Page 1 of 4
Ian_the_fox
Banned
270 IQ
I feel we had this thread, or something similar, but searches found nothing, at least not within a few years.

Have you ever had a great album with amazing music, but you couldn't stand to listen to because the mixing was unbearable? I've found this happening primarily with modern albums, 2 in particular.

First with Tessaract's "One" album. These guys are incredible (and one of the only few "Djent" bands I enjoy), but the kick drum throuout this album drives me insane. Listen here:

Album: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3Bk8EDD_xI&feature=player_detailpage#t=58s

Live in studio, where I think it was done better: https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=XwBmhnkRGM8#t=79s

It's almost like the original's kick had too much of a "plop" sound to it. You can't hear it on small computer speakers but when I play it in either my car, my ATH-M50's, or on my Fisher system, it sounds horrendous.

There's also something about the mixing on Nile's "At the Gates of Sethu" album, like the guitars are good but sound like a scooped Metal Zone and don't cut through: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99KHIkENKBM

Plus the occasional "loudness war" album that's ruined by clipping (e.g. Death Magnetic). Remasters definitely annoy me, though I've never encountered one bad enough to ruin a whole album for me.
DonGlover
Occultist
20 IQ
Absolutely.
--------------╯╰--------------
A SIGNATURE.
--------------╮╭--------------
LightxGrenade
80 IQ
It definitely can. Though sometimes it kinda adds a bit of a nostalgia to it. Like I personally don't think Bloodbath's first album was mixed very well but I kinda liked it.
Gibson LP Studio
Taylor 518E
Washburn WD15SCE acoustic electric
Carvin DC727 (ordered! The wait is driving me nuts!)
yoman297
hi
100 IQ
Mixing is definetly one of the main parts of a good album and if it is not up to par to the music it can go so far as ruining the album.
Tarsplitter
UG's JBJ
60 IQ
usually when the mix is shit the music is as well.
Quote by fearofthemark
at your avatar

Quote by due 07
Your avatar had me in stitches for a good two minutes.
Burgery
crack hitler
81 IQ
animals as leaders
Quote by korinaflyingv
On the come up we were listening to Grateful Dead and the music started passing through my bowel and out my arsehole as this violet stream of light. I shat music. It was beautiful.
Ian_the_fox
Banned
270 IQ
Quote by Tarsplitter
usually when the mix is shit the music is as well.
I wouldn't say that entirely. There are hundreds of unsigned/underground acts that have amazing writing capabilities but have no access to good engineers/mixing guys.

Also a lot of times when a band first debuts they don't have good quality mixes (though this is starting to fade away, with the rise of the internet and the digital age). Opeth and Death are good examples.
NothingRocks
( ͡͡ ° ͜ &
61 IQ
Animals as Leaders are the perfect example of a band with great musical potential, but god awful mixing. I still don't understand how Tosin got his guitar to sound so bad. The distorted tones are like nails on a chalkboard run through a terrible digital amp.
TDS
LET'S GO PENS
50 IQ
Songs for the Deaf is too compressed, but I still enjoy the album
DOESN'T REALLY CARE ABOUT RON WILSON
stratman_13
666lb bongsession
190 IQ
It definitely can.

Not usually, but some albums are just done so badly.
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
Darkshade666
Has a 666 in his name
204 IQ
Quote by yoman297
an example of a band who consistently puts out bad mixes would be metallica

Hmmm I wouldn't agree. I'd say maybe 3 out of their 284921029472 albums (just a guess) are really badly mixed. Some albums are shit, but well mixed (Black Album, Load, Reload, Garage Inc.). I can't think of any badly mixed albums besides St. Anger, AJFA, and Death Magnetic (Sounded like pure crap).
Morphogenesis26
UG Nerd
30 IQ
Not at all. Unless the mix is downright dreadful or out of place for the music, then I judge it second to the music.
BlitzkriegAir
Attack!
40 IQ
Quote by yoman297
an example of a band who consistently puts out bad mixes would be metallica

I see you have a hateboner for Metallica. I know St Anger and Death Magnetic were terrible but everything else has sounded great.
yoman297
hi
100 IQ
Quote by BlitzkriegAir
I see you have a hateboner for Metallica.

Good way to describe it.

