Wisthekiller
UG's Nigel Tufnel
190 IQ
Cross-posted from my account at MLP, deal with it.

FIRST, the Gibson SG 50's Tribute was originally meant to have the word "prototype" on the back of the headstock just as a tongue-in-cheek thing because they realize there weren't 50's SG's, but they actually did have the design back then. It was also made for continuity of lines with the Tribute Les Pauls.

SECOND, here's something interesting that's coming out soon...

The pinstriping is actually done BY HAND on those. Just thought that was neato. There's also plenty of AAA grade flame maple front, AA flame maple back, 3 pickup SGs that will be coming out.

AND the Les Paul that's similar to a Firebird X, with all the built in effects and everything may be kinda ugly, but it works pretty well. It CAN get the Tele, Strat, Semihollow, etc... sounds through putting the pickups through a series of analog EQs. The way it was done before was digitally, so if you played quieter, it'd be the same but more quiet. If you do it this way, you can get all those little dynamics and nuances of certain guitars played certain ways.
Last edited by Wisthekiller at Jan 15, 2013,
Mephaphil
No empty frets.
150 IQ
That last one looks like someone was playing Need for Speed a bit too much when it came round to finalising the design.

I won't be buying any of them.
Quote by Shredwizard445
Go ahead and spend your money, I don't care. It won't make you sound better.

Quote by Shredwizard445
Sure upgrading your gear will make you sound better.

jpnyc
Banned
90 IQ
I have no idea who they **** they expect to play those new models. Is Auerbach starting a hair band or something?
Willowthewitch
Geek Grrl
20 IQ
Quote by Skullivan
Ugly as shit imo.

+1
Gear
Jackson DK2
Ibanez RGR320EX
Guild X82 Nova
Godin Seagull S6

Vox V847 Bad Monkey
Vox VT40+ / VFS5 VT

Quote by FatalGear41

Right now, there are six and a half billion people on earth who don't care what kind of tubes you have in your amplifier
ProphetToJables
Tight Tight Tight
150 IQ
Awful man.
Gear:

Gibson 2005 Les Paul Standard
Fender Road Worn Strat w/ Noiseless pickups
Marshall JCM 2000 401C
Marshall Vintage Modern 2266
Marshall 1960A cab (Dave Hill from Slade's old cab)
Ibanez TS9DX
EHX Little Big Muff
Freshman Acoustic
MrFlibble
Puts a bangin' donk on it
462 IQ
I like 'em, pending clearer, non-distorted photos. The bridge and finishes are the only things that really put me off, though I've never been a fan of block inlays, either.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
halfj06
30 IQ
I know I'm 1 of about 10 people in the world buuuttt I wish they'd bring back the zoot sui sg
jpnyc
Banned
90 IQ
Quote by halfj06
I know I'm 1 of about 10 people in the world buuuttt I wish they'd bring back the zoot sui sg

You really should have bought one when the Guitar Center salesmen would suck your dick to get you to buy a Zoot Suit SG for $600.
JustRooster
Professionally Crabby
514 IQ
I think they look pretty awesome, actually. Also a fan of the P90 in the neck.

Quote by EyeNon15
Thats too bad, I was under the impression I was arguing something profound

Quote by StewieSwan
my eyes are rolling harder than fred durst

jmaguire
40 IQ
I kinda like it. Don't go much on the bridge and I'll have to see what finishes they'll be available in to be sure. But yeah, not too bad.
[404]Signature not found
T00DEEPBLUE
Boba FRETT
260 IQ
I love it in the red finish. It's quite an original design.
Quote by Axelfox
Please understand how little we as a community care
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Jan 16, 2013,
JesusCrisp
UG's Jesus
160 IQ
These look pretty cool to me.

But yeah, it's Gibson coming out with a new design, which means as an internet user I just have to disapprove it, call it shitty looking because I'm not used to it, make some comment about it probably costing more than building a house on the Mars and brag about how much better my Epiphones are and how bad the QC on the Gibsons I never played was.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
hminh87
Justin here!
340 IQ
First word came to mind: Ugly
G͔͓̅e͎͉̟̽ͬ͐̎̃͐ͨͅå͈͖͕̹̤̟̐̏͋ͅr̩͕̫̰̗s̹̳̼ͥ̒̍̄̅ͥ̚:

ESP Standard Eclipse I CTM VW
ESP LTD Deluxe H-1001
ESP LTD Deluxe Viper-1000 STBC
ESP Edwards E-EX-100STD
Warmoth Paulcaster "Tiger"
Tanglewood TW170 AS
Vox Tonelab ST
Blackstar HT-1R

JKHC
90 IQ
Quote by Wisthekiller

The pinstriping is actually done BY HAND on those.

More of a reason to slap an extra $100 to the price

Although, wouldn't machine pin striping be more consistent?
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
Charvel1995
Ronda Rousey Fanboy
130 IQ
I like the shape.

