Page 1 of 2
chronic_stp
876 IQ
So I wrote a song I'm very proud of a couple months back and presented it to my band at the time. We made it into a complete song and all was great. I quit the band about a week later due to some troubles that we had been having for awhile and I decided I was done with the band.

It was my intention to carry that song over with me to my next band, but a couple days ago, I was told that they were putting the song on their album and they wanted me to come into the studio to record my parts for it. I agreed, but was a little annoyed because I viewed it as them stealing my song. I am going in to the studio to record it tomorrow.

So would you guys view that as having a song stolen from you? Or did it become property of the band as soon as we finalized it into a proper song?
slipknot5678
UG Monkey
670 IQ
You should work out a deal where you both have performing rights or something. If it bugs you that bad don't go tomorrow (in a professional way obviously).

We also have a band leading forum where threads actually do get an average of ten responses.
Trowzaa
TwoWorldWars&OneWorldCup
729 IQ
The parts you wrote are yours.
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

slipknot5678
UG Monkey
670 IQ
Quote by Trowzaa
The parts you wrote are yours.

This too. Are they at least crediting you as a writer for the song?

I'm sure you'll come up with a better song later anyway. >_>
MinterMan22
only smells
763 IQ
dani california's last stand on the boulevard of broken wonderwalls
..::fat
lard::..
MinterMan22
only smells
763 IQ
Quote by ChucklesMginty
This is what happened to Dave Mustaine when he got kicked out of Metallica.

who?
Joshua Garcia
Lost boy
5,671 IQ
Dude, I fear this all the time when contemplating joining a band.

Shoots, I'm even afraid of putting my own stuff on UG. Anyone can just click play and say "Hey, I like that, why don't I use it?" and I will be left defenseless. But I guess I'm just paranoid like that.
Quote by Hal-Sephira
Have anybody went on high lately?
v Smash dat mf
rockingamer2
Larmarky Remark
408 IQ
Quote by Joshua Garcia

Shoots, I'm even afraid of putting my own stuff on UG. Anyone can just click play and say "Hey, I like that, why don't I use it?" and I will be left defenseless. But I guess I'm just paranoid like that.

Except you have proof that you came up with it first. You published it on the website. It's not fool proof, but it does prevent someone from just saying "mine!"
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
Last edited by rockingamer2 at Jan 25, 2013,
Danjo's Guitar
UG's Math/Physics Major
995 IQ
Is that band touring and with a label and stuff? Because if they aren't either one of those or both, then its really kinda irrelevant. The songs isn't worth enough to either one of you to do anything legal about it. If they are actually touring and/or with some kind of label, then don't let them use it if you don't want to. Or make them pay you. Especially because you're recording it.

Quote by Joshua Garcia

Chances are anything you post won't end up making anybody any money, so it doesn't matter. No offense, this is not aimed specifically, I don't think anything anyone has ever shared on UG has made anyone a significant amount of money.
Last edited by Danjo's Guitar at Jan 25, 2013,
due 07
haaan
2,902 IQ
of you wrote it, it should probablt tell them it's lame that they are recording it and and deny helping out 'cuz it's p rude of them. i ouldn 't imagine doing that shit. stay posi, no matter what yr gonna right cool nw songs so whatever theyb record won't make a dofference. like people are always improving yanno, unless yr a sellout.
ManInTheBox14
In lesbians with you
100 IQ
You should definitely be given a writing credit, and it would obviously be nice for both bands to have performing rights. Also, maybe whoever wrote it should get to keep the lyrics and whoever didn't should perform it with different lyrics. That may be harder to work out, though.
chronic_stp
876 IQ
Im pretty sure Ill be recieving some sort of credit on the album. And no they have not played a show since I have quit, they still have not even replaced me yet. I think the best thing I can do is just talk to them about it, see what their intentions and tell them how I feel about it.
due 07
haaan
2,902 IQ
Quote by ChucklesMginty
Are you drunk? If so, I envy you.

yeah but that doesn't change my options. ;sorry i forgot to spell check heheheh.

btw i'm in a band w/ my best friends and i don't need to worry about anyone being a dick and stealing my songs. \m/
tukk04
UG's Neil Young
1,076 IQ
Quote by chronic_stp
I was told that they were putting the song on their album and they wanted me to come into the studio to record my parts for it. I agreed...

