MeTAL SOLDIER
It´s a dog...
593 IQ
How do you like to keep your instrument locked to your strap?

witch of these methods you prefer and why?
Robbgnarly
Tab Contributor
1,177 IQ
Straplocks
I use Schaller and Dunlop I like both. And I use Leather straps except for my G-400 it has a Seatbelt strap
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
racertj5
Wannabe Guitar God
330 IQ
I use a set of rubber washers.
"Music is the only thing that makes sense anymore man, play it loud enough it keeps the demons at bay." - Jojo from ATU
Currently Own:
Ibanez GAX70
Peavey VYPYR 15.
Mitchell Acoustic M0100
Johnson Acoustic JG 100
Eppicurt
Don't even like pedals.
2,594 IQ
Glue.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
FatalGear41
War Mastiff!!!
1,381 IQ
Straplocks, hands down. The only locking strap I ever tried was made by DiMarzio, and while it worked, it was so thin that the edge of the strap bit into my neck. I prefer the Schaller locks, but I have Dunlop disc locks on a few guitars and basses that work just fine.
"Drinking is a skill and should be recognized as such!"

Quote by gregs1020
FatalGear41 knows the ways of the obscure. I hear it's just not with Gibsons. Beware, Halloween approaches...

Quote by Spaz91
DAMNIT FATALGEAR YOU RUINED MUH FLOW!
racertj5
Wannabe Guitar God
330 IQ
Quote by MeTAL SOLDIER
How???

Easy, put the strap on the button and stretch the washer over it.
"Music is the only thing that makes sense anymore man, play it loud enough it keeps the demons at bay." - Jojo from ATU
Currently Own:
Ibanez GAX70
Peavey VYPYR 15.
Mitchell Acoustic M0100
Johnson Acoustic JG 100
UnmagicMushroom
Banded
702 IQ
Quote by racertj5
Easy, put the strap on the button and stretch the washer over it.

I do this too, except I unscrew the strap button first so I don't have to stretch the material and I use metal washers. Never had a strap fall off ever.
mmolteratx
UG God
3,786 IQ
I just use oversized strap pegs.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Blktiger0
The Name's Devon! ;)
3,630 IQ
I use Schallers exclusively. When I got my first set, I had done an ass load of research, read tons of reviews, and asked everyone's opinion that I came in contact with, and anyone that did prefer another type said that they liked Schaller too, they just used the other ones, usually for reasons like how they operated to come on/off or because of price/availability.

In the end, I got the Schallers, and they've worked perfectly for me for years. After getting them on two of my guitars, when I got my most recent one, I met with the guy (it was a used deal) at Guitar Center specifically so that I could but a set of Schallers and strings in the same trip

The nice thing about using them on all of my guiatars is that our straps are interchangable, so if I forget one strap or it breaks (somehow?) or something along those lines, I have backups that will lock onto my guitar. However, with Schallers, even if you only have a regular strap without the locks on it, they operate as regular strap buttons, too.

If I was really set on keeping my strap on my guitar, I would probably just replace the strap buttons with a Screw Eye and use a Carabiner to hold the strap on. If I was getting really paranoid, I wouldn't use a strap, but instead a chain.
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech
2,565 IQ
I'm a Schaller man myself. Here's the thing. If you find a really nice strap that you must have (and a good strap does make a difference) all you do is whip the clips off the old strap, screw 'em onto the new strap and you're off and running.
You never know what sort of strap you may run into. I have a hand made 3" two ply leather strap on my Yammy SG, which is quite a heavy guitar, and it's fantastic. I am carrying an old motorbike injury to my left shoulder so I have to watch it. A good strap really does make a difference when it comes to fatigue. Even if you are uninjured, it matters.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Robbgnarly
Tab Contributor
1,177 IQ
no you un screw the old srap-buttons and replace them with the Schaller ones, All you need is a phillips head screwdriver
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
H4T3BR33D3R
Resident Gibson Whore
2,488 IQ
I use Schallers personally. I used to use the cheaper plastic ones but they break all the damn time.
Quote by Axelfox
my mom and i went to a furry con and on the second day she said she didn't come and pay money to go see dumb shit.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Deadpool_25
1,596 IQ
Schaller Straplocks
Guitars
- Ibanez S570DXQM
- Ibanez RG7421
- Fender John Mayer Strat
- Fender MIJ Strat
- Epiphone Bonamassa LP
- Epiphone Dot

