Page 2 of 3
Quote by Supersonic-95
I understand what you mean, I just don't like dark music. The lyrics are negative and hateful. I don't like listing to music about wanting to be dead. I don't want to be dead. I would rather listen to Live Forever by Oasis. Metal is just a complete and utter opposite to my style. Even the bands the listed I can't relate to. Well, at least a gave it a go! To me metal is emotionless miserable, negative, uninspiring music. I really just don't like it. I can't understand what you like about it - could you help me here!?

If had to choose between Justin Bieber, K$sha, Jay Z OR Metal music, I would have to choice Bieber, kesha and jay z. That is how much I can't stand metal music! What do you dudes like about it?

I would like to ask why it's important that people like something different than you? I don't get why it matters, but whatever.

As for what I like about it? I listen to different Metal bands for different reasons. I listen to Early At The Gates, Phlebotomized, Eucharist, Kathaaria, Enthral, Early Cynic, Early Sentenced, and a load of other bands for how ethereal, yet strong and hammering they sound. I listen to Angelwitch, Trivium, Gothenburg Metal bands, Pharoah, Heavenly, and a host of other bands for their catchy riffs and sing-along-style melodies and marching rhythms. I listen to Sodom, Destruction, Sarcofago, Coroner, Bolt Thower, Capharnaum, and other such bands for their intensity and sheer power they convey.

It's really all based on preference and how you perceive music.
Quote by ChemicalFire

Also coming into a metal forum and saying "I don't like metal lol it's all shit" is a bit of a silly idea.

+1
If you want people to take you seriously, and not brand you as a troll on sight, don't do this. And if you do, then at least do your homework.
Quote by Supersonic-95
I have give it a chance. I have experimented with all musical types, and I like many types, but metal is for people who are either

1. Confused
2. Live on negative energy
3. Not very masculine, so try to hide their feminine ways.
4. Strong in th'arm and thick in th'head
5. Boring as people
6. Angry at what life as done to them
7. Not easy to get along with as people

And not only all that, metal in also extremely un-cool. Metal music, metal culture, metal clothing and hair fashion - all very un-cool. And who gives you the authority to decide I'm an idiot - classic metalhead (haha!) behaviour. And death metal, what's that about! I'm not dead and I don't want to be, so why think about it? All this silly metal sub genre stuff like metalcore, death, thrash etc is all silly, because at the end of the day it is only one thing:- Bobbins.

1. I'm confused as to what you mean by confused.
2. I like puppies and blowjobs just like anyone else.
3. I am very effeminate according to my friends, but I don't hide it, cuz mah hips don't lie.
4. Not very strong in the arm, but I have an A average in all three of my majors (Analytic Philosophy, Literature, and Linguistics).
5. I suppose it depends on who you ask, but I've never been accused of being boring.
6. Meh. I mean I would have liked to have a nerf gun as a kid, or a sweet ass hotrod, but c'est la vie.
7. I'm getting along with you right now.

If you don't like metal for the lyrical and musical negativity, then that's something you'll probably never grow to like. It's the difference between people loving comedies, and others loving tragedies. If you don't like it, you don't like it. It's that simple. As for why I like it, I couldn't give you a straight answer, but I just appreciate music with raw force, austerity, somberness, youthful energy, etc. If you want recommendations that may change your mind (since the list you posted comprised most of what we, metalheads if you wish, hate about metal poseurs), then I suggest you provide specific criteria, and post in the recommendation thread at the top of the page.

Also, this is pretty uplifting if you ask me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LAyCr529AM8
Quote by Senor Kristian
Viking fact no. 1: Viking helmets did not have horn.
Viking fact no. 2: Vikings tobogganed on their shields into battle.
Viking fact no. 3: Vikings drank mead.
Viking fact no. 4: One of your ancestors are likely to have been raped by a viking.
Quote by Cavalcade
Hey guys shut up and listen I have an idea
Ignore TS/OP. ITT: "Post your favorite positive/melodic metal songs". We're pretty much halfway there already.
I'm ok with this (though I posted the King Diamond album because it's very artistically focused and there's no screaming).

The ultimate joyful metal album:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npdSlcrMQX8
Quote by Supersonic-95
Not very masculine, so try to hide their feminine ways.

I'm not hiding much, to be honest.

And not only all that, metal in also extremely un-cool. Metal music, metal culture, metal clothing and hair fashion - all very un-cool.

I know, it's brilliant.

I can't understand what you like about it - could you help me here!?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZsLUuRzrqA
Heavy metal is the law that keeps us all united free,
A law that shatters earth and hell,
Heavy metal can't be beaten by any dynasty,
We are all wizards fighting with our spell!
Quote by Supersonic-95
I have give it a chance. I have experimented with all musical types, and I like many types, but metal is for people who are either

1. Confused
2. Live on negative energy
3. Not very masculine, so try to hide their feminine ways.
4. Strong in th'arm and thick in th'head
5. Boring as people
6. Angry at what life as done to them
7. Not easy to get along with as people

And not only all that, metal in also extremely un-cool. Metal music, metal culture, metal clothing and hair fashion - all very un-cool. And who gives you the authority to decide I'm an idiot - classic metalhead (haha!) behaviour. And death metal, what's that about! I'm not dead and I don't want to be, so why think about it? All this silly metal sub genre stuff like metalcore, death, thrash etc is all silly, because at the end of the day it is only one thing:- Bobbins.

