Page 4 of 5
Quote by MatrixClaw
Yeah, I want one so bad now! Gonna put my LP up for sale now that its electronics have a clean bill of health, and when it sells, I'll pick one of them up!

I had to try it a second time to make sure my brain wast ****ing with me.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
Quote by R45VT
The Hellwin doesn't sound like a 6505. End of story.

If you want brutal raw high gain and cleans check out ASGs Hybris. It has both. I played it through both SD and EMG pickups and it was fantastic. I have a serious GAS for it now. So much so that I put my mark V up for sale.

Retails at $999.

I wasn't saying it was, I was just unsure of what you were pertaining to when you said "it" but yeah of course it sounds nothing like a 6505.
I do think the sub in the 4x12 makes sense. If you are playing a lower stage volume you don't have enough for low end feed back and it sounds/feels funny. Most head/ cab set ups don't sound totally right until you hit 50% or more on the volume knob, that's how they are designed.
What I am trying to say is the sub in the 4x12 cab is more for the players ears and touch on stage as opposed to the crowd. I don't think I would buy either amp, but the cab sounds interesting.
What the hell!!!
Hybris definitely seems to be the item that most people are excited about this NAMM.
[img]http://cdn.gs.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/v.gif[/img]
Quote by danvwman
I do think the sub in the 4x12 makes sense. If you are playing a lower stage volume you don't have enough for low end feed back and it sounds/feels funny. Most head/ cab set ups don't sound totally right until you hit 50% or more on the volume knob, that's how they are designed.
What I am trying to say is the sub in the 4x12 cab is more for the players ears and touch on stage as opposed to the crowd. I don't think I would buy either amp, but the cab sounds interesting.

ISP has been doing it for years and no one called them silly. Steve Lukather even has a signature sub. The Depth Charge is cheaper than anything ISP offers so that's a huge plus. I don't see why people are complaining. There's a market for it and you don't have to get the cab with the sub.

Quote by JAHellraiser
Hybris definitely seems to be the item that most people are excited about this NAMM.

Nah, I don't think so. Only gain-*****s are interested. I think best amp shown is the Bogner Atma. But it's probably way out of my pricerange.
Quote by JELIFISH19
ISP has been doing it for years and no one called them silly. Steve Lukather even has a signature sub. The Depth Charge is cheaper than anything ISP offers so that's a huge plus. I don't see why people are complaining. There's a market for it and you don't have to get the cab with the sub.

Nah, I don't think so. Only gain-*****s are interested. I think best amp shown is the Bogner Atma. But it's probably way out of my pricerange.

The only people who are not interested in the Hybris are the people who did not hear it. Literally legit artists would play it and smile. Lots of complements. One even wanted to take on tour after playing it for 10 minutes.

The Bogner-was the Atma the little lunch box fellow? It sounded full through the cab. I have pics of it up in the NAMM thread. It did not sound like your run of the mill crappy lunch box amp. Very surprised by it.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
Quote by Offworld92

Did Syn actually have any input in it's design? Aesthetically. Cause it can't be said enough - these amps look like dogshit.

And you think that's an indication that he didn't have any input? Iv always liked his playing, but he has always looked like the king of the douche bags.
Didn't see anything about a new bogner, and I haven't heard the Hybris myself Premier Guitar are slipping on their coverage
I ****ed up and found out my camera sucks for recording the amps. My Iphone gave a MUCH better representation. Too bad I got nearly all with the camera.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
Quote by R45VT
The only people who are not interested in the Hybris are the people who did not hear it. Literally legit artists would play it and smile. Lots of complements. One even wanted to take on tour after playing it for 10 minutes.

The Bogner-was the Atma the little lunch box fellow? It sounded full through the cab. I have pics of it up in the NAMM thread. It did not sound like your run of the mill crappy lunch box amp. Very surprised by it.

I didn't mean anything bad by it. I just mean it's not everyone's cup of tea just like the 5150 or Dual Recto isn't for everyone. I'll admit that it sounds good and I would definitely be interested in it if I was still into playing metal.

