Page 1 of 3
Supersonic-95
UG Member
364 IQ
Why?
What is it about metal music that you like? I just can't get it. I find it cheezy and annoying. It's melodic and harmonic content is bobbins. And then it isn't just the music, it's the culture that goes with it - so not-cool. Then every time I hear metal "singing" I find it hard not to laugh a little, I mean, it sounds really comical, something you'ed find in a George Formby film. I mean The Stone Roses are so much better than megadeath. Maybe I'm missing something?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGYlxK2C6NI
Last edited by Supersonic-95 at Jan 20, 2013,
Enix165
He's such a psycho!~
785 IQ
I like cheesy! I like the more melodic stuff with the high-pitched vocals and guitar harmonies everywhere. I also totally dig the majesty of some of the stuff(Images and Words-era Dream Theatre, what sexy beasts), there's just a very high level of...fantastical artistry to some of it. Appeals to me more than the smoking-cigars-in-a-dingy-club-with-a-Les Paul-in-a-black-suit thingie. To each his own, however!
Quote by SlayingDragons
Nah, I prefer to tune lower. My tunings usually go into weird Hebrew symbols.
Hydra150
cutebutt mcsexyface
1,793 IQ
When did they let you out of the FotB?
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
takachan
451 IQ
I guess musically we really like heavy fast riffing.
Melodic and shred solo virtuosity, however some forms of metal don't have much technical skills in solos or rhythm, but it still carries a certain character.

When it comes to classical or baroque music, metal musicians tend to be able to extract a lot more out of it than musicians from other genres.

In turn, I guess there's music for everyone in this world, not just metal.
jthm_guitarist
"funny" but "unmemorable"
1,474 IQ
It's broodle.

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
BradIon1995
127 IQ
To each his own. Metal has a special cameraderie in it's own for one thing, look at Iron Maiden, Dio, and early era Queensryche for some singing, and for technicality it is rivalled only by classical. Then there's the diversity. There's Neo-Classical, Thrash, Death, Black, Nu, Progressive, Power, Stoner, Doom, Glam and many, many more genres that can be labelled as "Metal". Some bands to have a listen to are Judas Priest (NWOBHM), Iron Maiden (NWOBHM), Slayer (Thrash), Black Sabbath (Arguably the originators of the genre), Hammerfall (Power Metal), Burzum (Black Metal), Death (Death Metal), SlipKnot (Nu-Metal), Yngwie Malmsteen (Neo-Classical Metal), Motley Crue (Glam Metal), Tool (Progressive Metal), and Pantera (Groove Metal), to name a few.
Ibanez TSA30 < Boss OS-2 < Custom Frankenstein Strat w/ scalloped board and Epi LP pickup
LightxGrenade
1,139 IQ
Quote by Supersonic-95
Why?
What is it about metal music that you like? I just can't get it. I find it cheezy and annoying. It's melodic and harmonic content is bobbins. And then it isn't just the music, it's the culture that goes with it - so not-cool. Then every time I hear metal "singing" I find it hard not to laugh a little, I mean, it sounds really comical, something you'ed find in a George Formby film. I mean The Stone Roses are so much better than megadeath. Maybe I'm missing something?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGYlxK2C6NI

Not all metal is super face paced, harmony driven music with people screaming/growling or a singer hitting super high notes. Judging by the way you described metal I think you went into it with a certain amount of skepticism already in place and you were never truly receptive towards it. I think trying to compel you is probably a waste of time since you've seem to already have staked a claim on what kind of music you enjoy and what kind of music you find ridiculous.
I'd put it this way, you seem to find it all ludicrous the way some people find people who are connoisseurs of certain items to be ridiculous. I would never spend hundreds of dollars on a bottle of wine. I don't care how special and rare it is, how the flavor is one of a kind, or how it makes a statement of your wealth or some bs. To me it's just people spending tons of cash on ****ing fermented grapes. Some things are just not for everyone.
Gibson LP Studio
Taylor 518E
Washburn WD15SCE acoustic electric
Carvin DC727 (ordered! The wait is driving me nuts!)
Last edited by LightxGrenade at Jan 21, 2013,
JimDawson
I heard you like lasers?
744 IQ
I have always liked extremes in music- can't stand listening to really mellow stuff.
Quote by Jesus
Gaza Strip- home. At least it was before I fucked ereythang up...
PoisonousNipple
Banned
42 IQ
Quote by Supersonic-95
Maybe I'm missing something?

