Page 1 of 2
57Goldtop
Piano Player in Disguise
1,473 IQ
I’ll try to keep this short and to the point. I have my Harley up for sale right now. Once it sells I need to pay a few bills, but then I’m going to use the rest of the cash to buy some new toys.

I’m trying to decide between the following:

Option 1
Pick up a used Gibson ES-335. It's an awesome guitar, but it would take up all my free cash.

Option 2
Pick up an Epiphone Sheraton II instead. It’s much cheaper, so I’d have enough cash leftover to also pick up a used Gibson SG Standard and a second amp (I’m leaning towards a Fender Bassman). I’d also get a set of 57 Classics to upgrade the Sheraton.

So what would you do? Spend all your money on a real Gibson ES-335? Or spread the wealth on a few different toys? Is the Sheraton good enough to keep me happy, especially since I could get another guitar and an amp on top of it? I'm torn...

For reference – I currently have a USA G&L Legacy that I run through a Marshall DSL100. I play a mix of stuff from indie to blues to rock, and I occasionally play at church. Anything I buy would be added to my current gear (I'm not getting rid of the G&L or the DSL).
Current Gear:
2002 Gibson Les Paul Standard
'57 AVRI Fender Stratocaster
MIJ Fender Jaguar Special HH
Marshall JVM410
Vox AC15 C2
Last edited by 57Goldtop at Jan 22, 2013,
mmolteratx
UG God
3,786 IQ
335, no doubt, out of those two options. If you're going to go for a few cheaper guitars, skip Epiphone and grab some MIJ Tokais, Burnys, Grecos, etc. gregs1020 or greeny_23 can help you more on that front than I can, but they're way better guitars than the Epiphones and in the same general price range.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
halfj06
565 IQ
I would go to abstore that has both and play them side be side and descide if the gibson is that much better in your hands. Also don't forget about gretsch's semi and hallows, I always thought they had a lot cooler vibe then gibson products
Bhaok
The evil old man
27 IQ
If you are willing to spend that amount of money you really need to go out and try some guitars to see what you like. You just might find something totally off your radar that speaks to you. Sure you can take the lazy route and order blindly online but,why?
Bhaok

The following statement is true. The proceeding statement is false.
Shadowofravenwo
Recent tube convert
1,676 IQ
Quote by Bhaok
If you are willing to spend that amount of money you really need to go out and try some guitars to see what you like. You just might find something totally off your radar that speaks to you. Sure you can take the lazy route and order blindly online but,why?

This!

What if the many guitars sound better than just the one?
Washburn MG-44(E)
Ibanez RG421 (Eb)
Art & Lutherie Electric Cutaway
Vox Valvetronix VT40
Vox AC4tv 1x10
Vox Original Wah-Wah Pedal V847-A
MXR '78 Custom Badass Distortion
57Goldtop
Piano Player in Disguise
1,473 IQ
Sorry, I should have been more specific. I've played all of these guitars enough to know that I like them. What I'm trying to decide is whether I want to spend all my free cash on one thing (the 335), or if it makes more sense to spread the wealth on a few things. Regardless of which path I choose I won't be buying blind. I've looked at some alternatives but these are the two options I keep coming back to.
Current Gear:
Marshall JVM410
Vox AC15 C2
57Goldtop
Piano Player in Disguise
1,473 IQ
Quote by mmolteratx
skip Epiphone and grab some MIJ Tokais, Burnys, Grecos, etc. gregs1020 or greeny_23 can help you more on that front than I can, but they're way better guitars than the Epiphones and in the same general price range.

I've considered this too. And I agree that there are some good 335 alternatives out there. The only thing is they are usually harder to find locally and I'm hesitant to buy a guitar without playing it in person first.
Current Gear:
Marshall JVM410
Vox AC15 C2
Soccerguy
Bloo
665 IQ
Why not look at a custom with that money? You seem to be interested in hollowbodies and I'm pretty sure you could afford a Carvin hollowbody with that sorta budget.
leigh596
Gaming and Guitar
1,910 IQ
spread the wealth man
My Rig
Fender Blacktop Strat HH MN > Joyo JF-01 Vintage Overdrive > Boss ME50 > Line 6 Spider IV 30

Other Shit
Jim Deacon Acoustic
Yamaha 12 string acoustic

New Amp Fund
£300/700
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl
2,968 IQ
Quote by mmolteratx
335, no doubt, out of those two options. If you're going to go for a few cheaper guitars, skip Epiphone and grab some MIJ Tokais, Burnys, Grecos, etc. gregs1020 or greeny_23 can help you more on that front than I can, but they're way better guitars than the Epiphones and in the same general price range.

+1

it's really a judgement call that can only be made by you.