Not keen on the bridge though, or pinstrpes
Main Rig:

Epiphone MKH Les Paul Custom 7 - Ronda
Ibanez RG8 "Scarlet" - AKA The Rambanez
Fender Strat "Danielle"/"Dani"
Line 6 POD HD Pro
Randall XL 4x12

Come join us...

Purchase list: Jim Root Tele, Jim Root Jazzmaster, MTM20
SGFAN4174
Dissonant Harmonics
10 IQ
Quote by JesusCrisp
These look pretty cool to me.

But yeah, it's Gibson coming out with a new design, which means as an internet user I just have to disapprove it, call it shitty looking because I'm not used to it, make some comment about it probably costing more than building a house on the Mars and brag about how much better my Epiphones are and how bad the QC on the Gibsons I never played was.

+1 I'm tired of the same old guitar designs. Oh look, Gibson came out with a new design but it sucks cause it doesn't look like the old ones.
Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion
MrFlibble
462 IQ
Quote by JKHC
More of a reason to slap an extra $100 to the price

Although, wouldn't machine pin striping be more consistent?

No. You'd be surprised how hard it is to get a machine to do something to such a fine point as that with paint. Machines are great for doing very accurate stuff with hard materials, but introduce any kind of liquid or soft compound substance and they become quite useless. A machine can't tell when a brush or nozzle is clogged up, it can't tell when there is a run in paint. They can handle basic finishes okay because you're typically just going for one even layer of colour and accuracy is irrelevant, but even then you still always have people supervising. Paint, other than single-colours and basic bursts, is one of the few things that is still much better done by hand.

edit: and with the new pictures, yup, I'd buy the clear-finished one. Take the arm off, stop the bridge from shifting, whack in a stacked P-90 if the stock one isn't already, rip out the tone control and I'm happy. I've been looking at putting together a chambered or semi-hollow HxP guitar anyway.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Last edited by MrFlibble at Jan 16, 2013,
halfj06
30 IQ
Quote by jpnyc
You really should have bought one when the Guitar Center salesmen would suck your dick to get you to buy a Zoot Suit SG for $600.

Haha ill probably pass on the blow jay GC is usually a bit of a sausage fest

but I was just super poor when they were available .. now I can't find a used one for the life of me.. id probably pay $500 for a used one if it felt nice and had a case
phank
10 IQ
Looks: OK, and the natural finish one looks quite attractive.
Sound: The P90 and dirty fingers combination looks very promising. Probably a good sound.
Feel: Who knows. Neck shape and access, balance, etc. are a personal thing.
Price: Same as the discontinued Midtown Custom, a wonderful guitar. Not too high, for Gibson.
Bridge: Sucks. Put on a stoptail.

Bottom Line: If I had both the need and the money, this would definitely be on my check-it-out list.
Charvel1995
Ronda Rousey Fanboy
130 IQ
The pinstripe has the ugliest finish, for me at least. Reminds me of a BC RIch finish for some reason
Main Rig:

Epiphone MKH Les Paul Custom 7 - Ronda
Ibanez RG8 "Scarlet" - AKA The Rambanez
Fender Strat "Danielle"/"Dani"
Line 6 POD HD Pro
Randall XL 4x12

Come join us...

Purchase list: Jim Root Tele, Jim Root Jazzmaster, MTM20
AcousticMirror
loves cheesecake
450 IQ
oh hey look it's a vegas with a regular headstock and a shitty bridge.

wooooooooooo

woooooooooooooo

no.
buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo.
MrFlibble
462 IQ
It's nothing like a Vegas, other than 'it has f-holes'.
JustRooster
Professionally Crabby
514 IQ
Quote by MrFlibble
No. You'd be surprised how hard it is to get a machine to do something to such a fine point as that with paint. Machines are great for doing very accurate stuff with hard materials, but introduce any kind of liquid or soft compound substance and they become quite useless. A machine can't tell when a brush or nozzle is clogged up, it can't tell when there is a run in paint. They can handle basic finishes okay because you're typically just going for one even layer of colour and accuracy is irrelevant, but even then you still always have people supervising. Paint, other than single-colours and basic bursts, is one of the few things that is still much better done by hand.

edit: and with the new pictures, yup, I'd buy the clear-finished one. Take the arm off, stop the bridge from shifting, whack in a stacked P-90 if the stock one isn't already, rip out the tone control and I'm happy. I've been looking at putting together a chambered or semi-hollow HxP guitar anyway.

I was a Mechanical Engineering student for 2 semesters at the University of Wisconsin. I programmed machines that did very, very finite work. It's actually surprisingly easy to do machine pinstriping. In fact, it's definitely a technology we've had for years. Also, machines definitely can tell when they're clogged up, many have had flow sensors for quite a while.

That said, hand painting pinstripes results in much better quality and much cheaper production costs. Those sorts of pinstriping machine are really only big in like automotive factory line paint booths.

Quote by EyeNon15
Thats too bad, I was under the impression I was arguing something profound

Quote by StewieSwan
my eyes are rolling harder than fred durst

Last edited by JustRooster at Jan 16, 2013,
Robbgnarly
Tab Contributor
290 IQ
Those are Fugly as hell
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)