Yup. I first saw it in your pics. Then I watched some clips and was blown away. It sounded like a much bigger amp on the higher gain settings. It didn't have much of an EL84 flavor.
Quote by R45VT
I ****ed up and found out my camera sucks for recording the amps. My Iphone gave a MUCH better representation. Too bad I got nearly all with the camera.

You need better camera, yo!

I really wanted to go to NAMM this time round, but I just started a new job and couldn't really take time off. Summer NAMM would be cool, but a trip to Nashville is going to be much more expensive. Might have to wait till next year, booooo. Oh well... someday I'll make it
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by JELIFISH19
I didn't mean anything bad by it. I just mean it's not everyone's cup of tea just like the 5150 or Dual Recto isn't for everyone. I'll admit that it sounds good and I would definitely be interested in it if I was still into playing metal.

Yup. I first saw it in your pics. Then I watched some clips and was blown away. It sounded like a much bigger amp on the higher gain settings. It didn't have much of an EL84 flavor.

No offense was intended on my end. Not every amp is for everyone. I totally agree. For what its worth the cleans were great. I tried 2 different ASG guitars- one with Seymour Duncans and the other with EMGs. Homie knows how to build a clean amp. I was very impressed all around.

Regarding the ATMA- I walked by and heard it and though it was one of the big boy amps. I have never played a Bogner before- I heard 2 guys going at it dual style with an extascy and the Atma- was very badass.

On sound alone you would never think it was a lunch box style amp. It would be the ring to rule them all in you speak in lord of the ring terms.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
Quote by MatrixClaw

I really wanted to go to NAMM this time round, but I just started a new job and couldn't really take time off. Summer NAMM would be cool, but a trip to Nashville is going to be much more expensive. Might have to wait till next year, booooo. Oh well... someday I'll make it

I left my HD camera at home. Its an actual video camera. I missed an opportunity there.

That being said the Iphone was great as long as my hand didn't cover up the mic. It gave a pretty decent representation of what they actually sound like.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
Quote by MatrixClaw

How does one get into NAMM anyway? If they're just an average joe I mean
Quote by JAHellraiser
How does one get into NAMM anyway? If they're just an average joe I mean

You don't. NAMM is really by invitation only to retailers and people in the industry. They can buy extra tickets though, so average Joes can get in if they know someone .
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by Arby911
Really?

Am I the only one here that cares how it sounds and quite honestly could not care less how it looks?

Did I miss the memo where the quest for tone had gotten extended into the visual realm?

I was starting to wonder that myself. Who cares what it looks like. What does it sound like?
Washburn MG-44(E)
Ibanez RG421 (Eb)
Art & Lutherie Electric Cutaway
Vox Valvetronix VT40
Vox AC4tv 1x10
Vox Original Wah-Wah Pedal V847-A
MXR '78 Custom Badass Distortion
Quote by Shadowofravenwo
I was starting to wonder that myself. Who cares what it looks like. What does it sound like?

It doesn't sound like a 3K amp. To be fair I heard it through the hellraiser cab. There is a link in the NAMM thread. I can't remember if I posted it here.

For over 3K I would expect unicorns to have their way with your ears.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
If something looks bad but sounds good one may still buy it but that doesn't mean you can't still rag on it for being ugly. You shouldn't have to build a new headshell for a $3k amp because it is so ugly that it's embarassing to have sitting behind you on stage.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by R45VT
It doesn't sound like a 3K amp. To be fair I heard it through the hellraiser cab. There is a link in the NAMM thread. I can't remember if I posted it here.

For over 3K I would expect unicorns to have their way with your ears.

Wouldn't that go back to how it sounds? If it sucks sound wise, then no amount of looks is going to make a difference. I have no idea how it sounds. If it is 3k, then yeah, it had better sound like angels singing. I don't get what looks have to do with it.
Washburn MG-44(E)
Ibanez RG421 (Eb)
Vox Valvetronix VT40
Vox AC4tv 1x10
Quote by Cathbard
If something looks bad but sounds good one may still buy it but that doesn't mean you can't still rag on it for being ugly. You shouldn't have to build a new headshell for a $3k amp because it is so ugly that it's embarassing to have sitting behind you on stage.

