Page 1 of 2
Any UGers into the old Steampunk thing? If so, which parts? The fashion? The fiction? The music?

Do you own any Steampunk gear? Post, people! ^_^
Harry Potter is DEAD! Ehhhhh heh heeehhhh!!!
-Voldemort
I've always been a big fan of the art; just the whole style of it.

I still want an Elder Scrolls meets Fallout meets Steampunk type RPG.
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
Not really.

I have some steampunk goggles that I bought for the workshop because they were less likely to steam up.

They're not very good though.

I guess there's a fair bit that I like, but I'd never wear it.
My computers wallpaper is steampunk, but that`s about it.
One of the third friendliest users
Stratkat's pet

Quote by Momentosis
Void is a wanker that's why

The art is cool. Never read any kind of fanfic about it.

Quote by EyeNon15
Thats too bad, I was under the impression I was arguing something profound

1 3 5 R
2 4 6
I like the look of stuff from the industrial revolution, and I like the look of stuff modeled after it.

But it's never more than

"oh that looks pretty cool"
It's over simplified, So what!

Quote by eGraham
I'm going to be on top of what is called a knob
Quote by theguitarist
Big ones can be fun in some ways but generally, they are a pain in the ass.
Quote by Wolfinator-x
I don't know what is going on in this thread or why I have an erection.
I like the fashion, I think it's pretty cool. I don't think I'd ever wear it though unless it's for Halloween. I do own a corset though so maybe I can dress it up.
STಠ_ಠ
Quote by Andrea55
I like the fashion, I think it's pretty cool. I don't think I'd ever wear it though unless it's for Halloween. I do own a corset though so maybe I can dress it up.

pics or it didn't happen

btw, It's Halloween tomorrow
It's over simplified, So what!

Quote by eGraham
I'm going to be on top of what is called a knob
Quote by theguitarist
Big ones can be fun in some ways but generally, they are a pain in the ass.
Quote by Wolfinator-x
I don't know what is going on in this thread or why I have an erection.
it makes me sad that steampunk is going to turn into a giant trend everywhere
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Quote by Acϵ♠
it makes me sad that steampunk is going to turn into a giant trend everywhere

Is it?

Why do you think that?
For the fashion part, I only have one pair of goggles and a couple of pocket watches. I need to get more gear >.<

I do, however, have a training Thespian friend who intends to make a Steampunk version of 'Phantom Of The Opera', which will be amazing...
Harry Potter is DEAD! Ehhhhh heh heeehhhh!!!
-Voldemort
Quote by EchoStrings
For the fashion part, I only have one pair of goggles and a couple of pocket watches. I need to get more gear >.<

I do, however, have a training Thespian friend who intends to make a Steampunk version of 'Phantom Of The Opera', which will be amazing...

If you ever want a steampunk guitar in a year or two's hit me up.
i like how everything is mechanical...thatsabout it

and steam steam is nice

never wear it though

edit- i did see a steam punk guitar and amp set up which i thought was pretty shweet
I'm more into cyberpunk, in regards of literature, fashion and movies. I don't really like all that nu-old-skool kind of steam thing.
Quote by ChemicalFire
You get my first ever lolstack

The image in my head is just too funny for words at this point

Aw yeah.
i think any potential interest i had in steampunk was lost when i first watched wild wild west
Quote by whoomit
Is it?

Why do you think that?

man i can just feel it coming, ive already seen traces of it in design in various products and it's "cool" and "retrochic" enough that it's gonna catch on like wildfire. Give it a year or two, but i promise you there will be steampunk all over the place soon enough
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Quote by EchoStrings
The fashion?

Yes, but more so something that belongs in entertainment. I wouldn't wear any of it. Ever.

The fiction?

Yes, mainly Steampunk-themed games or TV shows. Also, there's a few decent Steampunk webcomics.

The music?

Yes, to a degree. Check out http://shop.vernianprocess.com/album/behold-the-machine

The album used to be free, but now it costs $10.
Last edited by crazysam23_Atax at Jan 23, 2013,
I think some of it is cool, like steampunk computer cases and keyboards and things (although just plain wooden keyboards and computer cases are nicer. The novels are generally awful, though.
...Stapling helium to penguins since 1949.
Quote by Acϵ♠
man i can just feel it coming, ive already seen traces of it in design in various products and it's "cool" and "retrochic" enough that it's gonna catch on like wildfire. Give it a year or two, but i promise you there will be steampunk all over the place soon enough

Hmm, I haven't seen anything, but then, I'm in a different country. And I don't go out much....