There's your problem. Don't record it if you don't approve of them using it, that's like polishing the guillotine for your own execution.

Btw, I'm also libertarian
Last edited by tukk04 at Jan 25, 2013,
Horsedick.MPEG
Dot MPEG
770 IQ
Quote by ChucklesMginty
Are you drunk? If so, I envy you.

I figured that was just his typing style like he usually does.
2013 #5 Uger
2012 #7 Uger

Quote by jetfuel495
Jesus, Horsedick, you are my hero

Quote by JayT44
don't worry guys his girlfriend is black, she said it was okay for him to say that.

Stalk Me

Shitty Covers

Original Music

Lastfm
Trowzaa
TwoWorldWars&OneWorldCup
729 IQ
Quote by Horsedick.MPEG
I figured that was just his typing style like he usually does.

2edgy4you

Trowzaa
TwoWorldWars&OneWorldCup
729 IQ
shit got real

due 07
haaan
2,902 IQ
Quote by ChucklesMginty
I remember due 07 but I can't really remember because he changed his avatar.

a loooong time ago (like i was 13 or some bs) i was a creepy fick w/ a slene gomez avatar, but now that was a different kid. now i basically post about feminism and queer politics and diy music, but everyone hates me because every one is misogynistic and honophobic and lamestream. that's ok though because this is a semi-anonymous internet forum. anyway op should really bring shut up with his old band, because honestly that's jut not cool, simple as.

hey i remember you sayinf you were worried about becoming an alcoholic or something a long time ago , or maybe ut was someine else, but if it was you then you shouldn't envy me. 'cuz being dependent on shit probably isn't cool for you, it
s better as something you do for fun.
StewieSwan
Decent User
5,001 IQ
Meh...that's what happens when you write for a group. Consider that they like it enough to keep it even if you're not in the band. That's a compliment.
666atheist666
MinterMan22
only smells
763 IQ
Quote by Spaztikko
Dudes.

5edgy6you7evr

take that.

5edgy6you7evr

come @ me bro
Disturbed_EMG
UG's Howling Hawk
2,396 IQ
The only time I was ever in a band I wrote all the music and half the lyrics, none of them ever had a problem with me "owning" the songs.

DisturbEDIT: I ended up deciding I didn't want to do it anymore, and they were going to continue without me but I'd always thought of them as songs for that band so I had no issues with them using them even though I made them.
Not much I could/can do with 5 or 6 dodgy metalcore songs anyway.
Last edited by Disturbed_EMG at Jan 26, 2013,
TunerAddict
Real Ass Nigga
1,184 IQ
Quote by Danjo's Guitar
Is that band touring and with a label and stuff? Because if they aren't either one of those or both, then its really kinda irrelevant. The songs isn't worth enough to either one of you to do anything legal about it. If they are actually touring and/or with some kind of label, then don't let them use it if you don't want to. Or make them pay you. Especially because you're recording it.

Chances are anything you post won't end up making anybody any money, so it doesn't matter. No offense, this is not aimed specifically, I don't think anything anyone has ever shared on UG has made anyone a significant amount of money.

Forever Road make ****ing bank, so I don't know what you're talking about.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers

If women can be annoyed there arent any women incongress I should be allowed to be pissed off there are no members of pink floyd or the beatles in congress.
skylerjames13
Dude
2,068 IQ
Quote by due 07
a loooong time ago (like i was 13 or some bs) i was a creepy fick w/ a slene gomez avatar, but now that was a different kid. now i basically post about feminism and queer politics and diy music, but everyone hates me because every one is misogynistic and honophobic and lamestream. that's ok though because this is a semi-anonymous internet forum. anyway op should really bring shut up with his old band, because honestly that's jut not cool, simple as.

hey i remember you sayinf you were worried about becoming an alcoholic or something a long time ago , or maybe ut was someine else, but if it was you then you shouldn't envy me. 'cuz being dependent on shit probably isn't cool for you, it

lol we hate you cause you're gay
Quote by DonGlover

You look like a young Eugene Levy, but with a moustache.

Quote by slapsymcdougal
Quote by Dreadnought
Kicking a man when he's down, I'm proud of you

When they're down is the safest time.