I just don't like any albums past MoP because they all had something that made it shit.

Not saying I don't like some songs off of later albums.
EpiExplorer
.Daerht ruoy desolc I
1,832 IQ
Quote by BlitzkriegAir
I see you have a hateboner for Metallica. I know St Anger and Death Magnetic were terrible but everything else has sounded great.

Ride the lightning sounds like it was recorded in an echo chamber.

AJFA has no bass in any of the instruments.

Master of Puppets suffered from '80's snare drum' and is quite quiet.

Metallica are not go-to people for mixes.

Worst mixes, along with production, pretty much belong to the entire black metal genre. Also, a lot of death metal has truly unfortunate mixing. Agony by Fleshgod Apocalypse, for instance, has the most insanely compressed mix that ever existed. Its such an odd mix that none of the audio peaks, yet its probably the loudest thing in existence.

I think maybe a few demo's aside, I've never heard a band I've liked then been turned off by the mix. I know loads of people who are, and they lose out on music they like.
o()o

Quote by JamSessionFreak
yes every night of my entire life i go to bed crying because i wasnt born american
Ian_the_fox
Banned
270 IQ
Quote by yoman297
Good way to describe it.

I just don't like any albums past MoP because they all had something that made it shit.
They ran out of Mustaine's old riffs?
stratman_13
666lb bongsession
190 IQ
Quote by BlitzkriegAir

*cough*
... And Justice For all
*cough*

One of the worst-mixed albums ever.

Absolutely horrible. Which sucks because it's probably their best, second to Kill 'Em All.

Quote by Ian_the_fox
They ran out of Mustaine's old riffs?

--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
BlitzkriegAir
Attack!
40 IQ
Quote by stratman_13
*cough*
... And Justice For all
*cough*

One of the worst-mixed albums ever.

Absolutely horrible. Which sucks because it's probably their best, second to Kill 'Em All.

It doesnt sound too terrible to me. Yeah its missing the bass, but its that dry metal sound that I like. Its not unlistenable because of the mix, at least not to me. Im used to listening to demos that sound like they were recorded inside a tin can so maybe I have a bit more tolerance.
whywefight
~I'm not fuckin around~
110 IQ
Absolutely. I think bad production has a huge effect on the average listener as well, even if they don't notice it.
DonGlover
Occultist
20 IQ
Quote by anvil is god
I liked One's production

Yeah, I didn't find it ruined anything for me.
--------------╯╰--------------
A SIGNATURE.
--------------╮╭--------------
Morphogenesis26
UG Nerd
30 IQ
Quote by EpiExplorer
Worst mixes, along with production, pretty much belong to the entire black metal genre. Also, a lot of death metal has truly unfortunate mixing. Agony by Fleshgod Apocalypse, for instance, has the most insanely compressed mix that ever existed. Its such an odd mix that none of the audio peaks, yet its probably the loudest thing in existence.

I think maybe a few demo's aside, I've never heard a band I've liked then been turned off by the mix. I know loads of people who are, and they lose out on music they like.

It's kind of the point with Black Metal, so I don't know if you can call it "Bad". Death Metal is hit and miss with mixing, like, I used to hate the mix in TRITSIO by At The Gates, but now the mix sounds perfect on it to me. Eucharist's 'A Velvet Creation' has an issue with the panning and the drummers can be overbearing sometimes, so there's an example of a meh mix.
smartalecG94
Just my Bronze showing
31 IQ
I know I've mentined it before, but Scream Bloody Gore by Death is damn near unlistenable for me. The mixing is SOOO awful...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4ksoIR8X4c
Quote by captainsnazz
That's some nice hair you've got there.

I'm watching you.

Quote by BottleOfSmoke
If I was a rich man in 17th century Britain, I'd totally adopt Alec and make him my heir.

People say I tan easily, but that's just my Bronze showing through.
Morphogenesis26
UG Nerd
30 IQ
Quote by ChucklesMginty
Do you even death metal?

This.

A lot of 80's and 90's extreme Metal was like that for a couple reasons. One of the reasons being that the bands had a limited budget and funded themselves for most of their landmark albums, and the other reason was that it was just an intense, jarring sound that people liked.
Josh100_3
360 IQ
Get off the metal for a tic!