It also depends on how many different tones you need. someone who only plays the same style of music would likely be better served by one killer guitar. But someone who needs a wide range of tones may well be better served with several different guitars (though obviously having twenty £100 guitars is probably silly no matter what tones you need).

also since you already have a killer guitar you're used to nice kit, so that's worth bearing in mind too.
Quote by crownegamers
I saw in a couple of pictures that on Bucketheads Les Paul (only some pictures) that his neck pickup is painted in white. Can anyone explain to me why he would do this, and if there are any pros and cons.

Quote by dspellman
The guy wears a KFC Bucket and a white mask during performances, and you're interested in the color of his pickup covers?

Silver Hilton
Old enough
812 IQ
Get the Epiphone, replace the pickups, and buy more toys. I have the sheraton. I replaced the pickups, nut and bridge, had the fretboard PLEK'd, and it's as nice as any 335 I have played, for less than half the money. Sure the wood isn't as pretty as a bookmatched 335, but where it counts, it's a playing machine.

Sheratons are just fine.
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster
Epiphone Sheraton II, Seymour Duncan Jazz and '59.
ESP Horizon NT II
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Mesa 5:50 Express
Egnator Rebel 30
Hughes and Kettner Tubemeister 18
Last edited by Silver Hilton at Jan 22, 2013,
redandwhite12
red and also white
1,395 IQ
Quote by halfj06
I would go to abstore that has both and play them side be side and descide if the gibson is that much better in your hands. Also don't forget about gretsch's semi and hallows, I always thought they had a lot cooler vibe then gibson products

The typical Gretsch sounds quiet a bit different from the guitar he wants. A lot more twangy and snappy when compared to the warm sweet tone of a 335.

I'd get the 335. Personally I think its a better idea to have one really good thing instead of a bunch of mediocre things. But that's just my opinion.
Woffelz
Mmmm...donuts...
3,346 IQ
Also think about the maintenance for having to clean and restring those multiple guitars.
Woffelz

Twitter
Youtube
Tumblr

Ibanez RG2550Z/SRX430
Alesis Core 1
BIAS FX

I'm a student. I've got no time or space for an amp!
57Goldtop
Piano Player in Disguise
1,473 IQ
Quote by Woffelz
Also think about the maintenance for having to clean and restring those multiple guitars.

That stuff doesn't usually bother me that much. I'm down to one guitar now but at one time I think I had about seven or eight. I'd line up a few cold beers, find something good on TV and just zone out while I clean/polish/restring. Although the guitars I've owned with floating trems or bigsbys were always a PITA to work on...
Current Gear:
Marshall JVM410
Vox AC15 C2
Last edited by 57Goldtop at Jan 22, 2013,
ihartfood
Potato Faced Blind Man
551 IQ
the sheratons I have played (2) were down on the quality side, although that could be a fluke. I suggest you go for a different 335 copy for the same price and take option 2.
dannyalcatraz
Black Cherry Jello
3,265 IQ
Either way has its plusses and minuses.

If the Gibson 335 is your "Pearl of Great Price", buy it. You might never see as good a deal on one again.

OTOH, settling on one when you could have many can lead to regrets of the "I had an opportunity to broaden my collection and missed it" kind.

BOTH suck.

What does your current collection look like? Is it just the G&L? If so, you clearly like quality axes- go for the 335.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

alhaq369
It is very impotent to success a business.
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Jan 22, 2013,
ch1ng_chung
2,038 IQ
You should look into an Egnater Tweaker, that thing can make VOX tones better than an AC-15 and about every tone the DSL doesn't reach

It's like having 10 different amps in one, but i wouldn't call it a modeling amp because it also has its own tone
halfj06
565 IQ
Quote by redandwhite12
The typical Gretsch sounds quiet a bit different from the guitar he wants. A lot more twangy and snappy when compared to the warm sweet tone of a 335.

I'd get the 335. Personally I think its a better idea to have one really good thing instead of a bunch of mediocre things. But that's just my opinion.

Right the grestch sounds different, but for his choice genres of indie, blues and rock I think it fits the bill.. and has a distinct voice.. which Ive always felt gibson and especially epiphone fall short.
Glenn Guitar
395 IQ
IMO if you go for the Epiphone, you will be like "i could have got a 335"

That does depend on if the guitar has a significantly better feel over the Epi.

But if i was you, i'd get the 335.
Upgraded HSS USA Fender American Series Strat
G&L USA 30th Anniversary Legacy
Laney Lionheart 20 112
Generic Boss DD-3
Blackstar Ht-1
and an old Beaten up dunlop Mr.Crybaby.

http://www.facebook.com/CarelessRumour
57Goldtop
Piano Player in Disguise
1,473 IQ
Quote by dannyalcatraz
What does your current collection look like? Is it just the G&L? If so, you clearly like quality axes- go for the 335.

