Page 2 of 5
Quote by SlackerBabbath
I remember when bands used to get money from their fans after they had recorded their album.

What kind of silly idea is that?
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
I feel like this is a stock market model being adopted by the bands being discussed. It's simply because fans (stock/stakeholders) put money into a band (business) and expect the band to create a great album (product) for fans. I doubt fans putting money into the band are getting much of a return though, like maybe the album is shitty and/or available for free. So a band better get this right the first time and not piss off their fans because they decided to experiment.
We're all alright!
Just to weigh in here
Why hasn't anyone taken their offer to record ANY song
I mean someone did take the most expensive offer, why not ANY song....surely....in PTH style...
EDIT: 5k
Last edited by Highelf04 at Jan 17, 2013,
I want them to cover Bohemian Rhapsody because it would be amazing
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
idk how well other bands would do because PtH has the neckbeard market locked down, so duh they would make tons of internet money.
Bands have been doing this for a good few years now.

The fact that some people are only hearing about it when PtH does it should be a good indication of why they are NOT a good case to use as a metre stick.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
I don't think they're the first to do this, but it is totally genius. I love this so much.
For how can I give the King his place of worth above all else
when I spend my time striving to place the crown upon myself?
Quote by SlackerBabbath
I remember when bands used to get money from their fans after they had recorded their album.

It costs money to make money.

I'll gladly pre-order an unfinished album at the cost of letting one of my favorite bands have more control over their careers. You say this like we're getting screwed or something.
I take the "pre-order" is cheaper than the "post-order" right?

Buying something you have 0% idea whether you'll like it or not is different than buying something you can find info about/hear snippets of the songs/hear songs on the radio/read reviews/etc.
Quote by gonzaw
I take the "pre-order" is cheaper than the "post-order" right?

Buying something you have 0% idea whether you'll like it or not is different than buying something you can find info about/hear snippets of the songs/hear songs on the radio/read reviews/etc.

I think that as a band like this, you could at least throw down a quick demo or two and say "This. We want to do an album full of this next, only recorded completely awesome. Who likes this and wants to give us money to do it?".
Quote by CoreysMonster
I think that as a band like this, you could at least throw down a quick demo or two and say "This. We want to do an album full of this next, only recorded completely awesome. Who likes this and wants to give us money to do it?".

If it's a band I know of and I like I wouldn't mind throwing them money before they make the songs if they give me an incentive to do so now and not after the album is out.
E.g make it cheaper, or maybe add an unreleased song that only I can listen to, or something.
Quote by Macabre_Turtle
Quote by SlackerBabbath

It costs money to make money.

I'll gladly pre-order an unfinished album at the cost of letting one of my favorite bands have more control over their careers. You say this like we're getting screwed or something.

How exactly are you reading that as if I'm saying you're getting 'screwed or something'?
What part of my post even hinted slightly in that direction?

I'm just commenting on how things have changed.
When I was a kid, I'd go to something we used to call a 'record shop', pick out a piece of 'vinal' I liked the look of from it's cover and take it to the guy behind the counter who would then put it on for me while I stood in a 'listening booth' and checked it out before I purchased it.

Now I find bands on a computer screen, give them some money to make a recording with, wait for the recording to be made and released and eventualy get it sent to me via e-mail.
Quote by SlackerBabbath
Now I find bands on a computer screen, give them some money to make a recording with, wait for the recording to be made and released and eventualy get it sent to me via e-mail - and then I have to supress the urge to burn those witches for performing their dark magic.

Right?
Quote by GLP_Arclite
Pooping is well good though, to be fair.

I've got a handle on the fiction.

I'm losing my grip, 'cos I'm losing my fingers.
Quote by metacarpi
Right?

Right... and what's with this magic light that appears whenever I touch the wall just next to the door in my living room?

It's the devil's work I tell ya.
once every band starts doing it, people wont be giving as much money because they will have to spread it around more. i thinks
If a band did this and made a shitty record with it there would be mobs
Quote by Sliide90027
But as a bigoted lemming, you have so cry an Alinslyite slur revealing you lack of reason and sense.

Quote by MusicLord16
BOB 1. ur 20 and two u like evil things and idk if u worship the devil
Quote by metacarpi
Right?

lol'd

nice delivery
Quote by SlackerBabbath
My ideal woman would be a grossly overweight woman who would happy go jogging, come home all sweaty and let me put my dick under her armpit while she shuffles a pack of cards.

Stay classy, pit.
Cant they just get a normal loan or something?
Yeah I have no idea how the music industry actually works, but if you can produce the record just with crowdfunding, it means you can produce it just with money (even if you don't have a label), so why not just get a loan, produce the record, get sales back from it, pay off the loan and get profit?

Like...almost every small business in existence?

Or am I missing something?
I think a bank would be cautious about lending to a band for a record. with piracy, I think there would be too much doubt on their ability to pay it back. and this way they don't have to worry about interest either.
#DTWD
I suppose there are indeed interests with crowdfunding.
As in, if you pay X$ to them before-hand, you get a "perk" whose value is greater than X.
So if you pay 10$ you get the CD that would normally cost 15$ maybe.

Wouldn't that be a sort of interest given to the people funding you this way?
Quote by SlackerBabbath
How exactly are you reading that as if I'm saying you're getting 'screwed or something'?
What part of my post even hinted slightly in that direction?

