Page 3 of 5
Quote by Prophecy69
And why is this bad?

He doesn't like the band therefore it's bad
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Quote by neidnarb11890
fuck bands who use kickstarter or w/e to fund $125k recording projects & fuck people who think that is cool or DIY.
Thank you
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Quote by MakinLattes
They don't make it easy to find all of the projects that failed, or which have little to no funding.

Very true. He just wanted an example of a band hardly anyone has heard of doing this successfully though.
In my heart I'm with you

every night
Quote by WCPhils
He doesn't like the band therefore it's bad

That is so, so very, not it at all.
Quote by blake1221
That is so, so very, not it at all.

I really don't get the complaints.

It wouldn't bother me even if I hated the band. They aren't forcing anyone to donate. People can give them as much money as they want imo
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Quote by WCPhils

It wouldn't bother me even if I hated the band. They aren't forcing anyone to donate. People can give them as much money as they want imo

I think their problem is with people calling this DIY when it isn't.
In my heart I'm with you

every night
Quote by WCPhils

And they're being a bit frivolous with their expenditures. It does NOT require that much money to record and produce a great sounding album.
Last edited by blake1221 at Jan 19, 2013,
And they're overcharging for their albums. Especially when it's your fans paying for the album.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Quote by element4433
And they're overcharging for their albums. Especially when it's your fans paying for the album.

But they get perks and crap. If people wanna wait for the album to drop and pay regular prices, then it's fine. They can.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Quote by blake1221
And they're being a bit frivolous with their expenditures. It does NOT require that much money to record and produce a great sounding album.

I don't think it does either. I just don't really give a shit how much they spend. So far over 5000 different people have donated. I really doubt they expected this much money to be given to them. They can spend as much money as the want as far as I'm concerned. It's not like it's all coming from me.

No one forced me to donate. I like the band, I get a vinyl and some other stuff, and it will probably sound great. Completely worth it imo

I don't care if it's not "DIY" or whatever. That means pretty much nothing to me.
___

Quote by The_Blode
Quote by WCPhils

I don't care if it's not "DIY" or whatever. That means pretty much nothing to me.

And this is where we differ. DIY means a whole hell of a lot to a whole hell of a lot of people. It's just something you wouldn't understand.
Quote by blake1221
And this is where we differ. DIY means a whole hell of a lot to a whole hell of a lot of people. It's just something you wouldn't understand.

That's what I figured :/
___

Quote by The_Blode
Quote by ChemicalFire
But they get perks and crap. If people wanna wait for the album to drop and pay regular prices, then it's fine. They can.
Perks like paying for your own "special" album art? Perks like buying guitars for the band to sign and then sell back to you?

Where do I sign?!
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano

Quote by element4433
Perks like paying for your own "special" album art? Perks like buying guitars for the band to sign and then sell back to you?

Where do I sign?!

You don't, because you don't want them.

See how it works yet?

Quote by DisarmGoliath
Quote by element4433

Where do I sign?!

Good thing you don't have to donate...
___

Quote by The_Blode
I'm not overly concerned how other people spend their money, it just seems a tad manipulative for an established band to use their fans like this. I mean, they are the ones already supporting you. Why not front the money yourself (like all those bands who also don't have a label) and recoup your expenses after the album is released? They don't have the safety net of a label fronting the production costs anymore, so instead they turn to their fans to pay up. If the album sucks or sells poorly, they don't have much responsibility. Or any.

I wouldn't bat an eye at helping a band I liked record some shit, but $125k is exorbitant considering their circumstances.
Last edited by MakinLattes at Jan 19, 2013,
Quote by WCPhils
Good thing you don't have to donate...
That's not the point I'm making. I'm not going to buy this album regardless cuz I don't really care about the band. The point I'm making is that the incentives they've included takes advantage of their fans, while masquerading as fan service. It doesn't matter if "I don't have to give." It's not right for a band to basically con fans out of their money.

Think about this. Remember that "Pumped Up Kicks" song? That was recorded in the singer's bedroom. He thought he was just demoing, but that demo is the version you heard on the radio. If a top ten song can be recorded in a home studio, without a 100K budget, why does some deathcore or whatever band need that much money?
Quote by MakinLattes
I'm not overly concerned how other people spend their money, it just seems a tad manipulative for an established band to use their fans like this. I mean, they are the ones already supporting you. Why not front the money yourself (like all those bands who also don't have a label) and recoup your expenses after the album is released? They don't have the safety net of a label fronting the production costs anymore, so instead they turn to their fans to pay up. If the album sucks or sells poorly, they doesn't have much responsibility. Or any.

I wouldn't bat an eye at helping a band I liked record some shit, but $125k is exorbitant considering their circumstances.
Pretty much this.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano

I look at it more as, "Hey you guys want to donate? If you do we'll give you stuff." I saw it as donating to them, not as buying an album.

I don't see it as a big deal since I would have bought the vinyl anyway.