Californication by the chili peppers and iggy pops "remaster" of raw power both sound awful but are classic albums musically.
smartalecG94
Just my Bronze showing
31 IQ
Quote by ChucklesMginty
Do you even death metal?

Admittedly not much, but The Sound of Perseverance was a helluva lot cleaner than Scream Bloody Gore.
Quote by captainsnazz
That's some nice hair you've got there.

I'm watching you.

Quote by BottleOfSmoke
If I was a rich man in 17th century Britain, I'd totally adopt Alec and make him my heir.

People say I tan easily, but that's just my Bronze showing through.
Morphogenesis26
UG Nerd
30 IQ
Quote by smartalecG94
Admittedly not much, but The Sound of Perseverance was a helluva lot cleaner than Scream Bloody Gore.

Honestly, I only like their last 3 releases, but TSoP had some issues as well. Specifically, the guitar tone was obnoxious, I still love the album, though.
AtaBorMan
UG's reclusive wanker
30 IQ
Yes. Just look at My Arms, Your Hearse. Good music, terrible mix.
Quote by Todd Hart
Shooting your friends with a real gun is a definite faux pas.

Quote by mystical_1
Professor Plum in the Studio with a new Amp

Quote by snipelfritz
If only I were the only one at home right now. I don't need my parents asking who Mr. Wiggles is.
Nickpocalypse
Thread Killer
10 IQ
Fly on the Wall by AC/DC has an awful mix, but I love the songs, and it gives a really great raw sound to the songs on there, which are awesome and hilarious and all around thoroughly enjoyable. Definitely one of my favourite of their albums.

inb4 all the standard AC/DC flames, but go ahead and post them anyways if you like. They're ****ing awesome.
TheReverend724
another hit, barry bonds
1,075 IQ
While I can stomach bad production in punk and emo related genres, State Faults' Desolate Peaks has a really odd bad mixing job that really makes what would have been a fantastic album very unenjoyable
Morphogenesis26
UG Nerd
30 IQ
Quote by Nickpocalypse
Fly on the Wall by AC/DC has an awful mix, but I love the songs, and it gives a really great raw sound to the songs on there, which are awesome and hilarious and all around thoroughly enjoyable. Definitely one of my favourite of their albums.

inb4 all the standard AC/DC flames, but go ahead and post them anyways if you like. They're ****ing awesome.

Standard AC/DC flames? Are they blue flames? White flames? Red flames? What are they?
STIRMling
90 IQ
Quote by Josh100_3
Get off the metal for a tic!

Californication by the chili peppers and iggy pops "remaster" of raw power both sound awful but are classic albums musically.

Yes!

I have been thinking of Raw Power this whole time, reading through the other posts.
I also get really sick of the indie rock 'tape hiss' this. It's really anoying sometimes.
Quote by macashmack
This guy right here knows his fecal matter.
theogonia777
Miss Kristen
230 IQ
Quote by Ian_the_fox
There's also something about the mixing on Nile's "At the Gates of Sethu" album, like the guitars are good but sound like a scooped Metal Zone and don't cut through:

That's what ruins that album for you? What ruined it for me was that it was awful.
Quote by Hal-Sephira
Shut the mother#%$& up, $^%got. You have a #$%^ing terrible muther&@$#ing taste in %#$@ing music, @&%$ing movies and %&$#ing video games. Every time I see you on the forums, you are always saying something overrated and some $@&#ing sh*t. You are just mother$^@%ing ignorant as a whole.

Get a #%$@ing life or you will get banned for life.

Quote by Arby911
Kristen is very open-minded; believes that everyone is entitled to her opinion...

Quote by NirvanaLuvr16
omg its better than i imagined... so dark and cozy and warm...

Read this please.
crazysam23_Atax
Feuergesicht
490 IQ
Quote by yoman297
Mixing is definetly one of the main parts of a good album and if it is not up to par to the music it can go so far as ruining the album.

This.

Also, Ian, TesseracT is boring! BORING!
█▐▌█▐▌
100 IQ
not really, the mix, strictly speaking, is too much a part of a recording's identity to really want it different. muddy or gaudy mastering can get in the way tho.
Quote by Josh100_3

iggy's mix is rad.
Page 1 of 4