Page 3 of 5
Not living up to all the hype IMO. Nothing special, the focus knob seems like another bass control, and an extra $1000 MSRP for an extra channel, MIDI, and the guy's name on the Hellwin.
Ibanez
Universe UV777 Signed by Steve Vai
Prestige RG2027X with Bare Knuckle Aftermaths
RG7621 swirled
Prestige RG1420
AEL207E
Hellwin? As in, like, Hell and win? Is this some kind of joke?
Quote by Offworld92
Is that a new amp? I have never followed Randall. But if they have a chug chug monster, I'm interested.

I'm waiting for something new to topple the 6505. Something has to be able to.

The Randall is a monster, however lacks dynamics and would get lost in a mix once the bass player gets going. It stomps all over this amp for chugging though.

Too bad you can't play the Hybris. Hard to describe it as its not based off another amp. It stomps all over my 5150.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
The last thing we need in an amp is a subwoofer. Oh god Schecter..
Quote by greeny23
i shake the walls of my bedroom. with mah dick.
Quote by Eppicurt
Quote by NakedInTheRain
hey, be nice to the hipster.
I hear they use false bypass switches.

It's, like, so ironic.
I posted video in the NAMM thread.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
Quote by JAHellraiser
Here's a lil demo/explanation of the two amps from PG at NAMM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHLyz9voFsg

Funny, I quite enjoyed the cleans on both of them. The Hellwin sounds pretty meh on the gain, but the Hellraiser 100 was actually pretty cool, weird - Cause they said they were basically the same thing.

Subs in a guitar cab though....

...wait.... They want $2700 and $3700 for those things? They ****ing high!??!
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw

Smart business move. This will totally persuade me to buy a Schecter amp over a Rectifier, Mark V, 5150 III, Rockerverb, InsertEnglAmpHere... and many more!
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
First off, the two Schecters seem AWFULLY CLOSE to the Vengeance and Armageddon. A Two Channel and Three Channel with the only other big differences between the two amps being MIDI funtionality and a built-in Noise Gate. Maybe this is my fanboy-ism showing, but that seems AWFULLY CLOSE if you ask me. Even the aesthetics. More vivid, "shiny", stand-out looks onthe three channel versus stripped-down, mostly black looks with a brushed steel-style logo? Call me crazy, but that seems like a pure rip-off.

Now, that aside, I thought the amps themselves were pretty nice. You can't judge the sound like it deserves through a camera mic, or anything that's not an actually close-mic setup or you being there in person. I was pretty impressed with the clean channel's flexibility, although the difference between the two modes is, again, very similar to the Egnaters (the Gain +/- switch and funcitonality of the other two switches). The two gain channels on the Hellwin sounded like A7X, pretty much to a tee. Kinda flubby low end with a british flavor and nice and crunchy. I'm with Offworld that I personally like A7X and wouldn't consider them Metalcore, but closer to Classic Metal. Their first album is terrible, but I like a few songs from City of Evil, and Waking the Fallen, and their self-titled and Nightmare are both pretty excellent, IMO. As for Shadows, he had the same vocal coash as Axl Rose. Why wouldn't he sound nasally?

Anywho, the powered subwoofer is the stupidest thing I've ever seen in guitar ever period. Seriously? Why even have a bassist at that point? Also, wouldn't that make the impedance of the other three speakers really weird? I mean, I'm not really technical with that stuff, so if one of the more knowledgable guys could help out here, that would be great, but wouldn't that mean those speakers have a special impedance unless there's some kind of dummy load in the cab that is like a faux-fourth speaker? Unless the powered sub is also a load, even when it's turned off?

I'm actually kinda excited for the Thrasher. I really want to try one. Aren't the cabs for that loaded with Celestion G12H-100's? I could swear that's what I read. Even if it's a typo and that should be G12K-100's, I would say that adding a V30 to the mix would help it cut through a mix better.

The Hybris doesn't need review. We all know that nothing at NAMM could top that. Seriously. Craig most definitely hit an absolute home run on that one. It's highly likely that I end up buying one of those, because the clips I heard were seriously an eargasm. I can't say when that'll be, since my "amps to buy" list also includes one of Cath's 18w Jack Daniels amps and a 5153 Mini, but It'll definitely be before the 5153, since it's likely to make that purchase pointless.

