So I'm trying to write one of my band's songs in tab it and I've hit a road block. The entire song has been 4/4 so far but at this part of the song the drums and guitar are still doing 4/4 but the bass has something...else. What I'm trying to figure out is what exactly the bass IS doing. So the riff has 6 notes repeated in it very quickly where each 6 notes is 1 beat of the 4/4 count.

So would it be 6x4=24 making it ...24th notes? Or would it be some 6/8 or 6/16 time signature?
For how can I give the King his place of worth above all else
when I spend my time striving to place the crown upon myself?
The bass is probably playing sixtuplets (hexuplets?).

Or sets of two triplets.
Join the 7 String Legion!

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.

Official Approval
This message has been approved by:

Mister A.J.
Head of the Department of Redundancy Department
Mister A.J.
Last edited by Mister A.J. at Jan 21, 2013,
Okay, thanks guys! I figured out how to do it on tab it as well. Just out of curiosity, would those be considered 24th notes? And the next part, having 7 notes per beat, be considered 28th notes?
Quote by Rawshik
Okay, thanks guys! I figured out how to do it on tab it as well. Just out of curiosity, would those be considered 24th notes? And the next part, having 7 notes per beat, be considered 28th notes?

no if they are two sets of triuples they are three eith notes notes with a 3 under them to show thay are triplets

edit: if its 6 notes per every beat it would be sixteenth notes i beleive

here read this wiki pedeia article i neet to catch up on my tuplets as well
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tuplet
Last edited by supersac at Jan 21, 2013,
How are they eighth notes if they don't each consist of one eighth of the measure? Each note consists of 1/24th of the measure.
Quote by Rawshik
How are they eighth notes if they don't each consist of one eighth of the measure? Each note consists of 1/24th of the measure.

yeah its sixteen triplets i beleive
i misread the note groupings the first time and edited my last post
Quote by Rawshik

When you're writing (or talking) the music, they're just called [LENGTH] [#]tuplets (ie; 32nd triplets, sixteenth duplets, etc.) for the sake of simplicity. Duration-wise, you're right on the money.
Join the 7 String Legion!

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.

Official Approval
This message has been approved by:

Mister A.J.
Head of the Department of Redundancy Department
Mister A.J.
Quote by Rawshik

There is the problem with American/German note names!

"8th notes" are just the name of the type of notes. In England (where I'm from) they're called "quavers". Either way, it's just a name, dude!