Why is sexism and racism okay to joke about, but mental disabilities are not?

Page 1 of 3
Long story short, I made a questionable tweet regarding a special needs guy, and got torn apart for it. I've since made amends, but I was wondering why people react so strongly to this as opposed to blatant sexist or racist remarks.
Quote by devourke
I love you bro. I'd totally turn gay for you after that.

November 13th, 2011. Nodincap.

LoL: Kublai Dong

MC: StealthTurtle
Twitter
Last.fm
I put taking the piss out of spackers on the same level as women and foreigners.
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

none of them are ok you mong.

if yr asking why people's reactions differ so much, i'd assume it's because we live in a world where people pretend racism and sexism isn't a real factor anymore, whereas we are gaining more and more understanding of and empathy for mental disabilities and shit.
Quote by captaincrunk
Who said it's okay to be racist? It's still not okay. Don't judge your self worth on the reaction of others, but you shouldn't be so hateful.

Oh, I'm a very tolerant person, but I do enjoy to joke around from time to time. It just seems the threshold before you insult someone is a lot lower when it comes to mental disabilities.
Quote by devourke
I love you bro. I'd totally turn gay for you after that.

November 13th, 2011. Nodincap.

LoL: Kublai Dong

MC: StealthTurtle
Twitter
Last.fm
nigga you probably got bullied on the short bus. quit talking trash on other tards and get a life
you're a stone fox
I don't think that's exactly true. Though I agree with Godsmack_IV in that many people with mental disabilities such as autism may have a hard time laughing at themselves and getting that a joke towards them is in good heart.
Quote by Wolfinator-x
Though I agree with Godsmack_IV in that many people with mental disabilities such as autism may have a hard time laughing at themselves and getting that a joke towards them is in good heart.

damn it that's not what he was saying.
They're all shitty but the plight of the mentally challenged is heartbreaking to most people and is usually a lot more unfortunate.
Quote by Sliide90027
But as a bigoted lemming, you have so cry an Alinslyite slur revealing you lack of reason and sense.

Quote by MusicLord16
BOB 1. ur 20 and two u like evil things and idk if u worship the devil
Quote by MetallicSka
Oh, I'm a very tolerant person, but I do enjoy to joke around from time to time. It just seems the threshold before you insult someone is a lot lower when it comes to mental disabilities.

maybe tolerating other people isn't enough. maybe we should be more than merely tolerant if we want to live in a good society.
Quote by Trowzaa
I put taking the piss out of spackers on the same level as women and foreigners.

________ A
________C
________E
________!
trebor, what?

There's a difference between chicken-gobblers, ****-suckers and shoulder-biters?
...Stapling helium to penguins since 1949.
Probably because those things can be controlled through one's own decisions and actions whereas mental disabilities are essentially put on somebody through no fault of their own.
Guitars
LTD EC-1000 vb
Ibanez RG7321

Amp/Modeler
Line 6 POD HD500

Headphones
Audio-Technica ATH-M50
Quote by NortonDevon
Probably because those things can be controlled through one's own decisions and actions whereas mental disabilities are essentially put on somebody through no fault of their own.

wut
________ A
________C
________E
________!
Quote by due 07
none of them are ok you mong.

if yr asking why people's reactions differ so much, i'd assume it's because we live in a world where people pretend racism and sexism isn't a real factor anymore, whereas we are gaining more and more understanding of and empathy for mental disabilities and shit.

this
..::fat
lard::..
A broad, a welfare recipient, and a waterhead walk into a bar...
Quote by NortonDevon

Being black/a woman is a choice?
...Stapling helium to penguins since 1949.
Quote by Todd Hart

It is for Tyler Perry.
________ A
________C
________E
________!
Quote by NortonDevon

Yes, I often wake up in the morning and decide to be a white male.

It's like making fun of someone in a wheelchair. I knew some mental kids when I was a kid, it was fun to pick on them, but looking back, it was really bad of us. Kids are mean, I think it's part of evolution, ya know.
It's because nobody cares about women and minorities. Only someone with autism thinks it's okay to make fun of handicapped people.
2013 #5 Uger
2012 #7 Uger

Quote by jetfuel495
Jesus, Horsedick, you are my hero

Quote by JayT44
don't worry guys his girlfriend is black, she said it was okay for him to say that.

Stalk Me

Shitty Covers

Original Music

Lastfm
Since when is everybody cool with racist and sexist jokes?
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Quote by Todd Hart

No, but following the sterotypes that people make fun of is.

Whereas there aren't really stereotypes for mentally handicapped people, they just kinda are the way they are. And really most racist/sexist jokes are about people being stupid. If you don't have some kind of mental disability its your fault if you're stupid, but if you do, then obviously its not your fault. Though I find that most special needs people are actually pretty intelligent.
Last edited by Danjo's Guitar at Jan 24, 2013,
Quote by Danjo's Guitar
If you don't have some kind of mental disability its your fault if you're stupid,

Erm.

Quote by element4433
Since when is everybody cool with racist and sexist jokes?

Yeah but, to say you like black women and mixed race girls or even using the word mulatto or nigga is like saying you're in the KKK these days, it's silly. Besides, people are people and there are a lot of dumb people who get butt-hurt but forget to realise it's more fun when it's diverse, so what ever to the politics, I'd just live in my Bubble with peoples who know what I'm talking about and say to Hell with your labels, I'd love who I want to.
Quote by laid-to-waste
look nigga, if you're chillin with 5 bros and 2 hos, you're gonna wanna pay attention to all of em equally. not moon over the hos forever and laugh at every shitty thing they say and just stare at them all night, like some of my mates do.
Quote by treborillusion
Yeah but, to say you like black women and mixed race girls or even using the word mulatto or nigga is like saying you're in the KKK these days, it's silly. Besides, people are people and there are a lot of dumb people who get butt-hurt but forget to realise it's more fun when it's diverse, so what ever to the politics, I'd just live in my Bubble with peoples who know what I'm talking about and say to Hell with your labels, I'd love who I want to.

as a visible minority, you should be able to understand all that is wrong with this.
..::fat
lard::..
I'm PASSED caring.

So is EVERYBODY else, in my neighbourhood; Thornton Heath.

EDIT: I'm not even saying Thornton Heath is the only place like that.
Quote by laid-to-waste
look nigga, if you're chillin with 5 bros and 2 hos, you're gonna wanna pay attention to all of em equally. not moon over the hos forever and laugh at every shitty thing they say and just stare at them all night, like some of my mates do.
Last edited by treborillusion at Jan 24, 2013,
Quote by treborillusion
Thornton Heath.

But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
Quote by VillainousLatin
I joke about all of them, you just have to know who to joke with...

You could have joked with that number girl
Quote by captaincrunk
maybe tolerating other people isn't enough. maybe we should be more than merely tolerant if we want to live in a good society.

for sure. who tf wants to be "tolerated?" it's so condescending.
Page 1 of 3