GAPendragon
Fist Shaking Pony
523 IQ
I'd like to start building guitars/basses from scratch, and I've done general woodwork in the past but not specifically relating to guitars so I'm not sure which of the larger tools are strictly necesarry to build them. I don't have a great deal of space right now and wondered if anybody here might able to give me a rough idea of the minimum amount of space needed for a basic workshop? How many of the basic tools have decent handheld alternatives? I can expand into the garden while working but I will still need the room to store everything.

Thanks in advance.
Quote by FatalGear41
Bassists don't hover on the forum day and night like guitarists. We've got lives to lead, music to play and whiskey to drink.

Quote by Ziphoblat
I'd rather go at my hands with a hacksaw than play lead guitar, and I'm only slightly exaggerating.
von Layzonfon
UG's Grammar Stickler
1,214 IQ
I've done my first two builds with nothing more than hand tools. Although I've not built a neck as yet. I don't have a workshop and have used variously: the garden, the garage, the conservatory and a spare bedroom that was being redecorated.
My tools consist of the following:
Router
Drill (with drill guide)
Jigsaw
Various rasps and files
Various screwdrivers
Various clamps
Lots of sandpaper
A folding "workmate" style bench (approx 50cm x 25cm working area)
A home-made thicknessing jig (approx 50cm x 100cm)

Aside from these last two items I could get just about everything, including parts, finishes, etc., into a reasonably sized (40cm x 40cm x 50cm) cardboard box when not in use and only really needed enough room to set up the workbench and walk around it when I was working.

However, having said that, it's far from ideal conditions. But when your garage looks like mine (full of crap) then there's not really any other option. I'll be embarking on my third build soon enough in exactly the same fashion.

Oh, and if you really want to see minimal tooling, try and find guitar-tin's stratocaster build.

Edit:
Found it: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1436490
Last edited by von Layzonfon at Jan 25, 2013,
Telecaster7
Call me Leon
1,439 IQ
^ To further that last point, I think this is guitar_tin's website. I haven't read through it but it might offer some good info so you can see what you think you can do with or without tools.

http://building.guitarbacktracks.hostei.com/
GAPendragon
Fist Shaking Pony
523 IQ
Perfect, thanks. It'll be a big help not having to buy and find room for the bigger stuff.
Quote by FatalGear41
Bassists don't hover on the forum day and night like guitarists. We've got lives to lead, music to play and whiskey to drink.

Quote by Ziphoblat
I'd rather go at my hands with a hacksaw than play lead guitar, and I'm only slightly exaggerating.
Last edited by GAPendragon at Jan 25, 2013,
RebuildIt
254 IQ
Second (or third)?) the above sentiments. I built a workshop that became just storage space. For now I use a small bedroom converted to computer and guitar workshop. With a computer desk, a dresser, a small couch, a 150 gallon snake tank, wine brewing in one corner, boxes of crap in another, 7 amps and 19 guitars, there is barely enough room to turn around. A nice shop with a table and some standup tools would be fun someday.