A life, brain & a set of balls.

JimDawson
I heard you like lasers?
744 IQ
Quote by PoisonousNipple
A life, brain & a set of balls.

That's a bit much, the guy is allowed to share his views. You're only adding credibility to one of his points by insulting the guy; comments like this only make metalheads look bad.

Actually, I think he has some good points. I can listen to bands like Slayer and get a good laugh out of the lyrics- God Hates Us All has a few comical moments off the top of my head (especially if you know a few things about the band). Yngwie Malmsteen has tons of over-the-top cheesey music. Cannibal Corpse's lyrical content is something I find hilarious as well...

I could go on for awhile, and all three of the examples I mentioned are from bands I listen to. Don't take it too seriously man.

This is punk rock, but if you want to listen to something just ****ing ludicrous check out some GG Allin. The album Dirty Love Songs is pretty funny, and believe it or not that guy was dead serious about it too. Needle up my ****, I Wanna Piss on You, Clit Licker, Blowjobs... the list goes on...
Quote by Jesus
Gaza Strip- home. At least it was before I fucked ereythang up...
Last edited by JimDawson at Jan 21, 2013,
PoisonousNipple
Banned
42 IQ
Quote by JimDawson
That's a bit much, the guy is allowed to share his views. You're only adding credibility to one of his points by insulting the guy; comments like this only make metalheads look bad.

Actually, I think he has some good points. I can listen to bands like Slayer and get a good laugh out of the lyrics- God Hates Us All has a few comical moments off the top of my head (especially if you know a few things about the band). Yngwie Malmsteen has tons of over-the-top cheesey music. Cannibal Corpse's lyrical content is something I find hilarious as well...

I could go on for awhile, and all three of the examples I mentioned are from bands I listen to. Don't take it too seriously man.

This is punk rock, but if you want to listen to something just ****ing ludicrous check out some GG Allin. The album Dirty Love Songs is pretty funny, and believe it or not that guy was dead serious about it too. Needle up my ****, I Wanna Piss on You, Clit Licker, Blowjobs... the list goes on...

I thought he was obviously trolling

Also, GG was the most vile excuse for a human being to ever walk this planet.
6-String_Madman
1,652 IQ
I got into some Thrash Metal (Big 4, Teutonic 4, Neo-Thrash, Progressive Thrash, Crossover) and some NWOBHM (Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Diamond Head) mainly because of the "go against the rules" attitude of it - both socially and musically. Socially, because it gives you a certain freedom to express yourself without thinking about what most people have to say... and as BradIon1995 said, the technicality/musical competency of this genre could never be rivaled by any music that thrives in this era.

Quoting the great lyrics of Thrash Or Die in the song, "No Poser's Allowed", "If you think being here makes you look cool; Get out your pens and papers you're about to be schooled". Metal is NEVER about looking and being cool. It's about being yourself and not conforming to the trends.

Missing something... probably a keen sense of listening and not just hearing.

... and you did not spell MEGADETH correctly.
Wesbanez
Registered Abuser
1,380 IQ
[thread="1575882"]Exotic Telecaster Build[/thread]

[thread="1363496"]2x12 Custom Build[/thread]

[thread="1339413"]The Official Egnater Thread V2[/THREAD]

[thread="1356444"]Seven String & ERG Legion[/THREAD]
ChemicalFire
King of Bacon Pancakes
5,773 IQ
Cuz we like it and you don't... who frankly gives a fuq? This thread is asswaffles.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Supersonic-95
UG Member
364 IQ
But metal is melodically and rhythmically dull in comparison to The Stone Roses. And it's harmonically dull compared to The Beatles and John Coltrane. The music is full of negative energy. It's also miserable.

George Formby would teach you metal heads (what a daft name!) a think or two!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cwxu3jVJLdA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IoSUe1o9v4s

ALL METAL MUSIC IS BOBBINS!
Last edited by Supersonic-95 at Jan 21, 2013,
ChemicalFire
King of Bacon Pancakes
5,773 IQ
You're an idiot.

Go away now please.