EDIT:

NO SHIT MatrixClaw! They're definitely f***ing high! Neither of those amps are worth anywhere NEAR that.
Last edited by Blktiger0 at Jan 26, 2013,
Quote by Blktiger0
I'm with Offworld that I personally like A7X and wouldn't consider them Metalcore, but closer to Classic Metal. Their first album is terrible, but I like a few songs from City of Evil, and Waking the Fallen, and their self-titled and Nightmare are both pretty excellent, IMO.

Yeah, I really don't have a problem with A7X as a band, really. While I really can't stand to listen to M. Shadow's voice anymore, they are the band that got me into metal. It's funny you mention their albums though, because I feel like they've gotten progressively worse as they've kept rolling them out. Their first album (Sounding the Seventh Trumpet), is actually probably my favorite of them all, and I still listen to several of those songs now whenever they come up on my iPod, same with Waking the Fallen. City of Evil has a few I can tolerate, but beyond that the music is no longer good enough to allow me to overlook his voice. There's some parts of the newer stuff I still like though, but I definitely couldn't sit down and listen to their whole album

Also - Kinda been outa the loop on the NAMM stuff, but damn, the Hybris looks so epic. At $999... definitely something I'll be checking into more as it becomes available! That and the Slate Raven MTi DAW control surface look so epic, and both exceptionally priced for what they do. SO EXCITE!
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
Funny, I quite enjoyed the cleans on both of them. The Hellwin sounds pretty meh on the gain, but the Hellraiser 100 was actually pretty cool, weird - Cause they said they were basically the same thing.

Subs in a guitar cab though....

I agree on the cleans. That surprised me.

but that's just the MSRP. I'm sure they'll drop by a good $1000 in stores at least. so still pretty expensive but not nearly as bad
[img]http://cdn.gs.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/v.gif[/img]
Quote by JAHellraiser
I agree on the cleans. That surprised me.

but that's just the MSRP. I'm sure they'll drop by a good $1000 in stores at least. so still pretty expensive but not nearly as bad

True, they'll drop some for the retail price, but not $1000 - At least on the Hellraiser. Usually list is about 25% higher than the real price, so I'd expect somewhere around $2000 for the Hellraiser 100 and $2800 for the Hellwin. At those prices, you're into Diezel and Fortin territory if you go used. Unless these things have horrible resale value, Schecter's either going to have to pull the price down significantly to compete with something like the 6505+, or they're just going to end up tanking.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Well, I hate M Shadow's vocals on STST, although there are maybe two songs on there that I like. Waking the Fallen has more songs on it that I like than I thought, looking back through. City of Evil wasn't that great, although my favorite of their songs is on there. Self Titled is probably their best yet, and Nightmare shows a change in the band, so I don't feel that it's fair to judge it. I just laugh at people that say "all of their shitt sounds the same". There is a HUGE distinction between albums, and Nightmare has quite a bit of versatility in terms of genre definition. I agree some of their riffs and songs sound similar, but compared to something like Disturbed, their shit sounds wilidly different. Disturbed is one of those bands that I can't recognize one single song from another because they all sound the same.

I'm almost sure those Schecters are going to tank. The Armageddon/Vengance are basically the same concept, but don't look as hideous, and sound better, IMO.
Quote by Blktiger0
Well, I hate M Shadow's vocals on STST, although there are maybe two songs on there that I like. Waking the Fallen has more songs on it that I like than I thought, looking back through. City of Evil wasn't that great, although my favorite of their songs is on there. Self Titled is probably their best yet, and Nightmare shows a change in the band, so I don't feel that it's fair to judge it. I just laugh at people that say "all of their shitt sounds the same". There is a HUGE distinction between albums, and Nightmare has quite a bit of versatility in terms of genre definition. I agree some of their riffs and songs sound similar, but compared to something like Disturbed, their shit sounds wilidly different. Disturbed is one of those bands that I can't recognize one single song from another because they all sound the same.

I'm almost sure those Schecters are going to tank. The Armageddon/Vengance are basically the same concept, but don't look as hideous, and sound better, IMO.

Totally agree with this.

I guess I like STST because there's a lot more harsh vocals in it, so I don't have to listen to him sing
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
So for the price of this I can buy two Hybrises? And I'd buy one because?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by darkwolf291
Craig does it too.