If your audience is staring at your rig, maybe that is a commentary on your playing?

I'm not saying your can't have both. I'm not saying you shouldn't go for both. But for me, tone is what is more important.
Washburn MG-44(E)
Ibanez RG421 (Eb)
Vox Valvetronix VT40
Vox AC4tv 1x10
Last edited by Shadowofravenwo at Jan 28, 2013,
Quote by Shadowofravenwo
Wouldn't that go back to how it sounds? If it sucks sound wise, then no amount of looks is going to make a difference. I have no idea how it sounds. If it is 3k, then yeah, it had better sound like angels singing. I don't get what looks have to do with it.

It doesn't sound like a 3K amp. It looks like poop.

I mean in that price get a Diezel VH4 for christs sake.

For less than 1/3 of the price you can get a better sounding Hybris.

/thread
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
Quote by R45VT
It doesn't sound like a 3K amp. It looks like poop.

I mean in that price get a Diezel VH4 for christs sake.

For less than 1/3 of the price you can get a better sounding Hybris.

/thread

Then those are valid reasons to say, forget it.

But looks? Nah.
Washburn MG-44(E)
Ibanez RG421 (Eb)
Vox Valvetronix VT40
Vox AC4tv 1x10
I am sure they will be a good deal when they are used. Expect to see them spray painted and de-badged.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
Quote by Shadowofravenwo
If your audience is staring at your rig, maybe that is a commentary on your playing?

I'm not saying your can't have both. I'm not saying you shouldn't go for both. But for me, tone is what is more important.

Your amp is a stage prop. Why wouldn't you want a good looking (or at least not embarassing) prop? And I said you may buy it anyway if it sounds good.
It's not just ugly it looks tacky, like something you'd buy at Toys 'R' Us. I can appreciate non-conventional but that just looks childish.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
Your amp is a stage prop.

I guess. I look at the player, so I can see if there is anything to learn. Maybe that's just me.

Why wouldn't you want a good looking (or at least not embarassing) prop? And I said you may buy it anyway if it sounds good.

I want people looking ME! My playing should have them focused on me. Not my amp. Mind you, I use a small combo and a Wah. Maybe I'm not showy enough.

It's not just ugly it looks tacky, like something you'd buy at Toys 'R' Us. I can appreciate non-conventional but that just looks childish.

Agreed. It does look bad. I haven't heard a sound clip yet, but I imagine it's not great. I appreciate Gates as a player. He tone is barely passable to me. Is it the ridiculous compression? Or the ridiculous gain?
Washburn MG-44(E)
Ibanez RG421 (Eb)
Vox Valvetronix VT40
Vox AC4tv 1x10
Last edited by Shadowofravenwo at Jan 28, 2013,
There's maybe 0.5% of people in the audience that would recognise good playing if it crawled up their arse and bit them. You're putting on a show, not just showing off how well you can play. A show is a combination of many elements that all combine to entertain an audience. The element contributed by having that amp behind you is saying, "I'm a juvenile douche."
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I just realized that James Brown is the guy behind the original 5150 and JSX, some of the most popular amps around here. He made good amps for EVH and Satriani, I don't doubt that he'll do the same for Syn and Schecter. Who knows, everyone might be playing the Asian versions of these amps in a few years.
Quote by Shadowofravenwo
I guess. I look at the player, so I can see if there is anything to learn. Maybe that's just me.

I want people looking ME! My playing should have them focused on me. Not my amp. Mind you, I use a small combo and a Wah. Maybe I'm not showy enough.

Agreed. It does look bad. I haven't heard a sound clip yet, but I imagine it's not great. I appreciate Gates as a player. He tone is barely passable to me. Is it the ridiculous compression? Or the ridiculous gain?