Yeah, the collection is currently down to just the G&L. Although I do have another guitar project in-progress that I hope to finish after I sell the bike. It's a MIJ Cortez copy of a Gibson Les Paul Jr, double cutaway with routes for two dogear P-90s. It needs pickups, new pots, and a jack.

I've had very nice guitars in the past ('57 reissue Goldtop) as well as dirt-cheap guitars. I've enjoyed both. There are plusses and minuses to both. But the reality is that I probably won't come across a large chunk of "free money" again for a very long time, and if I don't pick up the ES-335 now then I might be waiting for a while.
Current Gear:
Marshall JVM410
Vox AC15 C2
TuningGamer
2 years and going strong
430 IQ
Quote by 57Goldtop

I've had very nice guitars in the past ('57 reissue Goldtop) as well as dirt-cheap guitars. I've enjoyed both. There are plusses and minuses to both. But the reality is that I probably won't come across a large chunk of "free money" again for a very long time, and if I don't pick up the ES-335 now then I might be waiting for a while.

Sounds like you want the 335 deep inside. Go for it
Gear:

Guitars:
LTD Viper 100FM
Ibanez RG320PG P2 (For sale*)
Ibanez RGA32 (w/ IronGear pups)
Epiphone Pro-1

Amps:
Vox VT15
or
Vox Tonelab EX
- through -
Peavey KB-300

* = PM me for more details

Quote by Willowthewitch

The actual correct answer
monwobobbo
608 IQ
how bout an ES-339 and then you'd have some cash left over. even better see about a used one and get the SG as well.
dannyalcatraz
Black Cherry Jello
3,265 IQ
Quote by 57Goldtop
Yeah, the collection is currently down to just the G&L. Although I do have another guitar project in-progress that I hope to finish after I sell the bike. It's a MIJ Cortez copy of a Gibson Les Paul Jr, double cutaway with routes for two dogear P-90s. It needs pickups, new pots, and a jack.

Assuming the 335 is in good shape and actually sounds better than the other guitars, then there is no question: 335.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

alhaq369
It is very impotent to success a business.
mmolteratx
UG God
3,786 IQ
Quote by ch1ng_chung
You should look into an Egnater Tweaker, that thing can make VOX tones better than an AC-15 and about every tone the DSL doesn't reach

It's like having 10 different amps in one, but i wouldn't call it a modeling amp because it also has its own tone

What?
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
57Goldtop
Piano Player in Disguise
1,473 IQ
Quote by TuningGamer
Sounds like you want the 335 deep inside. Go for it

I guess I do, but I still haven't ruled out the other option. The thing that's really holding me back is the idea of getting a second amp, which I couldn't do if I got the 335. My DSL is great for a lot of things, but I like that Fender-blues tone. It's possible I might have a tiny bit of cash left over if I get the 335, but probably not more than $250. Definitely not enough for a Bassman. But maybe enough for something else that has a good bluesy tone?

Quote by monwobobbo
how bout an ES-339 and then you'd have some cash left over. even better see about a used one and get the SG as well.

I'm actually planning on buying used regardless. And for some reason the used 339's I've seen are the same prices as used 335's.
Current Gear:
Marshall JVM410
Vox AC15 C2
halfj06
565 IQ
Your g&l would pull off blues good with a more suited amp. Id go amp first
TuningGamer
2 years and going strong
430 IQ
Quote by 57Goldtop
I guess I do, but I still haven't ruled out the other option. The thing that's really holding me back is the idea of getting a second amp, which I couldn't do if I got the 335. My DSL is great for a lot of things, but I like that Fender-blues tone. It's possible I might have a tiny bit of cash left over if I get the 335, but probably not more than $250. Definitely not enough for a Bassman. But maybe enough for something else that has a good bluesy tone?

Either get the 335 and save for a new amp (if 335's are hard to come by or this is an epic deal) or go the other way round. I find it hard to believe you can't save cash if you can buy the stuff you have at the moment. It might take a while, but you will be happier in the end. A 335 also seems to have more resale value, but I wouldn't really know about that.
Gear:

Guitars:
LTD Viper 100FM
Ibanez RG320PG P2 (For sale*)
Ibanez RGA32 (w/ IronGear pups)
Epiphone Pro-1

Amps:
Vox VT15
or
Vox Tonelab EX
- through -
Peavey KB-300

* = PM me for more details

Quote by Willowthewitch

The actual correct answer
hminh87
Justin here!
4,672 IQ
I would go for a custom Carvin and still got enough money for a nice extra amp.
G͔͓̅e͎͉̟̽ͬ͐̎̃͐ͨͅå͈͖͕̹̤̟̐̏͋ͅr̩͕̫̰̗s̹̳̼ͥ̒̍̄̅ͥ̚:

ESP Standard Eclipse I CTM VW
ESP LTD Deluxe H-1001
ESP LTD Deluxe Viper-1000 STBC
ESP Edwards E-EX-100STD
Warmoth Paulcaster "Tiger"
Tanglewood TW170 AS
Vox Tonelab ST
Blackstar HT-1R

ZepJunkie
Strataholic
222 IQ
I'd go 335. Especially since it'll only be worth more in the long run. As well as being absolutely beautiful. If I could afford it, the 335 would be the first one i'd buy.
Battery Chicken
Viva la Revolucion!
434 IQ
Get the 335 man, you may never be able to afford one again. I'd rather one guitar that I adored, than 20 that never quite cut the mustard.
RedMist
44 IQ
I would say always buy the best guitar you can afford. The 335 is one of my all time favs, so I'm a little biased. I have a Fender Blues Deville amp that I love, so I would recommend one to anybody.
RedMist
44 IQ
Quote by halfj06
Right the grestch sounds different, but for his choice genres of indie, blues and rock I think it fits the bill.. and has a distinct voice.. which Ive always felt gibson and especially epiphone fall short.

I love Gretsch, but I certainly don't think the 335 falls short in any department. They are beautiful guitars with amazing tone.
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl
2,968 IQ
Quote by 57Goldtop

yep definitely there are pros and cons to both approaches. It's not like there's any clear definitive answer, and you know your situation better than we do. Good luck with whatever you decide
Quote by crownegamers
I saw in a couple of pictures that on Bucketheads Les Paul (only some pictures) that his neck pickup is painted in white. Can anyone explain to me why he would do this, and if there are any pros and cons.

Quote by dspellman
The guy wears a KFC Bucket and a white mask during performances, and you're interested in the color of his pickup covers?

57Goldtop
Piano Player in Disguise
1,473 IQ
Something else occurred to me. I don't necessarily need two amps (a Marshall and a Fender). I just want to have a more flexible range of tones available for recording. So maybe I should buy the 335 with the cash from my bike because deep down that's what I really want to do. Then I could sell my DSL and use that cash to buy a more flexible amp. That probably makes more sense for my needs right now.

Any recommendations on amps that can cover Marshall rock tones and Fender blues tones (price range of about $600-$800)? My first thought is the Egnater Tweaker, as randomly mentioned earlier. But I would be open to other ideas...
Current Gear:
Marshall JVM410
Vox AC15 C2
JustRooster
Professionally Crabby
7,261 IQ
I've had such GAS for a Silverburst les paul lately. That's where my 2k would go.

EDIT: To answer your amp question, check out the Blackstar HT-60. I'm a big Blackstar fan, and you have the bias knob to go from an American to British voicing.

Quote by EyeNon15
Thats too bad, I was under the impression I was arguing something profound

gregs1020
Hi mom!
10,786 IQ
Quote by 57Goldtop
Any recommendations on amps that can cover Marshall rock tones and Fender blues tones (price range of about $600-$800)? My first thought is the Egnater Tweaker, as randomly mentioned earlier. But I would be open to other ideas...

try a renegade too.

sam ash by me had some ass kicking midtowns for $999.

saw this yesterday. it was not easy to walk out without it.

Quote by Roc8995
I don't think I've ever played anything in black walnut. It's a great ice cream flavor, so I assume it works well for a strat too.

Quote by JustRooster
The slugs in the pickups for telecasters are from old winchester rifles, which is why they sound so country.
mattrusso
615 IQ
I would get the 335. It'll obviously have the best build quality and it can do a really good approximation of any sounds you'd want from that SG. Also, it'll be one less thing to worry about maintaining.

For amps, check out the Egnater Tweaker and Rebel. I have a Rebel 30 combo and I couldn't be happier with it.

Also, if you're considering the Midtown, just know that it's not a true semi-hollow. It's basically just a chambered solid body with f holes for decoration.

I know someone mentioned Gretsch. I love Gretsch guitars, but the traditional Gretsch sound (and full hollow bodies in general) doesn't seem to be what you're looking for. You should check out their new Center Block models, though. I don't think they come out for another month or so, but they're the first Gretsch semi-hollows (as opposed to full hollow) that I know of. They look pretty sweet! Here's a link (just click on the Center Block tab):

http://www.gretschguitars.com/features/130-anniversary#tabs
Last edited by mattrusso at Jan 23, 2013,
thehikingdude
3,407 IQ
My vote: Get the 335.

Then down the road when you have mo' money you can add to your collection. That way you end up with everything on your list. Just takes a bit longer.