That's just how it reads to me on the internet without body language and tone of voice.
Quote by Highelf04
Just to weigh in here
Why hasn't anyone taken their offer to record ANY song
I mean someone did take the most expensive offer, why not ANY song....surely....in PTH style...
EDIT: 5k

See I had the idea to start up a page on like GoFundMe or something to raise money for people who agreed with a cover idea that they should do, to be given to them when the goal was reached. 250 people donating $10 each is a lot easier than $2500 in one go. And I realize, sure, you could donate that directly to them and get something right off the bat for it, but when you have the potential for a priceless cover, I think it could be worth it. Besides, who wouldn't want to make Rody Walker learn a little Korean for a Gangnam Style cover? Come on.
Begin again in the night, let's sway again tonight.
Your arm on my shoulder, your cheek against mine.
Where can we go, when will we find that, we know.
Quote by sadSTATUE
See I had the idea to start up a page on like GoFundMe or something to raise money for people who agreed with a cover idea that they should do, to be given to them when the goal was reached. 250 people donating $10 each is a lot easier than $2500 in one go. And I realize, sure, you could donate that directly to them and get something right off the bat for it, but when you have the potential for a priceless cover, I think it could be worth it. Besides, who wouldn't want to make Rody Walker learn a little Korean for a Gangnam Style cover? Come on.

I would donate to that
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Quote by sadSTATUE

I would definitely donate $10 or so for that, if you could get enough people.

There could be some awesome covers. Someone on Reddit mentioned getting them to cover either "Kiss from a Rose" (Seal) or "Swim to the Moon" (BTBAM) both which I think would be awesome. Gangnam Style would be funny too.
Quote by iro-bot31
I would definitely donate $10 or so for that, if you could get enough people.

There could be some awesome covers. Someone on Reddit mentioned getting them to cover either "Kiss from a Rose" (Seal) or "Swim to the Moon" (BTBAM) both which I think would be awesome.

Holy shit, Swim to the Moon

I still say that Bohemian Rhapsody would be hysterically awesome
___

Quote by The_Blode
Quote by gonzaw
Cant they just get a normal loan or something?
Yeah I have no idea how the music industry actually works, but if you can produce the record just with crowdfunding, it means you can produce it just with money (even if you don't have a label), so why not just get a loan, produce the record, get sales back from it, pay off the loan and get profit?

Like...almost every small business in existence?

Or am I missing something?

Cuz loans are shitty. If you want the band to be paying off an album for ten years then go ahead. In the mean time not being able to afford to make another album.

Contrary to popular belief bands don't have to pay back the loan for the album they make with the labels money, if the album doesn't break even then the loan is dropped and the label makes a loss, which is normally a warning that the band perhaps aren't worth the investment they made last time.

Quote by DisarmGoliath
Quote by Macabre_Turtle
That's just how it reads to me on the internet without body language and tone of voice.

Ahh, so you have absolutely nothing to help you to interpret what I'm saying apart from the words I use, that's possibly why you're interpreting things wrongly then.
I'd love for them to write a song about me. I don't fancy paying $2500 for it though
PARTYPARTYPARTYPARTYPARTYPARTYPARTYPARTYPARTYPARTYPARTY
Quote by SlackerBabbath
Ahh, so you have absolutely nothing to help you to interpret what I'm saying apart from the words I use, that's possibly why you're interpreting things wrongly then.

Yup. Now I'm interpreting that you're kind of a dick, but I could be getting that wrong too, I guess.
Quote by Macabre_Turtle
Yup. Now I'm interpreting that you're kind of a dick, but I could be getting that wrong too, I guess.

Well it would obviously seem reasonable to assume that you are getting that wrong too, considering that you're having trouble with your interpretations.
Quote by gonzaw
I suppose there are indeed interests with crowdfunding.
As in, if you pay X$ to them before-hand, you get a "perk" whose value is greater than X.
So if you pay 10$ you get the CD that would normally cost 15$ maybe.

Wouldn't that be a sort of interest given to the people funding you this way?
Yeah, but this kind of interest also give the consumers a bigger incentive to buy the product, because it's i) Cheaper than the finished product ii) There's the (quite cool) perks iii) You are supporting the band in a more direct way than just buying their record would be.
Since it's probably mostly the fans these advantages would appeal to, I'm not sure how much of a difference this will make, though.
Quote by T7E
once every band starts doing it, people wont be giving as much money because they will have to spread it around more. i thinks
You're still basically paying in advance for the album, though, which should continue to have some appeal. Of course, if every buyer only paid to have the album produced, there'd be no money left for the actual artists. I doubt that this would seriously become a problem, though.
And there's always the perks, which big fans of certain bands will only pay for with those few bands, although it is probably true that these will become less appealing as the novelty declines.

Edit:
Quote by SlackerBabbath
Well it would obviously seem reasonable to assume that you are getting that wrong too, considering that you're having trouble with your interpretations.
Well, he would certainly be correct in observing that you're being kind of a dick, take it from me whose observations have more accuracy than his. Your general dickiness is considerable lower though, and unworthy of the status "dick".
Last edited by lncognito at Jan 19, 2013,
Quote by SlackerBabbath

Nah, I think I got it.
My question is this. Theres a couple of thousand people who got perks that involve getting their name in the physical liner notes of the CD, one of them being me. Isnt that going to be a shitload of names? haha
Quote by neidnarb11890
fuck bands who use kickstarter or w/e to fund $125k recording projects & fuck people who think that is cool or DIY.

And why is this bad?
Quote by Prophecy69
And why is this bad?

He must have a hard on for DIY.

Technically funding a hundredofthousand recording project is not in fitting with the rough and ready "DIY Aesthetic"

Quote by DisarmGoliath
The thing is most of these bands doing indie go-go and kickstarter and doing really well already have a pretty dedicated fan base. Smaller bands most likely will still have to use labels to spread their music like the old days.

There are so many bands on the internet that you can find, you need that extra help to get above the rest.
Quote by neidnarb11890
fuck bands who use kickstarter or w/e to fund $125k recording projects & fuck people who think that is cool or DIY.

I mean, I used to really dig PtH with Kezia, when they were actually "punk" 'n' stuff, but I'm backing this.