Page 1 of 5
What do you think of when gay men talk with the stereotypical "gay" accent. Very effeminate, sometimes singing words, or if it's really stereotypical there's a slight lisp (although I've never seen the lisp IRL). Does it seem genuine to you, or do you feel like it's contrived or forced?

I don't think of it as just a stereotype at least from what I've seen. I go to a music school, and many of the studios here have a lot of gay guys (especially the vocal, woodwinds and violins/violas), and just about every gay guy I've met has that kind of effeminate and stereotypically gay way of talking. Some more than others, but it's always there. I also had a job where over 3 years I worked with multiple gay guys, and all of them had it, too.

I personally don't want to say that it's forced, as that'd be a hell of a coincidence. However, the idea that a person's sexual preference has an affect on the way they talk seems pretty strange to me.
Quote by The Madcap
Does it seem genuine to you, or do you feel like it's contrived or forced?

Definitely seems like something that's forced to me.
I never understood how they got that voice. I mean, either they were practically genetically born to be gay or they changed their voice to what they think suits them. It usually kind of annoys me but I won't treat them different because of it.
Quote by Sliide90027
But as a bigoted lemming, you have so cry an Alinslyite slur revealing you lack of reason and sense.

Quote by MusicLord16
BOB 1. ur 20 and two u like evil things and idk if u worship the devil
I've always wondered this too - I presume it must be a choice by the person, to identify themself as gay, but I've always thought whether that means there is a turning point where they suddenly just decide to start talking in a completely unnatural (to their original) voice. Obviously some people will already have a voice like that, and maybe it's a gradual thing, but I can't imagine somebody's sexual preference being directly related to their natural voice.
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
It can feel forced at times, but I'm sure it's simply from hanging out with others that speak the same way. It rubs off on the next mouth.

Which is nothing new for them.
Last edited by blake1221 at Jan 19, 2013,
In secondary school, one of my best friends had it, he swore he was straight...

I didn't care, and everyone thought he was gay anyway he was; Very feminine.
Quote by laid-to-waste
look nigga, if you're chillin with 5 bros and 2 hos, you're gonna wanna pay attention to all of em equally. not moon over the hos forever and laugh at every shitty thing they say and just stare at them all night, like some of my mates do.
Quote by DisarmGoliath
I've always wondered this too - I presume it must be a choice by the person, to identify themself as gay, but I've always thought whether that means there is a turning point where they suddenly just decide to start talking in a completely unnatural (to their original) voice. Obviously some people will already have a voice like that, and maybe it's a gradual thing, but I can't imagine somebody's sexual preference being directly related to their natural voice.

It's like how whales are shifting the frequency of their songs down so that they can be distinguished from the droning of sea vessel engines. Only instead of sea vessel engines it's straight people.
i've always wondered this. it doesnt seem natural, but just about every gay guy i've met has something up with their voice like that. so i have no idea.
it probably just has something to do with their flamboyantness. although not every gay guy i've met has been "flamboyant."

tl;dr: i need a snack. maybe a tastykake.
You dirty piece of shit, you.

Quote by FireFromTheVoid
I smoked weed with my mom once.
It was the weirdest moment of my life, and I`ve been caught with my dick in my hand, by my brother, with a giant close up of a dudes face on the tv.

Twatter
Yeah, I've always thought that was a little weird too. It just seems odd that the majority of gay dudes would have that vocal inflection.

And, I know/have known straight guys with feminine voices and gay guys with totally normal guy voices. I dunno.
I have a slight lispy quality to my speaking voice and i'm straight, also have no idea where it came from since no one I know has it.
I thought it was do it with gay people being born with female hormones
Quote by John Petrucci
When it comes to practicing, I would spend about 63 hours a day
Idk, I never thought about that, though I know some straight guys who talk "gay". Maybe they identify better with fellow gay guys by talking like that.
2013 #5 Uger
2012 #7 Uger

Quote by jetfuel495
Jesus, Horsedick, you are my hero

Quote by JayT44
don't worry guys his girlfriend is black, she said it was okay for him to say that.

Stalk Me

Shitty Covers

Original Music

Lastfm
I feel it is forced so they have identity trademark saying yeah I'm gay. Out of all the gay people I know only two who talk "normal". Though they are so nonchalant about being gay you would never suspect it until they said something.
There's this one guy that I know that talks like that. I've never actually met him though; I've only talked to him over the phone. He works for a promoting agency that sends us music, so it's a business relationship and therefore I can't ask him if he is gay or if he just talks like it.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Every gay dude I've met (tons) have had a noticeably softer voice and/or that accent. Idk man, it's weird.
Quote by willT08
Is there anything straight people are allowed to express interest in?

No, because it proves you're homophobic
2013 #5 Uger
2012 #7 Uger

Quote by jetfuel495

Quote by JayT44
don't worry guys his girlfriend is black, she said it was okay for him to say that.

Stalk Me

Shitty Covers

Original Music

Lastfm
Quote by willT08

Sports, but only the kind where people don't make any sort of physical contact.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by JackWhiteIsButts
Cartoon ponies.

