Poll: How Many Guitars Do You Own?
Poll Options
View poll results: How Many Guitars Do You Own?
13 7%
24 12%
32 16%
20 10%
27 14%
5-10
54 27%
10-15
15 8%
15-20
6 3%
20-25
4 2%
25+
5 3%
Voters: 200.
Page 1 of 2
How many is too many? I own 4 with my fifth coming in the mail as we speak, so how many is too many? Will you ever say, "I've got enough". To be honest, I don't think I'll ever have too many
we had this thread a few weeks ago.
Quote by Axelfox
Please understand how little we as a community care
Your just starting if you only have 4-5 guitars.
You have too many when it cost more to change strings than you have in your bank account.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I have 5 but looking to buy one and sell 2 lol... So my number is always changing. Do basses count? lol
How many guitars is too many? Man, that's like asking how many beautiful hot and willing girlfriends is too many! I want them all!!!
"Drinking is a skill and should be recognized as such!"

Quote by gregs1020
FatalGear41 knows the ways of the obscure. I hear it's just not with Gibsons. Beware, Halloween approaches...

Quote by Spaz91
DAMNIT FATALGEAR YOU RUINED MUH FLOW!
is there such thing as too many guitars? I have 6 and can't play any of them decently. Still learning though
just had an impulse buy on a very cheap, yet flawless conditioned Michael Kelly Patriot. raised my total count, acoustics and basses included, to 6. I intend to get more.
Quote by pedromiles101
you're not gonna want to take a dump in a gross, off-colored, vintage toilet. you want something that is white and pearly; something that shines. something that you can put your cheeks against and say, "f*** yeah"
Even if I get totally pissed at my lack of skill and shitty tone sometimes, I still think guitar is a fun hobby. Never have enough!
Legion!
Original 1969 Fender Jazzmaster
Jackson JS32R Dinky "Curry"
ESP/LTD SN-1000
Jackson Stars Kelly "Aiko"
Ormsby SX6 prototype
Dingwall NG-2 "Kimmy"
MiM Fender Jazz Bass "Pancho"
EVH 5153
Quote by fstkmaro
is there such thing as too many guitars? I have 6 and can't play any of them decently. Still learning though

This is me, minus one guitar.
I think I may have to much. I only really play 2 of them out of the 12 I currently own. I have a 6 string bass coming in soon for the bassist in my band to use with our 7 string songs, so I'll have 13 by the end of the month. I totaled all of my guitars a while back. In the past 4 years of playing, I've owned 17 (Soon 18 with the bass) different guitars.
Ibanez
Universe UV777 Signed by Steve Vai
Prestige RG2027X with Bare Knuckle Aftermaths
RG7621 swirled
Prestige RG1420
AEL207E
I have 11 guitars.

So far this year, I've put $400 down on a limited edition Malden on Tuesday, am talking to a different retailer about a Reverend limited edition, and because the slab of walnut I bought was big enough to be cut into single-piece tops & sides for TWO guitars, my custom guitar order to a luthier has been doubled.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

alhaq369
It is very impotent to success a business.
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Jan 18, 2013,
I currently have four guitars (2 electrics and 2 electrics) and I've owned seven guitars overall. I'll probably never feel like I have enough, but I'm happy with whay I have. I've really been GASing another Kramer, though.
Skip the username, call me Billy
I own two guitars and five basses. Looking to sell two basses and add another short scale bass to the fold.

As far as they're all concerned I have a few rules.
Any new guitars or basses must be either; more versatile than the last, or have a completely different tone, which means I won't allow myself to own more than one SSS strat.
Quote by FatalGear41
In the end, the only question is: what bass would Jesus play?

I think he's a Fender Jazz guy.
I have a Les Paul Standard Faded and a Baja Telecaster with an R7 in the post. I can get nearly every sound I want with those guitars.
Quote by FatalGear41
How many guitars is too many? Man, that's like asking how many beautiful hot and willing girlfriends is too many! I want them all!!!

This. +1
Quote by treborillusion
Low end Epiphone = fire wood.

LTD Surveyor 4
Kramer Imperial
Engl Gigmaster E315
Marshall 1936 JCM900 lead cab
My website
I've had something like 20 in my lifetime. I've got 7 now, I've bought 4 this year and sold 2.

I'd say that if you are still learning really basic stuff 1 or 2 guitars is enough and time should be spent playing not GASing.

I'd never buy two guitars that are too similar. My strat has the Billy Corgan configuration but I'm starting to think it's just a bit dull sounding, it's got very little character compared to my Tele, so I'm gonna chuck a Lace Gold pickguard in so I can use it for Modern blues stuff, and the Tele for older stuff.

It's no big deal, I'd happily use any guitar for anything.
Quote by Shredwizard445
Go ahead and spend your money, I don't care. It won't make you sound better.

Quote by Shredwizard445
Sure upgrading your gear will make you sound better.

Last edited by Mephaphil at Jan 19, 2013,
Currently have 2 cheap acoustic, a strat copy, a Ibanez GIO and a Jackson RR5. Might get a 7-string in the future.
baab
you can have too many, to be fair. like a thousand, that might be too many.
Quote by crownegamers
I saw in a couple of pictures that on Bucketheads Les Paul (only some pictures) that his neck pickup is painted in white. Can anyone explain to me why he would do this, and if there are any pros and cons.

