Page 5 of 10
Got to admit I don't listen to Flaming Lips much, but the album was not what I expected. If my hazy drug recollection of it is true, it was quite moody and atmospheric with some dark undertones. I was like wtf? when I heard All you need is love, haha didnt expect to hear that on the album. Im off to give it another listen.
Quote by TheReverend724
implying Overgrown isn't AOTY

Probably AOTY if ya ran out of ambien.

More couple sentence reviews of things that you've likely already heard:
  • Kurt Vile - Wakin' On A Pretty Daze: Has this guy lost the plot? Probably tough to do when you're just tweaking the same formula. I think that the songs just aren't as strong as in the past and it isn't that I'm bored with him.
  • Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds - Push The Sky Away: His best since Abattoir Blues/Lyre of Orpheus, right? Better than either of the Grinderman albums, for sure.
  • Phosphorescent - Muchacho: A couple of big hits ("The Quotidian Beast", for certain), but the lows are a bit too far into Bon Iver territory making it tough for me to completely get behind. Also too many "Woo!"s.
After one listen, the Yeah Yeah Yeahs album is solid but not great, and the majority of the good tracks are the more subdued ones. Also, one of the songs has a verse from Dr. Octagon in it, and I wasn't sure how well YYY+hip hop would work, but I wound up liking it.

On my second listen of The Terror now and still digging it.

Already heard this week's new Ghost (B.C.) album. Cool stuff, and definitely an improvement from their debut,which I already really liked. It does the "creepy satanic retro-metal" thing really well without being musically cheesey like every other band who tries it.

Fall Out Boy album has a couple of awesomely hooky songs but overall it's meh and after listening to it I listened to some of their old stuff and realized how much better they used to be.

Anything else out this week that I'm forgetting about/need to hear?
The Jai Paul bootleg release! Good luck finding a link though. Basically, someone stole Jai Paul's (a really buzzed about singer from London whose only released two songs in 5 years) laptop and put up a 40 minute album on bandcamp until he came out and said "Uh I didn't do that".

It's really good regardless.
What, Yeah Yeah Yeahs' is out? Had no idea apart from the single.
Quote by Sliide90027
But as a bigoted lemming, you have so cry an Alinslyite slur revealing you lack of reason and sense.

Quote by MusicLord16
BOB 1. ur 20 and two u like evil things and idk if u worship the devil
Yeah, I heard about the Jai Paul thing. I went to see if it was free download when it first leaked and when I found out I'd have to pay for it I was just like "screw it, I'll listen to it later, it'll be there later" and now it's not there hahaha. I guess I'll hear it somehow eventually.

And yeah, Mosquito came out today.
Quote by Jearl
guys, new Keaton Henson.

I just listened to it. I really like most of it, but there are a few songs/moments I'm not crazy about. I don't really like the huge "full band" parts, but overall an enjoyable album. this guy certainly hasn't gotten any happier.

i just discovered Dear... a couple days ago and i cant stop listening to it. Its amazing. I'll have to check out his new stuff.

I dig The Terror more and more with every listen, same with Kurt Vile's album.
Flaming Lips is nice but I don't have any strong emotions toward it one way or the other. I like Kurt Vile, prolly am gonna listen to Yeah Yeah Yeahs today.
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
Got The Terror on vinyl today. Only had one listen, it beckons for more and more. Digging it, think I'll dig it more on subsequent listens. Beautiful art work too.
Quote by ErikLensherr
Did you hear about the cockney Godfather?

He made them an offer they couldn't understand.
Ehh, not a fan of Mosquito so far. I only really care for Under The Earth right now.
Quote by Sliide90027
But as a bigoted lemming, you have so cry an Alinslyite slur revealing you lack of reason and sense.

Quote by MusicLord16
BOB 1. ur 20 and two u like evil things and idk if u worship the devil
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
Ehh, not a fan of Mosquito so far. I only really care for Under The Earth right now.