Amps
- Axe FX II XL+
- Tweed Blues Jr. NOS
- Vypyr 60

Robbgnarly
Tab Contributor
1,177 IQ
yes dunlop strap locks are inserted into the button part and is held in by ball berrings, schallers have a U that slides around the button and a spring loaded shaft keeps it in place
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
ikey_
4,739 IQ
i would say strap locks and a nice strap allow a more refined setup, as most locking strap i see are plastic and nylon.

in terms of function they both do their job well. friends locking strap holds well and required no guitar modification....which is what he wanted.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
Blktiger0
The Name's Devon! ;)
3,630 IQ
Quote by Robbgnarly
no you un screw the old srap-buttons and replace them with the Schaller ones, All you need is a phillips head screwdriver

I would advise having a crescent wrench as well. I like to tighten the hell out of the piece that goes on the strap, as the nut can come loose after a while if it goes unchecked. If you tighten it nice and snug the first time, though, it'll stay on forever. I actually used pliers AND a wrench.

Basically with Schallers, you replace the strap button, which just involves unscrewing the old buttons and putting the Schaller ones on. Depending on your guitar, you MIGHT have to "fill" the old screw hole with toothpicks and some wood glue, if your guitar has larger screws. Alternatively, you can drill out the buttons and use the original screws, but I wouldn't advise that one. It works fine, and that's what I did with my Les Paul, but the filler method is the way to go.

Then, you just use a wrench and tighten the locking parts onto your strap. You can finger-tighten them, but I advise using a wrench and pliers.

Overall, they're pretty painless.
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech
2,565 IQ
The way to fit a Schaller to the strap is to use two spanners. One on the nut and the other on the clip itself. You have to nip them up nice and tight or else the nut can come adrift after the leather settles.

Most times the screw hole in the guitar is too big for the Schaller screw. It's an easy fix. Get a wooden match and carefully pare it down until it fits snugly into the hole. Dip the match in PVA glue, tap it into the hole and cut it off flush with a pair of wire cutters. Wait a couple of hours and then drill and fit the new screw. In reality you don't even need to drill because the Schaller screw will behave as a self tapper and will just cut its way through the match without issue.

Too easy.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Jan 19, 2013,
Tremolo Bum
Addicted to FR
1,607 IQ
My Jacksons have such huge strap buttons that it's hard to get my straps on them to begin with. If I was worried about it I would probably just do the washer method.

Jackson RR3 Rhoads and DK2M Dinky
Peavey 6505+ w/ Avatar 212 cab
Ibanez TS9, ISP Decimator, MXR 10 Band EQ
-Digitech RP1000
jthm_guitarist
"funny" but "unmemorable"
1,474 IQ
Quote by Tremolo Bum
My Jacksons have such huge strap buttons that it's hard to get my straps on them to begin with. If I was worried about it I would probably just do the washer method.

That's one thing I love about Jacksons.

I just put a piece of electrical tape over the "leftover hole" in the end of the strap after it goes on the button. That, and I just use solid straps and make sure it's not twisted around. Personally I would never use straplocks unless they were free or something; in all my years of playing guitar I've never even had a hint of a close call when it comes to the strap coming off. I've seen it come off for a few of my friends but to me it's not really a piece of the guitar that needs extra locking.

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
MrFlibble
Puts a bangin' donk on it
4,127 IQ
Straplocks. I don't know why anybody would want a locking strap; far too limited. Using straplocks means you can stick any strap on any guitar. Plus—and more importantly—the metal straplock systems last a hell of a lot better than the often plastic locking strap systems.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Viban
UG's resident bum
1,669 IQ
I just sew my straps on, haven't had a single one fail yet. The only guitar I haven't done this on is my dad's old PR1660 and that thing has the boomerang strap buttons and I have never ad a strap give up on me using those.
Quote by R45VT
Bastards.
chatterbox272
1,237 IQ
Another straplock fan here. I like the flexibility to use whatever strap I like, and use it on whatever instrument I like. If I need to use it on an instrument not fitted with locks for whatever reason I just remove them from my strap and I can still use my strap.
Not to mention there's some really good metal schaller clones on eBay that go for ~$4-$5 and even if the strap part isn't quite as good as a real schaller the buttons are perfect for whenever you get a new guitar and are completely compatible with real schallers.
one-dead-cop
Banned
64 IQ
Quote by MeTAL SOLDIER
Is it hard to install schallers?

Here. I could've picked any of the dozens of videos on youtube about installing them but this video is pretty funny.
Viban
UG's resident bum
1,669 IQ
Quote by one-dead-cop
Here. I could've picked any of the dozens of videos on youtube about installing them but this video is pretty funny.

you forgot to add the video.
Quote by R45VT
Bastards.