Also this is metal, it is both cheerful and melodically interesting, both your points are wrong:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NuouRrjhPCQ

Quote by DisarmGoliath
ChemicalFire
King of Bacon Pancakes
5,773 IQ
Yup, idiot.

Go away now please.

If you think that metal cannot be cheerful and have good melodic content then you've obviously gone into it with complete bias anyway.

If you don't like it, that's fine. But you never even gave it a chance.

Quote by DisarmGoliath
Supersonic-95
UG Member
364 IQ
Quote by ChemicalFire
Yup, idiot.

Go away now please.

If you think that metal cannot be cheerful and have good melodic content then you've obviously gone into it with complete bias anyway.

If you don't like it, that's fine. But you never even gave it a chance.

I have give it a chance. I have experimented with all musical types, and I like many types, but metal is for people who are either

1. Confused
2. Live on negative energy
3. Not very masculine, so try to hide their feminine ways.
4. Strong in th'arm and thick in th'head
5. Boring as people
6. Angry at what life as done to them
7. Not easy to get along with as people

And not only all that, metal in also extremely un-cool. Metal music, metal culture, metal clothing and hair fashion - all very un-cool. And who gives you the authority to decide I'm an idiot - classic metalhead (haha!) behaviour. And death metal, what's that about! I'm not dead and I don't want to be, so why think about it? All this silly metal sub genre stuff like metalcore, death, thrash etc is all silly, because at the end of the day it is only one thing:- Bobbins.
Wesbanez
Registered Abuser
1,380 IQ
Quote by Supersonic-95
I have give it a chance. I have experimented with all musical types, and I like many types, but metal is for people who are either:

1. Confused
5. Boring as people

And not only all that, metal in also extremely un-cool. Metal music, metal culture, metal clothing and hair fashion - all very un-cool.

I have experience of all types of people, I like many types, but kids posting pointless retarded threads about what other people like is for people who are:

1. Confused
5. Boring as people

Not only that, but these retarded little kids are also extremely un-cool. Retarded kids, pointless threads, obviously trolling - all very un-cool.

Supersonic-95
UG Member
364 IQ
Quote by Wesbanez
I have experience of all types of people, I like many types, but kids posting pointless retarded threads about what other people like is for people who are:

1. Confused
5. Boring as people

Not only that, but these retarded little kids are also extremely un-cool. Retarded kids, pointless threads, obviously trolling - all very un-cool.

OK FLOWER! CALM DOWN!
Wesbanez
Registered Abuser
1,380 IQ
Quote by Supersonic-95
OK FLOWER! CALM DOWN!

A new low

Kytokinesis
rose tint my world
705 IQ
Quote by Supersonic-95
Why?

<falselink>

what bands have you even heard
Last edited by Kytokinesis at Jan 21, 2013,
whywefight
~I'm not fuckin around~
1,725 IQ
Quote by Supersonic-95
All the people in that band look strong in th'arm and thick in th'head.

we got a winner here
Morphogenesis26
UG Nerd
468 IQ
Quote by Supersonic-95
I have give it a chance. I have experimented with all musical types, and I like many types, but metal is for people who are either

1. Confused
5. Boring as people

And not only all that, metal in also extremely un-cool. Metal music, metal culture, metal clothing and hair fashion - all very un-cool. And who gives you the authority to decide I'm an idiot - classic metalhead (haha!) behaviour. And death metal, what's that about! I'm not dead and I don't want to be, so why think about it? All this silly metal sub genre stuff like metalcore, death, thrash etc is all silly, because at the end of the day it is only one thing:- Bobbins.

What bands did you listen to when you gave it a chance? Also, it doesn't count as "giving it a chance" if you just listened to the obvious big Metal bands and said, "yeah, it sucks and it's gay and lame hurrrr".
whywefight
~I'm not fuckin around~
1,725 IQ
Quote by Supersonic-95

1. Confused
5. Boring as people

oh man, I didn't even notice this part at first. this describes exactly 0 metalheads that I know.
AnnihiSlateR
Hammerheart
2,478 IQ
Quote by ChemicalFire
You're an idiot.

Go away now please.

Also this is metal, it is both cheerful and melodically interesting, both your points are wrong:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NuouRrjhPCQ

Fun fact, I'm in that crowd.