I thought it was pretty good except for the laughable "Area 52" and title track, and a couple of songs I thought were kind of filler. "Sacrilege," "Wedding Song," "Under the Earth," "Subway," and "Buried Alive" are great though.

Oh, and the debut EP from Great Thunder (Katie Crutchfield [aka Waxahatchee] + Keith Spencer of Swearin') came out a few days ago, it's on Bandcamp for pay what you want. It's okay, not nearly as good as Cerulean Salt but still worth a listen.
Last edited by ManInTheBox14 at Apr 22, 2013,
When the horns come in on Wheel, omg
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Thee Oh Sees is good
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
Quote by Joshua1207
Charli XCX's True Romance is pretty nice pop tunes.

Oh, I should give that a listen.

Idk if you guys are into black metal at all but the new Altar of Plagues album is pretty good (after one listen).
I have come to the conclusion that Shaking the habitual is immense. If you look at the tracks individually you'd think the droney/ambient pieces wouldn't go together so well with the more upbeat songs, but as a whole I found it a seamless listen.

Off to go listen to Charli XCX. Heard that she's the Grimes of 2013? lol

Oh and new Boards of Canada?!!!! This boy's dream has come true. :')
I listened to the first part of the Charli XCX album, and though the songs were good, they were too much just sweet pop songs for me to be interested in the whole album. Not nearly as good as Grimes imo hahaha.
Quote by bradulator
Thee Oh Sees is good

Any reason to think otherwise? Unless maybe it is better than good.
Savages album is good. Chance The Rapper tape is good. Finally got around to listening to the Milo double EP and it's great of course.

Oh, and I liked the new No Joy album as well.
Digging this new Murder by Death cover album, Tom Waits, Louie Armstrong, Kenny Rogers, INXS, Elliott Smith.

Never Tear Us Apart - INXS
http://youtu.be/nk__JxiY5Xc

Needle in the Hay - Elliott Smith
http://youtu.be/C8Ds4yJI7NA
"Pain or damage don't end the world nor despair, nor fuckin' beatings. The world ends when you're dead, until then you have more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, and give some back."
Quote by ManInTheBox14
Savages album is good. Chance The Rapper tape is good. Finally got around to listening to the Milo double EP and it's great of course.

Oh, and I liked the new No Joy album as well.

I agree with this whole post
Quote by genghisgandhi
I'm really liking the new Deerhunter. Was a little lukewarm at first but it's a grower (like everything they do)

I'm listening to it all the way through for the first time and it's okay I guess, though (some of) you guys know I haven't quite gotten into them yet, but I like the first few tracks especially and I like it better so far than either of the other two albums I've listened to by them, both of which I've only listened to once. They'll have to grow on me, like you say.
Quote by AKnownHardman
Modern Vampires of the City

It's solid, fer sure. I'm listening to it for the second time. I like all the songs, but I'm not sure how much I love it as an album yet. I feel like it needs more energy.
The new Dillinger Escape Plan album is amazing, probably my favorite of the year so far. Random Access Memories is streaming on iTunes and I'm listening to it now.
Quote by Joshua1207
so Chance The Rapper's Acid Rap is pretty dope. Wasn't huge into it at first but after multiple listens I'm real diggin' it

I think that's how it's gonna be for me. Bronson's Rick Pitino/Pat Summitt line is one of my favorite of the year.

EDIT - Listening to the new Vampire Weekend now, and not really feeling it. I prefer my Vampy Weekend to be more mindless.

Actually this is pretty good.
Last edited by genghisgandhi at May 13, 2013,
I'm really confused. There's something about this song that I can't put my finger on. It's just taking over my world. It might legitimately be my favorite song right now, but I don't like hardly anything else they do, it's just...incredible for some reason. Came out in 2009, so it's not even remotely new.

Obligatory "watch in 480p pls"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HAtsxnm7nkg
If you guys are into pop-punk, you gotta check out the new Wonder Years album. I'd never really listened to those guys before and I've only listened to the album once but man, it's good.
do you guys like big eyes? their new album is streaming @ spin now, I am digging it so far.