Stage Pressence is a huge factor though. The reason people dress up like badasses to put on a concert is it makes them feel like badasses and confidence leads to better playing and a better show. If the amp doesn't look good then it's could effect your confidence. Seems stupid I know but the littlest things are what get stuck in your mind.

If anyone plays golf you might know how one bad put can turn into an entire bad round if you can't drive it from your mind afterwards.

That said I agree that sound > looks, but for the money why not have both?
Quote by KrymsinViking

If you're pawning your left leg for a signature amp, why can't it look and sound good?

Why should your amp need to look so bad that the audience would be forced to look at you? That doesn't say very much of the performer's stage presence.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Quote by JELIFISH19
I just realized that James Brown is the guy behind the original 5150 and JSX, some of the most popular amps around here. He made good amps for EVH and Satriani, I don't doubt that he'll do the same for Syn and Schecter. Who knows, everyone might be playing the Asian versions of these amps in a few years.

Eh.... its not bad, just not good enough. I still want to play one myself but I certainly heard it enough the last 4 days at NAMM.

Too expensive.

I wouldn't buy an amp that looked that horrible. Maybe its Jersey Shore thing?
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
Quote by KrymsinViking
Stage Pressence is a huge factor though. The reason people dress up like badasses to put on a concert is it makes them feel like badasses and confidence leads to better playing and a better show. If the amp doesn't look good then it's could effect your confidence. Seems stupid I know but the littlest things are what get stuck in your mind.

If anyone plays golf you might know how one bad put can turn into an entire bad round if you can't drive it from your mind afterwards.

who gets self conscious over what their amp looks like?
If I'm going to buy an amp designed by child labour I don't expect to pay $3k for it. If they are going to cut their costs by employing 14 yo kids I want to see those savings passed on to the customer.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Had the amp out of the box for an hour before it stopped working and smelled like burning. Sounded good before that happened though.
i mean, look at every member of A7X. i think syn is one of the best metal players alive right now, and i do like some of thier music, but i think a bit of their appearance is kinda "glam".

i mean, look at their guitars, thier general marketing, etc. this amp is right on the money for them. i mean, if this amp looks exactly like an A7X amp should. slightly tacky, slightly hardcore, slightly distastful in an over-the-top mainstream sense, and capable of pulling off syns weird yet awesome lead tones.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
Yeah but for that money I could buy a CEC Brigand or a Rhodes Gemini or a fully loaded RM100 or a Mesa Mark V or a Recto - or three Hybrises. It's ugly and it smells bad.
It's a no brainer. Why would I buy some ugly, overpriced piece of Chinese junk when I can have one of those for the same or less? ^
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
i mean did you read my post? i am basically dissing the band and this amp....but the amp is perfect for the player.

...despite the fact that i just spent the last 1.5 hrs playing A7X. cause the riffage and leads are just pure guitar glory. unforunately, i think the lyrics etc are a bit cheesey.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
Yeah, I did. What I said still stands on it's merits. If you want tacky stage gimickry you could always do this too and still have a quality amp underneath.

No thanks.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
2600 for the Chinese version? 3700 for the USA version....WTF?????
I'd never pay that much for a chinese amp. The Egantor Tourmaster was too much at 1600.

There are so many other great amps out there for less.
The prices on Schecters website are MSRP. Keep in mind, that means the real price can drop by as much as half, MSRP is a shitty marketing ploy to say "oh look! You could be paying this! But we're only making you pay this much! Buy from us because we offer great prices!", meanwhile the distributors acquire these pieces of gear for 1/2 or even 1/3rd the price any of us pay for it new.

They're going on a few different websites for $2,600 by the for the USA models. A bit expensive, but not as bad as it seems.
I'm always screwing with my rig. Muh chilluns:
Warmoth NRFR strat JB/Jazz
Mesa Boogie Royal Atlantic, Diezel 2x12
Turbo tuner, J Cantrell wah, Alesis 3630
Green Rhino, Wampler Velvet, Strymon ElCap/Lex, Phase 45