Soundcloud
JohnnyGenzale
Bitter old sod
292 IQ
Quote by due 07
of you wrote it, it should probablt tell them it's lame that they are recording it and and deny helping out 'cuz it's p rude of them. i ouldn 't imagine doing that shit. stay posi, no matter what yr gonna right cool nw songs so whatever theyb record won't make a dofference. like people are always improving yanno, unless yr a sellout.

why do you type like this? O_O
sometimes I see us in a cymbal splash or in the sound of a car crash
tukk04
UG's Neil Young
1,076 IQ
Quote by due 07

Scumbag Due:
Campaigns for Gay and Women's rights.
Stereotypes everyone on UG as homophobic misogynists.
blake1221
‭‭
711 IQ
Quote by due 07
yeah but that doesn't change my options. ;sorry i forgot to spell check heheheh.

btw i'm in a band w/ my best friends and i don't need to worry about anyone being a dick and stealing my songs. \m/

Isn't it a great feeling?
Horsedick.MPEG
Dot MPEG
770 IQ
Quote by skylerjames13

You're just jelly I gave him head and you didn't
2013 #5 Uger
2012 #7 Uger

Quote by jetfuel495

Quote by JayT44
don't worry guys his girlfriend is black, she said it was okay for him to say that.

Stalk Me

Shitty Covers

Original Music

Lastfm
skylerjames13
Dude
2,068 IQ
Quote by Horsedick.MPEG
You're just jelly I gave him head and you didn't

Bitch, you did gave me head.

You gave me head while I fucked yer ass
Quote by DonGlover

Quote by slapsymcdougal
Quote by Dreadnought

Soundcloud
Horsedick.MPEG
Dot MPEG
770 IQ
Quote by skylerjames13
Bitch, you did gave me head.

You gave me head while I fucked yer ass

NUH UH!
2013 #5 Uger
2012 #7 Uger

Quote by jetfuel495

Quote by JayT44

Stalk Me

Shitty Covers

Original Music

Lastfm
skylerjames13
Dude
2,068 IQ
Quote by Horsedick.MPEG
NUH UH!

Yeah you did you slut, don't lie
Quote by DonGlover

Quote by slapsymcdougal
Quote by Dreadnought

Soundcloud
aerosmithfan95
Tab Contributor
1,074 IQ
Well, as long as you wrote the melody and lyrics, the song is technically yours. Even though the other guys in the band added an accompaniment to it, you have the rights in a legal sense. If someone wrote the melody and you put the lyrics to it (or vice-versa), then you'll both "own" the song.

You should just ask for the credits as the (or one of the) writer of the song. For performing rights, I wouldn't really know what you would do here. I think you can get royalties if they perform the song live.
Skip the username, call me Billy

'13 Fender MIA Stratocaster
'16 Fender Jaguar

Marshall Vintage Modern 2266

Pedals by EHX, Way Huge, and Boss
jontejonasson
237 IQ
DAMN THEM FOLKS! DAMN THEM!

it belongs to you. Period.
SNUS ÅT FOLKET!
In the begining everything goes good, and then it goes bad, and after that it goes good again and then you die in a bus crash - Axel Sjöberg
crazysam23_Atax
Feuergesicht
5,700 IQ
Quote by slipknot5678
You should work out a deal where you both have performing rights or something. If it bugs you that bad don't go tomorrow (in a professional way obviously).

This.

I mean, really...it was your song.
jontejonasson
237 IQ
DAMN THEM FOLKS! DAMN THEM!

it belongs to you. Period.
SNUS ÅT FOLKET!
In the begining everything goes good, and then it goes bad, and after that it goes good again and then you die in a bus crash - Axel Sjöberg
due 07
haaan
2,902 IQ
Quote by skylerjames13

shut up you rapist cunt.
beau05
UG Senior Member
451 IQ
I'm on the fence about this issue

I see it as if you write a song for a band that you currently play in, then that song belongs to the band, regardless of who leaves, even if it is the person who wrote it. That's how I've always worked anyway

I do understand however that anything one writes for a band is like cutting off a chunk of your own flesh just so the rest of the band can mutilate it into submission, but each to their own I guess.
primusfan
Conspiracy Music Theorist
5,337 IQ
it's not stolen per se. if you'd made it very clear you didn't want them to do it, then it might be. even then, you agreed to do your parts, right? sounds like an implicit agreement to me.

just make sure you at least get a share in the songwriting credits if they aren't shared by the whole band.

see: metallica - "four horsemen" and megadeth - "mechanix", etc.
#DTWD