Page 1 of 5
N_J_B_B
Nicko.
1,326 IQ
god I hope so
Quote by SlackerBabbath
My ideal woman would be a grossly overweight woman who would happy go jogging, come home all sweaty and let me put my dick under her armpit while she shuffles a pack of cards.

Stay classy, pit.
TheChaz
Other Barry
543 IQ
They got funding easily because they're a known band. Have to see how it works out with an unknown band first.
Joshua Garcia
Lost boy
5,702 IQ
Doubt it. Don't really care or anything though.
Quote by Hal-Sephira
Have anybody went on high lately?
v Smash dat mf
Morphogenesis26
UG Nerd
468 IQ
Given that Bandcamp allows bands to get their music out a lot easier and for a great price, if any, and adding in the rise of Kickstarter, this was sort of to be expected.

I don't think it's fair to use PtH as an example of leading a new model, primarily because they're already pretty well established in the "Prog punk metalcore stuffz" scene. It'd be cool to see a new band use this model and the results end up being good, though.
crazysam23_Atax
Feuergesicht
5,710 IQ
To a degree, yes. But this has been a long time coming. I'd say that record labels are on their way out, fortunately.
Prototype4342
UG's Duke
510 IQ
Wait... so they ask for funding to do the album, then charge people for the album? Why not use the money from the last album for this one?

Edit: nevermind, just read through the second link.
"Social correctness has traditionally had nothing whatever to do with reason, logic, or physics. In fact, in England it is generally considered socially incorrect to know stuff or think about things."
-Douglas Adams
Last edited by Prototype4342 at Jan 17, 2013,
Macabre_Turtle
UG's UGer
640 IQ
I am astonished and overjoyed to see this many people supporting a band that deserves it so much so quickly... but this won't work any time soon for anybody that isn't already relatively successful to begin with. But hell, maybe if tons of established bands start doing this it will force record labels to continue picking up new bands that deserve success.
Deliriumbassist
UG's only DB
2,387 IQ
Quote by TheChaz
They got funding easily because they're a known band. Have to see how it works out with an unknown band first.

Not unknown, but certainly a band that had fallen out of the more mainstreamy popularity that used to have, InMe did this last year and received 314% of their goal. The singer's less known solo work hit 492% of his goal. InMe asked for a similar amount to PtH, Dave Macca asked for around 2/3rds of it, IIRC.

PtH aren't showing us the future of music- plenty of bands have been doing it- the aforementioned, Serj Tankian, The Rasmus, SoIL and plenty of others have done it, PtH are just joining a trend.
TheChaz
Other Barry
543 IQ
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Not unknown, but certainly a band that had fallen out of the more mainstreamy popularity that used to have, InMe did this last year and received 314% of their goal. The singer's less known solo work hit 492% of his goal. InMe asked for a similar amount to PtH, Dave Macca asked for around 2/3rds of it, IIRC.

PtH aren't showing us the future of music- plenty of bands have been doing it- the aforementioned, Serj Tankian, The Rasmus, SoIL and plenty of others have done it, PtH are just joining a trend.

This seems like a great way for established bands to break with their labels, but it's still too early to see if it'll be a way for new bands to break into the business. I think it'd be a lot harder for a local band to amass any amount of funds, especially if this becomes a popular way of funding recordings.
Wiegenlied
Registered Usurper
1,620 IQ
Protest the Hero are playing in a dive bar in my town in a couple weeks that I've played a bunch of times, 5 times this year actually, and are playing with crappy local bands that friends I have are in. tickets are 10 bucks and the facebook page has under 100 people going. Sure seems like things aregoing well for them!
Quote by Night
wtf is a selfie? is that like, touching yourself or something?
Macabre_Turtle
UG's UGer
640 IQ
Quote by Wiegenlied
Protest the Hero are playing in a dive bar in my town in a couple weeks that I've played a bunch of times, 5 times this year actually, and are playing with crappy local bands that friends I have are in. tickets are 10 bucks and the facebook page has under 100 people going. Sure seems like things aregoing well for them!

Bigger bands than them let crappy local bands open all the time, and Facebook event pages are a horrible way to judge how many people are actually going.
TunerAddict
Real Ass Nigga
1,184 IQ
If the future is shitty music, then yes, they are the future.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers

If women can be annoyed there arent any women incongress I should be allowed to be pissed off there are no members of pink floyd or the beatles in congress.
crazysam23_Atax
Feuergesicht
5,710 IQ
Quote by TunerAddict

metacarpi
Too old for this ****
894 IQ
Quote by Deliriumbassist

Boom, knowledge bomb.

As a side note - I chipped in a few quid on the InMe fund.
Quote by GLP_Arclite
Pooping is well good though, to be fair.

I've got a handle on the fiction.

I'm losing my grip, 'cos I'm losing my fingers.
Deliriumbassist
UG's only DB
2,387 IQ
Quote by TheChaz
This seems like a great way for established bands to break with their labels, but it's still too early to see if it'll be a way for new bands to break into the business. I think it'd be a lot harder for a local band to amass any amount of funds, especially if this becomes a popular way of funding recordings.

True. It's going to be one of those things that filters down rather than work it's way up. If a local, up and coming band can utilise this alongside social media and offering the right incentives etc, it just might work (and if they only take the money once the goal is reached). I can see it failing for a lot of bands though, because a lot of small, local bands don't understand the concepts of networking and advertisement. Pledgemusic, Kickstarter etc should only be considered as a tool, but it needs everything else to work properly. Putting a percentage to a charity via pledges doesn't harm anything either.
rockingamer2
Larmarky Remark
408 IQ
I would like to see how much their new album is pirated and how that compares to when they were with a label.
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
guitarist41
DiscoSucks****Everything
1,812 IQ
Totally wanted the Rody Karaoke option.