Also George Formby is alright, but for jovial Lancashire folk music I prefer artists he inspired like the Houghton Weavers or the Oldham Tinkers.
Supersonic-95
UG Member
364 IQ
I've listened to tonnes of metal bands. I think oasis is tonnes better. I just don't understand metal music or metal culture. It just sounds bobbins. At 4:30 mr townsend sounds like he's acting the pan.
Morphogenesis26
UG Nerd
468 IQ
Quote by Supersonic-95
I've listened to tonnes of metal bands. I think oasis is tonnes better. I just don't understand metal music or metal culture. It just sounds bobbins.

This doesn't answer my question.

Actual band names, please.
Supersonic-95
UG Member
364 IQ
Quote by Morphogenesis26
This doesn't answer my question.

Actual band names, please.

Slayer
Diecast
Megadeath
Slipknot
Metallica
Korn
And tonnes of others which I can't remember because they where bobbins.
donegan_zealot
UG's Clueless Guitarist
577 IQ
Quote by Supersonic-95
Slayer
Diecast
Megadeath
Slipknot
Metallica
Korn

anyway I just came here to see what's up... haven't seen so much ignorance in one thread in a while.
Morphogenesis26
UG Nerd
468 IQ
Quote by Supersonic-95
Slayer
Diecast
Megadeath
Slipknot
Metallica
Korn

I really want to know what "bobbins" means.

Slayer are pretty straightforward and aren't suppose to be "melodically or harmonically interesting". Diecast are...They're just a poor gothenburg Metal rip off band, I didn't expect to see you list them. Megadeth suck. Slipknot receive a lot of hate by Metal fans, as do Korn. Everyone and their parents have heard of Metallica.

It sounds like you've just listened to the most popular bands in the genre and based your opinion on them.

Phlebotomized - Death Metal

Arcane Sun - form of Doom Metal

Kathaaria - Black Metal

Artillery - Thrash Metal

These are just a couple of excellent bands in their respective sub-genres. You can find bands of this quality easily when you actually know what you're looking for in Metal.
ChemicalFire
King of Bacon Pancakes
5,773 IQ
Quote by Supersonic-95
Slayer
Diecast
Megadeath
Slipknot
Metallica
Korn

Truly the creme de la creme if you're looking for melody

Quote by DisarmGoliath
Supersonic-95
UG Member
364 IQ
Quote by Morphogenesis26
I really want to know what "bobbins" means.

Slayer are pretty straightforward and aren't suppose to be "melodically or harmonically interesting". Diecast are...They're just a poor gothenburg Metal rip off band, I didn't expect to see you list them. Megadeth suck. Slipknot receive a lot of hate by Metal fans, as do Korn. Everyone and their parents have heard of Metallica.

It sounds like you've just listened to the most popular bands in the genre and based your opinion on them.

Phlebotomized - Death Metal
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZpsUphkecw

Arcane Sun - form of Doom Metal
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0AC-6bbtPv4

Kathaaria - Black Metal
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbN2zs91ZHk

Artillery - Thrash Metal
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ap14NKh6J8g

These are just a couple of excellent bands in their respective sub-genres. You can find bands of this quality easily when you actually know what you're looking for in Metal.

I understand what you mean, I just don't like dark music. The lyrics are negative and hateful. I don't like listing to music about wanting to be dead. I don't want to be dead. I would rather listen to Live Forever by Oasis. Metal is just a complete and utter opposite to my style. Even the bands the listed I can't relate to. Well, at least a gave it a go! To me metal is emotionless miserable, negative, uninspiring music. I really just don't like it. I can't understand what you like about it - could you help me here!?

If had to choose between Justin Bieber, K$sha, Jay Z OR Metal music, I would have to choice Bieber, kesha and jay z. That is how much I can't stand metal music! What do you dudes like about it?
ChemicalFire
King of Bacon Pancakes
5,773 IQ
It has power, heavy groove, soaring melody, it deals with intellectual ideas and personally I enjoy the negativity and most importantly there's so much of it and it has so much depth. There's always something new to find.

This song probably sums up what I like about Metal

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EmCA7EwE3rY

Also coming into a metal forum and saying "I don't like metal lol it's all shit" is a bit of a silly idea.

Quote by DisarmGoliath
Last edited by ChemicalFire at Jan 21, 2013,