I really like this:

I have no idea why, and I wish I could wear it, but I can't.
Quote by Todd Hart
The novels are generally awful, though.

Steampunk really hasn't had a great novelist, in the way that Sci-Fi had Frank Herbet or that Fantasy had Robert Jordan and Tolkien. Really, to me, writing genres need someone who is a great writer to sort of jumpstart them, to make them more than just some novelty-fest for people who want to jizz off to...say, Steampunk.
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
Steampunk really hasn't had a great novelist, in the way that Sci-Fi had Frank Herbet or that Fantasy had Robert Jordan and Tolkien. Really, to me, writing genres need someone who is a great writer to sort of jumpstart them, to make them more than just some novelty-fest for people who want to jizz off to...say, Steampunk.

Oh I know, but I don't think it ever will produce any really good literature, simply because it doesn't inspire or require any change in human affairs other than at a purely technological level. Sci-fi explores our potentials, but also harks back to a sense of smallness that was lost in the 20th century due to the speed of global affairs and news etc. It also allows writers to look at classical concepts of gods and good vs evil in a way that doesn't offend modern reader's idea of suspension of disbelief (most of the big sci-fi stories, Star Trek and Stargate, for example, follow very strict Greek concepts of stories being a conflict between the Apollonian and Dyonisian (reason and logic vs sensuality and pleasure). Fantasy does much the same.

Steampunk, however, is somewhat dry. It doesn't allow for anything that can't be found in either sci-fi or simple prose-fiction, because it's purely an aesthetic change. It's not really a genre, more a theme, I suppose. I'd love to be proven wrong though; steampunk does allow for a lot of great innovation and interesting problem solving. Oh and awesome gadgets, of course.
You chose Frank Herbert as your SciFi reference author? Haha. Would have jumped to Heinlein, Clark, Bradbury, etc way sooner
But we little know until tried how much of the uncontrollable there is in us, urging across glaciers and torrents, and up dangerous heights, let the judgment forbid as it may.
Quote by Dreadnought
You chose Frank Herbert as your SciFi reference author? Haha. Would have jumped to Heinlein, Clark, Bradbury, etc way sooner

Considering that "Dune" is a classic, yes.

Quote by Todd Hart

[Snip]

Steampunk, however, is somewhat dry. It doesn't allow for anything that can't be found in either sci-fi or simple prose-fiction, because it's purely an aesthetic change. It's not really a genre, more a theme, I suppose. I'd love to be proven wrong though; steampunk does allow for a lot of great innovation and interesting problem solving. Oh and awesome gadgets, of course.

And I think that would be its potential for good novels. But, unfortunately, no one has figured out how to create some epic problem and/or problem that's set in a Steampunk world, outside of games or webcomics.
Last edited by crazysam23_Atax at Jan 23, 2013,
Quote by stratman_13
I've always been a big fan of the art; just the whole style of it.

I still want an Elder Scrolls meets Fallout meets Steampunk type RPG.

Arcanum.
REGGIE
A better way of asking this question is "Are you a big old dork?"
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Quote by Dreadnought

Surely Heinlein, Clark and Asimov are the go-to sci-fi authors, I mean they are 'the big three'.
Quote by LeakyFlask
Arcanum.

Does it have LoZ style questing though?

Where it's nowhere close to linear?
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
Quote by Todd Hart
Surely Heinlein, Clark and Asimov are the go-to sci-fi authors, I mean they are 'the big three'.

Yes, I forgot Asimov. I thought of him later, but anyway...
Quote by element4433
A better way of asking this question is "Are you a big old dork?"

;_;

Just kidding. I'm writing a novel called Harken the Steel Balloon
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Quote by element4433
Just kidding. I'm writing a novel called Harken the Steel Balloon

NERD!
Quote by whoomit
NERD!

Oh suuure. Writing the story of a professor who goes adventuring in a steel balloon makes me a nerd.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano

It's cool enough I guess. Not really something that I'm into, but sometimes I see some steampunk themed stuff and say "Oh, that's cool."
Quote by element4433
Oh suuure. Writing the story of a professor who goes adventuring in a steel balloon makes me a nerd.

Edit: Hell, I'm sigging that because it's making me laugh so much.

EditAgain: Or, y'know, I might not have space ;_;
Last edited by whoomit at Jan 23, 2013,
Meh. It looks cool, but I'd never put any effort into it.
Quote by Todd Hart
Shooting your friends with a real gun is a definite faux pas.

Quote by mystical_1
Professor Plum in the Studio with a new Amp

Quote by snipelfritz
If only I were the only one at home right now. I don't need my parents asking who Mr. Wiggles is.
Page 1 of 2