Tmusician
Tab Contributor
4,137 IQ
People seem to waste a lot of time tuning their guitar to alternate tunings, but often it will be from E standard to Eb standard or something like that.

Why not have your guitar always tuned to D Standard, and keep a capo to quickly go to Eb and E standard? I mean this seems like a simple idea but I think it's a good one and nobody seems to do it.
Zaphod_Beeblebr
Shallow and pedantic.
1,670 IQ
Because you lose two notes at the top.
Because the open strings have a different tone to fretted once unless you have a zero-fret.
Because the string tension is different, even with the right strings.
Because E is standard tuning and guitar notation is written that way.

It's a fine idea if it works for you but it's not something that would work for everyone, I don't actually know of that many bands or guitarists who switch around tuning that much unless they're playing material from different albums and so on.

Also this isn't a technique so this is the wrong forum for this post.

*reported*
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Album.
Legion.
Petzakecske
1,149 IQ
I do this, but only because I can't affor more than one guitar. I switch between D Standard and Drop C, and with a capo it covers all I need.
Tmusician
Tab Contributor
4,137 IQ
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Because you lose two notes at the top.
Because the open strings have a different tone to fretted once unless you have a zero-fret.
Because the string tension is different, even with the right strings.
Because E is standard tuning and guitar notation is written that way.

It's a fine idea if it works for you but it's not something that would work for everyone, I don't actually know of that many bands or guitarists who switch around tuning that much unless they're playing material from different albums and so on.

Also this isn't a technique so this is the wrong forum for this post.

*reported*

lol! This whole forum has way too many sub-forums. Which one should this be in? The Electric Guitar or Acoustic Guitar or Guitar Gear & Accessories or Musician Talk?
LiquidSkies
392 IQ
Because then you still won't be able to play songs in minor third down tuning!
GaryBillington
Last of a Dyin' Breed
1,309 IQ
I've heard of people doing it

If it works for you, go for it
Gibson LP Traditional, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm > TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H

My SoundCloud
Freepower
v It's Back! :D
3,277 IQ
Why not have your guitar always tuned to D Standard, and keep a capo to quickly go to Eb and E standard? I mean this seems like a simple idea but I think it's a good one and nobody seems to do it.

But what if you still have to go down a semitone?

I have a friend who keeps his guitar in D standard with a capo on 2. Some people do it. I also have no idea what forum to put this in. Maybe musician talk, seeing as its mainly about transposition...