And I`ve never met anybody that talks like that, I always thought it was just a joke.
One of the third friendliest users
Stratkat's pet

Quote by Momentosis
Void is a wanker that's why

Quote by due 07
the "gay accent" or whatever has more to do w/ childhood gender nonconformity than with actual homosexuality. the better question is why the fuck straight people are so concerned with how others speak.

http://homepage.psy.utexas.edu/homepage/class/psy158h/prevhonors/z111/project.htm

No one here is concerned about anything, it's a phenomenon we are just curious about.

I've wondered why too. Granted, there are a bunch of gay guys who don't talk like that, and straight guys who do. I've assumed hormones play a factor.
Quote by beadhangingOne
What happened to Snake?

Snake?

Snake?

SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE?!

Quote by TunerAddict
you can take my mouse and keyboard from my cold, slightly orange from cheetos, dead fingers

Quote by Baby Joel
Isis is amazing
Quote by willT08

i guess i just find it interesting that of all three "gay accent" threads i've seen here, none of them have been started by a queer person. and it seems like all three of these threads have pretty hostile heteronormative undertones--it's almost like people are buttmad not everyone speaks like them.
Quote by due 07
i guess i just find it interesting that of all three "gay accent" threads i've seen here, none of them have been started by a queer person. and it seems like all three of these threads have pretty hostile heteronormative undertones--it's almost like people are buttmad not everyone speaks like them.

due has the "gay" accent.
Quote by due 07

I haven't seen either of the other threads, but at least on this one I'm not really seeing anything homophobic or hostile or anything like that. That's at least not where I'm coming from. I think most people on the thread (I included) are just genuinely curious about it.
I'm in a music faculty too and some of the voices I hear are mental. I mean, there are some tenors around that if you didn't see them, you'd swear it was a woman speaking. I wonder about this all the time, because it seems odd to me that sexuality could have an effect on tone of voice or that you could learn to speak so radically different. It would be like if I just started talking with a Scottish accent all of a sudden and never stopped.

Then again, there are straight guys that talk with the gay voice so
Every single gay guy i've ever known has talked like that, although I know a straight who has it aswell
My Gear:
BC Rich Gunslinger Retro Blade
Vintage V100 Paradise + SD Alnico Pro Slash APH-2's
1963 Burns Short Scale Jazz Guitar
Dean Performer Florentine
Bugera 6260
Orange Micro Terror + cab
Digitech Bad Monkey
Zoom G2G
I only know two gay guys who talk like that. The rest talk no different than anyone else I know. One of my friends came out a few years ago and only recently did he start to talk with the gay accent. I figure it's just a cultural thing. If you hang around any group of people long enough, you'll develop your own distinct characteristics and it will spread to other people who join the group. I asked one of my gay friends (who didn't have the accent) about it and he said he had no idea why so many gay guys had it, but figured it was a cultural thing like I mentioned.
I've met plenty of people who talk like that, regardless of orientation. It's very bizarre. There isn't a "gay" speech pattern for women, which makes it even more weird. I always thought it would be rude to ask someone if they were forcing themselves to talk like that. I think some gay guys just happen to be born with that kind of "accent," and some guys force themselves to talk like that.

I honestly don't know, and I don't care enough to find out.
Last edited by MakinLattes at Jan 19, 2013,
Quote by ManInTheBox14
I haven't seen either of the other threads, but at least on this one I'm not really seeing anything homophobic or hostile or anything like that. That's at least not where I'm coming from. I think most people on the thread (I included) are just genuinely curious about it.

considering you called the way a subset of gay men speak "weird," it does feel like that's where you're coming from.
I find it interesting how you're the only hostile one in this "hostile heteronormative undertoned" thread.
if people were that interested in finding out, you'd think it would have occured to one of the many bright minds of the pit to either (a) ask someone who speaks that way or (b) do a two second google search. **** you all
It's also kind of disgusting how you use whatever socially imposed privilege you have to leap to the defense of minority groups at every opportunity.
Quote by MakinLattes
It's also kind of disgusting how you use whatever socially imposed privilege you have to leap to the defense of minority groups at every opportunity.

How is it disgusting? He's just leveling the playing field. And on top of that, he's not exactly wrong, is he?
Quote by MakinLattes
I find it interesting how you're the only hostile one in this "hostile heteronormative undertoned" thread.

I think he just has a reputation now where he has to go mental at the slightest hint of anything anyone does being outside of the norm.
Quote by MakinLattes

It's more fun when he brings it up in an unrelated discussion
2013 #5 Uger
2012 #7 Uger

Quote by jetfuel495

Quote by JayT44

Stalk Me

Shitty Covers

Original Music

Lastfm
I'll bet the straight guys who talk like that only do so to trick their female friends into thinking that they're gay so they can totes get involved in their sexy slumber parties and they can practice kissing and determine who has the nicest breasts. Clever bastards.
Page 1 of 5