What do you mean? Like, how to build chords, the shapes, proper technique when using them on guitar, what?
From a competent teacher.
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
Step 1: Start your web browser
Step 2: Go to [forbidden link]
Step 3: Chords for y (for a general chart of chords) or x Chord for y [where x is the chord you want and y the instrument you play that i guess will be guitar cause this is ultimate-guitar)
Step 4: Play the chord you want to learn
Step 5: Repeat step 4 x1000 for a few days (results may vary considering the number of days you spend doing the same chord.. they can go from a perfect G to a serious injury if you spend all day in the same position)
Step 6: Be John Petrucci

=D
The basics of playing chords or the theory behind them?
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
Yeah do you just want chord shapes or do you want to understand how they actually work?
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
If its just "get better at playing chords"... then I would suggest learning songs you like... it'll be fun while you learn
Quote by AlanHB
It's the same as all other harmony. Surround yourself with skulls and candles if it helps.
Just learn the basic chords. They are easy to remember when you play them all the time. Find some songs that use basic open chords (C, D, E, G, A major and Em, Am and Dm). You just need to play them a lot.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
I would first learn the most basic chords. You don't need to play the maj7 or add9. It doesn't change the function of the chord. They are just added notes to make the chord sound more "cool".
Quote by AlanHB

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Quote by Nrucinski
help.

Pick up guitar

Place in lap

Put hand on guitar neck

Put fingers on strings

???

Profit
Um... as in construction, function, actually-playing-the-damn-things, or otherwise?
Join the 7 String Legion!

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.

Official Approval
This message has been approved by:

Mister A.J.
Head of the Department of Redundancy Department
Mister A.J.
While simplified chords are fine, I strongly encourage you to learn how to play Barre chords.

You will need to build up the strength in your left hand, and it will take about 2 weeks. BUt place the index finger across all 6 strings, hold down and play each string separately until you get it. Then start adding an E chord underneath it. (See diagrams on the net or maybe a bookl you've got). Practice by playing each string separately. Then get the A form - just two fingers needed there, index and ring. You then only need to add minors and sevenths.

Oh, yes, you MUST also learn the names of the notes up the E and A strings. With this knowledge, you'll be able to play any song IN ANY KEY after about a month. It will slow you down a bit while you learn to physically finger the chords, but once your hand builds up strength, you'll be amazed at how easy things become.

Simplified chords have their place, but Barre chords will speed up your playing comfort

-Peter!
^ Simplified chords?

If you are talking about open chords, you need to know how to play open chords before barre chords. Because barre chords are open chord positions moved up the neck.

I learned to play barre chords by playing power chords. I just played some Metallica riffs that had a lot of power chords and kind of learned the barre chords automatically without even playing them.
Quote by AlanHB

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Learn the fretboard, learn chord construction, get a fake (or real) book and learn as many songs from there as you can. It'll be slow at first, but it gets better. This will definitely expand your chord vocabulary in terms of knowing shapes and adding notes (9ths, 7ths, etc).
Quote by mdc
Pick up guitar

Place in lap

Put hand on guitar neck

Put fingers on strings

???

Profit

i've manufactured a handy diagram for you to visualize this process, TS

Quote by theogonia777
Hail killed MT

Quote by jongtr
I want to be Hail when I grow up.
Quote by mdc
Pick up guitar

Place in lap

Put hand on guitar neck

Put fingers on strings

???

Profit

I've been trying to figure that ??? bit out for years. Still beats the hell outta me.
Quote by Hail
oh shut up with that /mu/ bullshit. fidget house shouldn't even be a genre, why in the world would it deserve its own subgenres you twat
Quote by Hail
i've manufactured a handy diagram for you to visualize this process, TS

Wow! The OP plays a Gretsch White Falcon! They're really rare. And expensive.

Way to go OP.
Quote by Hail
oh shut up with that /mu/ bullshit. fidget house shouldn't even be a genre, why in the world would it deserve its own subgenres you twat
Quote by Sleepy__Head
I've been trying to figure that ??? bit out for years. Still beats the hell outta me.

Me too!
learning chords is as simple as looking the chords you want up nd picking the guitar up and just playing. you should be able to play them just by listening to them.