It's pretty amazing how quickly they hit their target amount.
Quote by neidnarb11890
the chinese take-out place my family always ordered from gave you chopsticks, so as a kid it was fun to try & eat with chopsticks
now i just use a fork, 'cuz nothing is fun anymore & i just want to shovel food into my mouth to fill the void
Hail
i'm a mean bully
431 IQ
Quote by rockingamer2
I would like to see how much their new album is pirated and how that compares to when they were with a label.

well since they're presaling their album (with an early release date) to donaters, they might avoid the travesty that happened with scurrilous where everybody got the album a month ahead of time due to leaks and the band got screwed entirely.
Quote by theogonia777
Hail killed MT

Quote by jongtr
I want to be Hail when I grow up.
Macabre_Turtle
UG's UGer
640 IQ
Quote by Hail
well since they're presaling their album (with an early release date) to donaters, they might avoid the travesty that happened with scurrilous where everybody got the album a month ahead of time due to leaks and the band got screwed entirely.

I didn't even notice the early release date thing. That's pretty cool.

They've already sold a few thousand copies and they're not even done writing it. I'm gonna go ahead and so piracy is no longer a problem for these guys.
Mr.-Bungle
Mr. Bungle
242 IQ
I love Protest the Hero. Just wanted to say that. I also donated an undisclosed sum, will again if any new perks come up with the next 28 days of the deadline.

This is a pretty neat way of releasing an album, I'm glad they jumped onto the "Fu! labels" wagon. All the more support to guys that make me happy music and go see at their shows (albeit once in australia..).. They need to come down to Aus more. But that's expensive I guess. : (
cptcomet
Band
648 IQ
Quote by TheChaz

A band I know who are relatively small with 2000 likes on facebook got funding for their first album through a similar scheme.
455 75 34 88

(´・ω・`)

Quote by strait jacket
Do you like being sigged or, like me do you feel strangely violated?
Butt Rayge
UG Resident
2,788 IQ
Quote by SlackerBabbath
I remember when bands used to get money from their fans after they had recorded their album.

That's pretty difficult these days.
My Last Words
Billions and billions!
2,209 IQ
I don't know them or their music, but those perks are both hilarious and ingenious
baab
Simsimius
Peace. Love. Solidarity.
1,910 IQ
Quote by rockingamer2

From what I gather though, it wouldn't matter too much. Since they are not with a label, the label doesn't need to recoup their costs as the costs are already paid for by the fans, so when they release the album they're pretty much even and all album sales would be profit (instead of album sales paying back to the label).
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
MrWeenie
unhappy with username.
298 IQ
My band did a crowdfunding thing for our debut EP. We've only just started gigging in the last 6 months or so and only have a couple of hundred Facebook fans so we set a modest goal of $1000 AUD and got around 125% of it at the end of our campaign. Not enough to fund the entire EP but it helped a lot, especially considering half of our band members are unemployed.

You can check out the kinds of rewards and stuff we offered at pozible.com/hypergiant
Hovercraft Falcon 100 "La Dama del Solaris"
ESP LTD Phoenix-1000
Epiphone Les Paul Custom Silverburst
WCPhils
UnBanned
731 IQ
Quote by Wiegenlied

Protest plays a ton of shitty bars in Canada because that's where they started and they like the feel of the really small venue

I bought the vinyl option. Seemed pretty cool.

Also, they don't seem to care if people pirate their music. Hell, I've seen live videos where Rody is all "Now go buy our album. Or pirate it. IDGAF"
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Last edited by WCPhils at Jan 17, 2013,
Hail
i'm a mean bully
431 IQ
Quote by Simsimius
From what I gather though, it wouldn't matter too much. Since they are not with a label, the label doesn't need to recoup their costs as the costs are already paid for by the fans, so when they release the album they're pretty much even and all album sales would be profit (instead of album sales paying back to the label).

most of these "donations" are actually album presales, since a lot of people are buying the perks available. so basically, they're selling the album in advance so all they're obligated to do is release a good album, and it's already sold. this gives them the propulsion required to get back on the road and (as i said before) helps avoid the inevitable piracy that comes after the album drops

it's not 100% original, but that presale twist i think is a gem of an idea. another (lesser known) band was doing this as well but i honestly can't remember their names, it was quite recent though. it's an idea i'm definitely interested to see develop, cause it really does, basically, cause how are you going to torrent something that won't exist unless you pay for it?
Quote by theogonia777
Hail killed MT

Quote by jongtr
I want to be Hail when I grow up.
travislausch
UG's Haibane Renmei fan.
6,494 IQ
More like the past. Marillion has successfully been doing this since the 90s.

And they did it without Facebook or Indiegogo, to boot.
I can't help wondering things like "What's Bob Dylan doing now? Is he at home, eating a big bowl of corn flakes just like I will, later on when I return back home?"
Last edited by travislausch at Jan 17, 2013,
leigh596
Gaming and Guitar
1,910 IQ
It works with unknown bands too, or relatively unknown anyway. Dorje - Rob Chapman's band did this to fund their tour with the drills this year
My Rig
Fender Blacktop Strat HH MN > Joyo JF-01 Vintage Overdrive > Boss ME50 > Line 6 Spider IV 30

Other Shit
Jim Deacon Acoustic
Yamaha 12 string acoustic

New Amp Fund
£300/700
lolmnt
Earth of the Butt
4,159 IQ
It's not like this is the first time somebody's made a ton of money on Kickstarter
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Ometh
UG Addict
3,911 IQ
Quote by TunerAddict

I came here to say this, damn you. Damn you to hell.
Quote by slapsymcdougal
I'm cockblocked regularly by my appearance and personality.