Although to be fair, on the Brigand, it totally works

oh does he? I didn't realise that

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by Cathbard
So for the price of this I can buy two Hybrises? And I'd buy one because?

Because teh hybris doesn't have teh br00tz toan. You need a hellwin to sound liek dat.
Quote by R45VT
Bastards.
Do you think the Hellwin will be a high gain monster? Syn switched from the Uberschall to JCM800s and the band seems to be less gain heavy than they were back in the days. They haven't even been metalcore for the past 3 albums. Even Waking the Fallen wasn't using extreme gain. I wasn't expecting the Hellwin to be too heavy in the gain department since it's Syn's amp. But I personally think the amps sound really good. A lot of amps have tons of gain but don't sound great whenever you're outside of the super high gain territory. These sound great at lower gain settings. They're expensive but so are most of the good amps. And they'll probably come out with cheaper, non-USA, versions eventually.
Quote by JELIFISH19
Do you think the Hellwin will be a high gain monster? Syn switched from the Uberschall to JCM800s and the band seems to be less gain heavy than they were back in the days. They haven't even been metalcore for the past 3 albums. Even Waking the Fallen wasn't using extreme gain. I wasn't expecting the Hellwin to be too heavy in the gain department since it's Syn's amp. But I personally think the amps sound really good. A lot of amps have tons of gain but don't sound great whenever you're outside of the super high gain territory. These sound great at lower gain settings. They're expensive but so are most of the good amps. And they'll probably come out with cheaper, non-USA, versions eventually.

Expensive =/= Good.
Quote by R45VT
Bastards.
Quote by MatrixClaw

haz teh coil tapz brah.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by JELIFISH19

From the videos it really doesn't sound like a chug chug amp at all. Which is fine for Gate's style, but they may be shooting themselves in a the foot a little with an unversatile amp with that price tag.

I mean, I think pretty much the only people who want this are going to be in the age range of 14-18... they certainly can't afford it.

I'm hoping it does bad so they feel bad.

Did Syn actually have any input in it's design? Aesthetically. Cause it can't be said enough - these amps look like dogshit.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
From the videos it really doesn't sound like a chug chug amp at all. Which is fine for Gate's style, but they may be shooting themselves in a the foot a little with an unversatile amp with that price tag.

I mean, I think pretty much the only people who want this are going to be in the age range of 14-18... they certainly can't afford it.

I'm hoping it does bad so they feel bad.

Did Syn actually have any input in it's design? Aesthetically. Cause it can't be said enough - these amps look like dogshit.

Most amps at that pricerange aren't versatile. They just do a few things exceptionally well. Many of them are simple as well. I think the people who want this amp are going to be people who like it. It's kind of like the Peavey JSX or the Carvin Legacy. People don't use them because of they're signature amps. People like them because they sound good. I don't think this will be any different. It'll sell alright. They're not expecting it to sell like crazy.
inb4 we start getting threads like:

"how can i sound more like synester gates? hai guize im new heer. I just got a schecter syn gates sig guitar, and the hellwin amp for my 14th burthday cause i reely wanna sound just like him. a7x are my favrit band and are totally br00tz. my parents said i can eether get the amp and guitar or they will pay for my college in 4 years. i took the amp n guitar cuz fuck skool my band will make it big. we're a sirius metuhl band that hav been playing 4 6 months. i sing n play guitar so im lyke syn mixed with m shadows (awesome i no) but i need 2 know how 2 sound more like syn. do u guize know wut strings picks and cables he uses? cuz that must be wut i need"
[img]http://cdn.gs.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/v.gif[/img]
First of all its gona be a versatile amp so its not gona be only for heavy metal. the best features are the types of clean sound u can get from it. and of course it will be pricey cause u have to pay for quality. or u can go and buy a cheap amp that will last u for about 2 years.
Quote by tesecumj
First of all its gona be a versatile amp so its not gona be only for heavy metal. the best features are the types of clean sound u can get from it. and of course it will be pricey cause u have to pay for quality. or u can go and buy a cheap amp that will last u for about 2 years.

