60 50%
when they break
28 24%
Voters: 119.
Page 1 of 2
solidrane
Wekk Blka
1,008 IQ
Simple, How often do you change strings?

I change strings every two weeks - one month

Depending on breakage or if they sound dead.

just wondering about everyone else
???
Last edited by solidrane at Feb 26, 2013,
danvwman
91 IQ
I have 10 guitars so I only change them,

When they break

start to feel ishy

or cant get in tune or stay in tune or just sound dead.

Sometimes thats 1 week or 2 in the sweaty summer. Sometimes its 6 months if I don't play it a whole lot.
What the hell!!!
Last edited by danvwman at Jan 23, 2013,
supersac
Tab Contributor
650 IQ
the acoustic guitars my favorite which i use everyday gets changed once every cople months or so unless im doing alot of giggin or recording in which case theyll get changed everyday or so
the other acoustics get chnaged when they feel icky or break

electric guitars since im gigging once a week i change those once a month or when they break
Bair
UG Fanatic
2,917 IQ
No one sells them in my small town so whenever I go to the city
"Spin the middle side topwise. Topwise!"

"And there's Jimmy Page, the biggest thief of American Blues music"
BledGhostWhite
Stop being a centipede
742 IQ
For my two main guitars, approx every two weeks or so. For my lesser played ones, every couple months.
Quote by soundgarden1986
Screw your bases. If she doesn't let me go elbow deep in her ass on the first date, it wasn't meant to be.

Quote by willT08
Every thread on here to do with audio quality is like walking into a paddock of shit slinging chimps
trashedlostfdup
diet coke fiend.
13,606 IQ
at minimum 6 months, i don't wipe them down at all with anything. and they still aren't 'dead' at 6 months. this is true even on guitars i play a lot and guitars that don't.

i don't like coated string's, just d'addario 11's nickle blues.

they work great for me and 10 packs are $35 tops.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.
jimihendrix6699
688 IQ
depends on the brand, i pretty much use elixers only now and they last a hell of a lot longer than ernie balls. elixers can last months for me but i can go through a pack of ernie balls in a month or under.
Quote by Nelsean
Lil B, the young based god, has the ability to create music so profound, that others around him cannot even comprehend his magnificent verbal progressive nature.

Quote by The_Blode
^ oh hey y'all females...welcome !
tim_mop
1,689 IQ
My electric I change less frequently. I'm using Elixirs as they last a lot longer, so every three months or so I change them

Acoustic, theoretically every month
racertj5
Wannabe Guitar God
330 IQ
I just change them when I feel like they need it. Not often
"Music is the only thing that makes sense anymore man, play it loud enough it keeps the demons at bay." - Jojo from ATU
Currently Own:
Ibanez GAX70
Peavey VYPYR 15.
Mitchell Acoustic M0100
Johnson Acoustic JG 100
StrykVladzimsky
ESP through Potato
2,585 IQ
I play guitar every day, and so my strings get pretty gunky pretty quick, even though I wash my hands before I play most of the time. I also like smooth strings, so like once every 1-2 months.
Quote by luxeion
i keep asking my dad for wood. but he keeps getting annoyed (he's working on a house). and i'm too young to go outside.

losing battle
UG's Trollestia
2,508 IQ
I use elixers so pretty much when they die in my experience they are extremely tough strings.
Quote by joshua garcia
I was incredibly drunk and only really remember writing a fanfic where ESP was getting porked by a pony.

Quote by guitar0player
I'd honestly fap to anything with a set of genitals as long as I find it aesthetically appealing.
hminh87
Justin here!
4,672 IQ
I dunno. Mostly every month or so. Or until they feel rust and sticky.
G͔͓̅e͎͉̟̽ͬ͐̎̃͐ͨͅå͈͖͕̹̤̟̐̏͋ͅr̩͕̫̰̗s̹̳̼ͥ̒̍̄̅ͥ̚:

ESP Standard Eclipse I CTM VW
ESP LTD Deluxe H-1001
ESP LTD Deluxe Viper-1000 STBC
ESP Edwards E-EX-100STD
Warmoth Paulcaster "Tiger"
Tanglewood TW170 AS
Vox Tonelab ST
Blackstar HT-1R

Mephaphil
No empty frets.
1,956 IQ
Never again.
Quote by Shredwizard445
Go ahead and spend your money, I don't care. It won't make you sound better.

Quote by Shredwizard445
Sure upgrading your gear will make you sound better.