This alone tells me that you're either a massive troll or an ignorant twat. Or both. "Confused"? "Live on negative energy"? So, I guess you must have met every Metalhead in the world and determined these things, right? As for the rest of your points, those could be applied to any and every type of music, if you really felt like looking stupid.

Edit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsWxLQDzJOU
Last edited by crazysam23_Atax at Jan 21, 2013,
Well surprise surprise, but Focus is one of the most positive albums to me, despite having plenty of death metal aesthetics. It's a very busy album, but very peaceful and meditative at the same time. Combine lyrics about taking life one sip at a time, losing your ego, and being one with the cosmos, with sublime compositions; I just can't see getting a negative vibe from that album. Even more so once you realize the dual-nature of the vocals; to me the clean "robot voice" represents the clear voice of reason, perhaps even a zen-like state, while the harsh growls represent an outlet for human emotion and vulnerability. Sort of like two extremes. I also love how the duality is represented in the lyrics and the music as well. I guess this is what happens when you listen to an album too much, haha. Oh well, music's always open for interpretation, regardless of whether or not there's actually anything to interpret.

But I suppose there's no way to see the positive in something like that if you won't stop juvenilely interpreting growls as just some berzerk dude yelling for no reason, and haven't developed an ear for distorted guitars. (I remember listening to Individual Thought Patterns a long time ago for the first time, and while I'd heard metal before, the technicality combined with the "harsh" (or so I thought) distortion, it wasn't easy to make out what was going on. But it was interesting enough, and I kept listening and it sounded much more clear really soon.)
Quote by Cavalcade
+1
If you want people to take you seriously, and not brand you as a troll on sight, don't do this.

Do you really think that I care how people take or brand me? You can brand me as schizophrenic if you wish, I couldn't care less.
Quote by Supersonic-95
Do you really think that I care how people take or brand me? You can brand me as schizophrenic if you wish, I couldn't care less.

You literally are no different than the people you claim to be different than.
Quote by whywefight
You literally are no different than the people you claim to be different than.

ok
Quote by Supersonic-95

Why did you bother responding to that post instead of all the songs and everyone's reasons for liking the music?

And Sanitarium has the best post because Focus is amazing. Arcane Sun and Elvenefris are also pretty positive/beautiful albums lyrically.
I'm confused
Confused
Don't wanna be confused

Don't even feel a thing
Strong in th'arm but thick in th'head

But it doesn't matter 'cause I live
On negative energy
But when all Space has been beheld
And all Dominion shown
The smallest Human Heart's extent
Reduces it to none.
Last edited by Haytham at Jan 21, 2013,
I remember my band covering Metallica's Fade To Black in a gig a month ago. As I was singing, I noticed the crowd (made up of more extreme metal fans) singing back, as if we are all part of something very uplifting despite the negative lyrics of the song. Before I played the riff for the fast section of the song, I raised my fist high and telling them to scream out loud and another time before the final riff. It's like letting them release some tension. It was a memorable gig.

Negative lyrics when taken in the right context could be very beneficial. I believe none of us human beings haven't experienced struggle and grief throughout our lives. Metal (regardless of what sub-genre) provided a release for people and reminded them that when they face tribulations and struggles, they are not alone and they don't have to feel hopeless. Artists who go through pain sometimes creates the most beautiful artwork... Turning something bitter into something sweet.

I've faced a lot of downturns in my life and it's Metal that kept me strong through the years.

Sam Dunn is right... "It is either you feel it or you don't... If you don't feel that powerful surge of energy that makes your hair stand at the back of your hair... You might not get it"
Quote by PoisonousNipple
Why are you guys still arguing with this trolling wanker?

Put a sock in it love
most metal lyrics only appear to be negative when upholding "western ideologies."

"Only death is real" can also be empowering and liberating.
Quote by technicolour
Absolutely this, one of my favorite metal quotes, so simple, yet effective. If only death is real, then surely life must consist of infinite possibilities? Tom Warrior is a visionary, for sure.
Quote by technicolour
most metal lyrics only appear to be negative when upholding "western ideologies."

I don't know, it sounds like everything in life is pointless and Death is the only thing with meaning.
MAAYYYYBEEEEEEE
I DON'T REALLY WANNA KNOOOOOWWWW
HOW YOUR GAAARDEN GROOOOOWWWS
I JUUUST WAANNNAA FLLLYYYYYYYY

This thread had me cracking out Definetly Maybe. What an album.

TS, providing you're not a complete troll give this a listen:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hyvivohzmus
Quote by ChemicalFire
The point of underground bands is their not popular or famous most of the time. Thus there is a good chance they suck.
Last edited by eazy-c at Jan 21, 2013,
Quote by Morphogenesis26
I don't know, it sounds like everything in life is pointless and Death is the only thing with meaning.

No, you've got it the wrong way around. It should be

Death is pointless and life is the only true meaning.

Now that makes sense! Death sucks! Life is great!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-IdBmgLD4Q

For all the sorcery that we have told to thee
They call us demons from Hell
But they refuse to see being of Satan's league
They'll never drink from The Well

[...]

We never ever will die 'cause Heavy Metal is life
And not eternal hell
We always will believe destroying Satan's league
We take a drink from The Well
Quote by Supersonic-95
No, you've got it the wrong way around. It should be

Death is pointless and life is the only true meaning.

Now that makes sense! Death sucks! Life is great!

No, both are equal, and two sides of the same coin. However, because we are in the midst of life right now (disregarding skepticism) we must accept death as the next inevitable force.