Quote by dspellman
The guy wears a KFC Bucket and a white mask during performances, and you're interested in the color of his pickup covers?

I read that Jimmy Page has over 1,500 guitars.
Quote by Shredwizard445

Quote by Shredwizard445

Quote by Mephaphil

He's Jimmy Paige, he can have as many as he ****in wants
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Three electrics, one electro-acoustic.

I try to justify it by having different tunings or weights. I wouldn't bother having guitars very similar to each other, that would be pointless.

Unless they were ridiculously sexy of course.
Quote by Robbgnarly
He's Jimmy Paige, he can have as many as he ****in wants

True. But also, Jimmy Page can too!

(I'm a smart arse, sorry )

Quote by JokerGrin
Three electrics, one electro-acoustic.

I try to justify it by having different tunings or weights. I wouldn't bother having guitars very similar to each other, that would be pointless.

Unless they were ridiculously sexy of course.

If my girlfriend asked me why I got a new guitar and I said, 'Oh, for a different tuning' and she said how much? And I replied, 'Oh for the Gibson LP? £1,500' she'd ****ing freak and kill me.
Quote by Shredwizard445

Quote by Shredwizard445

Last edited by Mephaphil at Jan 19, 2013,
Quote by Mephaphil

If my girlfriend asked me why I got a new guitar and I said, 'Oh, for a different tuning' and she said how much? And I replied, 'Oh for the Gibson LP? £1,500' she'd ****ing freak and kill me.

Hehe yeah, my girl doesn't understand why I need more than one. Too bad, because I sure as hell ain't stopping at four :P

Who needs reasons when you have a sexy-ass geetar?
i currently have 4. 3- electrics and 1- acoustic. (and a bass but i didn't count that in my poll response). i use them all so not to many and a couple of more would be fine with me. as long as you use them then never to many.
Today I've used my LP and my Strat. I have 2 Teles, but the MIA has no high E and I haven't bothered to restring it yet.

The MiM doesn't get played too often, it's mostly the guitar I let my friends play, even though I love that guitar. It doesn't sound as nice as the others but I'll never get rid of it. (Sentimental reasons.)

I have a Squier that gets reliced, respray, smashed up and put back together.

And 2 acoustics. A cheap Fender that plays really nice, got lucky on that one and a Stratacoustic that I don't like too much.
Quote by Shredwizard445

Quote by Shredwizard445

I have 5 guitars and that's enough for me (for now )
Quote by Axelfox
my mom and i went to a furry con and on the second day she said she didn't come and pay money to go see dumb shit.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
I have 7 electrics, 1 acustic and 1 bass
PRS CE22
Sanox LP clone (late 70's)
Squier Tele
home made Tele
Epi G-400
Dean EVO
Ibanez JS-100 (piece of shit)

Rouge DA-100 acoustic

Squier MB-5
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
How many guitars are too many? When you have more guitars than there are different tunings that you use. Any more and you are either just upgrading an old or are satisfying your greed.

That said, I have just 2 at the moment, soon 3. And I still want MOAR!

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
I currently have an electric and a couple of acoustics. If I had more money, I would likely have 15 or so.
Quote by Mephaphil

1500 sounds ridiculously high, considering, say, Steve Vai has about 250.

OT, I have 3 electrics that I play very regularly, a bass which I use for recording and occasionally play, and an acoustic which I don't use very often.

You only have too many when you physically run out of room to store them I would say.
Last edited by Random3 at Jan 19, 2013,
Quote by WholeLottaIzzy
I have a Les Paul Standard Faded and a Baja Telecaster with an R7 in the post. I can get nearly every sound I want with those guitars.

this. i only have as many as I need.
I'll probably buy a MiM Thinline Tele in the next month or two so that'll be 8 and at some point I'd like a PRS, maybe the cheaper Navarro one, and I'd like a nice acoustic so I'll probably get a Taylor. And that's 10. I think that should be it for a while.

I wouldn't mind an old SG or a Fender Select or CS one day. If I get really lucky and a 59 LP or a 57 Strat comes my way for the right price, I'd take that.

This thread is not good for GAS.
Quote by Shredwizard445

Quote by Shredwizard445

i think too many is when your mind can't keep track of what guitars you have. for example, if you wouldn't immediately notice if one was missing, you have too many
Happiness is a warm Vox AC30
Quote by Random3
1500 sounds ridiculously high, considering, say, Steve Vai has about 250.

It does sound silly high, but it seems to be the consensus. He's older than Vai, probably has more money and may have really bad GAS. Like me, just not as bad.
Quote by Shredwizard445

Quote by Shredwizard445

Quote by FatalGear41
How many guitars is too many? Man, that's like asking how many beautiful hot and willing girlfriends is too many!

Quote by Dave_Mc
you can have too many, to be fair. like a thousand, that might be too many.

dave cuts off beautiful, hot and willing girlfriends at 999.

noted.

side thought: doesn't the fact that they're "girlfriends" count for "willing"? nevermind, just tested that theory that theory. girlfriend =/= willing.
Why don't they make mouse flavored cat food?
Last edited by gregs1020 at Jan 19, 2013,
Greg No means No reguardless
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by jeleopard
Even if I get totally pissed at my lack of skill and shitty tone sometimes, I still think guitar is a fun hobby. Never have enough!

+1

I only have one now since my car keeps breaking
Page 1 of 2