Kyleisthename
1,584 IQ
I always clean my strings and spray that Fast Fret stuff on them and my hands never sweat.
I've gone almost 1 year without changing my strings.
My Soundcloud dudes
Recording gear:
Yahama Hs8
Saffire Pro 40
Shure Sm57
Shure Sm7b

Guitar gear :
Ebmm BFR7
Axe fx XL+
Walrus audio Janus
Ibanez Ergodyne
Black Market Custom cab
Kenji20022
346 IQ
Wipe every guitar down everyday even if I didn't lay a hand on that particular guitar. When I was still really starting, I hadn't played a guitar in a month that I restrung, and just didn't give it the attention. I opened the case around 3-4 weeks later and they were black. So I wipe everything down, which isn't a big deal it's only 4 guitars, but I'd rather do that then be surprised randomly. I do in fact change them from anywhere between 8-12 months, by wiping down these coated strings, they last a ridiculous amount of time.

I use Elixirs now on my 3 6 strings, (10-46) on the Musicman, and RGA. (10-56) on the RG927, (11-49) on the LTD, and I still have to restring my Yamaha NTX Classical with these EXP45 Coated Nylon Strings.

I love the feel of Elixirs, and I don't see how some people act like it affects their tone that much. Body woods, pickups, and the amp shape your tone more than strings would. So when I jumped from D'Addarios to Elixirs, I only see it as an amazing investment. I have to spend literally 40$ a year on strings at most. And Elixir has been amazing, they sent me 8 free packs of strings to try out on all my instruments so I don't have to buy strings for awhile now.
Guitars
Musicman BFR JP12
Ibanez RGA121 (Employee Custom)
Ibanez Premium RG927QM
LTD Purple H-1001
Yamaha NTX700
Last edited by Kenji20022 at Jan 25, 2013,
gregs1020
Hi mom!
10,786 IQ
all at once.

go big or go home i always say.
Quote by Roc8995
I don't think I've ever played anything in black walnut. It's a great ice cream flavor, so I assume it works well for a strat too.

Quote by JustRooster
The slugs in the pickups for telecasters are from old winchester rifles, which is why they sound so country.
ibrahimasood
Is cooler than you
3,916 IQ
Quote by danvwman
I have 10 guitars so I only change them,

When they break

start to feel ishy

or cant get in tune or stay in tune or just sound dead.

Sometimes thats 1 week or 2 in the sweaty summer. Sometimes its 6 months if I don't play it a whole lot.

same as this but I have 6 guitars
JUST ANOTHER ANNOYING BIG STATUS
kangaxxter
tune up turn on rock out
1,360 IQ
About every seven weeks on my main guitar (Fender Strat).

Much longer on my acoustic (EJ-200)
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Fender Rumble 100 V3
Eric Johnson Fuzz Face
NYC Big Muff Pi
Blompcube
Registered User Error
4,368 IQ
i change my strings irregularly depending on how long it takes before they start to feel rough and icky. or when they break.

sometimes they last 6 months, sometimes they last a few hours
Rig: (under construction)
1979 Yamaha SG1000
Fender Jazzmaster
1964 Vox AC30TB
A/B/Tuner box
A -> DIY fuzz, tremolo and boost -> normal channel
B -> compressor, chorus and delay -> brilliant channel
Boss TU-3/Talkbox
aerosmithfan95
Tab Contributor
1,075 IQ
With my guitars, I usually change them once a month or two. Once they go longer than 3 months, they begin to feel really dirty and dull sounding.
Skip the username, call me Billy

'13 Fender MIA Stratocaster
'16 Fender Jaguar

Marshall Vintage Modern 2266

Pedals by EHX, Way Huge, and Boss
demonhellcat
402 IQ
Every 3-4 weeks on my electric which is played almost everyday and played live every Sunday morning. I'll let my acoustic go 2-3 months as it doesn't get as much play time.
AcidParadox
528 IQ
Whenever I have the money to buy new strings, or I feel they need a change. Whichever's more convenient.
Offworld92
One among the fence.
7,563 IQ
Ideally I like to change them every 3 months, but sometimes I'll wait up to 6 months.

It's easy for me because I can't stand the tone of brand new strings. Way too bright and clangy/snappy. Awful. Generally, the further broken in they are, the better they sound to me, but then you have to balance with them sounding good and them feeling bad. But within 6 months, that's really never an issue for me. My strings don't ever rust, or even really accumulate dirt and gunk like a ton of guitars do. Not sure why not, just my genetics I guess.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Chaz-6(sic)6
ThatMETALDude
1,942 IQ
I change them about every 2-4 months, kind of depending unless a string snaps during a solo or I hit the strings way too hard like an idiot.
I make sure to wash my hands before playing and that seems to help them last longer.
Though I have to admit, I'm not a huge fan of how new strings sound. I have to play a couple of days before I hit that sweet spot where they've settled in I guess.

