. I need the roll I have for my 2x12.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
You can buy it in 18" widths on ebay if you ever want to just do the sides. It's about $6 per metre iirc.

And yes, it's a shit of a job isn't it? Paint rollers are good. You need a firm rubber one and use it as you go. Little bit of heat helps too. When it cools it will pull itself down rather than bubble. Don't overdo it though.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Jan 20, 2013,
I bought my supplies from mojotone. They seem overpriced.

Decent selection.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
Page 1 of 3