I guess we know who is going to be the first to buy one on UG

It looks like crap, but no one can really judge how it sounds with those clips. Those clips do sound pretty bad though
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by tesecumj

Tell that to the 5150.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by JAHellraiser

"how can i sound more like synester gates? hai guize im new heer. I just got a schecter syn gates sig guitar, and the hellwin amp for my 14th burthday cause i reely wanna sound just like him. a7x are my favrit band and are totally br00tz. my parents said i can eether get the amp and guitar or they will pay for my college in 4 years. i took the amp n guitar cuz fuck skool my band will make it big. we're a sirius metuhl band that hav been playing 4 6 months. i sing n play guitar so im lyke syn mixed with m shadows (awesome i no) but i need 2 know how 2 sound more like syn. do u guize know wut strings picks and cables he uses? cuz that must be wut i need"

this thread=win
Quote by kangaxxter
Tone is in the fingers.

What you really need is a new amp.

(Anything I missed?)

Quote by Robbgnarly
I have been hearing about MG amps lately. I have heard good about them, but only a few times have they been talked about here.

Quote by JAHellraiser

X_X

Quote by tesecumj

Not sure if serious...
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92

Not sure if serious...

+1
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
The amps have a decent clean sound from what I've heard, but man for that money I'd buy a vintage Fender and ABY it with a 6505.
Quote by TremontiAddict
The amps have a decent clean sound from what I've heard, but man for that money I'd buy a vintage Fender and ABY it with a 6505.

It's not near a 6505.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
"Because the uber expensive mid-high gain amp market isn't already saturated, let's release an amp that is too gaudy for anyone with any real money to take seriously, and lets base it off of one of the most generic guitar tones possible."

-Schecter Guitar Research, 2012, last year before the production of said amp tanked the company when they failed to sell a single amp.

On the upside, maybe they will tone down the nameplate on the hellraiser and it will sound halfway decent on the production run.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Quote by MatrixClaw
Agreed.

That color scheme could definitely grow on me.

The Schecter logo is definitely bold being that big on it, but it works a lot better than that stupid Hellwin crap

aside the logo it looks great imo. i like the red piping look, hell anything but white please.

the logo is what kills it.
Quote by gregs1020
aside the logo it looks great imo. i like the red piping look, hell anything but white please.

the logo is what kills it.

You're thinking of the Hellraiser. The Hellwin is the one we're bashing.

For the price of one of these new, I would rather buy a used 5153, a used Vengeance, and a Hybris.

I still can't get over the subwoofer in the Hellraiser cab. In my mind, I'm still waiting for the "JUST KIDDING!" to come out of the guy's mouth at the end of the demo from NAMM.
Quote by darkwolf291
Yeah. The Brigand has a knob that takes it from more of an American voicing to more of a British.
And it works

Quote by Blktiger0
You're thinking of the Hellraiser. The Hellwin is the one we're bashing.

For the price of one of these new, I would rather buy a used 5153, a used Vengeance, and a Hybris.

I still can't get over the subwoofer in the Hellraiser cab. In my mind, I'm still waiting for the "JUST KIDDING!" to come out of the guy's mouth at the end of the demo from NAMM.

i think they both look like ass with the logos.

but the scheme of black with red piping looks good.
Quote by R45VT
It's not near a 6505.

What isn't near a 6505? I couldn't tell what you mean't by your comment but if you mean't a vintage fender is nothing like a 6505 then you didn't get what he mean't by ABY.
Quote by tukk04
What isn't near a 6505? I couldn't tell what you mean't by your comment but if you mean't a vintage fender is nothing like a 6505 then you didn't get what he mean't by ABY.

The Hellwin doesn't sound like a 6505. End of story.

If you want brutal raw high gain and cleans check out ASGs Hybris. It has both. I played it through both SD and EMG pickups and it was fantastic. I have a serious GAS for it now. So much so that I put my mark V up for sale.

Retails at $999.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
Quote by R45VT
The Hellwin doesn't sound like a 6505. End of story.

If you want brutal raw high gain and cleans check out ASGs Hybris. It has both. I played it through both SD and EMG pickups and it was fantastic. I have a serious GAS for it now. So much so that I put my mark V up for sale.

Retails at $999.

Yeah, I want one so bad now! Gonna put my LP up for sale now that its electronics have a clean bill of health, and when it sells, I'll pick one of them up!
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com