Though when I used to play in my old band, I used to have to change them once a week.
Jackson DK-2 [2004 MIJ] (EMG 81/SA)
Jackson RR-3 [2007 MIJ] (EMG 81/60)
Ibanez RG370DX [2009] (EMG 81/60)
Epiphone Les Paul Custom [2004] (EMG 81/85)
Ltd/Esp M-17 7-String [2013] (EMG 81-7 set)
Bugera 333XL 120watt Tube Head, Crate BV412 Cab
Last edited by Chaz-6(sic)6 at Jan 25, 2013,
Mephaphil
No empty frets.
1,956 IQ
I've never had a problem, but I changed the strings on all my guitars at once the other day and now they're all slippery and when I bend I can't get under the string as well and my muting is all off.

It seems to be a bit better now and maybe it's a case of just me and new strings but it was horrible.
Quote by Shredwizard445
Go ahead and spend your money, I don't care. It won't make you sound better.

Quote by Shredwizard445
Sure upgrading your gear will make you sound better.

Dudage
West Coast Islander
554 IQ
As soon as I notice my strings starting to feel "grabby" against my fingers, I'll change em. Or if I notice them starting to lose their brightness, less harmonics and whatnot.

It's usually around 3 or 4 months, sometimes more. It helps having more than one main guitar, takes the heat off just one set of strings
\,,/_[><]_\,,/
Last edited by Dudage at Jan 25, 2013,
George Juggles
Tab Contributor
1,309 IQ
Usually about 3-5 months, or whenever the intonation goes/ don't stay in tune.
Peavey Classic 30
PRS SE Custom Semi-Hollow
+some pedals
Pink Muse
V Aww Yeahh. V
599 IQ
Around 6 weeks is what I go for, with Ernie Ball skinny top/heavy bottom. That's right around where they start to sound like I'm turning to tone knob down every few days.

I just slapped some Everly B-52's on last week, they already feel better, we'll see how long they last.
Quote by Wisthekiller
tl;dr How does one safely remove the smell of a corpse from a banjo?

Would you run down past the fence?

Tell us, is the black box lying?
MetalheadA7X
Funeral Thirst
902 IQ
Main gigging guitar (S520EX) - usually every month
7 String - Every 2-3 months
RG770DX - Every 2 months
Bass - Not since I bought it 3 years ago. I have a set waiting to be put on I've just never gotten around to it.
Ibanez RG770DX Reissue

Ibanez Apex 2

Ibanez S520EX w/ EMGs

Marshall DSL100 Halfstack

NEWCASTLE UNITED!
HomerSGR
What?
1,012 IQ
Currently owning 9 guitars, and playing all of them pretty much. I do not sweat much when I play and I don't notice strings becoming 'bad' until they have grooves from the frets. Hate the metallic sound of new strings by the way.

So... Once a year? (Meaning 9 sets of strings a year, on average.)
"Your signature can not be longer than 250 characters."

How you know you have too many guitars...

Apparently once also known as PonyFan #834553.
fc89konkari
UG Addict
2,061 IQ
Once they start sounding dull, thats 1-2 months, depending on my playing. I try to keep them fresh by washing my hands before I play etc. If I've just been lazy and not changed my strings, starting to record something will motivate me to change them.

Changing the strings is fun and all, it's like giving your girlfriend a treat. It can be the biggest PITA though if a string breaks for whatever reason and you have to open another pack...
VeilSide
542 IQ
can anyone explain to me how on earth you make guitar strings last over a month?

i mean, the only set that last around a month for me are the coated elixirs...

since i don't like the way they feel i use the regular daddarios / gibsons and those wont last

more than 2 weeks.

my current set is 5 days in use and already i can tell they wont last much longer...

i do wipe them after every use but that doesn't help
4FunandProphet
Not actually a prophet...
33 IQ
Quote by VeilSide
can anyone explain to me how on earth you make guitar strings last over a month?

i mean, the only set that last around a month for me are the coated elixirs...

since i don't like the way they feel i use the regular daddarios / gibsons and those wont last

more than 2 weeks.

my current set is 5 days in use and already i can tell they wont last much longer...

i do wipe them after every use but that doesn't help

When you say "last" do you mean how to you keep them clean and feeling nice or how do you keep from breaking them?
VeilSide
542 IQ
Quote by 4FunandProphet
When you say "last" do you mean how to you keep them clean and feeling nice or how do you keep from breaking them?

welll mine aren't breaking, they are rusting to a point where they make a terrible sound and feel.