Quote by element4433
some deathcore band
I know you probably put that there on purpose, but it mad me lol

Also, I should add that I did this when they didn't even have 60 grand. I don't know if I would have now that they have over 200 thousand
___

Quote by The_Blode
Last edited by WCPhils at Jan 19, 2013,
But they're not giving you anything. You're giving them something.

My main problem is with the huge amount of money. If they were like "We need 20,000 to record out album" I'd be like "Alright."

If you're "going DIY" or "going labelless" you gotta cut back and have a reasonable budget.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano

Quote by element4433

My main problem is with the huge amount of money. If they were like "We need 20,000 to record out album" I'd be like "Alright."

If you're "going DIY" or "going labelless" you gotta cut back and have a reasonable budget.

That's how a ton of Kickstarters work though. You donate and get something in return. I don't see why is everyone freaking out about this.
___

Quote by The_Blode
If they had a smaller target I doubt it'd make that much difference. People don't donate in relation to their goal... or at least I don't.

People would donate if the budget was 20k or 2k.

And just because they're "going label-less" doesn't mean they're going hardcorepunk diy **** da system.

It just means they don't want to be signed to a label anymore...

Quote by DisarmGoliath
Read our posts?
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano

Quote by ChemicalFire
If they had a smaller target I doubt it'd make that much difference. People don't donate in relation to their goal... or at least I don't.

People would donate if the budget was 20k or 2k.

And just because they're "going label-less" doesn't mean they're going hardcorepunk diy **** da system.

It just means they don't want to be signed to a label anymore...
Yo dawg, you don't need 100k to make a progmetal album.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano

Quote by element4433

Considering their fanbase will very happily fund them to do things in this manner they demonstrably don't have to do that whatsoever.

You have a personal issue with the band for not budgeting themselves and taking the approach that you want them to take based on your own little morals & beliefs. Cool beans. That's pretty much irrelevant in this circumstance. Have fun crying on an internet forum lel.
Quote by element4433
Read our posts?

I am

You're upset because it's not really DIY or whatever

I don't care if it's not DIY. I just want an awesome album. I don't give a shit how much it costs. I've never listened to an album and cared about how much it costed to make
___

Quote by The_Blode
Nah man. It's cuz they manipulated their fans into giving them 200k under the guise of DIY
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano

Quote by element4433
Nah man. It's cuz they manipulated their fans into giving them 200k under the guise of DIY

lol, no
___

Quote by The_Blode
Quote by Thrashtastic15
Considering their fanbase will very happily fund them to do things in this manner they demonstrably don't have to do that whatsoever.

You have a personal issue with the band for not budgeting themselves and taking the approach that you want them to take based on your own little morals & beliefs. Cool beans. That's pretty much irrelevant in this circumstance. Have fun crying on an internet forum lel.

My morals of not stealing a thousand dollars from fans for a pizza party?
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano

Quote by WCPhils
lol, no

Umm yes? "Help us rally against the label system by giving me fifty dollars so your name will be printed on a piece of paper nobody will read. We'll show them!"
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano

Quote by element4433

Do you even know what the word steal means?

**** you. And **** anybody else bad-mouthing Protest.
Quote by neidnarb11890
the chinese take-out place my family always ordered from gave you chopsticks, so as a kid it was fun to try & eat with chopsticks
now i just use a fork, 'cuz nothing is fun anymore & i just want to shovel food into my mouth to fill the void
Quote by guitarist41
Do you even know what the word steal means?

**** you. And **** anybody else bad-mouthing Protest.

Well, this is pleasant.
Quote by element4433
Umm yes? "Help us rally against the label system by giving me fifty dollars so your name will be printed on a piece of paper nobody will read. We'll show them!"

Or you know "Hey, help us record this album. You don't have to give anything but if you do you get some stuff in return and hopefully we will be able to record an awesome album for you"

Totally stealing
___

Quote by The_Blode
Is the band that has be deteriorating in quality since their first album showing us the future?

No.
...Stapling helium to penguins since 1949.
Quote by element4433

You know less about the meaning of "stealing" than the people who think an i-pod full of stolen music is worth 8 billion dollars.
Quote by Todd Hart
Is the band that has be deteriorating in quality since their first album showing us the future?

No.

Lol at all the butthurt PTH fans in here. They like cock in their anuses ololololo
Quote by slapsymcdougal
I'm cockblocked regularly by my appearance and personality.
Quote by WCPhils
Or you know "Hey, help us record this album. You don't have to give anything but if you do you get some stuff in return and hopefully we will be able to record an awesome album for you"

Totally stealing

"Now give me a thousand dollars to eat pizza with me."
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano

Quote by element4433

That's not stealing. That's saying "want to donate a grand to the band to help us record our album in a good studio without any label connections and then we'll eat pizza and hang out as thanks?". Then someone says "sure dude" and pays up and they do it.

You are the one who is blending the reality of the situation with misinformation due to creating false labels, expectations, costs, etc with your "DIY" stupid trash.
^
Quote by element4433

It's their money. idgaf how they spend it
___

Quote by The_Blode
Last edited by WCPhils at Jan 19, 2013,